Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darius's Games > Apocalypse World

Unread 5th of October, 2012, 10:01
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
OOC Thread

Your standard out of character information. Over the next few days I'll be posting some bare bones setting information (locations, NPCs, etc). In the meantime, please write up your characters and post them up in the Character sub-forum.

Please note: AW does deal in what can be best called explicit themes and ideas. That said, we've been kindly asked not to get too explicit. I'm going to take that to mean both with the sex and the violence. Feel free to use the standard "fade to black" technique when dealing with such things. If you have a question as to whether it is appropriate it or not, feel free to drop me a line and I'll be happy to work with you.

Setting note: The campaign is going to start in the hardhold of Muddy River, run by the warlord Barbecue. Its a medium sized settlement of give or take 200 souls. It has a market, some tall fences, and he's got a gang of hardcases working security.

Feel free to work your characters into that, and let me know how you fit in with Barbecue.

Oh, and here's a picture of him:
Unread 5th of October, 2012, 10:25
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
how much (if any) of a backstory do you want? and when do you want us to handle the Hx stuff for the characters?

Winner of the 2011 Coolest Avatar Award
Unread 5th of October, 2012, 10:50
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Fetish is up. She and Barbecue are close-knit, as close to family as Fetish is possible of feeling.
Unread 5th of October, 2012, 11:10
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Whatshername is the town doctor. She's got a clinic and a couple of apprentices, and fixes people (like those hardcases). In return, Barbeque feeds her.
She's not a local (the holding got raided and burned). She tends to be pleasant and calm, but distant.
Unread 5th of October, 2012, 11:34
Darius

You can be as detailed or as you want. Just keep in mind that Hx will influence the backstory. There should be something there though that the other players and I can get some traction with.

As for Hx, we'll do that after all characters are posted, so as to give people something to work with. Sound good?
Unread 5th of October, 2012, 14:30
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Susan "Doc" Redfield is up. "Susan Redfield" is meant to be conspicuous. Her parents were... "cultured," sort of. Everyone calls her "Doc" because seriously what kind of name is "Susan"?
She acts kind because that's how she was raised but she honestly gives no shits anymore about people suffering. Or maybe she does, not sure.
Kriss is the girl. She's perky but also a fuckup. Trigger is the guy, more low-key but competent. They're alright. Maybe someone can think of better names (I don't like "Kriss" that much).
Unread 5th of October, 2012, 15:47
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Mar is up. I'm figuring he's either a bounty hunter type who operates out of Muddy River or is just a sort of transient who comes by often enough to be recognized.

Unread 5th of October, 2012, 21:03
Darius

z- How about instead of Kriss you go with Stitches? Also- Barbecue won't feed you directly, but he keeps you with enough barter (1 per month) to keep yourself fed. You want to pay your apprentices though, that's on you.QQ

red- given the lack of law and order out in the Wasteland, you are probably better off as a hired gun/enforcer. You can still be a freelance though, no problem. Bounty hunter implies that there are people paying for bounties, and while it might come up now and again its not going to be enough to keep you fed.

Quick note on barter- it's in the form of golden age coins. Most folk drill holes through them and wear them as jewelry . Makes it easy to keep track of, makes it harder to lose, and still stays portable.

Marcus316- just waiting on you.
Unread 5th of October, 2012, 21:22
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Most of Fetish's background story would be palatable per unofficial board standards, but the last line is not. So, I'll post all but the last line. Suffice to say she is not someone to be fucked with.

Fetish took her name and look from a poster in a bombed out hardhold named Theater, the first place she really had any memory of living. By that point she was about 10, and hadn't seen her mother in 5 or 6 years. She'd never met her father. She learned self-protection the hard way, and by the time she'd made it to Theater from wherever it was she was born, it was apparent to the folks at Theater that there was something off about the girl. The hardholder, his nametag said "Bob - Manager," let her stay so long as she helped out doing some of the chores, and so long as she spread her legs once in awhile and kept her mouth shut about that. Sad to say by that point it wasn't anything really new to Fetish. Still, she seemed nice and courteous, kept to herself, and never bothered anyone.

That is, until she packed her things and left a couple years later. Bob - Manager had gone outside Theater a few days earlier looking through some of the rubbish left behind when a roving band of thugs had stopped by. He hadn't come back. Someone must have cared, but even so they didn't search too hard because he was an asshole and prone to wander off on binges now and again. People just waited for him to come back, with Bob - Manager's regular lady, Princess, taking over some of the immediate hardhold concerns as she had countless times in the past.

A week went by, and then Fetish stuffed her knives and a few other belongings into a bag and told Princess she was leaving. Princess had never liked the girl, but to her credit she did try to stop Fetish from foolishly abandoning safety. Fetish just shrugged and stepped through the guarded doorway, nodding to the guards and waving a hand briefly. A few hours later Princess went to clear out Fetish's room and found Bob - Manager. He was nailed to the floor naked. His tongue was missing, and his throat had been slashed, but from the amount and color of the blood, he'd been cut just a few minutes before Fetish had walked out.
Unread 5th of October, 2012, 21:45
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by Darius # z- How about instead of Kriss you go with Stitches? Also- Barbecue won't feed you directly, but he keeps you with enough barter (1 per month) to keep yourself fed. You want to pay your apprentices though, that's on you.QQ
Stitch (Stitches, Stitchy) works.
The idea would be that she's treated the same way one of his "hardcases" is treated, as a member of his gang. Like she actually answers to Barbecue, and doesn't just happen to live in the hold.
Though yeah that could just mean "here's money, figure it out."

e: During dry spells when there's no work, Stitches and Trigger engage in hijinks. Side jobs that would normally get Doc extra barter usually go to supporting them (or replenishing her kit).

Last edited by zachol; 5th of October, 2012 at 22:01.
Unread 5th of October, 2012, 23:46
Darius

Hey Merc- how far is Theatre from Muddy River (approximate travel time is fine)? How long has Fetish been with Barbecue?

z- give me a name and brief description of someone that Doc is friends with and would care about if somehing happened to them.

Red- Mar's father gave him something the last time he saw him. It's not valuable in and of itself, but it means something to you. What is it?
Unread 6th of October, 2012, 00:32
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Hmm, let's say Theater is a good 400+ miles away. Figure a few months of just walking barring any major setbacks. Far enough that Fetish would have to have stayed at at least one other hardhold for a few years along the way. She's currently 17 or 18. She doesn't really know. Fetish has been with Barbecue for about 3 years.
Unread 6th of October, 2012, 00:44
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Ox Face ("Ox Dude," "Ox Face Guy," "Ox") is a trader that comes by occasionally. He's got some source on old medical tech. He's also really nice and familiar with medicine (better than anyone in Muddy River, besides Doc), and Doc and Ox like to shoot the shit whenever he stays.
Ox Face is pretty big and strong. His face isn't that notable.
Unread 6th of October, 2012, 18:33
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Mar never really got anything he didn't earn or take. His father, for all that he was willing to teach his son the basics of surviving, was never going to hand him anything (even if he had had anything to give his son).

Still, that being said, he does value one thing of his father's, even if he had to take it from his cooling corpse. An amulet that shows some sort of star or another. It's metal but that's about all Mar knows about it. He's debated on trading it in a few times but just could never bring himself to do so for some reason.

Also this seems as good a place as any to mention that Mar is sort of irrationally (or rationally depending on who you ask) paranoid about Weird and otherworldly stuff. He tries his damnedest not to interact with any of it.
Unread 6th of October, 2012, 21:08
Darius

Sounds good red- go ahead and add that to your character. Also, how did Mar's dad die? Raiders? Cannibals? Did Mar do him in? Finally- does Mar live in the hardhold itself, or does he shack up someplace out in the wasteland?
Unread 7th of October, 2012, 04:38
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Mar did his old man in himself. Sort of as a "prove you're better than me" sort of thing.

As for where he lives, I'm up in the air on that. It'd probably be safer and easier for him to store his stuff if he lived in the Hardhold but he kind of strikes me as a wanderer type who drifts in and out of various places in the region.

Unread 7th of October, 2012, 05:41
Darius

Still waiting on Marcus. I'll kick off Hx Monday even if I don't hear from him.
Unread 7th of October, 2012, 07:52
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Added the amulet to his list of gear and and little vignette of Mar and his dad's last meeting.

Unread 7th of October, 2012, 08:07
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

For Hx, I may not be available until later Monday, probably mid-evening, depending on how my first day of having three classes goes.
Unread 7th of October, 2012, 23:05
Darius

No worries merc. Thanks for the heads-up.
Unread 8th of October, 2012, 05:08
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

I may be in the same boat as Merc here. I work monday morning (PST) and I'm not quite sure how long I'll be there for. I may be back as early as noonish or as late as early evening.

Unread 8th of October, 2012, 20:27
Daedalus
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #568
Hi all, I'm jumping in at the last possible second with Nils, the Savvyhead. Just posted her up in the characters sub.
Unread 9th of October, 2012, 06:14
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

What was Marcus going to play if he does join? I'm just thinking about which character fits with the Hx for Battlebabe.
Unread 9th of October, 2012, 06:27
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

He was thinking of playing a skinner

Unread 9th of October, 2012, 06:39
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Yeah, I think that if he's still in, he might be the one Fetish trusts least...