Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Black Plauge's Games > Scales of War

Unread 7th of November, 2009, 05:22
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Special Combat Rules

Expect these rules to change from time to time as the game goes on in order to tweak their effects. The point is to speed up combat resolution so that we're not spending weeks or even months just to play out 1 minute worth of game time. If you have comments about these rules or suggestions as to how to make them better, feel free to let me know.

Combat is limited to 3 rounds at level 1. Each time the players gain a new encounter attack power, the duration limit increases by 1 round. I also expect to increase the limit occasionally to account for the accumulation of daily and utility powers (though I haven't determined the pattern yet). The idea is to have there be enough rounds for all the player's use up all their encounter powers and have some tactical control over the use of their daily powers.

During the rounds which are played out, a special combat thread will be opened out in which the mechanics of the combat will be resolved. I will include hp totals and defenses for all monsters in this thread and players should do likewise for their character. When posting your action, players should include dice rolls for their actions (using the [roll][/roll]tags here on the boards) so that the other players and I can see what the results are right away.

Initiative is rolled as normal for these rounds, but monsters and PCs will be reorganized into three initiative groups with the initiative rolls controlling the order within the groups.

If a PC has the highest initiative result, then the three groups will be Fast PCs (those who beat at least half the monsters' initiative results), Monsters, and Slow PCs (those who lost to at least half the monsters' initiative results).

If a monster has the highest initiative result, then the three groups will be Fast Monsters (those who beat at least half the PCs' initiative results), PCs, and Slow Monsters (those who lost to at least half the PCs' initiative results).

In each encounter, each player gets a bonus standard, move, and minor action which they can use at any time to take an extra action of that type (like spending an action point, but these bonus actions are not action points and do not function as such for other purposes).

After the round limit is up, the total average DPR for the party is combined with the total number of hit points the monsters have left to determine the duration of the unplayed portion of the combat. This is multiplied by the average DPR for the monsters to determine how much more damage the party takes. The party gets to decide how this damage gets distributed. In addition to the players' actual hit points totals, this damage can also be allocated to unused healing powers by using said powers up.

DPR calculation rules:
  • The calculation of DPR will be done using this calculator. Each player will be responsible for templating their at-wills in the calculator (i.e. fill out all but the Context Information fields) and keeping them up to date as part of their character sheet.
  • When calculating a player's average DPR, it is assumed that they will split their attacks evenly amongst their at-wills. Players can change these assumptions by specifying their preferred split on their character sheet. This split can only be changed when the character levels.
  • Bursts are assumed to hit size+1 enemies (max number of squares in burst or number of creatures in encounter, which ever is smaller). Blasts are assumed to hit size-1 enemies (min 1, max number of squares in burst or number of creatures in encounter, which ever is smaller). Players can increase these assumptions by allowing the power to hit party members too (in which case the power is treated as an extra monster attack each round). For each party member hit by the power, the power hits two more monsters (limits still apply). These assumptions can only be changed when the character levels.
  • Once per round damage sources (Hunter's Quarry, Sneak Attack, etc.) are assumed to be in play 75% of the time when calculating DPR.
  • Context information will be filled in with averages weighted by remaining hp for monsters in each encounter and by simple averages for the party.
  • While there is no place for resistances, vulnerabilities, immunities, etc. in the context information, I will account for these in my calculations.
  • In the case of at-will powers which have rider effects which could effect DPR (bonuses to self or allies attack rolls, damage, or defenses, penalties to monster attack rolls, damage, or defenses, etc.) I will do my best to include those effects in my calculations.

Once combat is resolved, a single post summarizing the combat will be made in the IC thread and the game will continue. Players are encouraged to contribute ideas for this post if they have any.

Last edited by Black Plauge; 17th of July, 2010 at 03:42.