Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Eidolon

Unread 24th of August, 2004, 21:23
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Imagine a world where nobody has ever seen a drow, and dark elves are just a rumour. Now imagine that same world minus the drow, where they are just a myth. Now imagaine a world where there aren't even any legends about drow. That's pretty much this world.
Unread 24th of August, 2004, 23:30
CTrunks
Skeleton

Member: #715
...oh, now see, that would have been useful information. Heh...time to edit some posts...
Unread 25th of August, 2004, 03:12
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
Well, I'll chime in first one this. I don't see anything wrong with Torgan, and his leaving of dwarven society is a rather interesting twist. I'm the new guy here, I'm still kinda learning the general ropes of the game, so I'm not terribly sure wether or not the other's think your character will fit or not.

I'll leave that up to them, but I'd be willing to give Torgan a try.
Unread 25th of August, 2004, 12:23
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
One important thing to remember: this isn't just about playing a character. When you take part in the game you're agreeing to be an equal partner in the maintenance and expansion of this world. Freeform can be beautiful, but it does require more work (and sometimes maturity) than your average game. I'm not attempting to discourage you from applying, I just wanted to make sure you understood what you're getting after.

Then again, most of our plot lines suck, so take my advice for what it's worth.
Unread 25th of August, 2004, 12:48
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Hey! The gnoll plot was brilliant!
Unread 25th of August, 2004, 21:16
Gralhruk

Was there a plot there? I thought it was just a series of random encounters.

More on topic, the game has been rather slow of late. To be perfectly honest, I'm a bit concerned that adding a new player right now might serve exacerbate the problem.
Unread 26th of August, 2004, 00:40
CTrunks
Skeleton

I always thought the entire plot of "Rock'em Sock'em Gnolls" was to rescue poor Cadrius (and Cadogen) from any 'activities' the Gnolls may have had planned.

Cadrius: ...seriously, I knew that I would probably have to contribute to the plot, otherwise I would have never bothered to show interest. Or something.

Gralhruk: No idea what exacerbate means, but I think I'm insulted...
Unread 26th of August, 2004, 00:44
Gralhruk

No insult intended (plus, you spelled my name right so that earns you bonus points). All I was trying to say was that the general trend seems to be:

more players = slower game

And we're moving pretty slowly right now.
Unread 26th of August, 2004, 01:07
CTrunks
Skeleton

Well, it IS pretty darn slow right now, isn't it? But hey, who knows, a new face might help? It probably won't, but I'm optimistic, so nyah.
Unread 26th of August, 2004, 06:06
Cadrius

“ ...seriously, I knew that I would probably have to contribute to the plot, otherwise I would have never bothered to show interest. Or something. ”
Some people who have played in this game haven't understood that. We've deviated from what this game originally was: chaos. Every man and woman was for themselves and their plot, and screwing others seemed almost encouraged. From those ashes we've got a cooperative thing going on. Some don't work well with that, some do. I just wanted to make certain you knew what we're about here.

Let me reread your dwarf's background, I might have a few friendly suggestions.
Unread 27th of August, 2004, 07:00
CTrunks
Skeleton

Suggestions are definitely welcome...I'm always looking for advice on how to improve. ^.^
Unread 28th of August, 2004, 00:21
Cadrius

“ ...for the next thirty years, Torgan traveled across the northlands with his adopted clan, whose actual purpose was the destruction of the orc and goblin tribes that harrassed nearby villages. ”
He spent thirty years fighting orcs and goblins and is only level four? You might want to reign in the sheer amount of time he's spent with these people. It needn't be too short, but thirty years of combat is a long time and one would imagine he'd be far more experienced.

“ It was during one of these battles against a bugbear tribe that a second disaster struck, as a small tribe of ogres attacked the barbarian tribe from behind, catching the raging warriors offguard. ”
Here's a hook if I've ever seen one. Why did the ogres catch them unawares? They aren't exactly known for their tactical minds, so how did they manage a flanking maneuver? Could someone have been pulling the strings? Could the barbarians, in their chaotic way, have finally started to do a little damage on the population? Something to consider.

“ Torgan did the only thing he could; he ran, the screams of his dying comrades ringing in his ears. ”
So his solution is to flee from things when they become difficult? I'm trying to get a feel for this dwarf's personality and approach to life. Clearly he ran because they were routed, but afterward he decides to go look for his old clan instead of seeking out another barbaric tribe?

“ He doesn't want to face his parents, but he knows that he can't stay in the north, where he would easily be singled out... ”
Easily singled out? By who? Or is it that he's alone in the north and thus doesn't have the safety of numbers?

“ His view on civilization is more of the 'don't give a flying sack of ' barbarian, because he never dealt with the civilized people that his tribe was protecting at the time. ”
Here's my biggest worry. It's very, very difficult to pull off the barbarian who doesn't care about society without straying into the realm of Extreme Annoyance. If you want to play that angle, I wouldn't stop you, but these abrasive kinds of characters require a very fine touch to avoid irritating the rest of the players.

“ he never liked the strict discipline that was enforced in dwarven society, so when it came to him joining a tribe of warriors that weren't concerned about discipline, he couldn't resist and stayed for that reason. ”
Did they really lack discipline? Is that the word you want? If so, they would've been slaughtered long before the ogres took them in the rear (oh, that sounds dirty). I would imagine that while they might be wild, their actual fighting would be anything but undisciplined. They might not march in formation, but something tells me they had more in their playbook than "Charge!"

So it's really their philosophy that appeals to him. It's the fact that they live under the open sky, are closer to nature, and most importantly, are all free men. We haven't dealt much with dwarven society, so this is rather unfamiliar ground, but I could imagine them having a very rigid civilization (with perhaps even castes).

“ you can be sure he'll "train" a squad of barbarians, just to mock the lawful structure. Provided he finds them, of course. ”
Well, that all depends on how we eventually deal with typical dwarves. If it is indeed a caste society, I think you'd be very hard pressed to find enough chaotic dwarves to form a squad. Although I could see one or two rare kindred spirits.

“ Torgan is...interesting, I suppose. In terms of personality, he's your stereotypical dwarf, minus all the caution when it comes to battle and the love of shiny things, with a slight anger problem ”
This is fine, sort of, except he isn't your stereotypical dwarf. Chaotic is more than just rebelling, it's an entirely different outlook. The lawful dwarves, obviously, respect law and order (and not the tv show, but I bet they'd like that too). Those they hold in high honor would be the ones who sacrifice their life to save others. This isn't to say that the chaotic tribes would disdain such things, but I imagine they'd love the warrior who falls to save his tribe for his bravery and courage, not for saving the many over the few. But perhaps I'm wrong.

If you're going to push this chaotic dwarf, really make him unique. He lived with barbarians roaming the cold plains of the north. That's something most dwarves probably aren't down with. What if he loves nature? What if he loves sleeping under the stars? What if he doesn't like being in caves? Or even in enclosed areas? I want to hear more about what he likes and dislikes. What he thinks about things in life. We know he doesn't like goblins or talking about his past. How much experience has he had with other races? Ever met an elf? What about religion? What's his favorite food? Favorite song? Favorite tale? What's his weakness, his soft spot? I'm not speaking physically, but emotionally.

Obviously you don't need to explore every minute detail of him, that's part of the fun in freeform: the discovery. Yet if you can answer a few of those, it might add volumes to his personality.

“ He isn't much for idle chatter, preferring to get right down to business, and dislikes talking about his past. ”
I like the no nonsense thing, but remember our game can move a bit slowly at times. If he's not much of a chatter, it could make things a little dull for you.

“ Seeing as he hasn't seen any other dwarves in thirty years, he's afraid of how his kin might react when they see him. ”
What's the compulsion for seeing them again? Does he really want to return to that strict society? If you stick with thirty years, that's a long time, even for a dwarf. Would others even remember him? Would his parents even recognize the grizzled, unkempt barbarian before them? Just some things to consider.

Anyway, this was just what came to me as I went over his background. Take it for what it's worth.
Unread 28th of August, 2004, 00:27
itches

“ He spent thirty years fighting orcs and goblins and is only level four? You might want to reign in the sheer amount of time he's spent with these people. It needn't be too short, but thirty years of combat is a long time and one would imagine he'd be far more experienced. ”
It rounds out at about 5 years of fighting, and 25 years of heavy drinking. And I stopped reading when I realised how long the post was, and that it didn't relate to me in anyway, so I have nothing constructive to add.

Well maybe one thing.
Unread 28th of August, 2004, 00:44
Gralhruk

As usual, Cadrius asks questions that are difficult to answer. The stuff he asked me about the character I submitted to his game had me scratching my head for a few days.

My own concern is dwarves in general. We haven't really explored them at all (not even from the rear). Quite honestly, I started the game playing a dwarven barbarian and I think that's the only mention of dwarves we ever had in the game.

Anyway, without getting into a huge rant on what I dislike, I much prefer the dwaven personality portrayed by J.R.R. Tolkien (think Gimli from the books, not the movies) to the standard drunk, pick a fight, loud mouth that seems all too common in D&D.
Unread 28th of August, 2004, 00:55
Gralhruk

Oh, and the other thing is accents. I don't expect dwarves to be speaking the king's english, but they aren't freaking leprachauns either.

Ah cannae staun ta see a fookin' brogue oan every blootered dwarf oot there.
Unread 28th of August, 2004, 01:40
Cadrius

Blootered?

Cadrius: asking the hard-hitting questions since 2004.
Unread 28th of August, 2004, 01:41
Gralhruk

I think it has something to do with their behinds.
Unread 28th of August, 2004, 02:08
CTrunks
Skeleton

Hmmm...I've read the points that Cadrius brought up, and I think I'm going to change Torgan from a Barbarian to a Cleric. I have to admit, I'm using THREE dwarf barbarians in three seperate games already, so I'm going to try something new.

Last edited by CTrunks; 28th of August, 2004 at 02:44.
Unread 28th of August, 2004, 07:51
itches

“ We haven't really explored them at all (not even from the rear). ”
I move to have that remark stricken from the record.

Last edited by itches; 28th of August, 2004 at 08:03.
Unread 28th of August, 2004, 08:48
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Your just jealous that you didn't think of it first.
Unread 31st of August, 2004, 23:22
Cadrius

“ Originally Posted by CTrunks Hmmm...I've read the points that Cadrius brought up, and I think I'm going to change Torgan from a Barbarian to a Cleric. I have to admit, I'm using THREE dwarf barbarians in three seperate games already, so I'm going to try something new. ”
And will be we be seeing the new and improved background?

As an aside, my intent wasn't to discourage the dwarven barbarian concept; I merely wanted to help explore Torgan's personality further.

In other news: Torgan Stonesmasher's name seems all too much like my own dwarf Jordan Shaleshaper. Maybe it's mandatory for all dwarves to have "or" in their first name and something involving rocks or weapons in their last.
Unread 31st of August, 2004, 23:30
Gralhruk

Mavikk Ironheart, my own sentimental dwarven rogue.
Unread 31st of August, 2004, 23:40
Cadrius

A dwarven rogue? Well he doesn't count. Everyone knows rogues can't be dwarves.
Unread 31st of August, 2004, 23:42
itches

Gral, of all the characters you've played, can you count the non-rogues on one hand?
Unread 31st of August, 2004, 23:43
Gralhruk

Rina! Rina isn't a rogue!

Even though I thought she was.