Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Eidolon

Unread 9th of March, 2004, 02:02
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Since everyone else has already voiced their opinion, I'll chime in here too.

While the background itself is interesting and certianly fits into the angst ridden dark climate we have going here, you'll have to remember to keep the power level on the down low. The setting thus far has been extremely low magic, with the exception of the anomolous blip when Nestro tried to join. We ended up booting him/her out (we never did straighten out the whole identity issue) and deleting several of his/her posts.

As long as you use the background you've written to torture your character's concious, and not to grant him immense powers at unusual times, I think he'll fit in quite well in our band of misfits.
Unread 9th of March, 2004, 02:04
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Well said.
Unread 9th of March, 2004, 02:05
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
Cadrius isn't a misfit; he just doesn't belong anywhere else.
Unread 9th of March, 2004, 02:06
Gralhruk

We are all individuals!
Unread 9th of March, 2004, 02:08
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
I am a unique snowflake, just like you!
Unread 9th of March, 2004, 06:42
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
That's okay, I was pretty much keeping it as background info anyway, since the demon himself has already accomplished what he wanted (namely, the killing of the group). And he isn't a tiefling, but a regular human with a small (read 1% of 1% or something) so there really shouldn't be a worry about that. As for the utter slaughtering of others, party members included, Ben is REALLY determined not to let something like that happen again. Though he may still be susceptable to such a command, he could probably surpress the compulsion to do so, though it would be incredibly taxing on him.

I know this wasn't really asked, but i'll answer it now before it does get asked. He isn't a paladin becuase 1) we already have a paladin (a fallen one at that) so there probably wouldn't be too much good blood between them if he was and 2) I myself just don't feel any kinship twards paladins. Sure all the cool abilities are nic, and the rightous ideals are refreshing, but it really hampers what they can do. It just feel too restrictive in most cases, though my paladin Valdis is pretty fun to play as.

Okay, so pending anything drastic completely disallowing my character from joining play, I'll read up what we have so far, try to figure out an appropriate time to come in at, and post my character, not necessarily in that order.

Winner of the 2011 Coolest Avatar Award
Unread 9th of March, 2004, 06:50
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Well, in terms of appropriate entrance point, find a reason for your character to be a guest at a hidden citadel of a arcane brotherhood and all he'll have to do is pop his head out of his door.

Still, you should post your character first so that we have a chance to nitpick it. Don't forget the rather stringent limit on character wealth (1/2 2nd level or 450gp).
Unread 9th of March, 2004, 06:55
Gralhruk

To help me rest easier, can you explain a bit more how you envision this demon blood working? Is there some demon trying to influence Ben, and Ben is susceptible because he has demon blood? Or is it just a weird compulsion that came over him because he has demon blood?

As far as joining, it's convenient we happen to be at the Citadel. I think it offers a few hooks for us meeting Ben without disrupting the story.
Unread 9th of March, 2004, 07:08
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

I don't really have a concrete idea on how the blood should work, but then again, that may be a plus huh? anyway, here is what I pretty much have in mind:

It's there, and its really, really small. It doesn't affect Ben in any way, physically at least. Mentally, it would probably make him more susecptable to magical compulsion affects from demons. The blood is of a type of demon who is incredibly low on the food chain, meant only to take orders form higher level demons and do their bidding. But, becuase of the diluted nature of the blood makes it so that Ben is not necessarily incabable of disobeying demons and follow their every whims, but makes it an incredibly powerful compulsion that he feels and incredible urge to follow. Its still Ben persay when he is doing whatever it is he's doing, but he isn't doing it becuase he wants to, but becuase he feels an incredible NEED to do what the demon tells him to do. He probably gets -5 or something to any will save rolls against refusing a demons orders. Combined with the fact that the demon has to find out that Ben has this blood running through him, and the actual likleyhood of it coming into play is actually quite small. The only reason the other demon found out, is becuase of his near constant scrying of the group Ben was living with.

So, yes it may cause Ben to do things he doesn't like, but if we're facing a demon then we are really in a lot of trouble anyways. Most of the time, it probably won't even matter, but it does sound really cool when Ben is beating himself up about something that he really didn't have a choice in doing...

Unread 9th of March, 2004, 07:19
Gralhruk

Fair enough. I'll just say that if you are planning on having a demon pop in to compel Ben, please run it by the group in the OOC before you do it. And yeah, post your character first.
Unread 9th of March, 2004, 07:22
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Fair enough. I doubt I'd be like that, tossing a demon in the path of a 4th-5th level party, but yes, if I think it would be appropriate for one to show up, then i'll run it through there first.

Unread 9th of March, 2004, 07:44
Gralhruk

Good. You can post in the OOC from now on.
Unread 14th of May, 2004, 07:59
CTrunks
Skeleton

Member: #715
So, hello everybody. I haven't read much so far, but I was thinking of joining in. Do you guys need a Cleric, possibly one of St Cuthbert or Heironeous? Because I'll totally be one as soon as I finish reading everything and post my idea for a character.
Unread 14th of May, 2004, 10:15
Gralhruk

Hi and thanks for the interest. After you read up on the game, read the rules. Then (if you're still interested ) post a character idea here and we'll figure out if the character will fit in the game.
Unread 15th of May, 2004, 07:58
CTrunks
Skeleton

OK, OK, I've taken the time and liberty to read everything to the best of my abilities...which does not translate to "I read the first two topics, got bored and skipped to the current chapter"...so, I was thinking this.

[Please note that this is VERY basic, so it may not answer all immediate questions. I apologize in advance and direct the blame to my cat, who is insane. As a side note, if this looks to be in the same format as stealthbanana's, well...it is. God I'm tired/lazy/homicidal right now.]

Super Happy Fun Background Go!
"CT", Human Male Cleric of Heironeous
Clr3/Fgt1

Christopher Tancred, known by many as "CTrunks" or "CT", is an enigma to those who have worked with him in the past. Born on the edge of a mountain range called the Devil Head, he had been exposed to the art of combat almost from birth. Minotaurs, surprisingly organized despite their alleged lack of 'intelligence', had been a common sight in his village for many years before he was born and many years afterward, raiding and killing off peasants. By the age of seven, he was already training to become a fighter, so that he could protect his family from the Minotaur threat. He had no idea what was really going on...

...at the age of seventeen, 'CT' was coming home from another training session with his fellow fighters when he heard the sound of a Minotaur arguing vehemently with someone else, their words barely noticeable to any except for him. He turned to see what was going on and stood in shock as his father and the minotaur argued back in forth, speaking in a combination of Giant and Common. From what he heard, 'CT' gathered that his parents had been working with the Bullmen for many years, and that the Minotaur wanted to attack that night and finish the village off. Enraged, CT attacked the Minotaur, driving his Longsword into the base of the creature's skull, then turned on his father. His enraged state ended as his father died and, confused, the fighter left town without another word.

At the age of twenty, still wandering aimlessly across the world, CT bumped into a cleric of Heironeous who had been lost in thought as he wandered. The cleric volunteered to tend to the fighters' wounds in exchange for some information about a town that was apparently being plagued by Minotaurs. He quickly agreed and launched directly into his life story, explaining that his father had been working with the dreaded creatures (or they were working for him), and that in his shock - because his father had been adamant in the destruction of the horned monsters - he had slain both the Minotaur and his fafther and left. The cleric did not seem surprised at all and began to explain that Heironeous had possibly set this meeting up so that CT would recognize his future as a Cleric in his service. He also pointed out that CT used the same weapon that his god used, and that many clerics considered it an honour to wield their deity's favored weapon. He handed CT a roll of parchment that gave directions to the nearest temple of Heironeous and departed, stating that he really had to be going.

Eventually, after several weeks of travel, CT found the temple and was struck down by the sheer grandeur of the imposing structure. He quickly (and by quickly, I mean he was in front of a priest so quickly the priest almost had a heart attack) joined the clergy and begged to be trained in the divine arts. And trained he was, locked in a room in the basement for several weeks to focus the divine powers granted by Heironeous to help those who walked in the light and destroy the corrupt (Read: Undead.) After six years of serving as a priest-in-training, he was finally sent out by a High Priest to find a sect of Hextor worshippers, but not before being given a symbol of Heironeous made of steel, as well as a map to where the Hextor clerics were believed to be located. Determined to prove himself in the eyes of his deity, he set out...

[As I said, it probably doesn't answer any questions and is probably quite bad, but...meh, please gimme a chance! As a side note, because I should know this and yet...I don't, is this done in 3.0 or 3.5e? Because I've only got the latter...]
Unread 16th of May, 2004, 03:55
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Not bad. Heck, given our group of misfits, justified patricide is a rather tame background.

I should warn you that we have a wanted ex-paladin of Heironious in the group already. That's not to say that you can't play a cleric of Heironious, just that its most certinaly going to create some interparty tension.

As for the edition, we decided to stick with 3.0 because all the current characters were created using those rules. Given that this is a freeform game the actual edition doesn't matter too much in play, only in character creation.
Unread 16th of May, 2004, 04:03
CTrunks
Skeleton

Heh, I didn't even have that in mind when I did this...well, on the other hand, CT is incredibly naive...and he doesn't know anything about an ex-paladin, so it's all good. I'll prolly get to work on an actual character sheet later today...
Unread 16th of May, 2004, 04:28
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
He might not know of the ex-paladin, but Cadrius' reactions to the cleric should be interesting to say the least.
Unread 16th of May, 2004, 07:36
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Considering his reaction to the other paladin of Hierenious, a cleric of Hierenious should definetly create some dramatic tension.

Unread 18th of May, 2004, 02:34
Gralhruk

Please note that I have vanquished the "character name = board name" rule, so don't feel compelled to call your poor cleric "CTrunks". If anyone objects to my autonomous decision, too bad .
Unread 18th of May, 2004, 03:11
itches

One day we will rise up against your rule! One day!
Unread 18th of May, 2004, 03:14
Gralhruk

Beware, would be revolutionary, lest I disable signatures from every thread in this forum.
Unread 18th of May, 2004, 03:24
itches

Yeah, but then I would need to compensate by being more actively annoying, instead of counting my sig to do the work for me
Unread 18th of May, 2004, 03:30
Gralhruk

You mean you haven't been actively trying to be annoying?

Oh, and I suppose I should comment on the submission:
I pretty much agree with the comments thus far. The only thing that struck me as odd was your ability to kill a minotaur so easily. Aren't they pretty bad-ass?
Unread 18th of May, 2004, 03:35
itches

Minotaur? I supose i should actually read the post.

Edit: Okay read and checked.
Minotaur
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 14 (-1 size, +5 natural)
Attacks: Huge greataxe +9/+4 melee, gore +4 melee
Damage: Huge greataxe 2d8+6, gore 1d8+2
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Charge 4d6+6
Special Qualities: Scent, natural cunning
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha_8
Skills: Intimidate +5, Jump +8, Listen +8, Search +6, Spot +8
Feats: Great Fortitude, Power Attack
Climate/Terrain: Any underground
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Minotaurs speak Giant.
Tough, but not unbeatable.

Last edited by itches; 18th of May, 2004 at 03:37.