Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Eidolon

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 10th of June, 2002, 23:39
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
Cadrius frowns, opens his mouth to speak, and then closes it again. He is unsure of what to make of the situation. Here is the assassin that slew that rather blood-thirsty dwarf. She is stumbling about seemingly unaware of his presence. Not only that but she is covered in mud. How odd. She isn't even walking away, she's staggering. This concerns him, but it is the mud that bothers him the most. She did not impress him as the kind of person who would tolerate such a lack of cleanliness. Then again, she did slaughter that dwarf like a farmer would a pig. Still, if something is wrong he cannot let her wander around this surreal land.

Making up his mind he begins walking at a rapid pace to catch up to her. As he closes the distance he entertains two thoughts, one conscious, one unconscious. The first is his concern that she is so haphazardly making her way into that murky forest. The second, his mind will not allow to rise into his consciousness. However he becomes uneasier with each passing step toward the woods.

Finally closing the distance he reaches forward and puts his hand on the woman's shoulder and says, "Shade? Are you well?"
  #52  
Unread 10th of June, 2002, 23:54
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
She stops moving and one hand reaches up to brush the scar beneath her eyes. She does not turn toward Cadrius. Her dark grey eyes remain unfocused and she speaks slowly.

"And how else should I be, Ricard? Perhaps you were expecting to find me less, shall we say, mobile?"
  #53  
Unread 11th of June, 2002, 01:42
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
As she speaks Cadrius suddenly has the undeniable urge to remove hand from her shoulder. He decides that it is likely a wise decision and follows his instinct. However her voice chills him, sending goosebumps up and down his arms and legs.

Ricard? Less than mobile? What is she talking about?

The tall man has now slipped past the point of unease and into nervousness, population: Cadrius. The tone of her voice coupled with the environment and the forest in she was headed has made the man edgy.

Uncertain of what to do he clears his throat and tries to speak to her again, "Lady Shade, please, I do not think it would be wise for us to venture into the woods. Not here."

His gaze shifts to the trees and the mist. He has the distinct feeling that there is something sinister lurking there, but he cannot put his thumb on it.
  #54  
Unread 11th of June, 2002, 03:28
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
As he removes his hand he can see a change come over her face. Her pupils, tiny a moment ago, suddenly widen and she seems to see him for the first time. There is a wealth of emotion reflected therein: surprise, regret, rage, misery and even fear. Her hands move like lightning and with the faintest whisper of steel on steel her twin blades appear in her hands. She backpedals until she bumps against a tree.

For a moment, you wonder if she will attack you; she is coiled like a spring. Then you see recognition in her eyes and the emotion disappears, as if a blind was drawn across her soul.

"Cadrius?"

She seems confused, as if she was expecting somebody else. She looks around quickly, scans the trees and branches above her, before settling on his face again.

"Where is the evil bird? A vulture . . . no . . . it was a raven."

She slumps back against the tree and slides to the ground, her face grey.
  #55  
Unread 11th of June, 2002, 03:53
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
As the woman recoils Cadrius responds with a similar move. He leaps back a step and his hand grabs the hilt of his sword but does not draw it out. His jaw muscles clench as he awaits her move. However the emotions reflected in her eyes gives him pause. He had intimate experience with most of them however he had long ago given up his rage in favor of melancholy. A less fiery companion, but one that was always with him. Rage comes and goes, but a sadness that is soul-deep will always stay with you.

So as he glimpses her emotions, she sees his. There is no anger, merely sadness and a glimmer of understanding.

At last she seems to become fully aware of her surroundings. He releases the grip upon his sword and lowers his hand.

"Yes, it is I," he says with a touch of difficulty as he was now uncertain of her sanity. The peculiar behavior, calling him by another's name, the violent reaction, and the mentioning of the bird: all signs point to crazy. Perhaps that's what happens when you kill people for money. You begin to lose it. He knew of a veteran or two from mercenary companies who gradually lost their minds after all the fighting they did. Perhaps the same was true for assassins.

He glances at her, worried for both her sake and his, "Let me ask again, are you well?"
  #56  
Unread 11th of June, 2002, 04:07
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
She says nothing, staring straight ahead. For a moment, you think she may have slipped back into the haze but slowly you notice that her eyes remain lucid. She shakes her head and sheathes her blades before climbing unsteadily to her feet. The world spins crazily and for a moment she think that she may vomit. Instead, she clenches her teeth and grabs hold of the rough bark next to her. The dizzyness fades and she could once again feel the unnatural silence of the wood pressing down on her.

"I'm not sure. The sooner we leave the wood the better I'll feel."

She briefly glances at the angle and length of the shadows, and then briskly turns in the direction of the orchard. She moves swiftly and quietly on her feet but something in the set of her back indicates anger.
  #57  
Unread 11th of June, 2002, 04:35
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
He nods slowly in agreement. At least she had the presence of mind to recognize that the woods was not a safe place to be. Hell, this whole place just felt wrong. The air too heavy, the birds too quiet.

As the woman sets off the hairs on the back of her neck rise. She can feel something watching her, something other than Cadrius who can be heard making his way behind her. The metal of his banded mail gives him away, but the set of eyes feels as if it is coming from a different direction. From further off, and to her right.

Cadrius does not pick up on this as he is too engrossed with the overall feeling of the place. It seemed to behave like the real world, but just slightly different. Almost as if it were being viewed through tinted glass.

While he did not enjoy the company of Whonan's mother, he would welcome it rather than stay out in this place any longer.
  #58  
Unread 12th of June, 2002, 04:03
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
She moves as quickly and silently as she can through the wood, thankful that the underbrush is light. Her skin crawls with the feeling that they are not alone; she can feel a malvolent gaze on them even now. She halts briefly and closes her eyes. Like the cold breath emanating from a dark tomb, she can feel it pressing on her. It is pacing them, whatever it is.

She continues on for some time without speaking, wincing everytime the melancholy warrior makes a particularly loud noise. She is sweating freely now and yet the chill feeling within her grows by the minute. Cadrius notes her often looking ahead and to the right, straining to see throught the bluish gloom.

They approach a noisy stream, the steep bank slick with mud. She slows as they approach, scanning it's course for a suitable spot to descend. Moving off to the right, she steps lightly down to the stream and kneels by the water's edge. Pulling a square of cloth from somewhere within her cloak, she dips it in the stream and rinses her face.

She stands and shivers before turning to Cadrius for the first time since they started moving. Her voice is calm although her features are strained. She folds her arms for warmth before speaking.

"There was no stream between us and the orchard. We should have been out of this wood already. I would say we are lost, though I have not lost my way in a wood since I was a little girl."
  #59  
Unread 13th of June, 2002, 01:11
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
The man slowly nods his head in agreement. At the first sight of the stream his heart fell. The way to Shade was but a simple path through the orchard. The way back seemed to be a constantly shifting maze.

What troubled him more though was that she repeatedly scanned the area to her right as they traveled. Almost as if she was expecting to see something. Perhaps her trip out here had taxed her mind. Perhaps she sensed something more specific than he did.

For the first time in a long time Cadrius wished he had taken a different branch in his life. Had his decision been different he would be better equipped for their current situation. However he quickly dismissed those thoughts. He could not have chosen differently, and if he had he would not likely be where he is today.

As he responds to the woman's comment his eyes glaze over. He responds to the present question, but his answer seems to delve further and answers an unspoken one.

"Yes, you are correct. Although I think it is far easier to get lost than most people believe. All you need to do is take a few steps. Some people try and find a way out. I say the answer is to become more lost. Perhaps then you are able to understand more about where you are."

He snaps out of his reverie. It was neither the time nor the place for introspection. He still was unable to put his finger on it, but everything about them was still wrong.

"What do you suggest? I would not be caught here after nightfall. Although I fear we are running out of time. Either we are lost or this place changes randomly."

Or something is leading us, an unbidden thought whispers.

The woman still feels the presence that has followed her thus far. It seems to be located somewhere off to the side of Cadrius who is still oblivious to it.
  #60  
Unread 13th of June, 2002, 02:45
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
She stares at Cadrius, listening to his theories on losing oneself and finding your way. She rocks back and forth on her heels and spends a moment brushing the mud from her clothing as if she has just noticed it. Running her fingers through her hair she turns her head once again in the direction of the evil presence she feels. She is pale and sweating and the odd light makes her lips appear blue; she shivers again. The cold wind is slowly freezing her soul.

How dense is this man that cannot he not feel it?

She looks at him again and is irritated by his slight frown. She stands straighter under his scrutiny, trying not to think about the look he'd given her earlier, when he'd woken her. Dreaming. She'd been dreaming, and then he was there. She'd been so sure it was Ricard, though why she'd expect him made no sense at all.

He probably thinks I'm crazy.

As he voices her own concern of being trapped in this place in the dark she snaps back to the present. There was nothing to be gained by staying where they were. She chewed her lip and hugged herself tighter. What to tell him?

Maybe I am crazy.

"I think we need to keep moving. The question is to where. I have an idea, but first I would ask you to do something. Close your eyes and forget that you have them. Dismiss your ears as well. Put this place out of your mind and concentrate; tell me if you can feel . . . anything."
  #61  
Unread 13th of June, 2002, 05:53
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
Cadrius raises his eyebrows as the woman instructs him to concentrate. He grudgingly does so and shuts his eyes to the mud and the water flowing a few feet in front of him.

"What do I feel? I feel this place. I feel how it is like where we came from, but different. I feel how wrong it is," he says finally saying what he had been thinking for so long.

He begins to say something else before suddenly stoping. There was something else she was getting at. Yes the very land itself seemed different, almost as if it were alive. However there was something else, something different, something smaller, and something nearby.

For the second time in four years he curses himself for the path he chose. He cannot discern what it is but he can feel it.

Slowly opening his eyes he gives her a slight nod and his gaze shifts to his right. He cannot see it, but he knows that it is there.

Suddenly Shade can feel the presence intensify. It begins growing more substantial with each moment. She can almost feel what it is with her mind. She cannot see it's form but she can feel that it is human, or human-like. A malevolence hangs off of it like a cloak and for a moment she believes that it will appear directly next to Cadrius.

Then it is gone.

Without warning or perhaps because it knew it had been detected, the presence has fled. Yet the overall feel of the land has not changed, not at all. There is still a fundamental feeling of wrongness here.

Cadrius whispers partially bewildered, partially angry, and partially afraid, "what was that?"

He looks at Shade and then back at the spot next to him before saying, "Let us make haste." His blue eyes show worry, but it is not for fear of being attacked, but for fear of where they were.

He strides to the knee-deep stream and says, "I will carry you across if you need it. The last thing either of us needs is to fall ill out here."

Mud, how wonderful. Perhaps we can wade through some of those pricker bushes and then travel through a graveyard afterward.
  #62  
Unread 13th of June, 2002, 23:30
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
"Whatever it was, better that it is gone. It has been shadowing us since you found me."

Then he could fell it as well. Perhaps my senses have not yet left me.

She shifts her feet slightly and drops her eyes. Yes, he had found her - vulnerable, incoherent, and lost. She felt a stab of anger that he had seen that, though he at least had the grace to keep his mouth shut. She was angry all the more that she had seen a glimmer understanding in his eyes. She wasn't ready to acknowledge that others had visited the ruined depths her mind had made home.

"Haste will not help if we don't know the way. We can continue on across the stream in hopes that the orchard still lies in the same direction we left it. If that were the case, though, we should already be there."

Ignoring his offer of help, she pulls her cloak around her. Her eyes move to the spot where the prescence had emanated from. Gone, now, but for how long?

"I think this thing, whatever it was, has been herding us along. Perhaps we should go where it did not want us to go."
  #63  
Unread 14th of June, 2002, 01:46
WhoNAN's Avatar
WhoNAN
Dracolich

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #7
Location: Florida - USA
Posts: 321 (0.06 per day)
While the others leave, Whonan lets them, seemingly wrapped up in a silent conversation with the others.

Eventually it subsides.

We shall probably get them out of there soon....
He says wildly amused.... starring at the ceiling now showing visions of the two others wandering about.

In time, they shall need to learn a few things before you set forth, it be best under supervision, rather than where I shall not tread. The maturnal woman replies.

.............

Back in the forest of spirits....

The shadows earily haven't shifted a bit although it is hard to see while covered under the dense canopy which grows ever thicker, while the two venture further into their own creation... their very fears hinting and poking out from every twist and turn, as their thoughts give them more and more life.

Cadrius looking up from the stream sees on the other side a robed figure... wearing symbols that he knew all to well, saying nothing but starring a hole through him.
__________________
Winner of the 2002 Coolest avatar of the year award?
  #64  
Unread 14th of June, 2002, 03:37
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
Cadrius nods, understanding the reasoning but still not liking their choice. If it were up to him he would set a gruelling pace straight ahead. Either he would drop or they would find shelter and he did not find one more appealing than the other.

He notes her silent decline of his offer of help. He did not expect her to accept it, but some old habits die hard. He swallows relfexively at the thought. This place had a way about making your remember things you had forgotten. It excavates the negative, the haunting, the dark part that everyone posesses.

"Possibly, but I would feel better if we would at least travel in a straight path," he says knowing it likely would not matter what direction they walked in. The land was shaping according to someone or something. Whatever was responsible, it was not a benevolent force. That much Cadrius was certain about.

So they continue their journey. They move with the current downstream. The stream does not flow quickly and carries a rather unpleasant stench to it. Where some brooks would babble, this stream merely sulks. It eeks its way along emitting a foul odor about on the same level as a carrion crawler's urine. Further upstream it had appear relatively sanitary, but now it was nothing but filth.

Cadrius' unease had briefly waned once the presence had apparently fled, but as he makes his way by the stream the feeling quickly returns. A growing sense of dread seeps its way into the man, it oozes through his poores and permeates his body. The longer he walks the more he wishes he was anywhere else but in these woods. And the shroud of despondency envelopes him fully.

That is when he sees him. Standing on the opposite side of the foul stream. The white robes with the symbol of a fist clenching a lightning bolt on one breast and a griffin grasping a rose on the other. He is a paladin of Heironeous, and a Knight of the Griffin. He is Cadrius' brother. He is dead.

Or at least he should be, yet he stands before the man as clear as day. The white robes coupled with the symbols mark him as a new member of the knighthood, above a squire but still below a full-fledged knight. This is exactly how Cadrius last saw him four years ago.

He even has the same cuts from when...

Cadrius' thought ceases in mid sentence. The air around him seems to slow and condense, weighing heavily upon his body. His breath becomes labored and his arms and legs feel as if they have suddenly had anvils tied to them.

For you see, if Cadrius is seeing his brother in that state, then that means there is someone else here. Someone Cadrius wishes to forget but cannot. The one person in the world that he wronged more than his brother.

Uncontrollably his head turns further to the right and gazes across the stream to another figure dressed in white robes. The difference is that she does not bear any symbols upon her simple dress.

Cadrius blinks slowly, wishing the spectres of his past to vanish. Yet when his eyes open they are still there. His brother's jaw clenches and he walks through the foul stream not seeming to care about the muck and filth that travels up to his knees.

The man stands before Cadrius and the resemblance is remarkable. They both share the same dark hair and fair eyes. Although the brother appears to be about a hand shorter it seems that Cadrius is looking up at him.

"No," is all Cadrius can whisper. Feeling the wrenching pain inside, knowing what must come next and helpless to alter it. His hand slides down to his sword, past the pommel where a symbol of a hand clenching a lightning bolt and be seen, and onto the hilt. He slowly draws the blade, his arms still feeling weighed down. Then it begins.

A broadsword and a shield are suddenly in his brother's hands and he lunges. Cadrius does not tell his muscles to move, he does not want to parry the incoming sword blow, but he knows he must and that he will. He has been in this fight before, he knows how it will end and it tears at his soul.

There is a flurry of blows exchanged between the two and Cadrius is driven backward. His feet almost slip in the muck but he holds his ground. His brother was always fond of attacking high, low, and then high again in an effort to throw off his opponent. Cadrius never had been fooled by it but his brother attempted it anyway.

Metal rings on metal as blows are parried, blocked, and returned. He grimaces in pain as the tip of his brother's sword slips past his defenses and leaves a crimson line across his forearm. He grits his teeth and redoubles his assault feeling the old rage slip back into him. It's like seeing an old friend that has been away a long time. Part of Cadrius loathes it, part of Cadrius accepts it, part of Cadrius relishes it.

His brother is now on the defensive from the quick, powerful swings delivered by Cadrius' bastard sword. The anger is upon him now, casting aside his cloak of despondency in favor for one of blind rage. His brother's defenses falter and then fail. Cadrius makes two quick, clean cuts, one along the arm, one along the side. His brother falls backward an collapses to the ground in pain.

Normally the fight would have been over, the duel was settled, but it was not enough for Cadrius. His brother had betrayed him, he had stolen the woman that he loved and had humiliated him in front of the other knights. Cadrius would make him pay, Cadrius would finish him.

He lifts his sword overhead and prepares to slay his brother. There is no hesitation and he brings the point of it down in a wicked thrust aimed at his brother's belly.

This is where time seems to slow down again. He hear's a shriek and a woman cry the name, "Ben!" Suddenly she is there, leaping in front of his sword. His mind and soul scream in protest but he is helpless. He cannot alter the course of the sword. He is but a prisoner capable only of watching.

The blade enters her stomach easily and slides straight through the other side and into his brother. A bit of crimson seeps out where she has been impaled. She chokes for air and stares at him with impossibly wide eyes. All that can be read in those eyes are pain. She had betrayed him, and thus he had betrayed her. The only difference was his was much more lethal. She does not have the breath to speak and is only capable of mouthing one word to him. Why?

Ben, his brother, finds her hand with his and that is how they leave this world, their hands clasped while being run through on the same blade and a pool of blood growing around them.

Cadrius' shield drops from a nerveless hand. His arms and legs had seemed to heavy to lift but now they felt too weak to hold him.

He collapses to his knees a broken man. Holding his head in his hands he let's his dark brown hair cascade in front of him. Old wounds have been reopened and for the first time in four years Cadrius weeps.

--

Shade hears Cadrius whisper, "No." She turns about to see him draw his sword, staring off at a point immediately to his right. He then proceeds to engage in a furious battle with thin air. He rocks under the blows from his imaginary opponent and attacks back. His face slowly twists with rage as the fight progresses until the very end where he seemingly vanquishes his foe. The anger is broken and all that is left is despair.

He drops his sheld and falls to his knees. He weeps as if he were responsible for the end of the world.
  #65  
Unread 14th of June, 2002, 22:22
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
Shade moves on resolutely, the chill worming it's way into her bones. Her fingers feel numb and she hugs herself tightly for warmth. Cadrius moves along implacably behind her; heavy of heart and foot. The stream beside them quickly turns to a noisome, sucking quagmire almost laughingly appropriate next to the slick, blue-black trees.

The sickening stench combined with the odd light was making her head ache. She is cold and tired, her mind churning with the things she has seen and the things she is afraid to see. She is so lost in her own nightmare that she continues on for a few steps when Cadrius stops. The deafening sound of silence startles her into realization. Turning, she sees the man but it is clear he no longer sees her.

She begins shivering uncontrollably at his whispered No, and she drops to a crouch suddenly more afraid than she has been before. She watches, stunned, as he engages in futile combat with the unseen. She is frozen, unable to move, and yet a nagging thought worms it's way into her mind. His anger is terrible to behold, the sword whistles and hums as he thrusts and parries. This is the most alive the man has seemed since she met him, and that scares her more than anything.

As the mock battle completes he sinks to the ground, overcome with emotion, directly opposite her. She stares at him, uncomfortably aware that they must appear distorted reflections of one another. It is then that she feels the chill wind blowing on her again, this time from across the stream. Shaking, she rises and approaches the man, unsure what to do. She gives a nervous glance at the unseen presence before turning back to the man before her. A light rain begins to fall.

"Cadrius. We must go. NOW."
  #66  
Unread 18th of June, 2002, 00:43
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
Cadrius remains on his knees, his weeping ceased, and stares vacantly at the blade embedded in the ground before him. All of his strength and courage did not save him then, and it would not save him now.

Within his mind he sees them dying over and over again. Their lifesblood expanding outward on the ground like a blooming rose. Their eyes, full of pain, slowly losing focus as they lose their hold upon the world.

"Cadrius. We must go. NOW."

The voice echoes in his mind turning about, but it is not Shade's voice that he hears. He is suddenly back in the days before his fall, when he was still a new recruit. There is fighting everywhere, men in steel charge other similarly clad men. Cadrius stands by his friend's side and attempts to hold the line.

Their side is heavily outnumbered and they are taking severe losses. Those that are not locked in combat with an opponent are fighting with death himself as they bleed.

"Cadrius! We must go! NOW!"

Again he hears it, more insistent. He looks to his left and sees his friend shouting to him. Their commander is screaming for a retreat so as to avoid a total massacre.

The sky is temporarily darkened, they duck behind their shields as a hail of arrows crashes down. Miraculously he is unharmed and he staggers to his feet attempting to move back. He sees his comrade, his friend Hale twisting in pain. An arrow has punctured his armor and driven itself deep into his thigh.

Cadrius reaches down and grabs his friend's arm as he pulls him backward through the mud, amidst a torrential rainstorm. Suddenly the weight gets lighter, he turns around smiling perhaps Hale had found the strength to walk. The smile dies on his lips as he sees he is only holding a severed arm.

The man screams in horror and flees the field of battle.

Suddenly he looks up with a start and is back in the same world as Shade. He closes his eyes for a moment and shakes his head, attempting to clear the horrific images that haunt him.

He opens his eyes again and slowly climbs to his feet. The mud he had knelt in sucks greedily at his armor and it is difficult going. Slowly but with grim determination he picks up his shield and retrieves his sword from the mud. He wipes the blade along the edge of the sheath before replacing it.

He looks up again at Shade. His face is different, he suddenly looks older than his twenty two years. There are a few lines around his eyes which have taken on a new emotion: exhaustion.

He begins to walk again, offering a brief apology to Shade.

A light rain has begun to fall.
  #67  
Unread 19th of June, 2002, 22:59
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
She pulls her hand back as he begins to rise, looking once again like the forlorn man she remembers. Almost like she remembers, but his pain is fresher. What did he see and who did he battle?

It will all be immaterial if we do not win free of this place.

He is almost in a daze and Shade is fearful that he will be overcome once again. She feels the cold wind at her back and this time the chill threatens to overwhelm her. Dark images tug at the corners of her vision and for a moment she considers running back the way she came.

Instead, something else wakes up insider her. Anger, rage, vengeance; they were the same things that had driven her for months now, the same things that had kept her from the pit of despair. She would not run this time.

Glancing back to make sure that Cadrius is following, she turns in the direction of the evil she knows is there. Swords drawn, she eyes the sludge of the once-stream and then moves toward a fallen tree that bridges the muck. Without slowing she crosses the narrow beam as if it were a paved road. The evil intensifies but she is resolute. The hunter will become the hunted.
  #68  
Unread 20th of June, 2002, 00:00
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
Cadrius trudges forward, his jaw slack. His eyes remain blank, distant and unconcerned with his surroundings. His body steers him while is mind attempts to cope with the recent pain. He does not register the the rain that has begun to fall, nor does he comprehend Shade's increasing rage. If he could he would likely have found it bitterly amusing that the two of them display such similar emotions.

Meanwhile his mind is locked away, locked in torment. Waves of pain roll and break upon him, a rock amidst a sea of agony. Yet where water might cool and refresh a person, these waves burn him with a searing pain.

It was somehow worse this time, worse than his nightmares where he relived the horrors of his life, worse than his memory of the events, worse than when he had lived through these things. The forest was magnifying his pain and feeding upon it. Each moment of agony fed it and in turn the forest poured pain back into the man causing his suffering to grow.

A small part of Cadrius, the edge of the rock that was still above the surface of the sea, realized that if he did not recover the pain would kill him. He did not have to dismiss it, or fail to acknowledge it, these things would haunt him for the rest of his days. Yet he could no longer allow himself to be controlled by them, not here, not now.

His steps slow and then stop. His breath becomes deeper, and there is a ripple of muscle as he clenches his jaw. Shade turns around realizing that Cadrius' footsteps can no longer be heard. He stands ten feet back, his eyes closed, his head bowed, and his fists balled. He looks as if he is ready to fight more phantoms.

Within his mind Cadrius battles for control, he lets his anger, his rage wash over him, soothing him like the water should. This forest, this land was doing this to him. Perhaps he could never make amends for what he did, but he would not end like this, not now.

So where there was once barely the tip of a rock sticking out of the ocean there is now a small island. The waves still lap at him, Cadrius welcomes the pain, it feeds his anger and his anger protects him, for now.

He opens his eyes and Shade can see a real measure of awareness in them again. His rage is back, but it seems more controlled, more focused. He nods his head and places his hand on the hilt of his sword and walks next to her as they begin moving again. He does not say a word, he does not have to. Shade understands that he is back, and determined to leave this place. He will not fall so easily again, he will make sure of that.
  #69  
Unread 20th of June, 2002, 01:20
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.38 per day)
Somewhere else

In a semi open clearing of mist shrouded forest there is no movement. It seemed as if the clearing was stuck in a moment of time. No animals to be seen nor heard and not even the mists are moving. Only the slow buzzing of unseen insects betrays the fact that this is real and alive.

Suddenly something in the clearing changed something that has not occurred here before, nor would occur again. A portal opens.

Hanging about 5feet above the ground and horizontally, the portal is a well of darkness. Once again something in the clearing changes, one which will alter the clearing forever. Someone falls out of the portal to land face down in the mud.

The moment he landed the portal winked out of existence. After a dazed moment of lying in the mud, Itches jumped to his feet. Grasping his left hand with is right, he tore a ring that sits on the finger, off and threw it into the Mud.

Staring at the glimmering ring as it lies there itches cursed and stomped on it several times, attempting to drive it further into the mud. Removing his foot to find that it remained there still, Itches cursed for a second time. Drawing his sword, a fine looking Rapier he stabbed at the ring, once more attempting to drive it beyond his sight. Instead all he managed to do was hook the ring onto the blade.

Looking on the ground once more he searched for the ring. Not seeing it this time the man gave a triumphant grin and raises his sword in salute - only to discover the offending ring now only inches from his face. Giving a horrified squeak, Itches threw the sword from him in revulsion, causing the ring to slide off and disappear from sight leaving only the sword to land on the indention on the mud left by Itches impact.

Leaning over to carefully inspect the sword blade and finding the ring not in evidence, Itches swiftly snatched it up and reattached it to his belt. Doing a rushed search of the area around where the sword landed, and not finding a trace of the now missing ring, he let out a sigh of relief

"Now to work out where I am, and how to get out of here"

Looking carefully at the flora around him and searching in vain for the sun in the sky above, eventual the half-elf determined what he believes to be north and he set off in that direction

"When in doubt head north," Itches quoted as he took step after step in a westward direction. "Just as Lilly used to say"

As he left the clearing, a ruby encrusted golden ring, the very one discarded by the departing half-elf, glow a deed red for a moment before fading back to its normal glint. All of which went unnoticed under its thin covering of mud.
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches

Last edited by itches; 22nd of September, 2005 at 02:55.
  #70  
Unread 21st of June, 2002, 05:56
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
One look back at Cadrius tells her all she needs to know. The man's eyes glow hotly and she can feel the anger coming off him in waves. Truly, he seems the warrior now, not the broken shell that had trudged along since their first meeting. She moves through a sea of emotion: the hot wind of rage pushing her from behind as she wades through the chill breath of fear that billows from her unseen enemy.

Between those two she is the eye of the storm, calm but bringing death with her. The evil presence once again intensifies and she feels only excitement now, her fear swallowed by her new resolve. Once again, just before it grows strong enough to actually materialize it winks out of existence.

She stops, unwilling to let go of the hatred that has driven her to this point, and waits.

And then it comes. At the limit of her vision, she can see something stir in the leaves that litter the slick ground. Something is rising there, as though vomited from the forest floor. It steps closer, slowly, it's axe held loosely in both hands. It is a dwarf.

Not just any dwarf, though. She recognizes it from the many months she followed it. It is the dwarf she killed not so long ago, still dead, and looking considerably worse than the last time she saw it. One eye is a teeming nest of maggots, the other dull and splotched with red. Skin hangs in tatters, scraggly hair is matted and falling out. The wound she dealt remains, a gaping slit across the throat from whence a low shrieking emanates.

It would seem her past has returned to haunt her.
  #71  
Unread 21st of June, 2002, 06:08
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.14 per day)
Just fog and forest, forest and fog.
“ Could not have been worse for Master Xuan Cang when he came West looking for the holy scrolls”, thinks the petite woman, trying to avoid the patches of mud, but the thought isn’t much of a consolation. She has not seen another human being for the last three days and, as strange as the people here is, meat-eaters and milk-drinkers whit many-hued hair and eyes, she would welcome any sign of civilized presence.
As if the Lord Botahara himself had heard her unspoken prayer, a loud splash sounds to her left, followed by angry comments in one of the local tongues, Maeko doesn’t need to understand the words to recognize colourful cursing. She moves towards the sound, possibly another traveller needs assistance.

Trying to get out from that accursed mud-bath, Itches slips again, falling with a resounding splash. Pausing for breath in his litany of curses he hears soft steps approaching.
“ That’s just right” he mutters “with my luck some brigand just heard me”.
“ Don’t you dare…” he starts when the tall brushes in front of him open to reveal a …person.
At first sight he’s unable to determine the newcomer’s sex, it is petite, wearing a light grey outfit of exotic design splattered with mud, its features are regular, what it’s surprising is that its head is totally bald, probably on purpose given that it show signs of hair re-growth.
“Do you need help?” It asks in somehow hesitating Common, and now Itches knows ‘it’ is female.
“ I would welcome it, my lady” he answers corteusly
After considering his predictament for a few moments, the woman gathers a few dead branches and sticks and throws them into the mud patch; with better attrition and her help Itches is soon able to stand on firm ground.
The woman eyes him critically: “ You need to dry, otherwise you catch cold”.
He sneezes, nodding agreement.
The stranger busies herself gathering dead wood and soon the two of them sit in front of a fire, feeling the dampness go out of their clothes and bones.
__________________
Maeko

Portrait Adoption
  #72  
Unread 23rd of June, 2002, 02:04
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.38 per day)
Itches sits in front of the fire, shivering slightly and considering his new found companion.

Suddenly breaking into speech he asks. "Did you know that you have no hair?" Moving on before Maeko can respond he begins to ramble. "I don’t particularly like this place. Too much mud and wet and mist. But it is all part of the adventure. That’s why I’m here. I'm on an adventure. I set out from home to get glory. I got to this forest . . .actual I don’t remember how I got to this forest. What is this place anyway?"

Moving on once again, before Maeko can respond, she settles back to wait out his ramblings, and enjoy a quiet laugh at the slightly foolish Half-elf.

"But I came on the adventure to seek glory so I can ask Lilly back home to marry me. I don’t have much to offer so seeking fame in some far off place is the best. Why are you here"

With a sudden cry Itches leaps forwards, and almost into the fire, sending Maeko back in a moment of alarm at the sudden movement. His face looking pale, or as pale as can be told behind the coat of mud that covers him head to foot. Pointing a finger at the bald-headed woman Itches stutters "y-your not not-t a b-bad guy a-are you"

As Maeko gets up to reassure the trembling, mud covered Man, Itches gives a squeal, and falls into the mud, once again. This time from Fainting in fear.
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #73  
Unread 23rd of June, 2002, 02:55
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.14 per day)
" These Westeners are even stranger than I thought" murmurs Maeko to herself while she slaps slightly Itches to revive him.
She regrets her poor mastery of the common tongue, if it had been better probably the poor man would have been spared a fright.
He moans, starting to come to.
" You better now? My name is Maeko, I ask forgiveness if I scared you, ...and yes", she adds with a quiet smile " I know I have no hair".
__________________
Maeko

Portrait Adoption
  #74  
Unread 23rd of June, 2002, 06:41
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
Cadrius strides forth, continuing to allow the anger to flow through him, to protect him. He did not yet have an idea as to where they were headed but it did not matter much to the man, he knew only that were something to cross them, it would be sorry.

So it is with a bit of confusion that Shade stops and begins looking out of the corner of her eye. She sees something, but what? The man cannot figure it out. He looks around warily and keeps his hand upon his bastard sword, ready to defender her and unleash his mounting rage.

"What do you see," he asks quietly.

She had already suffered a visit from the past, and he had seen two. He feared that he may not be able to help if she were to be taken by a memory again. Indeed, he might be at risk merely attempting to keep her under control. He wonders for a moment what it must have been like to see him fighting what he thought to be his brother. The rage flickers for a moment, the sea of agony rises. He dismisses the thought with a shake of his head and the fury reignites.
  #75  
Unread 24th of June, 2002, 09:40
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.38 per day)
Meanwhile, back at the campfire:


Itches and Maeko both sit on either side of the campfire, drying off and observing each other.

Maeko comfortable enough in the silence draws some conclusions about the other.

From an strange society or not, it cant be normal for people to just faint like that. This one seems . . .innocent somehow.

Itches also considers his bald Companion, but he speaks his words out load.

"So if you’re not an evil person trying to rob or kill me, what are you doing in the middle of . . .what ever this place is. I mean I know how I got here."

Itches pauses for a moment and seems withdrawn.

"Actual no I don’t remember how I got here. Are there any other people around? Towns? Fallen Paladins?"
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 19:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren