Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Eidolon

Closed Thread
Unread 2nd of March, 2006, 08:59
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
"It's quite simple really," Ben said, rolling over to rise up and face where Nicos and Blarth were. He'd woken up when Cadrius had shouted and had only heard what seemed to have been the end of a rather heated arguement between the bard and Shade. After which the woman had promptly left.

"Our esteemed friend Nicos here has just driven Shade off." Ben looked around and noticed that Cadrius had left as well. Ben wondered if he should go and find the other warrior as he turned his attention back to Nicos. "Though the reasons for him doing so are a bit lost on me at the moment."
Unread 4th of March, 2006, 00:56
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Nicos restrains from glaring at Ben and kicks viciously at the ground. That was not the way he had wanted the discussion to go, and as his anger started to fade he found himself wondering whether or not Shade leaving was a good or a bad thing.

"You must have missed the part where she admitted to murder."
Unread 4th of March, 2006, 03:47
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
"What murder?" Blarth asks, "I'm fairly certian I heard the whole conversation and I don't recall Shade admitting to a murder."
Unread 7th of March, 2006, 03:09
itches

Instead of directly answering Blarth's query, Nicos launched into an improvised mimic of the conversation he just had with Shade.

"Shade," he began with an overly deep voice to represent himself. "I accuse you of being a murderer!"

"So I am," he replied in a bad mimic of Shade's voice. "And now that you have discovered my dark secret I'm going to run away, because that never gets old. Plus the sexual tension between me and Cadrius is becoming really annoying. I don't know why I don't just @#$% him and get it done with."

Noticing the lack of comprehension in his companions, Nicos explains in his normal voice.

"I noticed that Shade was cleaning blood from her sword tonight. Blood that - as far as I could tell - had no right to be there as we haven’t fallen into any fights over the past couple of days. Stranger still is that I would swear that the blood wasn't there before she stole our boat.

"You heard our argument; I accused her of killing someone to get it. Her exact reply was 'So I am.' Not exactly a confession but closer to that then a denial."

Setting a grim look on his face, the bard adds one last thing.

"And you didn't see the look of guilt that she got when I said it."
Unread 7th of March, 2006, 17:53
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
Patience serves him more faithfully than any servant and it stays his tongue when he might otherwise lash out at Shade’s parting words. That she would lecture him even now causes him to seethe, but silence is his truest companion and he is content to whip the broadsword to and fro, cutting through the air with heavy chops. She leaves him now, responsible for the safety of the others, and still two weeks away from their destination. Cadrius might be able to navigate the perils of the river well enough, although if the reach rapids they will need to pull ashore and walk, but he is still no woodsman. In such matters he is an acolyte at best, having spent too many hours in the practice yard in his youth. Yet most of all, her departure angers him because now he cannot leave the others.

She’s going to die alone, with none that love her or will mourn her passing. The thought plays dispassionately in his mind. Pity is an emotion that is well known to him, but he wishes it would not arrive when he thinks of Shade. The ability to change, and her refusal to do so, has always been her decision to make. Instead, she embraces the darkness within. Cadrius may never walk in the light again, not as he used to know it, but he will not simply give himself over. And that is one difference which can never be reconciled between the two.

The ancient sword cuts through a thin branch easily, sending the wood spinning into the dark. His mouth twists into a wry smile. Shade has done him a boon by leaving now. Of all his companions, it would be leaving her that would have caused him the most discomfort. Love is not a thing for people like them. The best they can ever hope for is solace and to forget the sins of the past. But Shade doesn’t want to forget them.

He jams the blade back into its sheath and strides back toward camp, arriving at the end of Nicos’s explanation.

“Shade is gone,” he says. “She was free to leave at the time of her choosing, as all here are. In these lands she will do well on her own.” His eyes settle on Nicos. “I cannot say the same for others. It would be wise not to split further before we reach the lowlands.”

He lays the blade down by his bedroll and slides in under the woolen blanket once more.

Find your peace.
Unread 8th of March, 2006, 02:36
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Blarth is trying to work out a reply to Nicos, who he's sure is misinterpreting what happened when Cadrius comes back and puts the issue, and then himself to bed. Sullenly, Blarth follows suit. He didn't like the way things had turned out this evening one bit, but it seemed the others didn't care.

Besides, he'd really wanted to say goodbye to Shade before she left. Now he'd missed his chance.
Unread 8th of March, 2006, 06:20
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
Ben nodded with Cadrius. Everyone here was a full-grown adult, and they all could make their own decisions. Still, Ben gave Nicos a look between pity and contempt and decided to tell the bard one more thing before the warrior went back to bed.

"No one here is exactly a paragon of virtue, Nicos." Then the warrior went back to his bedroll and left Nicos alone on his watch.
Unread 14th of March, 2006, 01:22
itches

It was several hours into Nicos' solitary vidual before he replied to the now sleeping Ben.

"No, I suppose we're not."

The bard wondered at the mood to change so quickly. Earlier in the day they had been travelling in cheer, jokes and comradeship had flowed easily between them all. It had seemed that the trials of the past weeks had forged bonds between them, bonds that were apparently all too easy to break.

One argument was all it had taken to drive Shade from their ranks, how long before the others left for their own paths? Briefly the bard considered just leaving in the morning, to avoid the unpleasantness that was due to come. After all, he never had been technically invited; it was originally more a case of inviting himself.

But no, Nicos discarded the idea of leaving as quickly as it arrived. There were still stories to be learnt here, besides which he had grown to like and respect the members of this unlikely troop.

Instead the bard used the silence of the night to prepare himself for when he had to face the others in the morning. He hadn't exactally driven Shade from their midst - she certinally had been willing to leave - but things had been said which he now wished could be taken back. Things were going to be uncomfortable.
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 04:24
itches

The next day passed slowly and silently for the most part. Shade had often ranged ahead alone of the rest of the group and even when she didn't it was a rare day that she wasn't simply a silent presence. Silent or no, it was a presence that Nicos missed.

Unsure how to bring the subject up and worried about his companions reactions, the bard remained in silence for once; waiting, hoping, praying that someone else would mention it. But no one did and it was in silence that they passed the day.

At the campsite that evening Nicos found himself cooking the group meal - a stew - when he suddenly couldn't stand the silence any longer, blurting out what had been on his mind to everyone and no one.

"I didn't mean to drive her away."
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 08:13
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"Drive her away?" Blarth asks, confused, "I suppose she might have waited until today or tomorrow to leave if you hadn't argued with her, but she was planning on heading to Tradeholm without us anyway. I'm just dissapointed that I didn't get a chance to say good-bye properly. I don't like angry leavings."
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 23:50
itches

Nicos stared at Blarth in confusion, his wits having left him temporarily.

"What do you mean she was planning to leave us? What makes you think she was planning to leave?"
Unread 21st of March, 2006, 05:45
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Realizing that he's accidentally said something he wasn't supposed to, Blarth stutters for a bit as he tries to recover. It isn't long, however, before he sags in defeat and blurts out the rest of the truth, "Shade said she was heading for Tradeholm a couple of days ago. She asked me not to say anything. Said she'd tell you herself."
Unread 22nd of March, 2006, 05:08
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
A sardonic laugh escapes his lips. Having spent more time with Shade than any of the others, Cadrius’s mind makes the leap before theirs. The explosion between her and Nicos was no emotional outburst. Likely she had goaded the confrontation, choosing her words carefully to get to the one-armed bard. Shade has always been wily, and perhaps manipulative, but it isn’t until this moment that Cadrius realizes just how good she is at it.

“She wanted to go,” he says, interrupting Nicos’s questioning. “She just wanted an excuse.”
Unread 22nd of March, 2006, 06:39
itches

"No," Nicos said, shaking his head and refusing to believe he had been manipulated so easily. "That doesn't make sense. She didn't start the argument, I started talking to her because of the blood on her sword."
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 01:47
itches

Nicos looked down at the bubbling stew while the realization that Shade had manipulated him slowly sunk in. None of his companions spoke, so it was the bard that finally broke the silence with a grimace.

"I know, I know. I gave her the opportunity and she sized it, and I really did cross the line there. But why would she want to leave?"

Nicos looked around at the others, hoping someone would be able to provide an answer.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 04:26
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Still suffering from an ego blow from having told the others something Shade had obviously not wanted them to know, Blarth further compounds the problem, "Well, she said she had some things to do."
Unread 2nd of April, 2006, 17:30
itches

"But do we know what?" Nicos asked again before turning back towards Cadrius. "You've known her longer then any of us, do you have any ideas?"
Unread 13th of April, 2006, 18:51
itches

"No," came Cadrius' response, as terse and uncommunicative as the man always was. Feeling slightly intimidated, Nicos turned his attention back to the group in general.

"So she said she was going to - Tradeholm was it? - and obviously didn't want us to follow after. That's just driving my curiosity wild, I'll travel with you guys to where the rivers join then hitch a ride upstream."

"Besides which," he added trying to make it sound casual. "If I can find her, I owe her an apology."
Unread 14th of April, 2006, 03:09
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"I think we all do," Blarth says, still somewhat sullen.

"I'll go with you," he adds. "I like Shade and don't like the fact that I didn't get to say good bye properly."
Unread 23rd of April, 2006, 15:06
itches

Nicos stepped off the barge onto the river dock with Blarth close behind him. They had left their companions behind at the river join as planned and had eventually managed to barter a lift upriver. The trip had been slow, boring and mercifully uneventful.

"It's been a few years since I passed through the city," Nicos said looking from the warehouses that surround them to Blarth. "Any suggestions on where we should start?"
Unread 25th of April, 2006, 00:39
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"Umm... Someplace where Shade might stay?" Blarth replies, not really sure where in a large city one would go to look for someone. "If we were back in my village I'd say we go to the center of the village and ask the elders where she was, as they'd know, but I don't know how you humans organize yourselves in such a large village."
Unread 26th of April, 2006, 00:20
itches

"If she has contacts with the criminal underworld then she might be staying in a house somewhere, not an Inn," Nicos said as he picked up his bag and began to lead Blarth into the city. "Still it's not a bad idea, I can start working at the more disreputable establishments and see if I can contact anyone. Hell we're a fairly noticeable pair; she might even notice us first."

Nicos kept up a stead stream of chatter as though wound their way through the warehouses and onto the edge of a residential district, finally stopping before an Inn denoted by a wineskin next to a winding road.

"This is the only Inn I know well enough in Tradeholm," the bard said to his companion before entering. "It's not run by thieves so we won't have to worry about being robbed while asleep, but a word on warning; don't drink the ale."

Last edited by itches; 12th of May, 2006 at 20:26.
Unread 26th of April, 2006, 06:10
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"Then what would you suggest drinking?" Blarth asks as the pair enter in Inn.

The common room is moderately busy, given the time of day. In one corner an elderly woman is talking to a small group of older boys and girls. The youngsters are dressed in white robes trimmed with small golden chains of suns at the hem and end of the sleves. The woman wears a robe of a similar cut, but it has far more and larger golden sun adornments to the point of it being better to describe the robe's color as gold with small white accents rather than white with gold adornments. In the middle of their table is a bowl of rasins and a plate of bread and cheese from which the youngsters occasionally grab a bite.

At a table more towards the center of the common room a group of armored individuals sit, each bearing the blazon of Heironious. They're discussing something in low tones as they eat an early lunch; rabbit stew from the smell of things.

"Wah'll yah haf?" a portly woman drawls from behind the bar as Nicos and Blarth make their way over. "Yah here fa sum viddles oh yah lookin' fa a room?"
Unread 26th of April, 2006, 23:12
itches

"The cheep wine, spirits until you can no longer taste, or more ideally somewhere else."

"Ah, a room," Nicos said after spending a few moments translating the accent.

The woman didn't move as she looked at the bard, squinting slightly. "Ya look faml'ya."

"Yes it's true," Nicos said giving an ornate bow. "I am the great magician Heronzo. I departed 15 years ago to battle the legions of hell in hell itself, but I'm back here for a quick break."

"Oh, tis yoo," she said sounding distinctly unimpressed. Pulling out a key from under the bar, she tossed it over to the pair. "Secon door on ta lef."
Unread 26th of April, 2006, 23:44
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"Heronzo?" Blarth asks as he follows Nicos to the door the woman indicated.