Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

View Poll Results: A campaign where you...
1) Get to all play as vampires 2 18.18%
2) Are establishing and expanding a colony (medium tech, low magic) 4 36.36%
3) Are people from the shade city sent on various missions (FRCS game) 0 0%
4) Are vampire hunters (Modern day, kinda like Blade movies) 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 04:46
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

Member: #9
What people want....

My last game attempt didnt work out so well, so this time im going to let you guys decide what I should try, that way I will know at least that the game I would be making is something people actually want, so here are your four options

Last edited by Beidamon; 23rd of May, 2002 at 04:53.
Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 05:28
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
I don't think it was so much that your last idea didn't spark interest, it's just that (in my opinion) it was a hard setting to fit yourself into. I normally pride myself on being creative in character creation and development and for the life of me I couldn't find a concept that I liked.

The story and idea themselves were interesting though.
Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 06:39
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

I know, it was kinda a hard universe to fit into because I was constantly changing it and adding to it, that was mostly what inspired my idea of coming from different planes, so that you wouldn't know anything about this plane and I could add stuff in easily, and so that you could create a charecter with a good history (level 10 to 15 people have been around alot) without really needing to know a huge amount about the world, and to allow a outsider perspective on the world that you as players would have.
Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 22:18
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
I went for the establishing acoloney
seems like a good idea to my
I might have it as a sub-plot in the next pbp i'm currently planning
Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 22:33
Cadrius

If you're feeling ambitious...

Why not take that colony idea to the grand scale. Shift it to the world and have the players be the Powers That Be.

I played in a game like that once. I must say, it was a lot of fun. Each of us picked a theme for our deity and were assigned a portfolio. The DM effectively took the role of the overgod (Ao, or whomever you wish) and ran with it. It worked quite nicely, although as the elven god of love my followers weren't good for much. They sure did know how to have a good time though.

It resembled a cross between SimEarth and Birthright on the Divine scale.
Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 22:56
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

That sounds like a good idea to, but it doesn't fit in well with what the idea was supposed to be. Its kind of going to be a mix of everything, city building in establishing your colony, war game by fighting off angry natives with your colonial soldiers, rival colonies, and colonial rebelions, adventure game in seeking out new areas, defending your people from threats greater then teh average soldier can deal with, and so on and so forth. When your god that eliminates some of that stuff, its kind of hard to go on a adventure as a god

"Ok, you see 5 goblins, armed in leather armor, 3 weilding clubs, one a short spear, and one unarmed"

"Ok, ill use my divine power to smite the club wielders, gaze at the shortspear holder causing its head to explode, and step on the unarmed one"

*rolls dice*

"You rolled 5 1's, that means you killed all 5 of them easily.... dang "
Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 23:26
BigRedRod

playing as crappy b*w style gods would be fun
but a pain for the DM to keep track of everything

Its kind of going to be a mix of everything, city building in establishing your colony, war game by fighting off angry natives with your colonial soldiers, rival colonies, and colonial rebelions, adventure game in seeking out new areas, defending your people from threats greater then teh average soldier can deal with, and so on and so forth
hmmm
thats pretty similar to one of the distant parts of the VSF campaign
Still if i do decide to have that part of the game and your doing this, i'll make sure to differeniate it (the plans are only an outline so far)

Last edited by BigRedRod; 23rd of May, 2002 at 23:30.
Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 23:40
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

Hmmm, maybe I should make a game where you all get to play as gods. If im going to though, first answer this question, if I did that, how many of you who want it would actually join the game? Sure great ideas for games are great, but the last 2 attempts I made at a game I thought had great ideas and they went down with a great flushing sound.

Since I like the idea of having a game with gods and since some people seem to want to have it, then tell me, who of you would join the game based off that idea? If enough people step forward ill start it, otherwise im going with the poll results.
Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 23:51
Cadrius

*shrug* It was just an idea that popped into my head. As gods we never did any of the dirty work. Why else would you have followers who worship your every move? The closest we had were our avatars, and even then, you could only utilize them once in a while, so they got saved until it was absolutely necessary.

So personal combat was out, but there were epic struggles from time to time (with the except of my elves who were lovers, not fighters). All sorts of inter-deity politics, not to mention all the trials of having thousands of people each clamoring for your attention simultaneously.

It was definitely...unique.
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 00:08
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

Dont worry, ill let you as gods have a more active roll. Youll have to do alot and youll have to quest for various stuff in various ways. One idea im toying with is having a "Holy call" kind of effect where a deity can send out his call and bring together a group of adventurers believing in him to do a certain task. The deity will have contol over the group, to a certain extent, and be able to send them to achieve certain missions. These will be important because it will be the main way to acquire items to be used to make holy items. Holy items will be important because they will be keys to being deities, stuff like metals to be used to make your deity weapon, special components to bring your own plane into existance to be a god from, and various other things like that. You will also be able to give out regular visions to try to inspire people to do stuff in your name, and once and a while send miracles "IE elf deity causing a special holy tree to spring up, good deity creating a holy area where undead cant enter, stuff like that" and you would also have interdeity conflicts and battles between your followers, and always searching for more porfolio's to gain more followers. If this sounds interesting then just post if you want to play, if no one wants to play that however then it will likely be either the colonial game, or the bladesk game, two games that have annoyingly stayed pretty much tied so far
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 00:36
Cadrius

Personally I'd be highly interested in it. The idea of divine politics has always intrigued me. Although you might have a problem with too many portfolios for too few deities unless a fair number of non-player-deities (NPDs?) as well.

Well now I'm in creative mode, excuse me while I slack off from work and go think up some concepts.
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 01:22
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

Dont worry, there will be other deities, and you will only start with one or two porfolio's and have to earn more if you want to get them.
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 03:04
Cadrius

Well knowing my luck nobody else will be interested.

Hmm...I just had the most annoying parody pop into my head.

What a god wants,
What a god needs.
Whatever keeps you worshippin'
And sends your soul to me.

I'm thankin' you,
for prayin' so hard.

Sorry about that. I had to get it out of my system.
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 03:29
TheDruid20
Crimson Death

Member: #2
EWW EWW EWW!! Can I be the god of insificent light?!?!?!?!
:-) Does sound neat.
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 03:55
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

Member: #91
Playing a god(dess) it's rather intriguing, I'd like to go for a Moon deity or a huntress... :-)

Portrait Adoption
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 04:07
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

Yay, looks like we have a game, all we need is a few more would be gods and were set
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 05:45
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

Member: #57
i call death, entropy, and renewal. the True Neutral aspects, the whole "cyclical procession" thing. things must break down / die so that new things can be made / live. make sense?
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 10:51
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

I offered you the ability to plumb the depth of evil....

And you did not come....

I offered you great story and epic adventure

And you did not come....

I offered to let you shape the destiny of a world

And you did not come.....

Then I offered you Godhood.....

And a line begins forming

What did I learn from all this? There are alot more people out there like me then I thought

(For those of you who dont know me just look at all my charecters and their tendancy to wish to rule the world )
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 10:54
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

Ok Saint Alphonzo

*Takes out Sword of Godhood*

I dub thee, The Divine Saint Alphonzo, God of Recycling, here is your holy weapon, a Greatsword made completely out of recycled pepsi cans
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 11:12
Cadrius

Ooh! Ooh! I want to be the horseman of pollution! No wait, we're gods, not riders of the apocolypse...hmm...

I'd enjoy portraying a sun deity: warmth, healing, happiness, celebrations, wisdom. Those sorts of traits, rather than the fierce "I'm going to beat you down with my cosmic rays" sun.
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 13:17
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

Hmmm

So far a god of recycling and a god of the sun who is all about giving a warm fuzzy feeling to people, is there enough hippies in my world to support all these gods? hehe
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 13:30
Beidamon
Vampire Spawn

Just a warning, dont get your hopes to high. You will probably only get 1 or 2 minor portfolio's, and if you want to get more youll have to earn them

The way the system im using works is this so far

You start out with only one or two minor portfolio's

There are three levels of portfolio's, minor, intermidiate, and major

Now to get a minor portfolio you need nothing, you just have to find the way to get it and go for it

To get a intermediate portfolio you have to have one of the minor porfolio associated with it, a list will be provided which im working on right now

To get a major porfolio you need a large amount or maybe even all the portfolio's associated with it

Im also thinking of having titles you can go for by having a certain set of portfolio's. The sun god would be one of them, others might include a guardian figure like helm, and so on and so forth.

Im using the system this way because it helps encourage interdeity relations and makes it so that some portfolio's even though minor can be really important to you. It also is to give you a little purpose and stop people from just getting whatever portfolio they can get their hands on. Plus if anouther player has a portfolio you need and refuses to hand it over it could make stuff very, very interesting
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 13:31
TheDruid20
Crimson Death

Member: #2
I want got of tulips and butterflies... no wait slugs and spiders.... no wait clouds and raindrops.. Hmm no I think I gotta settle on pain and tyranny.
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 16:56
BigRedRod

this sounds like a pretty good game idea
I think i'll add myself to the ever-growing line
Hmmmm
Just need to think about a crappy little starting Portfolio
pebbles
shrimp
rotten wood
so many choices

Last edited by BigRedRod; 24th of May, 2002 at 17:01.
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 17:42
BigRedRod

for our starting portfolios can we pick a tribe of a certain race?
like the demigod Uthgar has (from FR)
seems to make sense and it would seem to fit nicely with the crappy portfolio for crappy deities idea