Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Eidolon

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #76  
Unread 20th of November, 2002, 04:05
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.14 per day)
Just at that moment Shamus entered the room, followed by the nun.

" Here he is." says the man. " I was about to call you, boy." at the seriousness of Shamus' tone, Elyas seems to grow smaller.

" The water has been drawn, master, and the stable cleaned..."

" Good, then the one taking your place will have a lighter half-day".

Atfirst Shamus' words seems not to register with Elyas, then his eyes grow wide: " Why are you sending me away? I didn't do nothing, I swear!"

Hearing panic in his voice, Maeko cuts in.

" Elyas, calm yourself." At the quiet steadiness of the strange one, the one he shared his dreams with the night before, the one who listened to him like he was somebody; Elyas falls silent.

" I have spoken with Master Shamus; he agrees that you show promise and should learn craft.
If you still wish to, I shall help you arrange apprenticeship with craft master..."

Elyas wasn't able to answer, but his eyes said all.

From his place near the door Nicos observed the scene with a slight, thoughtful smile.
  #77  
Unread 20th of November, 2002, 04:47
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.38 per day)
Hmm, I think she just brought they boy out of here and into a trade. Most of the brothers I knew back at the monastery wouldn't of cared. Strange

Smiling, Nicos moves forward and claps Elyas on the shoulder. "Well now it looks like you’re defiantly free to come to market."

Looking up at Maeko, with his smile still on his face, the bard speaks, his grin growing a bit larger.

"As I was just telling Elyas, I’m about to make my way over to the market, would you care to accompany us? We could finally have that talk we missed out on last night. Plus I would dearly love to hear the tale of what just transpired here"
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #78  
Unread 20th of November, 2002, 07:47
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.14 per day)
" I will gladly came. I was looking forward to conversation last night.

As to what happened, it was ...businness arrangement, I think is the word?."
__________________
Maeko

Portrait Adoption
  #79  
Unread 20th of November, 2002, 10:39
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.38 per day)
"Words even" Nicos smiles with a grin. "If you’re ready, shall we be off?"

Leading the way across the common room, Nicos holds the door open for the bald Woman, and the child. Motioning that they should travel eastward, Nicos walks next to them.

After a moment of Silence, he speaks.

"You do seem a long way from home, and as noble as it seems, I doubt that you travelled all of this way to give this boy a better life. Nor to bring me tails from far-way lands. So if I’m not intruding too much, can you tell me what brings you all the way to this wonderful city"

Gesturing around at the squaller they are travelling through, and the occasional beggar

"Some how I also doubt it is for our many tourist attractions"
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #80  
Unread 20th of November, 2002, 23:47
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.14 per day)
" I came on a quest" answers Maeko, somehow she feels she can trust this former brother.

"A holy relic, precious only to followers of the faith, has been stolen from my monastery, we have reason to believe the thieves came from West, although we wonder at their reasons.

I have been charged with recovering it".
__________________
Maeko

Portrait Adoption
  #81  
Unread 21st of November, 2002, 07:34
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
Cadrius tosses his purchases to the side and stands up. New equipment would do him little good if he were to hang from the gallows. Should he confess? Should he step forward? Probably. No matter what that orc might be or might have done he doesn't deserve to die for Cadrius' crimes.

These thoughts rumble through his head as he comes down the wooden stairs. The smell of stew and wine greet him and a sudden growl reminds him of his hunger. Killing really takes a lot of out him, probably more than he knows.

"If it is not too much trouble I would like a bowl of that wonderful smelling stew and a glass of wine," he says to a barmaid with a smile before sitting down at a table near the fire.

When should he step forward? Soon, to be sure, but how soon? That mob would have torn him apart if he had been on the receiving end of the accusations. If he is to die, he is determined to at least have the dignity of a trial.

As the food arrives and as he takes a sip from the goblet one question flashes through his mind.

Is this the day that I die?
  #82  
Unread 21st of November, 2002, 16:44
LonePaladin's Avatar
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member: #152
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,019 (0.18 per day)
The paladin leads the cloaked, bewildered half-orc westward, finding the constabulary only after asking several passersby for directions. Having finally found the place, he doesn't even wait for the length of time protocol would demand -- he just simply opens the door, and walks in, asking, "Where's Sargeant Dem't?"

One of the guardsmen stops him with a gruff, "Who's asking?"

"Someone who's interested in seeing justice dealt. Who are you?"

The guard snorts. "Name's Caldwell. You're one of the many, by my reckoning. Don't know why you bothered; it's a clear-cut case of murder, and we'll be dealing justice to the killer soon enough."

"What evidence do you have?"

Again, the guard snorts. "Have you seen the brute? Biggest orc I ever saw, all fangs and muscles. No way anyone else could have done it."

The paladin smirks at this. "An orc, you say? So, by your admission, he's guilty of murder simply because of this?"

The guard just shrugs. "Seems a fair enough call to me."

"Then you better arrest the both of us." He reaches back and throws the hood off his companion's head, revealing a human with just a hint of orcish ancestry -- but not so much that he would be considered a monstrosity.

"Here now--"

"No, I said you'd better arrest us both. For murder. Obviously, this fellow here looks somewhat like an orc, so he MUST be guilty of murder. And I'm associating with him, so I must be guilty too. Come to think of it, that would include everyone I've talked with today... Caldwell."

"Now wait just--"

"No, YOU wait. By your own admission, you arrested someone who was near the scene of a crime, and are holding him without any possibility of release. You plan on punishing him for a crime, without even considering the chance that he's innocent. All because of his parentage. Unless you can prove that he committed the crime, you will begin a true investigation, and -- at the least -- withhold punishment until he is proven guilty, if he is at all. Have you even asked the prisoner any questions?"

"Well, no--"

"I thought not. By the authority vested in me by the Valorous Order of Selkirk, and the blessings of High Imperceptor Tassek, I demand to see the prisoner NOW, and I will decide whether or not he stays here. Now."

The guard blanched visibly. "I'm afraid--"

"What? I wouldn't recommend forcing me to call upon the church for this."

"He's not here."

The paladin blinked. "WHAT?"
  #83  
Unread 21st of November, 2002, 21:59
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.38 per day)
Walking along in silence for another moment, Nicos rubs his ring with his thumb thinking.

"They could of fled this way to try and escape the influence of your monastery. Perhaps to try and sell it where it can’t be traced to them. Or it could even be part of some legendary plot to ascend to godhood, like the tales say the Zann of Trisk attempted centuries ago. The truth will probably remain hidden until you catch the thieves. Still I’ll keep an ear out for any news of strangers wondering around, who share ... some of your appearances."

Going silent again as the reach the outskirts of the market, Nicos stops to survey it. Stalls are arrayed out in an open area, each next to each other, forming a small maze of mini-streets, and open areas. All sorts of goods and services can be found here, from Linin found in some stalls nearby, off in the distance some cattle can be seen, and not to far to the left, the aroma of food waifs over.

Staring fixedly at a point not to distant, a familiar figure with a balding head emerges from the crowd.

Hmm, Dem't is here. I wonder if we can still slip around - too late he has seen us. Well no use in prolonging the unavoidable

Pulling out a gold coin and flipping it to Elyas, the Bard instructs him to see about finding them some food. "Try and get something without meat for the Lady, and keep the rest for yourself."

As the child dashes away into the crowd, the gold piece held firmly in his hand, Nicos motions with his head in Dem't's direction, indication that Maeko should follow him.

Moments later they stand in front of a merchants stall, and Nicos quickly makes introductions.

"Afternoon, Nicos, and Milady," Dem't begins. "Could you do me a favour Nicos, tell the people that I wont be able to see about talking to them until tomorrow evening. There was some trouble with the orc, and we had to move him somewhere more secure. A guard was hurt. They guy was a troublemaker, and probably went into the cell to provoke him, but the kid bite off more then he could chew. Even unarmed the Orc nearly killed him."

Looking like he hasn't slept in a few days, the Guard looks every one of his 39 years. "It was all I could do to stop them from hanging him right there and then. This town is howling for blood. And I don’t think it cares wither the person is innocent or Guilty."

Looking troubled by this, Nicos glances around as if half-expecting the lazy shoppers around them to turn into a bloodthirsty riot. Clapping his arm on the older man’s shoulder, Nicos smiles grimly.

"If push comes to shove, you know you can count one me. And sort of on that issue, I believe you wanted to talk to this Lady. She was at the same table as the Mage and I last night"
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #84  
Unread 22nd of November, 2002, 00:47
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
Wakefulness comes slowly and Shade groans as a ray of light pierces the shutter. She struggles upright and heads for basin to rinse the sleep from her eyes. The cool water brings some clarity to her thoughts and her eyes scan the room quickly. Her clothes were folded neatly on the floor by the door and she vaguely remembers giving them to one of the servants last night to be cleaned and mended. Whoever it was had slipped them through a flap at the bottom of the door when they had finished.

A short while later she is dressed and wearing her customary cloak with a dagger at her belt, though she leaves her armor in the room. Her new sword is sheathed at her back and hidden from view. Surveying the common room from the top of the stairs she spies Cadrius just finishing his meal. The man was looking exceptionally grim today. Her brow wrinkles as she notes a dark stain on the floor a few tables away from him; something she had spilled the last time she was here. She ought to be hungry, but last night's alcohol made thoughts of food somewhat less welcome and the reminder of a murder took them away completely.

She takes the stairs slowly, feeling almost like she is descending into an abyss, and winds her way to his table. She pulls a chair and sits without asking, her back to a wall. He has half a glass of wine left and she reaches for it, lifting an eyebrow at the look he gives her, and swallows half of it down before replacing it. She closes her eyes and leans her head against the wall.

"Good morning."
  #85  
Unread 22nd of November, 2002, 01:05
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Curious as to what the Paladin has in mind, Blarth takes the raincoat and puts it on as asked. At the very least no one is glaring at me any more. Now they just seem to be curious.

When they arrive at the constabulary, Blarth is in turn perplexed and then amazed at the track Sir Paladin's questioning takes. He barely even moves when his hood is pulled back but is somewhat suprised by the invocation of church authority in the matter. This Sir Paladin, must be a holy man. I wonder why he didn't denounce me for exchanging Trak's greave for his?

The guard blanched visibly. "I'm afraid--"

"What? I wouldn't recommend forcing me to call upon the church for this."

"He's not here."

The paladin blinked. "WHAT?"
"WHERE IS MY BROTHER?!?" Blarth screams and steps forward. Grabbing the guardsman by the front of his chain shirt Blarth lifts the man off his feet and shouts again, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH HIM?"

Visibly shaken by not only the sight of the enraged half-orc but also by the fact that his feet are no longer on the floor the guardsman begins to stammer..

"We... We... We had to mo... mo... move him. He att... tt... ttacked Mataeiu and tried... d... d to k... k... kill him."

A familiar smell then begins to eminate from the guard. A wet spot forms on the front of the man's breeches and spreads down his leg to begin to drip onto the floor.

OOC: Blarth rages and initiates a grapple. The gaurdsman is flatfooted and unable to take his AoO. Blarth's grapple deals no damage but lifts the guardsman off his feet (24 STR while raging). Blarth sucessfully intimidates the guard who pisses his pants as a result.

Last edited by Black Plauge; 22nd of November, 2002 at 01:13.
  #86  
Unread 23rd of November, 2002, 06:13
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
His head tilted forward Cadrius does not see Shade until she lays a hand upon one of the chairs at the small table. His eyes flick upward at once but as soon as he sees the familiar darkly clad lithe form he leans back and folds his arms over his chest.

"Morning," he says. To any other the short responses and closed body language might look like a sign of hostility. But with Cadrius, a man who finds it increasingly difficult to coexist with others, it's practically an embrace.

He is frowning his thoughts still dominating his mind until she takes the glass of wine and drains it. He starts to open his mouth to object and then smiles as he shakes his head and looks away. There are more important things to worry about.

"Sleep well?" he asks, straying away from his normally more formal speech.

The inn's clientele seems to vary during the day. The morning and noon meals finds it frequented by the more well-to-do citizens of the town, merchants, an aristocrat or two, some officials. It is nothing like the loud and bawdy place he remembers from the night before.

His eyes slide back and forth observing everyone present. Satisfied that there is little to fear he visibly relaxes.
  #87  
Unread 23rd of November, 2002, 07:31
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
One gray eye pops open at the other's simple question and studies him carefully. The wine had settled her stomach a little and the idea of food wasn't as alien as it had been a few moments ago. Her sleep had been troubled although she couldn't really remember the dream. The other eye opens and there is a brief frown before she shrugs and signals a serving girl.

"The same as always."

She draws one knee up to her chest and does her best not to look at the spot where she had killed the dwarf. What had she been thinking coming back here? This was as casual a conversation as they'd had since their strange meeting only a ten day prior. She didn't want to ruin it but she wanted him to know that, whatever might come of it, she was on his side. Keeping her voice carefully neutral, she can't help looking at the old bloodstain on the floor when she speaks.

"Good thing we both retired early last night. I hear there was some trouble. But, like I'd tell anyone that asked, we both retired early."
  #88  
Unread 23rd of November, 2002, 17:59
LonePaladin's Avatar
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member: #152
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,019 (0.18 per day)
"Put the man down."

The request is ignored as the half-orc, now fully enraged, gives the guard a good shake. Drops of fluid fly from the man's boots, apparently going for distance.

"I said, put the man down." The paladin puts a hand on Blarth's shoulder, but he is still ignored.

"For the last time, put the man down!" He grabs the half-orc from behind, by his forehead, forcing his head upward at a very uncomfortable angle. Reflexively, Blarth reaches up for the grasping hand, dropping the guard. At the same moment, the paladin lets go, leaving Blarth standing awkwardly.

"We will be checking in on you later, to ensure the well-being of the prisoner. And if we don't hear that an investigation has begun, we'll be expecting the conditions of his imprisonment to improve rapidly. Justice will be done, but not without learning the truth first.

"Now, either tell me where the prisoner has been taken, or take me there yourself. After you get yourself cleaned up."
  #89  
Unread 24th of November, 2002, 04:07
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
"Put the man down."

A familar voice tickles at the back of Blarth's conciousness.

"I said, put the man down." The voice says again.

"For the last time, put the man down!" The voice repeats and suddenly Blarth finds him looking up at the ceiling. Dropping the guard he reaches for the hand that pulled his head back only to find it no longer there. Looking around, Blarth appears unsure of what happened and suddenly confused.

"We will be checking in on you later, to ensure the well-being of the prisoner.
That voice is familiar.
And if we don't hear that an investigation has begun, we'll be expecting the conditions of his imprisonment to improve rapidly.
Its that man over there, what's his name?
Justice will be done, but not without learning the truth first.
Paladin, that's it.

Suddenly a look of realization dawns on Blarth's face and he begins to calm down. His face loses the killer instinct that is openly displayed just a few seconds ago and resumes its more open innocence.

"Now, either tell me where the prisoner has been taken, or take me there yourself. After you get yourself cleaned up."

As the conversation continues Blarth looks around for a chair and spying one in a coner goes and sits down. He hunches over, elbows on his knees and breathes heavily. He is obviously fatigued by the what he just did.

Clearly disturbed by the transformation that Blarth has undergone, not once, but twice in the span of seconds, the guard fruitively glances between Blarth and Paladin before responding.

"He was taken to the Temple of Heironeous. Sergeant Dem't felt that they would keep him out of trouble until juctice could be dealt." Glancing again over at Blarth he continues, "I would gladdly take you there, but see, I can't leave my post except in an emergency," he casts another fruitive glance at Blarth, "and, begging your pardon, but this isn't an emergency. I'll get into trouble if I leave."

Last edited by Black Plauge; 25th of November, 2002 at 00:44.
  #90  
Unread 24th of November, 2002, 17:45
LonePaladin's Avatar
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member: #152
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,019 (0.18 per day)
The paladin nods at the guard, then helps Blarth up from the chair. "Thank you, Caldwell. I apologize for having to threaten you, but I'm more interested in finding the real killer than blaming a scapegoat. Assuming, of course--" he glances at Blarth-- "that proof doesn't lead to the prisoner."

After leaving the guardhouse, he begins leading the way east, back to the inn. He doesn't stop anyone to ask directions to the church. It's late, and not many people are about -- but the paladin isn't flagging anyone down, either.

I can't take the chance; not yet. Odds are, the interlopers sent "official" word of my expatriatism to all the nearby parishes. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent word of my excommunication, or a reward for my head.

Rounding a corner, he hesitates for just a moment.

Why didn't the others tell me there was a church of Heironeous here? Surely I'd've known if they were leading me into a trap; I would have been able to tell with the Sight--

No. The Sight has left me, for now at least. But can I dare trust a fallen paladin, an assassin, and a foreign priest? I
must speak with them. Tonight.

Finally, the paladin and the half-orc arrive at the inn, just as people are beginning to meander in.
  #91  
Unread 25th of November, 2002, 11:11
NestroEmichae's Avatar
NestroEmichae
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member: #238
Posts: 72 (0.01 per day)
Ilastros walked into the bar and looked around. No sign of the mage that had attacked his family anywhere in this region, meaning that he had possibly followed a false clue. That could possibly leave months behind, but he had the time. Besides, he needed a bit of time to rest from the journey anyway.

Ilastros noticed two people, one of them being a half-orc, walk into the inn. He cared nothing for those with orc blood, since the mage he was hunting was an orc, but it was the companion that Ilastros found interesting. He decided these two would be interesting and walked up to them, silently trying to remember the name he told the town guard.

"You two look like you have been long on the road. My name is Yendi and I believe that I may be able to be of service to you two. My fighting skills are up to par and I could use the companionship for awhile. Besides, an extra fighter is always one less wound that you take," Ilastros said to the two, silently wondering if one was a paladin.
  #92  
Unread 25th of November, 2002, 16:10
LonePaladin's Avatar
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member: #152
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,019 (0.18 per day)
The paladin looks the newcomer over, once, very quickly, before speaking. "Yendi, you probably will not be of service to us. Your prowess in battle was never brought to question, nor will it be. For companionship, I'm sure there are several here who would be willing to oblige you; I am not. And an extra fighter is simply one more charge to take responsibility for -- my wounds are my own, and I do not have the option of passing them on.

"In brief, if you're looking for adventurers, look elsewhere. I do not seek trouble. If you're looking for heroes, move on. I am no hero."

Brushing the man aside, he makes his way into the rapidly-crowding common room. Just barely, he spots Cadrius sitting at a table with someone else. He weaves his way through the crowd, getting himself close enough to attempt to judge whether the warrior is adverse to company at the table.
  #93  
Unread 26th of November, 2002, 01:29
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Unsure of what to do next, Blarth tags along at Paladin's heels, hoping that he might have some idea of how to clear his brother of the charges against him.

The look on the stranger's face reminds Blarth that half-orcs aren't currently very welcome in this town and he pulls the hood of the raincoat he still wears back over his head to hide his face. Why would anyone advertise their fighting skills to comlete strangers? Strangers may be future enemies and it is unwise to reveal one's strengths to them.

"In brief, if you're looking for adventurers, look elsewhere. I do not seek trouble. If you're looking for heroes, move on. I am no hero."
Sir Paladin certianly is not a holy man as my brother is. Trak would have had no problem claiming to be a hero.

A late lunch crowd seems to be filling the common room. Merchants who opened their stalls while others took the noon rest now take their lunch. Paladin ignores them however as he scans the common room. Apparently he spots who he is looking for and begins to weave his way through the common room towards a table near the fire. Still clueless as to how to help his brother, Blarth follows through the crowd like a dog on the heels of his master.
  #94  
Unread 26th of November, 2002, 08:32
NestroEmichae's Avatar
NestroEmichae
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member: #238
Posts: 72 (0.01 per day)
Ilastros smiles and looks at the man as he walks away.

You have no idea what I am, let alone what I am capable of. If you only knew, then you might be willing to allow me to travel along. Besides, I you might know more about my target than I suspect.

Ilastros silently followed the pair, looking them over. He had his suspicions about the reason why the half orc was following him. As he watched the two he saw the man, who Ilastros was still wondering if he was a paladin, approach a table with another person at it. Ilastros then wondered if both were paladins, although he doubted it.

"Do not be so quick to dismiss someone. I take care of myself and ask to journey for the fun of it, not to be protected or cuddled by someone. If I happen to die in the process, then it is my mistake, not yours. I look for neither adventurers nor heroes. Both end up equally dead, often because of what they are," Ilastros said, throwing indignation he did not feel into his voice.

In truth, Ilastros fealt nothing in either direction. He neither hated nor respected the man he was talking to: Like the past few, he did not expect this one to live much longer. It seemed that anyone he was interested in journeying with ended up dead. Ilastros had delt with many adventurers, and his goal was only revenge against one person. He felt that, while he could afford a bit of fighting and fun, he had no time to waste on petty matters with rude people.

"One last thing: If I wanted companionship, I know of where I can get it for a price. Sometimes it is not want of heroes, companions, treasure, or adventure that drives us, although I'm sure you know about that," Ilastros said.
  #95  
Unread 2nd of December, 2002, 11:33
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
Cadrius reclines in the chair, his body relaxed but his eyes are tense. He looks at Shade a moment, blinks once, and then says quietly, "Good for you perhaps, but I believe I might need to speak with the guards soon."

He opens his mouth to say more but closes it again as Paladin strides toward their table. Normally he would've felt burdened by the man's presence but he is unwilling to meet Shade's glare and inclines his head once, acknowledging him.

He pushes on a nearby chair with one foot and slides it out a bit for the Paladin to take. His eyes flick to the man appearing at Paladin's side and glances back questoiningly. Judging by the slight irritation in his voice Paladin must have slighted him. Cadrius is amused by this, perhaps he wasn't the perfect epitome of goodness after all.

"Yes?"
  #96  
Unread 2nd of December, 2002, 15:41
LonePaladin's Avatar
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member: #152
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,019 (0.18 per day)
The paladin sits down. "We need to talk -- all four of us. Can we get Maeko here, or go to where she is? It's important."
  #97  
Unread 3rd of December, 2002, 00:20
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
Stupid: you just can't wait to do something stupid, can you?

Her eyes harden at the same instant as the man sitting across from her and she regrets having said anything. He obviously was going to do what he was going to do and now she'd opened the rift between them again. It doesn't help her mood when Paladin emerges to fill the void. He was part of the problem, filling Cadrius's mind with stupid ideas that would only get him locked up or worse.

As usual, the man takes charge and issues a few orders. The serving girl chooses that moment to bring her breakfast along with a flagon of wine. The scent of food turns her stomach, her appetite having soured, but she uses her dagger to nonchalantly carve herself a piece of ham. Her eyes scan the bar as she brings dagger and morsel to her mouth.

"I haven't seen her, but then, she looks like an early riser to me."
  #98  
Unread 3rd of December, 2002, 04:30
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.14 per day)
Maeko looks up at the ‘sargent’, then bows deeply : “ If I may help you I will”, she starts, serious, “ What you wish to know?”.
Dem’s doesn’t outwardly react to the foreigneness of the woman, to him having found a collaborating witness is enough.
“ I would like to know what you remember happening in the common room of the inn yesterday evening”.

Maeko remains silent and perfectly still for a few moments. Dem glances at Nicos, who grins, raising his hand in a ‘be patient’ gesture.

“ I remember entering and sitting next to Cadogan, at corner table” starts the nun, her voice has a slightly far-away quality, like she was re-living those events.
“ Cadogan is companion of ours, he is ‘sorcerer’” she adds, pronouncing the word like it was a new one to her.


Maybe it is, thinks Dem, nodding for her to go on.

“ He started speaking of his previous adventures to us, and of magic. Then three people came and the boss threathened him, even throwing a cup of water at him.

He lost face, menacing a blind man, but seemed not to realize it” ,wonders the woman.
The comment is meaningless to Dem, but he decides to let it lie for now .“What happened then?”

“Nicos and I were ready to defend him, but Cadogan stopped us, and the three went out congratulating each other, That is all”.

“ Was there an orc in the common room?”

Maeko frowns slightly: “ I have never seen ‘Orc’, but all the people in there were human or spirit-folk”.

" Spirit-folk?"

" Pointed ears, up-swept eyebrows..." tries to explain the nun, looking to Nicos for help.

“ Elves you mean!Good enough, did anybody go after them?”

“I do not recall, but I have seen Cadrius come in, after a while, he may have seen something…” answers Maeko in full innocence.
__________________
Maeko

Portrait Adoption

Last edited by Maeko; 3rd of December, 2002 at 04:33.
  #99  
Unread 3rd of December, 2002, 11:57
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.38 per day)
At that moment Elyas comes running back up, carrying two pasty-wraps and what suspiciously looks like a bad of sweets. Noting Dem'ts curious glance, Nicos swiftly makes introductions and explains the situation.

"One of the reason's we we're out here was to try and look for a trade our young master."

Looking intrigues by this, The Sargent of the guard runs the stubble on his chin and looks the young boy up and down.

"We recently had an opening at out Cadetship. Training to be a town guard you see. Most people tend to come to the post, later in life when they have already learnt a bit about the world. But there is still an active, if small, portion that joins in through apprenticeships. Don't suppose you would be interested boy?"

As Elyas's eyes got wide, considering the possibilities of become a town-guards man. Continuing on, Dem't try’s to sell the idea.

"It is hard work, and full of danger, I wont lie to you about that. But it is satisfying work, and you sleep well at night knowing that you have made a difference. Come no need to decide now, I'll see you tomorrow evening when I’m back in town. Where can I find you?"

"At the Inn" interjects Nicos, "you can probably find him when you come to question the others. Now I don’t suppose you would care to tell me where you have the orc imprisoned?"

Motion for the bard to follow him, Dem't steps out of earshot of Maeko and the boy.

"No Nicos that’s not information I just want floating around. Suffice to say that the location is secure." Looking back over his shoulder Dem't seems to be beating around the subject. "That is a weird one you have back there my boy. I get the feeling that she doesn't think like the rest of us, but you can tell in her eyes that there’s intelligence, and a fair amount of steel in her. A over his bald plate, "Maybe she will start a fashion of it."

Looking back at where the nun is standing next to the boy, Nicos nods. "Yes I noticed that myself, but I don’t think you asked me over here to talk about my new friend’s finer qualities. What is it old man?"

Looking distinctly uncomfortable, the guard-Sargent appears to be floundering for words. "I - look. Make sure to keep yourself away from trouble until I get back, okay boy? Look I have to go, make sure that this 'Cadirus' and the others stay in town until I get back as well"

Then without so much as a word of farewell, Dem't turns and hurry’s off into the crowd. Watching the back of the departing man's head, and completely confused by the conversation, Nicos slowly makes his way back to where Maeko and Elyas are.
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #100  
Unread 3rd of December, 2002, 17:03
LonePaladin's Avatar
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member: #152
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,019 (0.18 per day)
The paladin notices Shade's face take on several expressions, most of which are unreadable to him. For a moment, he wishes his Sight were working, but doesn't let that thought stay for long.

"Fine, she'll turn up eventually. I don't want to spend all day trying to get all three of you in the same room -- that might take all year, and this won't wait."

He draws a deep breath. "I won't be traveling with you when -- IF -- you move on from here. In fact, I'll probably be leaving at dawn tomorrow."

Not caring if they're interested, he explains. "When I met up with you three and the... minstrel... I made an oath to see all of you reach this place safely. In that respect, I failed. One of your number now lies under a cairn, because I was not able to fulfill my duty. In allowing someone to pursue vengeance, we sent a man to an early death, and I cannot take the risk that it happens again. My contract with you, if you will, ended at that point."

He places a pouch on the table, letting it spill open. All of the coin he was given, and the magical potion, scatter across the table.

"I did not join you for wealth, or glory, or any of those other goals. I simply sought to see a group of travelers safely on their journey -- not join in a massacre.

"If our paths cross again, I hope we can trade a story or two. Otherwise, do not seek me out. I just have one thing to do here tonight, and then I will leave."

Having said his peace, he gets up to go.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 19:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren