Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Eidolon

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #201  
Unread 18th of October, 2002, 04:06
Cadogan Trahem's Avatar
Cadogan Trahem
Ghostly Sage

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #4
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,857 (0.32 per day)
Shrivel squarks loudly at the sight of Cadogan.

"Cadogan! Cadogan!" It gives Cadrius an effectional peck before taking to the air off the fallen Paladins shoulders and landing on Cadogan's head.

Cadogan smiles lightly and reaches up to give his bird companion a little scratch on the neck.

"Thank you, Cadrius." Cadogan words towards where he envisions Cadrius, unfortunately Cadrius has already moved to Itches body.

"Cadogan!" Shirvel squaks before pecking Cadogan on the head repeatably untill Cadogan nearly swipes the bird off in his frenzied defense against the birds persisting pecking.

"Quiet bird! Before I weave a spell to seal your trap for a day - no two!" Cadogan empty thread is enough to make the bird quietly retreat to Cadogan's shoulder where it sits quietly rubbing itself against Cadogan's cheek.

"Pyre?" Cadogan repeats after Cadrius. "What? Who? Cadrius Who?" Cadogan persists in questioning the darkness around him trying to locate the Fallen Paladin by shifting his head left and right and listening. Unaware yet that one of their number had fallen, albeit a stranger to Cadogan.
__________________
Sucking up Air since 1984.
  #202  
Unread 18th of October, 2002, 04:41
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is online!
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
Twisting red flame reflects in cold grey eyes, as if she were burning on the inside; her face hidden behind the armor of her veil. Those eyes stare at the pyre, unblinking, with the acrid aroma of burning flesh in her throat, almost thankful for her broken nose and her diminished sense of smell. It throbbed with her pulse, as did the hidden slash beneath her bracer and the hundred other aches and pains of this days slaughter yet the deepest wounds were those to her spirit.

***

A twinge of unease spasms through her stomach as she approaches the others; Itches is not with them. Indeed, she cannot hear his voice, that constant source of annoyance is gone. She hears the strain as Cadrius speaks, unable to make out the words but painfully aware of the emotion. He hurries off and she can see the hollow expressions on the faces that suddenly turn toward her.

She holds Maeko's gaze while her feet continue to move forward. The monk meets her stare, does not blink, does not look away and she knows that Itches is dead. Shade is the one that drops her eyes, not willing to examine the source of the emotions churning in her gut and her mind. She moves up beside Cadrius as he leans over the crushed body of the lovestruck aristocrat.

Nobody can protect anybody in this world.

It was the brutal truth, and the one that she was beginning to recognize. Itches had been simply been young, optimistic, and in love and he had died for it. Not just for it, but because of it. Another wall went up around her heart; it was cold, maybe, and lonely that way but safer than the alternative. She shed no tear, could barely associate this shattered husk with the young man and his carefree attitude. When Cadrius calls for wood, she moves off soundlessly to oblige.


***

As she watches the flames consume his body, sees the smoke waft away with all that is left of him, she can't help but wonder when it will be her turn. Somewhere, deep down, she had hoped that he would prosper, that he might get to live the life she had once dreamed about. She'd hoped she was wrong about the world. Those hopes were drifting away with the black cloud of his funeral. When they were gone she walked the lonely fortress of her soul, staring but not seeing, until his ashes were as cold as the stony places in her heart.
  #203  
Unread 18th of October, 2002, 17:55
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.14 per day)
Maeko stands near the pyre. Shade has come too, dark emotions churning deep,under her eyes; disbelief, sadness...guilt?

This world is illusion, thinks the nun,Why should we feel sadness if one of our number now experiences the truth?
And yet, here it is: the longing, the guilt because the innocent among us is no more. May he be reborn higher on the Wheel!

She stands there, murmuring the Sutra of the Western Paradise for the young nobleís repose. Fingers counting verses on her prayer beads,body still like a statue in the occasional waft from the pyre, until even she can believe that the tears in her eyes come from the smoke.
__________________
Maeko

Portrait Adoption

Last edited by Maeko; 18th of October, 2002 at 17:59.
  #204  
Unread 19th of October, 2002, 05:04
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.99 per day)
Cadrius watches the tendrils of smoke spiral upward into the air as the pyre blazes. It drives back the cold and the man's skin is warmed and is given the only comfort he could receive from the death of the nobleman. A gift? Perhaps. Another twinge of grief strikes the fallen paladin as he remembers how he had made a silent vow to protect itches despite the fact he was an incredible fool.

What had happened? He was half-buried under the rubble with a dead gnoll nearby. It was a small way from the battle sight. He remembers finding a few pieces of the crossbow and fractured side of the gnoll's head. A grim smile comes to his lips, perhaps itches wasn't as useless as he made others believe.

"A romantic deserves a funeral among the stars," he says to no one in particular but wanting to voice his reason for choosing a pyre.

One lonely tear creeps from the corner of one eye and slowly moves down his cheek rapidly picking up momentum as it hurdles to his jaw and drops to the earth below.

Why him and not me?

He looks up to the night sky and sees the stars shining unmoved by one more lover delivered into their embrace. He closes his eyes again and feels the heat of the pyre washing over him. Opening his mouth he begins to sing, a low bass voice echoing around the woods amidst the crackle of the fire.

"I swear the happiest day of my life,
You know the happiest day of my life,
was the day the I died.
Can you feel the cold tonight?
It sets in but it's all right.
Darkness falls, I'm letting go.
All alone but I feel just fine.
You know the happiest day of my life,
I know the happiest day of my life,
I swear the happiest day of my life,
was the day that I died.
Can you feel the cold tonight?
It sets in but it's all right.
Darkness falls, I'm letting go.
All alone but I feel just fine.
Did I live it right?
I hope I lived it right,
I know I lived it right."


As the song concludes he closes his eyes and bows his head, an action all too familiar to him. He clenches his right fist and presses it against his chest, over his heart, and whispers, "If Lily new what you have done, she would be proud. Go with the Light, lad."

I only hope you are in a better place now.

He turns his head to the side, his eyes shining from both the tears in them and the light from the fire, and says, "Let us go, the town cannot be far."

He lights a large stick from the pyre and gathers up as much of their gear that he can carry before setting off down the path and into the darkness once more.

Last edited by Cadrius; 19th of October, 2002 at 06:40.
  #205  
Unread 19th of October, 2002, 05:48
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is online!
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
As she listens to the lamentation of Cadrius, looks into the ragged emotion displayed in his eyes, Shade wonders why she doesn't mourn for Itches the way he does. Even Maeko's eyes, normally so controlled, reflect something akin to sadness.

She knows the truth: emotion is what got Itches killed in the first place. Better to let it go than to let it destroy you. In a way, his death made her stronger; it reinforced her perception that she'd made the right choices, made her feel better about her own emptiness. It needed to be that way since the alternative was death.

Lily will not be proud. Lily will be sad, and then Lily will be dead too.

Truth, that was all. She was willing to tell herself the truth, even if the others didn't see it. She can feel the chill shadows pressing up behind her, stark contrast to the heat of the pyre and she found the cold more comforting than the warmth.

Cadrius picks up as much gear as he can carry before walking off; she selects as much as she can without slowing herself down and starts off after him. The further she gets from the fire the better she feels about herself. Soon she has passed the others, scouting the trail just ahead of the torchlight.
  #206  
Unread 19th of October, 2002, 16:02
Cadogan Trahem's Avatar
Cadogan Trahem
Ghostly Sage

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #4
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,857 (0.32 per day)
Cadogan stands idle, he can hear the burning embers but not see them. He barely knew the now dead half-elf but life is a challenge for those who seek it. Cadogan collects his equipment and afixes his Component pouch to his belt, tucking his well worn morning star into his belt he jerks and then decides not to put sharp spikes so close to his body again.

Finally picking up a Seeing stick, he hears Maeko in the distance.

"Miss, please. I would like to make use of myself. Select something for me to carry and I will." He asks her quietly.
__________________
Sucking up Air since 1984.
  #207  
Unread 20th of October, 2002, 00:15
Maeko's Avatar
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member: #91
Location: Italy
Posts: 790 (0.14 per day)
" Of course, oder brother" come in answer Maeko's quiet voice.

Cadogan hears rummaging, then her slightly hesitating accent again, while she guides his arms through a backpack's straps, careful not to touch his bare skin.

" Here, How are your wounds, brother? If you need some healing, I ave a spare potion".
__________________
Maeko

Portrait Adoption
  #208  
Unread 24th of October, 2002, 03:24
Cadogan Trahem's Avatar
Cadogan Trahem
Ghostly Sage

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #4
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,857 (0.32 per day)
Cadogan pushes the potion back into Maeko's hands and reaches into his backpack, after a few moments he withdraws two potions and drinks them down.

"Lucky they where still there, perhaps they didn't get time to empty my bag." Cadogan thinks outloud and Shrival responders. "Lucky!"

His wounds heal over but not fully leaving some scar tissue and brusing here and there. But Cadogan is thankful, he remembers when last he was injured so badly. It was a Wyvern outside of a city very early in his adventuring life.

As they travel Cadogan continues to fidget with the strange cube which was retrieved but gives up after a few hours of trying to do something only to be at it again later.

On their arrival in the town Cadogan asks Maeko to help him find a quiet place to sit.
__________________
Sucking up Air since 1984.
  #209  
Unread 26th of October, 2002, 11:48
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is online!
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.88 per day)
The weary band presses on as long as their aching bodies will respond before settling down for the evening. They tend to their wounds as best they can and set about the business of dinner, chewing more out of habit than any enjoyment of the tough journey bread and salted meat in their packs. There is little talk around the campfire that night; perhaps the flames remind them too much of the passing of one of their own, perhaps they are filled with thoughts of their own mortality.

Thankfully, the night is uneventful and they rise somewhat refreshed though some pains will take longer to fade than others. It is hard to say what thoughts run through each mind; the shining righteousness of evil vanquished, the dark caverns of self-loathing, the still waters of inner harmony, the bloody light of a new dawn, or the warm wind of change. Whatever they might be, they remain uniquely individual. Though fate has pushed them together they have not yet learned to lean on one another. In a way, their trust is as fragile as the light frost that covers the ground in the pre-dawn gloom.

The day passes with only a brief rest and a meager meal before they press on, anxious now to reach their destination. Their exertions are rewarded as the sun begins to sink in the west. From the heights they can see the frontier town beneath them; sizable but rustic. It is ringed with a palisade and a few watchtowers, with gates on each of it's four sides.

Declaring themselves at the gate, they are allowed passage into the town with little more than a gate tax and a few words of caution. The dusty street is relatively empty and lights shine from within several buildings. There is a large, inviting inn just down the street.
__________________
How many deaths shall serve to break at last
This heritage which wraps me in the grey
Apparel of ghosts?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 13:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren