Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Cadrius' Games > Deadwatch Embers

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 17th of June, 2004, 06:37
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

As Dun makes his way toward the Healer, he cringes when he hears Aleina's voice pierce the darkness. The situation appears to be deteriorating. And yet, did she have any choice if we are to save the Healer?

He does his best to close the distance with the Healer and his foes while maintaining his footing with his superb sense balance. He can only hope Aleina knows what she is doing for the Healer's sake as well as theirs.
  #52  
Unread 17th of June, 2004, 08:57
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.16 per day)
Heulwen

Except for the sounds of Cytaill's search only silence answer's Heulwen's call.

Can I be sure she's not hostile?

From her new position, Heulwen tries again, "Had it not been for my arrow you wouldn't have known that man was behind you until he put that dirk in your back. Surely you realize that."

Continuing her circle, Heulwen closes a little on the area where Cytaill seems to be concentrating her search, using her own eyes, ears, and nose to check the area as well.
  #53  
Unread 17th of June, 2004, 12:36
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.55 per day)
Aashya

She's been holding the knife in her hand, holding it out in something like a warding gesture, holding it ready for the time when the animal finally smells her out and reaches her hiding place.

But now the knife droops in Aashya's hand, almost forgotten. The words coming to her out of the darkness consume her thoughts. How comforting it is to hear this voice, and how tempting it is to believe that the owner of it means her no harm!

She had felt the presence of the man behind her, maybe even sensed his malevolent intent in some way that she didn't really understand. But the voice is right - she had been unable to see him, even though he was practically upon her. If not for that arrow, he might well have taken her completely by surprise. Had the archer truly intended to hit him all along, and had not just missed her and hit him by mistake as she originally thought?

Aashya would like nothing more than to believe this. It would mean that she is much less alone in this world than she believes, much less alone than she feels. To think that someone out there would take a risk to help her.......... No. It can't be. The people of this world are not like that.

But the gnomes had helped her. They had fished her out of the river half-dead, and they took her in when she had nothing, not even a name. There may be others like the gnomes.

But what are the odds of that, really? Wishing won't make it so. And calling out will only bring the unknown upon her sooner. She waits.
  #54  
Unread 18th of June, 2004, 11:50
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.94 per day)
Aashya and Heulwen

Heulwen speaks and then tries to slip further into the woods, to provide her better cover. She can't find a distinct scent, the assailtant's thick odor blankets most of the surrounding area. The woman couldn't have gone far, not without a good deal of stealth. Craning her neck Heulwen cringes as her foot scuffs a pile of old, dead leaves, giving away her position.

Cytaill continues his move forward, head swiveling back and forth. His ears twitch, catching each and every sound. And Aashya can hear the animal's approach, closer and closer, until she feels he must be on top of the rock by her head.

Afraid of what she might see, Aashya silently turns and looks on the rock. Two large eyes stare into her's, and a furry hound-like face regards her. Yet it's the eyes that capture her attention in the dim light. They're dark, deep, and a faint glint suggests this beast is considering her. He sniffs at her once, the snout but a foot from her face. Slowly but surely he leans forward, placing one paw before the other, maitaining balance on the stone.
He halts, an inch or two from her own face and sniffs her again.

Dun, Rhotha'ah, Lyr, Aleina

There is a power in words. One man can sway a thousand if he knows what to say and how to say it. The trick is learning what the listeners want to hear. Draw them slowly into your grasp and then guide them to where you want them to go.

Aleina's words ring out over the low valley, and the two men circling the healer pause briefly to look at the woman on the hillside. Her heart pounds under their gaze. Outnumbered or not, one of her companions could easily die, perhaps even her. And that's where she falters. She doesn't truly believe her words. Neither the Hound nor his servant are swayed.

"Little girl," the Hound says, his soft voice easily floating across the long distance, "I thought I told you not to interfere? Edrick. Take care of them."

The guard, who could only be Edrick, steps forward. A short blade is indeed in his left hand. His right holds a spear, its head made of a black metal or stone. He grins at the dorn's approach and hefts his spear once, readying to strike.

"I'll enjoy guttin' you, boy."

Rhotha'ah focuses on the enemy at hand, and not the horrid stench of burning flesh behind him. He had to pass right by it and even his strong stomach quailed at the olefactory horror.

Meanwhile Lyr's head swims while his mind tries to regain control. The stench, even a hundred feet off, is gut-wrenching. He grasps for a plan, but he's wasted too much time trying to avoid losing his dinner on Bombur.

The Hound returns his attention to the Healer, glowering at the man.

"I thought I told you, Lucien, you would not escape me again. Did you really think he...I would let you get away? Come. Be a good boy and walk with me before any one else is slain."

The healer, looking nervous, clutches an unadorned walking stick in front of him, more out of fear than defense.

"I...I..."

Initiative
Lyr - 17
Dun - 10
Rhotha'ah - 8
Aleina - 2



Drop this text at http://www.irony.com/java/mmee
*BEGIN 0 0 rs 0
*s -3 6u 2g rs 0 *s -3 6v 2l rs 0 *s -3 8x 25 rs 0 *s -3 6u
@7w rs 0 *s -3 6v 14 rs 0 *s -3 6w 7v rs 0 *s -3 6t 7z rs 0 *s
@-3 6w 7x rs 0 *s -3 7j 7z rs 0 *s -3 7h 7z rs 0 *s -3 64 7y
@rs 0 *s -3 7i 7w rs 0 *s -3 96 7s rs 0 *s -3 6v 6g rs 0 *s
@-3 8f 6p rs 0 *s -3 6w h rs 0 X *s -3 6s 16 rs 0 *s -3 6w cn
@rs 0 *s -3 6y cl rs 0 *s -3 6v cm rs 0 Ho *s -3 7g ck rs 0 *s
@-3 7f cn rs 0 *s -3 7f cm rs 0 He *s -3 6w bw rs 0 *s -3 6z ak
@rs 0 *s -3 6w al rs 0 E *s -3 6c 4n rs 0 *s -3 68 4n rs 0 *s
@-3 68 4k rs 0 *s -3 69 4n rs 0 *s -3 69 4m rs 0 R *s -3 8p 5d
@rs 0 *s -3 2s 1t rs 0 *s -3 2s 1w rs 0 D *s -1 4c o rs 0 0 4c
@-o 4c o *s -1 4g o rs 0 0 48 o 4g g *s -1 4c o rs 0 0 4c o 44 g *s
@-1 7g 2o rs 0 0 7g 2o 5w 2o *s -1 6w 2w rs 0 0 6g 2g 6w 2w *s -1
@6w 2o rs 0 0 6g 2o 6w 28 *s -1 7c 6s rs 0 0 7c 6s 68 5w *s -1 6s
@6k rs 0 0 6s 64 6s 6k *s -1 70 6c rs 0 0 6k 6c 70 6c *s -1 o 6s
@rs 0 0 -g 6s o 5w *s -1 o 6o rs 0 0 o 60 o 6o *s -1 o 6c rs 0 0
@o 6c 0 6c *s -1 o 3c rs 0 0 -o 3c o 3c *s -1 o 3c rs 0 0 o 3c 0
@2o *s -1 o 3o rs 0 0 o 30 0 3o *s -1 o o rs 0 0 -o -o o o *s -1
@o o rs 0 0 o o o 8 *s -1 o o rs 0 0 o o 8 o *s -1 4c 70 rs 0 0
@4c 70 4c 64 *s -1 4g 6s rs 0 0 48 6c 4g 6s *s -1 4c 6s rs 0 0 4c
@6c 3w 6s
*END -v3jxdi
  #55  
Unread 18th of June, 2004, 13:07
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.55 per day)
Aashya

Like a bird transfixed by the approaching snake, Aashya stares at the dark form that almost seems to float before her eyes.

It- it is a dog. A huge dog. Nothing at all like the watch dogs kept by the gnomes. Well, at least its head is huge; that is the only part of the animal that Aashya can see from here. She could probably fit her whole head inside its mouth, judging by the size of the shaggy muzzle that fills her vision.

It stretches its neck toward her, moving even closer to sniff her again. Whiskers like bristles brush her quivering cheek. That breaks the spell. Aashya leaps back away from the dog and her stone hiding place, forgetting the archer for the moment. Surprisingly, the beast holds its position even as she takes a few cautious steps back.

"Stay!" She tries to command it, but ends up pleading instead. "Stay? ... Nice dog. Stay back. I- I don't want to hurt you." Her knife glints dully in the starlight as she waves it in the air in front of her. But she's painfully aware that the small blade won't really do her much good if the animal decides to attack.
  #56  
Unread 18th of June, 2004, 14:32
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Dun gulps down whatever was in his dry mouth at the time, the situation is turning deadly serious by the second. It was something like what they had expected but had hoped against. The Erelander winces as he imagines the coming clash between the large Dorn and the Hound's man. Who will remain standing, it was anyone's guess. "Must stay focused...", he reminds himself, "We must try to save the old man ... while avoid getting killed." He redoubles his efforts to close the range so he may be of some help.

"Where is that Lyr?" Dun asks as he suddenly realize they no longer 'out-number' them as she just threatened. Shaking his head in anger, he moves into position to let loose a deadly volley.

OOC: Dun moves closer, timing his bow shot at Edrick just as Rhotha'ah's light illuminates the guard for a clear shot. By my calculations, Dun should be within 60' from Edrick since Dun will have moved 60'+30' while Edrick has moved up as well (150-60-30-?=). [+3 shortbow, 1d6 assuming range >30' and +4 shortbow, 1d6+1 <=30']

Last edited by Berova; 18th of June, 2004 at 18:26.
  #57  
Unread 18th of June, 2004, 18:03
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Rhotha'ah

Putting the acrid stench of burning flesh behind him, Rhotha'ah fixes his gaze on the advancing Edrick. The Dorn opens the floodgates of his pent up rage, allowing the white hot rivers of emotion flood through his being and wash over his barbarian soul. Roaring loudly in defiance, he allows long and muscled legs carry him easily towards his quarry, sword flashing in the torchlight as he brings it to bear against the man.

OOC: This is assuming I'm 40' away from Edrick. Rhotha'ah will activate his Rage ability (giving him a Str of 22, Con of 18, Will save of +3, and an AC of 14), and move 40' before attacking.

This is assuming I'm 80' away from Edrick. Rhotha'ah will enact a charge against the man and attack, using the charge to bring him the 80 feet to be able to do so. No Rage just yet.
  #58  
Unread 18th of June, 2004, 18:17
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

"Oh... dear." Lyr's tone infuses the mildest of oaths with the kind of frustration that would have earned a salty curse from Dun or an obscure threat of dismemberment from Rhotha'ah. He glances at Aleina, a touch of admiration in his eyes for her brave attempt at negotiation in the face of danger.

Starting to spin his sling to build momentum for the shot, Lyr half-jogs, half-stumbles down the slope in the opposite direction from Dun, eyes straining in the dark to see either of the two evil men.


OOC: Lyr hustles down the right (as viewed on the map) flank.
Balance +2, Ref save +3 in case of tripping or slipping.
  #59  
Unread 19th of June, 2004, 02:44
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.16 per day)
Heulwen

Noting the Cytaill has found the woman, and that she did not immediately attack, Heulwen forgos any further attempt at stealth and steps out into the open.

"I would put that away if I were you," she says, gesturing to the woman's knife, "Cytaill won't harm you unless you attack him or me."

Blowing on the whistle around her neck, Heulwen calls Cytaill to her side and rests the point of her short sword on the ground.

"The woods are no place for a young girl at night. You may be capable in combat or just lucky, but that man certianly could have killed you. What brings you out into the dark of night?"
  #60  
Unread 19th of June, 2004, 04:12
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.55 per day)
Aashya

Maybe the dog isn't as large as she thought at first. It doesn't look quite so menacing now that she's taken a few steps back. She relaxes just a little, becoming curious about the animal. What kind of dog is this anyway?

At almost the same moment that she realizes she's out in the open again, movement a few yards away - a ripple of dark against dark - catches her eye, and she's back on her guard. She squints trying to make out a shape in the darkness. Certainly it is humanoid, but very slight.

The light, female voice again - it suggests that she put away her knife. Aashya lets the knife in her hand fall to her side. She's more confused than afraid now, but still wary.

"You're the one who tried to shoot me," she says, not accusing, just matter-of-factly. "Or was it the man you were aiming at? Who was he?" Who are you? is what I should be asking.......

"Why don't you come closer so I can see you." Aashya takes a hesitant step forward herself, but eyes the dog nervously as she does so.
  #61  
Unread 19th of June, 2004, 04:38
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,850 (1.77 per day)
Aleina

The words ring false even in her own ears, and it is clear from the reactions below that she has failed -yet again- to impress the Hound. For the first time today, a dull ember of anger pulses in her belly, it's warmth pushing back the chilling fear. Despite her lack of any weapon, she nevertheless follows Lyr's lead as he moves down the slope.

<OOC: Double move to stay next to Lyr.>
  #62  
Unread 19th of June, 2004, 08:41
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.94 per day)
Lyr and Aleina

He moves down the hill easily, surprisingly so considering his still-reeling stomach. Rhotha'ah is charging a man that looks to be holding a spear. The two meet with a clash of weapons. Ten, maybe twenty, feet behind the two warriors are the figures of the Hound and Healer, but they aren't easily discerned in the shadows.

Behind he can hear Aleina's footsteps as she keeps pace with him. Bombur, holding perhaps more sense than the rest, remains behind at the top of the hill.

Dun

He threads his way as best he can, stumbling twice while moving laterally along the slope. Still he finds a better position and stands still. A slight creak is the only sound made by the arrow being drawn to his cheek. He sees the dorn charge a blade-wielding shadow moving through the near-darkness. Edrick is an easier mark, however. The small fires from the lightning and a discarded torch shed more light on the man than any other in the valley. Dun releases the arrow, trying to time the flight before the dorn engages the man.

The arrow speeds through the night, flashing past Rhotha'ah, but it goes wide from Edrick. Despite the presence of light, the shot is simply too difficult.

Rhotha'ah

Rage can be a boon and a bane. Any dorn who's felt the tug of battle-lust can tell you this. Once the bloodfury is upon you, there's nothing in the world but you and the man you're fighting. All the aches and cuts vanish, and nothing remains but the opponent and your weapons. If he dies, you move onto the next, and then the next, and then the next until there's none left that can stand before your wrath.

Rhotha'ah feels something of this now. An arrow flashes past him, but he barely notices.

The fury sweeps over him easily enough and he barrels forward blade raised high and torch in hand. He swings the blade diagonally, aiming a long slash along the man's midsection. Yet Edrick is no green warrior, and he makes a quickside step, slashing at Rhotha'ah's swordhand before making a stab with his spear. Yet the dorn is battle savvy enough to dance backward a pace, deflecting the thrust with his blade.

The Healer and the Hound

"Come, Lucien, is that what you've been reduced to? Stammering like an idiot? Your time with these...vermin have addled your wits."

The Hound folds his arms over his chest, ignoring the arrow and the duel errupting a few scant feet away. He frowns.

"I've run out of patience, I'm afraid. You will come with me, now."

The Healer stumbles forward a step, almost involuntarily, before regaining his balance. His fingers grip the staff tightly and he shakes his head once.

"You will come, whether you will it or no."

He flings the jet cloak back from his shoulders and begins to chant in a deep, booming voice. Arms strech in front of him, raised above his prey. The Healer does nothing but grip the staff harder and closes his eyes.

"Coercere mens sequi!"

The staff falls to the ground with a dull thump.

Heulwen and Aashya

At the sound of the whistle Cytaill turns his head to look at Heulwen. The wogren watches her for a moment, studying her, before turning his head back to Aashya. He sniffs her once more before hoping down from the rocks. Instead of sitting by the halfling's side, he pads a few feet and stops, seating himself between Heulwen and Aashya.

Drop this text at http://www.irony.com/java/mmee
*BEGIN 0 0 rs 0
*s -3 6u 2g rs 0 *s -3 6v 2l rs 0 *s -3 8x 25 rs 0 *s -3 6u
@7w rs 0 *s -3 6v 14 rs 0 *s -3 6w 7v rs 0 *s -3 6t 7z rs 0 *s
@-3 6w 7x rs 0 *s -3 7j 7z rs 0 *s -3 7h 7z rs 0 *s -3 64 7y
@rs 0 *s -3 7i 7w rs 0 *s -3 96 7s rs 0 *s -3 6v 6g rs 0 *s
@-3 8f 6p rs 0 *s -3 6w h rs 0 X *s -3 6s 16 rs 0 *s -3 6w cn
@rs 0 *s -3 6y cl rs 0 *s -3 6v cm rs 0 Ho *s -3 7g ck rs 0 *s
@-3 7f cn rs 0 *s -3 7f cm rs 0 He *s -3 6w bw rs 0 *s -3 6z ak
@rs 0 *s -3 6w al rs 0 E *s -3 6c 4n rs 0 *s -3 68 4n rs 0 *s
@-3 68 4k rs 0 *s -3 69 4n rs 0 *s -3 6v 9u rs 0 R *s -3 8p 5d
@rs 0 *s -3 2s 1t rs 0 *s -1 4c o rs 0 0 4c -o 4c o *s -1 4g o
@rs 0 0 48 o 4g g *s -1 4c o rs 0 0 4c o 44 g *s -1 7g 2o rs 0 0
@7g 2o 5w 2o *s -1 6w 2w rs 0 0 6g 2g 6w 2w *s -1 6w 2o rs 0 0 6g
@2o 6w 28 *s -1 7c 6s rs 0 0 7c 6s 68 5w *s -1 6s 6k rs 0 0 6s 64
@6s 6k *s -1 70 6c rs 0 0 6k 6c 70 6c *s -1 o 6s rs 0 0 -g 6s o
@5w *s -1 o 6o rs 0 0 o 60 o 6o *s -1 o 6c rs 0 0 o 6c 0 6c *s -1
@o 3c rs 0 0 -o 3c o 3c *s -1 o 3c rs 0 0 o 3c 0 2o *s -1 o 3o rs
@0 0 o 30 0 3o *s -1 o o rs 0 0 -o -o o o *s -1 o o rs 0 0 o o o
@8 *s -1 o o rs 0 0 o o 8 o *s -1 4c 70 rs 0 0 4c 70 4c 64 *s -1
@4g 6s rs 0 0 48 6c 4g 6s *s -1 4c 6s rs 0 0 4c 6c 3w 6s *s -3 9l
@1s rs 0 *s -3 9i 1u rs 0 *s -3 a8 1v rs 0 *s -3 a3 1x rs 0 *s
@-3 a3 1x rs 0 L *s -3 9i 1u rs 0 *s -3 9g 1x rs 0 A *s -3 bn 1s
@rs 0 *s -3 2u 5u rs 0 *s -3 2u 60 rs 0 *s -3 2u 5x rs 0 D
*END 5ow1fl

Last edited by Cadrius; 20th of June, 2004 at 03:11.
  #63  
Unread 19th of June, 2004, 08:56
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.16 per day)
Heulwen

Slightly frustrated that Cytaill doesn't do exactly what she wanted, Heulwen makes yet another mental note to spend some time training with him.

What he does, however, is good enough for her purposes, and Heulwen lets the whistle drop.

"I most certianly hit who I was aiming for. Even if your human eyes have trouble in the dark, I am not so hindered. As for who he was, I suspect he was one of the group my companions and I were chasing. I can think of no others that would be out here at night. Which brings me back to my question. Why is a young girl like yourself out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night? Who are you that you take such chances with your life?"
  #64  
Unread 19th of June, 2004, 11:37
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.55 per day)
Aashya

"As for who he was, I suspect he was one of the group my companions and I were chasing."

Her companions - they must be the people on the road with the torch. Where have they gotten to now? Aashya wonders, glancing around uncertainly. They were out chasing someone; or rather, chasing another group of people. She can't even imagine what is going on here. She realizes with a sick feeling that she might be speaking with a legate, or some other servant of the Dark God. Instinct tells her she's probably better off not knowing what's going on.

She lowers her gaze, almost unconsciously stooping her shoulders as she does so, and adopts an inoffensive tone of voice.

"I'm just a traveller," she answers the archer. "I was camped off the road and I saw the torchlight. I- I was curious, that's all."

Why did she say that about my 'human eyes'? If she's not human, what is she?
  #65  
Unread 19th of June, 2004, 11:43
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Dun continues to move laterally along the slope, looking for an opening and a better shot at Edrick. He stays on the edges of Rhotha'ah's torchlight and will take another shot at Edrick at first opportunity. Hopefully, between them, the Dorn and he will be able to take the guard out.

OOC: Dun will move along the slope unless he needs to move a bit down in order to get within 30' or point black range from Edrick. (assuming he get's within 30') [+4 shortbow, 1d6+1]
  #66  
Unread 19th of June, 2004, 16:41
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

Scrambling down the slope, Lyr pauses, looking out into the shallow valley. Still too far, too dark to sling a bullet. He starts moving again, keeps jogging and leaping downwards.

Calling quietly back over his shoulder, he says "Aleina... if you have no weapon, it might be best if you stood back... I don't wish any hostile attention my attack may bring to fall on you, as well."
  #67  
Unread 20th of June, 2004, 02:59
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.16 per day)
Heulwen

The girls change in tone and posture are clear and familiar to the halfling. They reminder her of her daily life before her escape. The fear of the orcs; the uncertianty of their reactions; the need to please without wanting to or quite knowing how...

Shaking her head clear of her memories, Heulwen adopts a gentler tone of voice, trying her best to sound like her mother, "Curiosity is nothing to be ashamed of."

Sheething her sword, Heulwen points to the woman's dagger with her now empty hand, "You can put that away, I intend you no harm. My name is Heulwen, and this is Cytaill. What's yours, and why is a young girl such as yourself travelling all alone?"
  #68  
Unread 20th of June, 2004, 22:09
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.55 per day)
Aashya

Heulwen's gentle words fall like soft rain on Aashya's parched and lonely spirit. How many days has it been now since she heard a friendly voice?

"I'm not ashamed of being curious," she says simply, looking up with head slightly tilted. She walks slowly forward, keeping her eyes on the slight figure still hidden in the darkness ahead. As she moves closer the figure resolves itself into that of a... child? No. Aashya might have mistaken it for a child if she hadn't heard the voice first. The figure is not a gnome either, although the size is nearly right.

A halfling, Aashya finally decides, surprised. But halflings are slaves. Everyone knows this. Right? She can't actually recall ever having seen a halfing before, but she must have at some time in her life. This one however is obviously not a slave. She doesn't speak like a slave, for one thing. And Aashya knows that a slave would never be armed with a bow and a sword. An image comes to her mind out of distant legend: half-sized men and women roaming the plains with their animal companions. She looks back over at the 'dog' with sudden interest. A wogren!

Aashya sheaths her knife and returns it to her pocket. "I'm called Aashya." She pauses to consider Heulwen's question - asked for the third time now! -and how to answer. There's so much she doesn't know herself. It's just a feeling that drives her, something in the back of her mind, a half-thought. That feeling, and the hope of finding her own answers, has set her feet on the road.

"I have to get to Greenfield," she answers finally, resolutely. "And I'm alone because... because... well, there's only me."

She looks away, her thoughts going back to Swiftwater and her sudden decision to strike out on her own. All this because of a vague feeling. Gylda had warned her that it would be dangerous. Still, Aashya had been compelled to go. "I couldn't ask any of the gnomes to leave the river and come with me......" she continues softly, more to herself now than to Heulwen.

It does no good to look back. What's behind is behind; she can only go forward. And things have not turned out badly so far, in spite of being shot at and nearly knifed in the back! A small smile lifts the corners of her mouth. The night is cold but suddenly she feels warm, warmer than she has in days.

"I don't seem that young, do I?" she asks Heulwen with a slight laugh. "You can't be too many years older than me, and you're out alone. No wait. You said you have companions. Where have they gone?"

Last edited by Kelemyn; 21st of June, 2004 at 01:21.
  #69  
Unread 20th of June, 2004, 22:55
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Rhotha'ah

Despite his bulk and reckless attack, his footwork is light as he dances in and out of the way of his opponent's blade, following Edrick's movements across the battle field. Even though it is only a matter of time before the blade lands across his flesh, Rhotha'ah continues to press his attack on the man swinging the blade in deadly arcs, oblivious to the conflicts occuring elsewhere.

OOC: Continuing to attack Edrick, and will use my move action to follow him if he moves away.

Last edited by Kahluah; 20th of June, 2004 at 22:58.
  #70  
Unread 21st of June, 2004, 00:11
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.16 per day)
Heulwen

Echoing Aashya's slight laugh with a small chortle of her own, Heulwen replies, "I suppose not. I guess I feel much older than I actually am. The product of a hard and miserable existance for most of my days."

"As for my companions, they went ahead to check the site of that lightening strike. One of them suspected that the unusual occurance could be the doing of the men we are chasing," shrugging her shoulders, Heulwen's body language indicates that she doesn't give much credence to this theory.

"I could not keep up with their longer legs, and it seems that for you, it was a good thing that I couldn't. Come, they should be at the site by now and so won't be moving much further at the moment. We should catch up to them. Your assailant could come back, and, if he is who I think he is, when he does he'll have a friend or two with him."
  #71  
Unread 21st of June, 2004, 23:14
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,850 (1.77 per day)
Aleina

The wind whispers through a forest gone black, past halfling, wogren and human, to break free with a diaphanous sigh that kisses the fletching on an arrow full drawn, the archer dangerously poised. It slithers restlessly, stirring the raven hair of a slight pair of erenlanders, as alike as they are different - spun, perhaps, with the same fabric but of drastically different weaves. The breeze buckles past a giant of a man engaged in hot combat with an enemy near equal to his fury, and then wends slowly forward to embrace a third pair. These two strive so desparately against one another that the aura is a palpable, living thing, charged with the savory scent of triumph and the acrid aroma of loss.

if you have no weapon

Aleina's ice white eyes take these two in and she unconsciously heeds Lyr's words as her feet stop moving of their own accord. The shrieking sound of steel on steel is swept into the background by the mystic words that thrum from the hound's maw. The stunted sound of Lucien's staff striking the sward echoes through her soul. The wisp of wind shifts, arcing back and billowing through her cloak as she raises her arms, suddenly swept into action. Her own voice rises like a sudden storm and this time it is not the uncertain sound of a frightened fawn, but the bare power of nature's fury.

"Il arranan ghelud!"

<OOC: Cast Entangle, on the Healer/Hound centered far enough south of them that it doesn't get Rhotha'ah or Edrick.>

Last edited by Gralhruk; 21st of June, 2004 at 23:19.
  #72  
Unread 22nd of June, 2004, 07:04
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.55 per day)
Aashya

Ah, the lightning strike.

Perhaps it hadn't been a natural phenomenon afterall. Aashya had nearly forgotten about it, with everything that had happened since. It is frightening to think that these men that Heulwen talks about might have that kind of power.

Aashya longs for morning and an end to straining her eyes to see in the dark. Heulwen's steps are sure as she heads for the rise; Aashya has to go carefully to avoid tripping over treeroots or twisting her ankle in a sudden hollow. She looks back over her shoulder often, imagining the swift pang of a steel blade between her ribs. She hopes that the man who assailed her earlier is far away by now, and uninterested in trying his luck again.

What lies ahead? What will Heulwen's companions be like? The silence is heavy, the only sound her own fumbling steps as they trudge along in the dark. Aashya holds her questions, unwilling to voice her uncertainty.

It will be all right.....
  #73  
Unread 22nd of June, 2004, 09:48
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.94 per day)
Lyr

Hustling forward, he passes into the area dimly lit by the grass fires and discarded torch. Both targets are engaged, but he could attempt a shot with his sling. The stone bullet feels small, almost worthless in his hand, and yet it might just make a difference.

Dun

Damn!

The light mixed with swordplay is making a rather average shot into a tremendous hassle. Hoping that closer range will prove more useful, Dun crosses diagonally down the slope. Stopping he draws another arrow from his quiver and fires again. The thrum of the bowstring snapping back heralds the flight of the arrow.

Damn!

Missed again. The dorn's large frame is not helping matters.

Rhotha'ah

He redoubles his efforts, a small part of him knowing the battlelust will only last briefly. He hammers down blows upon his foe, hacking and slashing. Edrick shifts and parries, but leaves himself open. Seizing his chance the dorn makes a quick swipe at the man's stomach. The sword rips through the thick overcoat and scrapes against metal.

In the dim light, Rhotha'ah can see the glint of small metal links of chain. The man grins and launches his own assault, side-stepping to try and hit the dorn's swordarm. Yet Rhotha'ah manages to fend off the blows with a combination of parries, blocks, and luck.

The Healer and The Hound

"Oh, bloody..."

The normally plain underbrush erupts beneath their feet, grasses coiling about their legs. The currently vapid Healer stands, slack-jawed, content to be enveloped by the wild vegetation. The Hound does not accept it so easily. Twisting his feet, he dances out of their grasp.

Ensnarement briefly avoided, his gaze snaps up, fixating on Aleina. The faintest hint of a smile brushes his face.

"Arundo acere avolare!"

A flash of green, almost too fast to follow, flies from the Hound's hand and rockets toward Aleina.

Aleina

Her victory is short-lived. She feels the rush of success, in wielding her power despite the danger. The grasses spring to life by her call and then begin to wrap around the feet and calves of the two men.

And then things stop going as planned.

The Healer is thoroughly caught, the plants wrapping around up to his waist. Yet the Hound proves more nimble. He dances out of the grasp of her enchantment and then launches one of his own.

She has just enough sense to throw herself to the ground. Her body doesn't know what the green thing is, but it knows it'll hurt if it touches her. Aleina hits the side of the hill, getting a face full of grass and dirt, but she hears the green bolt collide into the hill behind her.

Scrambling to her knees she looks over her shoulder. A melted patch of grass and hill sits where the bolt struck.

Drop this text at http://www.irony.com/java/mmee
*BEGIN 0 0 rs 0
*s -3 6u 2g rs 0 *s -3 6v 2l rs 0 *s -3 8x 25 rs 0 *s -3 6u
@7w rs 0 *s -3 6v 14 rs 0 *s -3 6w 7v rs 0 *s -3 6t 7z rs 0 *s
@-3 6w 7x rs 0 *s -3 7j 7z rs 0 *s -3 7h 7z rs 0 *s -3 64 7y
@rs 0 *s -3 7i 7w rs 0 *s -3 96 7s rs 0 *s -3 6v 6g rs 0 *s
@-3 8f 6p rs 0 *s -3 6w h rs 0 X *s -3 6s 16 rs 0 *s -3 6w cn
@rs 0 *s -3 6y cl rs 0 *s -3 6v cm rs 0 Ho *s -3 7g ck rs 0 *s
@-3 7f cn rs 0 *s -3 7f cm rs 0 He *s -3 6w bw rs 0 *s -3 6z ak
@rs 0 *s -3 7h 9w rs 0 E *s -3 6c 4n rs 0 *s -3 68 4n rs 0 *s
@-3 68 4k rs 0 *s -3 69 4n rs 0 *s -3 6v 9u rs 0 R *s -3 8p 5d
@rs 0 *s -3 2s 1t rs 0 *s -1 4c o rs 0 0 4c -o 4c o *s -1 4g o
@rs 0 0 48 o 4g g *s -1 4c o rs 0 0 4c o 44 g *s -1 7g 2o rs 0 0
@7g 2o 5w 2o *s -1 6w 2w rs 0 0 6g 2g 6w 2w *s -1 6w 2o rs 0 0 6g
@2o 6w 28 *s -1 7c 6s rs 0 0 7c 6s 68 5w *s -1 6s 6k rs 0 0 6s 64
@6s 6k *s -1 70 6c rs 0 0 6k 6c 70 6c *s -1 o 6s rs 0 0 -g 6s o
@5w *s -1 o 6o rs 0 0 o 60 o 6o *s -1 o 6c rs 0 0 o 6c 0 6c *s -1
@o 3c rs 0 0 -o 3c o 3c *s -1 o 3c rs 0 0 o 3c 0 2o *s -1 o 3o rs
@0 0 o 30 0 3o *s -1 o o rs 0 0 -o -o o o *s -1 o o rs 0 0 o o o
@8 *s -1 o o rs 0 0 o o 8 o *s -1 4c 70 rs 0 0 4c 70 4c 64 *s -1
@4g 6s rs 0 0 48 6c 4g 6s *s -1 4c 6s rs 0 0 4c 6c 3w 6s *s -3 9l
@1s rs 0 *s -3 9i 1u rs 0 *s -3 a8 1v rs 0 *s -3 a3 1x rs 0 *s
@-3 a7 9w rs 0 L *s -3 9i 1u rs 0 *s -3 9g 1x rs 0 A *s -3 bn 1s
@rs 0 *s -3 2u 5u rs 0 *s -3 2u 60 rs 0 *s -3 3g 6l rs 0 D
*END w4afjt
  #74  
Unread 22nd of June, 2004, 17:36
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Rhotha'ah

Seeing the links of chain under the waistcoat, the large Dorn roars more, the rage empowering him to change his tactics a little. Disregarding all safety for himself, Rhotha'ah steps right into the face of the man in front of him and quickly slams a meaty palm at the man's chest while standing on his foot, pushing the man with as much force as his rage will allow him.

OOC: Attempting to trip Edrick this round
  #75  
Unread 22nd of June, 2004, 17:42
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

It is dawn in the darkness.

Lyr almost stops, immobilised by disbelief as he feels it rise behind him. Phoenix feathers of sensation, searing hot and zephyr-soft at once, stroke across his back as the very metaphyisical landscape warps.

It is spring after the thousand-years of winter.

He looks, not with his eyes but with his inner sight, knowing the soul of the incantion better than he knows his own flesh and blood. Thye are temporary, ephemeral in their corporeality; He is the Magic, the Magic is Aryth, Aryth is the Him.

"'Il arranan...'"

Lyr knows the words, knows the spell. His fingers weave the same gestures as Aleina's, a hundred feet behind him. Ivo, the twist of the index finger into a semi-circle towards the right, a foundational form; empin, the bending back of the ring finger so that its tip is paralell with the first knuckle of the middle finger; loraa, the turning at the wrist of the hand palm-upwards as the fingers open, symbolic of the manumission of the spell; fuorn, the sealing motion of the flattened hand from vertical to a smooth horizontal.

"'...ghelud!'"

But it is no good. He could shout the incantation, beg and berate and rave against the impersonal forces of illimited power that govern Magic, make the signs with the force his Dornish ally wields his sword, but it would do no good. There is a barrier, uncircumventable, unbreachable, that seals him forever from the uttermost completetion of his life. From the Magic he yearns though every fibre and in every catacomb of the soul to wield himself. No avail. No appeasement. No appeal.

It is birth itself; and Lyr a'Corian is stillborn.

But yet, he tries.

The crystal-eyed Aleina calls forth her sorcery, using powers born of instinct, training and the self-certain force of her own will, inclination and emotions, expressing her desires in a plea the world itself cannot deny. As the plants flourish, twisted into grabbing, clawing living hands, Lyr stifles a groan. His own soul, a raging torrent of fire and light stronger by a small fraction than Aleina's own, leaps, raging against his skin with the force of a caged demon, howling for relase.

But there is no bridge. No vent. No outlet for that power to take form and flow into the channeler who can wield it. So Lyr stands, hands and lips lovingly crafting a hollow mimicry of the spell, lost for long instants in loss and pain and envy and shame.

Impotent.

The hurricane of energy within him, striving for release, cannot wield the stronger tool of his magic to bring about its effect on the material world. Instead, it turns to the weaker tool : Lyr's body.

His head snaps up. Where his dark eyes once held gentle melancholy, they are now home only to the white-hot rage of the spoiled child, deprived of a favoured poppet. His slim fingers clench, nails cutting into flesh as he snarls in deep roar that will leave his throat raw on the morrow:

"Hound! You, heeling dog of the Night King! Face me!"

Lyr's arm begins to whip around, faster and faster and faster. His breath comes in broken snaps, ignoring the pain of thin muscles forced by rage to exert more force than they can bare. He releases the sling; the bullet lashes through the air, the smallest marker of a great fury.

Last edited by Dirigible; 22nd of June, 2004 at 17:47.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren