Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > -J-'s Games > Eberron : The Price of War

Unread 28th of July, 2012, 09:01
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

Member: #1006
Where to begin…

First I’d be curious as to what about spells it is that you don’t like, but that can wait.

Second, a font of positive energy is definitely something outside the realm of “normal” in regards to how people in Eberron see magic. There are of course are many complications that will come with such a heritage.

I’ll try to take your questions in order.

Endurance is a stat, and you spend points of your personal endurance to do things like run and swing a sword. When END hits 0, your exhausted and have difficulties being active. You can continue to be active, but those points of END you’re spending will now come off of stun.

Endurance reserves for spells essentially represent a separate pool of ‘go juice’ that is used only for powering spells/magical abilities. I’ve discussed in previous posts what happens when they run out for the different classes.

Variable power pools are exceptionally powerful and unbalancing, which is why if they are allowed they are heavily limited. If you want to use a variable power pool, it has to take the limitations of a cleric or those of a mage – else spells/magical abilities must be purchased separately.

The difference between spell and innate magical ability are the limitations. By not taking the limitations you are effectively build an innate magical ability (much more akin to super powers), which by their very nature can be unbalancing. Because of this they are exempt from the cost reduction that spells receive. That’s not to say that you can’t build them, you can, they simply be more expensive than the more common rote casting.

If you want to keep the regeneration as an inherent power, that’s fine. You will also need to take the Inherent (+) and Perceivable (-).

Regeneration
2 body/turn, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection (prevented by desecration) Inherent (+) Perceivable (-) 71AP 47RP

The constant “bleeding out” could be emulated by buying your powers Persistant, 0 end, always on, AOE radius.

If you want to get an idea of how combat works in hero look at the “How to be a hero on hero” thread. As far as damage, most characters will be dishing out somewhere between 30-45 active points. What this looks like healing wise depends on the type of damage (how the attack power was purchased). There are two types of damage in hero – normal and killing.

Normal damage is the sort done by fists, clubs, general blasts of energy, etc. When hit with normal damage a character gets to use all of his PD or ED (depending on whether the damage is physical or energy based). The dice are rolled and the face value represents the amount of STUN damage the attack does. The amount of body damage is determined thusly – every 6 is worth 2 body, every 2-5 is worth 1 body, and 1’s are worth 0 body. As PD or ED is applied to both the STUN damage and the BODY damage, you can see that normal attacks tend to do a good job of knocking people goofy, but have a difficult time causing lethal injuries.

Example: Tolliver casts a 6d6N fireball spell. On his dice he rolls the following: 1,2,2,4,6,6. The attack does 1+2+2+4+6+6 (21)stun and 0+1+1+1+2+2 (7)body. If this attack was directed against a normal orc (PD/ED 4) in Chain mail (rPD/rED 5) he would take 21-9 = 12 stun and 7-9 = 0 body.

Killing damage are attacks that are lethal by their nature – blades, bullets, lasers, concentrated elemental attacks, etc. Normal PD and ED do not defend against the body damage from a killing damage (they do defend against the stun from a killing attack). No matter how tough a pugilist you are, bullets will still kill you dead. When you roll killing damage the face value represent the amount of BODY damage done. This body damage is then multiplied by a stun multiplier (based on where you hit the person, or in the case of an AOE killing attack a 1d6-1 roll)

Example: Not deterred by Tolliver’s fireball the orc charges. Deciding to end the fight Tolliver switches to his Arcane Bolt (2d6 RKA). He hits the orc in the vitals and rolls the following: 4,5. This means the orc takes 9 body and (because the vitals are a x4 multiplier) 36 stun to his defenses. 9 -4 = 5 body damage through his defenses and 36-8= 28 stun through his defenses. Because the shot was to the vitals the body damage that got through is doubled for a total of ten – more than enough to drop the average man)

The Hit Location table is in the How to be a hero on hero thread I posted in the foundry.

Here are some suggestions

Font of Light: Regeneration (1 BODY per Turn), Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Inherent (+1/4) (51 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy Damage; -1/4) (34 points)

Aura of Purification: Severe Transform 1 point (Poisoned or diseased body into a healthy body), Persistent (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +3/4), Mobile (1m per Phase; +1/2) (19 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) (8 points)

Aura of Healing: General Healing 2d6, Persistent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +3/4), Mobile (1m per Phase; +1/2) (70 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy; -1/4) (35 points)

Focused Light: Healing BODY 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy; -1/4) (15 points)

Total: 92 points

None of the above require any sort of skill roll, or cost endurance. They also function while you’re unconscious. They are innate magical abilities that cannot be dispelled, countered or drained.
Unread 28th of July, 2012, 14:29
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Oh wow. Neat. That makes sense.
Could I stick a Variable Effect advantage on the Focused Light thing to have it affect other stats?
Also I'm sort of confused how Mobile works. Will the aura just move with her automatically, and that's how you cost it out?
Unread 28th of July, 2012, 15:30
-J-

Yes mobile allows the AOE to move with you. With out the AOE would technically be tied to the spot where you activated it (since it has no range), and the other advantages would keep it going in that spot forever.

Focused Light General Healing 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Characteristics (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy; -1/4) (18points)
Unread 28th of July, 2012, 15:33
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Yay!
Okay, I'll start poking at the rest of the sheet.
Unread 28th of July, 2012, 15:40
-J-

As for how healing works, I like how the generic healing per wound has worked in the past so I'm going to stick with that.

What that means for you is that first generic healing hits both body and stun at the same time kind of like reverse normal damage (face value = the stun healed, the body damage is how much body is healed).

The max limits for healing are applied per day per wound, which means that you can heal 4 body and 12 stun to every wound a person has just by standing next to them. If you switch your focused healing to just body you could heal another 8 body per wound. Of course the biggest benefit of the focused light is that it can repair any decreased stat.

The aura of purification will completely heal every person with in 4m of all poison/disease within about 20 segments (Constant AOEs do their "damage" on every segment) - or about 24 seconds (assuming a 10 body and no power defense).
Unread 28th of July, 2012, 15:42
-J-

When working with your stats remember that a 10 is average, and ok =)
Unread 28th of July, 2012, 17:12
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Alright, here's a first go at it.

Liss
Val Char Cost roll notes
13 STR 3 11- Lift 150kg 2d6
11 DEX 2 11- OCV 3 DCV 3
13 CON 3 11-
12 BODY 2
10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-
20 EGO 10 13- ECV 3 DECV 5
16 PRE 6 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
5 PD 3 6PD (+5rPD chainmail?)
4 ED 2 4ED (+5rED chainmail?)
2 SPD 0 Phases: 6,12
8 REC 4
30 END 2
28 STUN 4 Total: 47

High EGO/willpower. Can it go higher than 20? Or is 20 already a whole bunch?

Movement
Running 12m/24m
Leaping 4m/8m

Is this right?

Powers
Cost Powers
34 Font of Light: Regeneration (1 BODY per Turn), Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Inherent (+1/4) (51 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy Damage; -1/4) (34 points)
8 Aura of Purification: Severe Transform 1 point (Poisoned or diseased body into a healthy body), Persistent (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +3/4), Mobile (1m per Phase; +1/2) (19 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) (8 points)
35 Aura of Healing: General Healing 2d6, Persistent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +3/4), Mobile (1m per Phase; +1/2) (70 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy; -1/4) (35 points)
18 Focused Light: General Healing 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Characteristics (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy; -1/4) (18 points)
5 Sustaining Force: Life Support; Diminished Eating (1 point); Diminished Sleep (1 point); Longevity (3 points)

Added the Sustaining Force thing. Self-sufficient etc.

Talents
none?

Not enough points.

Skills
1 Area Knowledge: Five Nations 8-
3 Charm 12-
3 Conversation 12-
3 Interrogation 12-
3 Persuasion 12-
2 Professional Skill (Knight) 11-
4 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical) 12-
6 Weapon Familiarity: Common Melee, Common Missile, Common Martial Art
3 Combat Skill Level: +1 with Big Swords
Total Powers & Skills: 128

I think these are right? Also what are we doing for "everyman skills"?

Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Feature – The Glow (Not Concealable, Uncommonly Noticed (noticeable with close examination or in darkness))
5 Hunted: The Church (More Powerful, Infrequently, Watched/Inconvience)
20 Psychological Complication: Charity and Kindness (Common, Total)
10 Psychological Complication: Rage at Cruelty (Uncommon, Strong)
5 Social Complication: Expectations of Aid (Infrequently)

Also hope these are alright. Trying to represent her compulsion to wander around and help people.
Also I'm imagining that the glow is usually fairly faint. Pretty clear in darkness, but in daylight with her armor it's hard to tell what's going on. Plus, plenty of people in Eberron glow for one reason or another.

How many points are we using? I tried to get it down to 175.
Also, how is equipment being handled? Do I need to buy her weapon and armor with points?

e: Wait, the two Auras are Selective, right? Thus the +3/4 cost for 4m?
Also, I'm confused about Unified Power. Shouldn't it be applied to all of them, and also doesn't Inherent sort of negate Unified Power as a disadvantage (if they can't be Drained or Suppressed)?

Last edited by zachol; 28th of July, 2012 at 18:11.
Unread 29th of July, 2012, 04:01
-J-

Hey Zach

Point limit is 215 and 50 in complications

Stats
Break points - the stats that have a roll next to them have break points - sort of a min/max level where you get a tick up on the skill roll. the formula is 9+stat/5 round normally. So ending with a 3, 5, and 8 gets you to the break point. Not that you should try to do that for every stat, but for some its handy.

Stats look good. Str 13 is the min for a broadsword, so you're looking at sword and shield (which can be quite awesome - just watch some of the old trailers for dragonage). If you're looking to use something 2h you'll want to bump your str up to a 16 (great axe) 17 (great sword), 18 (maul). As a big glowing healing target, I'd suggest going with the sword and shield, although a 15 Str will help with encumbrance.

As for ego vs pre, i'd actually switch the two, and then either drop ego to 15 or bump it up to 18. Pre fits better with the glowing avatar, it will help with your skills as Pre is the base for all social skills, it also works well with Pre attacks (think rallying or intimidating people) and defending against Pre attacks.

Stats can go over 20, but the point cost doubles (20 is what is considered "human maxima"). Stats approaching 20 make a character rather heroic. Stats over 20 are the realm of heroes of legend.

Rest of the stats look fine. I'd actually like to see a 6-8 ED to represent you're natural resistance to energy based attacks (based on your planar energy saturation).

I'd also tick up stun a couple of points (depending on what you have left). Con and Stun are sort of the bread and butter stats for melee fighters. Con determines how much stun you can take in one dose before becoming con stunned (also known as monkey fucked as every bad guy with in range will probably start throwing haymakers on your 1/2 DCV butt)

Talents
You'll want to take Turn Undead 12pts and Striking Appearance 3pts per level

Turn Undead is built as:
+60PRE Only to Make Presence Attacks (-1), Only Works Against Undead Creatures (-1), Extra Time-Full Phase (-1/2), Limited Effect (-1), Only When Serving God's (Greater Good's) Purpose (-1/2) 12 pts.

You can also buy an additional +10 PRE for 2 pts. Just like in DnD this can force undead to cower, flee, or destroy.

Deadly Blow is another is another strong choice - akin to your focused light, just more martial. The two levels I'd consider are:

Slayer of the Dead: +1d6 KA vs undead (16 pts)

Sacred Warrior: +1d6 KA vs Evil (19pts)

Some Limitations to lower the cost:
Extra time - phase delay or segment - turns the deadly blow into a supernaturally charged haymaker.
Costs End - Focusing that much energy into a concentrated pulse is taxing
Increased End cost - together with the above gives you a relatively cheap coup de grace that is balanced by it drain on your personal resources (End)
Requires a PRE/EGo roll - a measure of how well you can focus your aura.

Skills
Look good
Unless you're a trained interrogator/torturer I'd drop interrogation. Rely on conversation to get information
KS - Religion You may not worship a particular god, but you were raised in a community that did. It also gives you handy information on other religions and many of the "foes of the church" aka demons, undead, etc.
Drop Common Martial Art weapons from WF - Common melee and missile will cover just about anything that you need.
Your CS is actually broader - +1 with all swords (includes 2h)
If you're thinking of traditional western knight training you'll want to add
KS- heraldry
Riding
WF - Lance
High society (at least 1pt familiarity)
Languages - You start with Galifaran since you're from Breland.

Complications
Distinctive features - Although the glow may be subdued, you exude a continuous 4m zone of positive energy, which sort of superceeds a faint light glow. Not Concealable, Major Reaction - 20 pts

You're hunted should also be bumped up from infrequent to frequent.

Psych complications - Be careful of taking "total" for intensity. It does allow me to force actions with the possibility of an EGO roll. (you should have extra point from your distinctive features to buy that down a tick)

Unified & Inherent
Yes all of your powers should have both. It would seem that they would cancel each other out, and if they are the sole advantage/limitations on a power they will. Mathematically once you start adding multiple advantages/limitations the additive properties of the calculation make it so they really don't directly cancel

Example - 10AP with a 1/2 advantage and inherent (3/4 total) is 10x1.75 = 17.5 AP If you had unified power (1/4) you'd have 17.5/1.25 - 14. This is less than simply canceling the two limitations and taking a straight (1/2) - 10x1.5 = 15.

Really unified power is a boon from the GM indicating that he approves of your overarching design and should thusly receive a bit of a cost break.

I'd also tick up the longevity to Immortal.

Knowing that the healer is going to be a prime target, I'd consider using sword and board, or at least carrying a shield and 1h blade for when the you know what hits the fan.

As to gear - We'll need to flesh exactly what sort of monastery you were at, what sort of training you received etc.
Background complications that I'd like to see you work into your back story - You're monastery should be relatively isolated. There should be a fatherly/matronly figure in your past that sort of looked out for you (I like the idea of a Dame Marshal as leader of the monastery knights) - more than likely the knight you were squired to. Of course there should also be a arch deacon or the like that seemed rather severe and intolerant of your juvenile behavior. The deacon was rather adamant in your staying at the monastery, and was more than likely the driving force in making you want to leave (being stern, overbearing and mostly inflexible). Of course you can expect that your knight saw to helping you escape.
Unread 29th of July, 2012, 08:50
-J-

Also you have a small (2"x2") runic tattoo on the right side of your neck (right below the ear)
Unread 29th of July, 2012, 12:53
-J-

Here's a rough of your guy Tash

Tashs Sorcerer
Attributes
Val Char Pts Roll
10 STR 0 11-
18 DEX 16 13-
13 CON 3 12-
13 INT 3 12-
13 EGO 3 12-
18 PRE 8 13-
5 OCV 10
4 DCV 5
3 OMCV 0
3 DMCV 0
4 SPD 20
3 PD 1
8 ED 6
7 REC 4
24 END 1
13 BODY 3 Total Cost
30 STUN 5 90

Powers
Cost Power/Equipment END
11 Mana Pool: Endurance Reserve 35 END 18 REC Slow Recovery 1 Hour, Requires Rest
15 Grounded Soul: Resistant Protection 15 ED Inherent, Only Works Against Lightning
8 Focused Current: Armor Piercing for up to 75AP of Lightning powers, Reduced Endurance, Extra time: Full Segment, Gestures: Both Hands, Concentration: dcv 1
Sorcerer Abilities
Lightning Sheath: Resistant Defense 2rPD 10rED & 1d6 RKA AOE-Surface, Duration(5 min) 7
Chain Lightning: 2d6 RKA + Linked 1d6+1 RKA AOE-8m radius 4
Charged Leap: +20m Leaping Duration(5min) 2
Shock Bolt: 7d6 EB 1
Lightning Fury: 6d6 EB Autofire (5 Shots) +4 With Lightning Fury 2
Lightning Rift: 1d6 RKA Constant, AOE 4m radius Selective Mobile, No Range, Concentration DCV, Cost END only to activate 7
Jacobs Ladder:Barrier 10 ED 10 Body 6m long 4m tall, Non Anchored, Transparent to physical attacks & 1d6 RKA Constant, AOE Line, Costs Endurance to Activate, Gestures throughout (both hands), Concentrate DCV throughout 10
Gear
Dragon Shard Rod: Endurance for up to 75 AP, OAF : Rod, Requires a Use Magic Device Roll, Delayed Phase
Ring of Elements: Life Support Safe in Intense Heat and Cold, IIF-Ring
Vital Information
HTH Damage: 2d6
Lift: 100kg STR END cost: 2
Phases : 3,6,9,12
Combat Skill Levels: +1 with Sorcery
Presence Attack: 3d6
Normal PD: 6 (8)
Resistant PD: 3(5)
Normal ED: 11 (21)
Special: +15rED v. Electricity
Skills, Perks & Talents
Cost Name Roll
3 Acrobatics 13-
3 Charm 13-
3 Climbing 13/14-
3 Concealment 12/13-
2 AK-Eldeen Reaches 11-
2 KS-Eldeen Reaches 11-
2 Language-Orcish (Fluent)
2 Navigation (Land) 12/13-
3 Stealth 13/14-
4 Survival (Temperate) 13/14-
3 Tracking 12/13-
3 Use Magical Device 12-
4 WF:Common Melee & Missile Weapons
4 Outdoorsman +1 Outdoors skills
5 Force of Will +1 w/Sorcery
2 Favor:Eldeen Druid Council (x2)
Sorcerous Abilities
6 Lightning Sheath
6 Chain Lightning
2 Charged Leap
4 Shock Bolt
7 Lightning Fury
6 Lightning Rift
6 Jacobs Ladder
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Complications
Cost Complication
5 Distinctive Features : Runic Tattoo below right ear
Unread 29th of July, 2012, 15:57
-J-

And one for gral, sans fancy formatting because its freaking late

Val Char Cost Roll Notes
10....STR...0......11-...Lift 100.0kg; 2d6
18....DEX..16.....13-...OCV: 5/DCV: 5
13....CON..3......12-
11....BODY.1
13....INT....3......12-...PER Roll 13-
18....EGO..5......13-...ECV: 3 - 3
13....PRE...0......12-...PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6

5/10 PD 3......Total: 5/10 PD (0/5 rPD)
4/9...ED 2......Total: 4/9 ED (0/5 rED)
3......SPD 10....Phases: 4, 8, 12
8......REC 4
30....END 2
30....STUN 5 Total Characteristic Cost: 74

Movement:
Running: 12m/24m
Leaping: 4m/8m
Swimming: 4m/8m

Cost Powers END
Kalashtar Package
3 +3 EGO
3 +3 PRE
1 Dreamless: Sleeps but doesn't dream
5 Mental Defense (5 points total)
8 Mind Link , Any Willing Target (15 Active Points); Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 1
9 Psionic Points: Endurance Reserve (30 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (16 Active Points); REC: (8 Active Points); Slow Recovery 20 Minutes (-3), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), Personal REC (-1/2)

Martial Arts: Facing the Shadow
Maneuver OCV DCV Notes
4 Martial Block +2 +2 Block, Abort
4 Martial Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Martial Escape +0 +0 30 STR vs. Grabs
5 Offensive Strike -2 +1 7d6 Strike
3 Martial Throw +0 +1 3d6 +v/10, Target Falls
4 Martial Strike +0 +2 5d6 Strike
4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)
1 Weapon Element: Chain & Rope Weapons

Talents
1 Psychokinesis: Breath of Heaven
5 Psychokinesis: Kick Without a Shadow
3 Psychokinesis: Kinetic Sheath
5 Psychokinesis: Psionic Lash
2 Psychometabolism: Dancing on Clouds
3 Psychometabolism: Healing Trance
1 Psychometabolism: Lizard Technique
2 Psychometabolism: Mountain's Heart
2 Clairsentience: Touching Still Waters
1 Clairsentience: Fish Gliding Through Water

Skills
3 Acrobatics 13-
3 Breakfall 13-
3 Climbing 13-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Contortionist 13-
2 AK: Sharn 11-
2 CK: Sharn 11-
0 Language: Sarlonic (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
2 Language: Galifaran (fluent conversation)
3 Lockpicking 13-
0 Paramedics 8-
3 Focus: Psychokinesis 13-
3 Focus: Psychometabolism 13-
3 Focus: Clairsentience 13-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 12-
2 Survival (Urban) 12-
3 Teamwork 13-
6 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
9 +3 with Psionic Focus rolls

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 141
Total Cost: 215

215+ Disadvantages
10 Negative Reputation: Student of Fallen Kalashtar Master, Frequently (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

Total Disadvantage Points: 215

Powers Description

Psychokinetic Manifestations

Kick Without a Shadow: Blast 6d6, Area Of Effect (8m Line; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (45 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Psychokinesis; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) PP:2 Skill Roll: -4

Breath of Heaven: Telekinesis (10 STR) (15 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Psychokinesis; -1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2) PP:1 Skill Roll: -1

Kinetic Sheath: Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED), Time Limit (20 Minutes, +20 Minutes per point the Skill Roll succeeds by; +1) (30 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Psychokinesis; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) PP:3 Skill Roll: -3

Psychic Lash: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points); all slots Requires A Roll (Psychokinesis; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) PP: 4Skill Roll: -4
1) Grab: Stretching 6m, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Psychokinesis; -1/2), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Always Direct (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)
plus+20 STR, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (25 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Psychokinesis; -1/2), Only for grabs/throws (-1/4)

2) Lash: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Penetrating (+1/2), Constant (+1/2) (37 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Psychokinesis; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Limited Range (6m; -1/4) 3

Psychometabolic Manifestations

Healing Trance: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Regeneration (1 BODY per Minute), Can Heal Limbs (19 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), Requires A Roll (Psychometabolism; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Side Effects (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5)
- plusSevere Transform 1 point (Diseased/Poisoned Body into Healthy), Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), Constant (+1/2) (9 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), Requires A Roll (Psychometabolism; -1/2) (Real Cost: 3)
-plus Healing 1d6, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), Characteristics (+1/2), Constant (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), Requires A Roll (Psychometabolism; -1/2) (Real Cost: 7) Skill Roll: -5 PP:5

Mountain's Heart: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Extended Breathing: 1 END per 5 Minutes; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week), Time Limit (6 Hours, +1 Hour per point the Skill Roll succeeds by; +1 1/2) (22 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) Skill Roll: -2 PP:2

Dancing on Clouds: Leaping 20m, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Psychometabolism; -1/2) Skill Roll: -1 PP:1

Lizard Technique: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Psychometabolism; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4) Skill Roll: -1 PP:1

Clairsentience Manifestations

Fish Gliding Through Water: Defense Maneuver I-IV (10 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Clairsentience; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) Skill Roll:-1 PP:1

Touching Still Waters: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups), Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (62 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Only Through The Senses Of Others (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (-1/2), Blackout (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Clairsentience, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4) Skill Roll: -3 PP:5

Equipment

Ring of the Cat: (Total: 28 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) Nightvision (5 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus +1 PER with all Sense Groups (3 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Luck 4d6 (20 Active Points); 9 Charges which Never Recover (-2 1/4), No Conscious Control (-2), IIF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) [9 nr]
Unread 29th of July, 2012, 16:39
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

So are the auras Obvious? Could I make them Inobvious to sight (+1/4) and Obvious to touch? You can feel what's happening when you get in range, but from a distance it's hard to tell what's going on if it's light out. People in combat (and the undead) figure it out immediately.
She's not "really" a knight. I'm still working out exactly what her life was like, but her job was to hang out at the monastery and smack things that threaten it (I think it was located close to Droaam, in the mountains). So not the riding and heraldry. KS Religion should definitely go in there, though.

Also, a very large sword ("Defensive Wide Sword"):
HKA 1d6 (25 pts); Increased STUN Multiplier +1 (+1/4) Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (44 active points); Focus (OAF; -1), STR Min 18 (-3/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (14 real points)
DCV +3 (15 pts) (15 pts); Focus (OAF; -1), STR Min 18 (-3/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (5 real points)
You need to use both hands, but I didn't apply the 2h limitation to the sword, because it seems like the point of that is to make it so you can't use a shield as well (so it's not really a limitation). However, the whole thing is just one big dull sword that's really good at blocking but not very damaging. Each "half" seems reasonable on its own, sort of?

Armor (plate and chain):
Resistant Protection 7 (21 pts); (Focus (OIF; -1/2), Real Armor (-1/4), Mass (28 kg) (Normal; -1) (8 real points)

Smite (positively charged strike):
Deadly Blow +1d6 vs Undead (16 pts); Costs END (-1/2), Triple END (10 total?) (-1), Extra Time (next phase; -1/2) (5 real points)
Although that doesn't seem much better than just using a Haymaker. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how Haymaker works. It should count as "holy" damage (I'm assuming undead would have some sort of weakness or something to that, the same way she has a weakness to "unholy" damage). Would that adjust the cost?

At the moment I've got:

Liss
Val Char Cost roll notes
18 STR 8 13- Lift 300kg 3d6
11 DEX 2 11- OCV 3 DCV 3
15 CON 5 12-
14 BODY 4
10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-
18 EGO 8 13- ECV 3 DECV 4 (3 pts)
20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6
(+2d6 Striking Appearance)
5 PD 3 12PD (7rPD armor)
8 ED 6 15ED (7rED armor)
2 SPD 0 Phases: 6,12
9 REC 5
35 END 3
32 STUN 6 Total: 63
Movement
Running 12m/24m
Leaping 4m/8m
Powers
Cost Powers
34 Font of Light: Regeneration (1 BODY per Turn), Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Inherent (+1/4) (51 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy Damage; -1/4) (34 points)
9 Aura of Purification: Severe Transform 1 point (Poisoned or diseased body into a healthy body), Persistent (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +3/4), Mobile (1m per Phase; +1/2), Inobvious (sight; +1/4) (21 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) (9 points)
38 Aura of Healing: General Healing 2d6, Persistent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +3/4), Mobile (1m per Phase; +1/2), Inovbious (sight; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy; -1/4) (38 points)
16 Focused Light: General Healing 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Characteristics (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4), Does Not Work On Some Damage (Unholy; -1/4) (16 points)
5 Smite (positively charged strike): Deadly Blow +1d6 vs Undead (16 pts); Costs END (-1/2), Triple END (5 total?) (-1), Extra Time (next phase; -1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) (5 real points)
11 Turn Undead: +60 PRE; Only to Make Presence Attacks (-1), Only Works Against Undead Creatures (-1), Extra Time-Full Phase (-1/2), Limited Effect (-1), Only When Serving Greater Good's Purpose (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) (11 points)
6 Sustaining Force: Life Support, Diminished Eating (1 point), Diminished Sleep (1 point), Longevity (5 points) (7 active pts); Unified Power (-1/4) (6 points)
Talents
6 Striking Appearance (attractive) +2, 2d6
Skills
1 Area Knowledge: Five Nations 8-
3 Charm 15-
3 Conversation 15-
3 Persuasion 15-
2 Knowledge Skill (Religion) 11-
4 Survival (Mountains and Temperate/Subtropical) 11-
4 Weapon Familiarity: Common Melee, Common Missile
5 Combat Skill Level: +1 with Swords
2 Combat Skill Level: +1 with her Defensive Wide Sword
Total Powers & Skills: 152
Disadvantages
15 Distinctive Feature: The Glow (Not Concealable)
10 Hunted: The Church (More Powerful, Frequently, Watched/Inconvience)
15 Psychological Complication: Charity and Kindness (Common, Strong)
5 Psychological Complication: Rage at Cruelty (Uncommon, Moderate)
5 Social Complication: Expectations of Aid (Infrequently)

The visibility of the glow ranges from hard to detect (daylight and from a distance, such as across the street) up to easy to detect (at night or close by) and to obvious and extreme (if you're an undead, have magical sight, etc). It's a thin glowing aura, with occasional motes of light.
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 02:22
-J-

Auras - I like keeping a visible aspect to the auras, much like you described towards the bottom of your post - can't really see it during the day, more visible at night, armor tends to mute it, etc.

If you're in the mountains then try climbing in lieu of riding.

Don't worry about making up your gear on hero rules - there are lists of standard weapons and armor.

For big swords you have the Great sword (2d6KA +1 OCV str min17) or the bastard Sword (1 1/2d6 KA str min 13). The advantage of the bastard sword is that you're strong enough to use it 1h (+2 Str min) and if you use it 2h you're 5 over the str min so you can add +1DC (making its damage 2d6KA also).

Same holds true for the armor - As normal equipment you don't spend points for it. The PD/ED 7 (Double maille through field plate) while nice in terms of protection, is rather distinctive and heavy. If you're looking to stand out less something more akin to brigadine (although it should be PD/ED 5 not 4) would be more appropriate (and lighter).

While we're on the subject lets touch on encumbrance. I use the optional rules for encumbrance that use a character's casual str to calculate how much stuff they can carry (casual STR is the STR that you can use as a 0 phase action, and is equal to 1/2 your strength). So with a 18 STR you have a 9 casual strength (gives you a lift of 87.1kg).

Encumbrance rules are based on this casual STR lift and are as follows
0-10% (0-8.7kg) = no penalty
11-24% (8.8-20.9kg) = -1 DCV/Dex rolls
25=49% (21.0-42.7kg) = -2 DCV/Dex rolls -2m movement 1 END/turn
50-74% (42.8-64.5kg) = -3 DCV/Dex rolls -4m Movement 2 END/turn
75-89% (64.6-77.5kg) = -4 DCV/Dex rolls -8m Movement 3 END/turn
90-100% (77.6-87.1kg) = -5 DCV/Dex rolls -16m movement 4 END/turn

The DCV/Dex roll penalties can be bought down with Penalty Skill levels (at 2pts per level), The movement penalties with extra inches of movement and a (-1) limitation "Only to counteract movement penalties"

These are the sorts of things that are part of non warforged soldier training, especially if you're from a full plate western knight tradition. Mountain fortress might trend more towards maneuverability, with large shields to make up the difference, but then again the super heavy armors were more for the elite than the rank and file anyway.

Deadly Blow- The extra time is completely optional and can be dropped if you like. The main difference between deadly blow and haymaker is that haymaker has some hefty penalties to DCV (which is why it usually is only used on con stunned, or unaware targets). Deadly blow suffers non of these penalties. Additionally, as you pointed out, the damage would be considered holy (there is no modification for this as it is simply a special effect of the power). Many naughty creatures buy defenses/powers that don't work against holy damage (kind of like your regeneration that doesn't work against unholy).
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 03:11
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

It's purely a style thing, but I'd rather not have a shield. The idea is that her fighting style focuses extensively on deflecting and blocking blows with her sword. I was trying to go for something stat-wise that would be similar to having a bastard sword and a shield.
For the armor, I'm imagining something like fairly flexible chainmail, with armored plates over the vitals and shoulders. Assuming I stick with the 18 STR, it seems like even if I went to 5 (14kg armor), the other 7kg would add up somehow, from her weapon and other stuff, and I'd be stuck in the 25-49 band. Might as well go with the heavier armor.
Each 2m of running with the limitation would be 2/2=1 point. So 2, 5, 8, 12, 18? 5 points of "encumbrance training" would (probably?) negate any penalties I'd have for the 28kg armor and the weapon, except the END.
So I'd need to free up 8 points, for that and the Climb. Hrm.
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 04:37
-J-

Fighting style would be covered under combat skill levels - Say +1 with swords (5pts) only for DCV (-1) making it 2.5 pts/level (2 for a +1, 5 for a +2, etc).

Yep 5 points would cover the 2 penalty skill levels and 2m of of extra movement. The 1 END/turn figures into things like long term endurance loss (why people don't like running around in armor all day, everyday).
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 04:40
-J-

And Paco I forgot the most important disad for the warforged -

Forged Body: Doesn't Heal Very Frequent, Greatly Impairing (25)

So we can loose a bunch of the other ones (make them more roleplaying flavor)
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 06:07
-J-

nice job on your sheet Erik!
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 06:58
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
I'm considering a lightning-themed sorcerer. A few thoughts:
  • race: air genasi with an unusually strong 'stormy heritage' (J, you said something about blood of the blue dragon - could we take that as a guideline for the genasi? I'm not entirely set on them though. They're not Eberron, so I could switch to something else entirely as well.)
  • sub-themes: quick as lightning, shocking touch, there one moment, gone the next
  • effects: visible electric arcs, sizzling sounds, burning smells - when 'active'
  • D&D spell effects I'm thinking of that maybe can be adapted in some way: flight, blur, blink, lightning bolt, shocking grasp (thinking 5th - 8th level as you suggested J)
I've read the rules stuff but I'm quite a way off to understanding how things work, I think. Several things are floating around in my hand backstory-wise, but so far it doesn't quite form a coherent picture. I'm still far away from an exciting character to play. But this is what I've got from reading stuff and thinking about it on the train.
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 09:53
-J-

Look up to post #35 - I had whipped an rough draft of a sorcerer type character.

Or I'll just put it down here

Tash’s Sorcerer
Attributes
Val Char Pts Roll
10 STR 0 11-
18 DEX 16 13-
13 CON 3 12-
13 INT 3 12-
13 EGO 3 12-
18 PRE 8 13-
5 OCV 10
4 DCV 5
3 OMCV 0
3 DMCV 0
4 SPD 20
3 PD 1
8 ED 6
7 REC 4
24 END 1
13 BODY 3 Total Cost
30 STUN 5 90

Powers
Cost Power/Equipment END
11 Mana Pool: Endurance Reserve 35 END 18 REC Slow Recovery 1 Hour, Requires Rest
15 Grounded Soul: Resistant Protection 15 ED Inherent, Only Works Against Lightning
8 Focused Current: Armor Piercing for up to 75AP of Lightning powers, Reduced Endurance, Extra time: Full Segment, Gestures: Both Hands, Concentration: dcv 1
Sorcerer Abilities
Lightning Sheath: Resistant Defense 2rPD 10rED & 1d6 RKA AOE-Surface, Duration(5 min) 7
Chain Lightning: 2d6 RKA + Linked 1d6+1 RKA AOE-8m radius 4
Charged Leap: +20m Leaping Duration(5min) 2
Shock Bolt: 7d6 EB 1
Lightning Fury: 6d6 EB Autofire (5 Shots) +4 With Lightning Fury 2
Lightning Rift: 1d6 RKA Constant, AOE 4m radius Selective Mobile, No Range, Concentration DCV, Cost END only to activate 7
Jacob’s Ladder:Barrier 10 ED 10 Body 6m long 4m tall, Non Anchored, Transparent to physical attacks & 1d6 RKA Constant, AOE Line, Costs Endurance to Activate, Gestures throughout (both hands), Concentrate DCV throughout 10
Gear
Dragon Shard Rod: Endurance for up to 75 AP, OAF : Rod, Requires a Use Magic Device Roll, Delayed Phase
Ring of Elements: Life Support – Safe in Intense Heat and Cold, IIF-Ring
Vital Information
HTH Damage: 2d6
Lift: 100kg STR END cost: 2
Phases : 3,6,9,12
Combat Skill Levels: +1 with Sorcery
Presence Attack: 3d6
Normal PD: 6 (8)
Resistant PD: 3(5)
Normal ED: 11 (21)
Special: +15rED v. Electricity
Skills, Perks & Talents
Cost Name Roll
3 Acrobatics 13-
3 Charm 13-
3 Climbing 13/14-
3 Concealment 12/13-
2 AK-Eldeen Reaches 11-
2 KS-Eldeen Reaches 11-
2 Language-Orcish (Fluent)
2 Navigation (Land) 12/13-
3 Stealth 13/14-
4 Survival (Temperate) 13/14-
3 Tracking 12/13-
3 Use Magical Device 12-
4 WF:Common Melee & Missile Weapons
4 Outdoorsman +1 Outdoors skills
5 Force of Will +1 w/Sorcery
2 Favor:Eldeen Druid Council (x2)
Sorcerous Abilities
6 Lightning Sheath
6 Chain Lightning
2 Charged Leap
4 Shock Bolt
7 Lightning Fury
6 Lightning Rift
6 Jacob’s Ladder
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Complications
Cost Complication
5 Distinctive Features : Runic Tattoo below right ear

Really the only things that I sort of "locked into" the character were where you are/were from (Eldeen Reaches), your father was a well respected druid and consequently so are you (those are the favors). The only other thing is a runic tattoo that you've always had below your right ear.

Really the whole Eldeen Reaches thing is so not set in stone. It would be easier for my plotting that you grew up somewhere sort of isolated (it also helps explain the outdoorsy skills).

Stats
Average build, with good endurance/constitution (from all that running in the woods and stuff). Your best stats are your dexterity, presence, and speed. A high presence is common in sorcerers as it seems to be linked to their magical blood line. Your speed is phenomenally high, few can match you without magic. This, and your dex, would fit with your air genasi idea. You are infused with elemental air energy, quick, fluid motions, an almost hyperactivity.

Powers
You have your mana pool - these are the points you use when casting your spells. The recovery on the mana pool allows you to fully recharge after about 2 hours of rest.

Grounded Soul - You're highly resistant to lightning/electricity damage

Focused current - Is a "naked advantage" meaning that it exists outside of a normal power but can be used on a power. Basically what it does is for any power 75 Active points or lower, you can spend an extra point of mana, focus for a phase and then use both your arms to channel and get the Armor Piercing advantage applied to that power (target only gets 1/2 their ED - unless its hardened).

Lightning Sheath - you infuse yourself with lightning gaining a little bit of armor (a little PD but lots of ED). You also get a 1d6 killing attack damage shield , basically anytime you touch something or are touched by something they take 1d6 killing damage. This infusion last for 5 minutes before you have to pump more mana into it.

Chain Lightning - You shoot a 2d6 killing attack at a target and then everything with in 8m of that target takes 1d6+1 killing from arcing electricity (including the primary target).

Charged Leap - Infusing yourself with elemental air you can super leap (+20m forward, +10m up) This infusion also last 5 minutes.

Lightning Fury - You shoot 5 rapid bolts of lightning that do normal damage. The power includes a +4 to hit, but it costs 2 end per shot (10 for a full burst)

Lightning Rift - You basically channel raw elemental air energies through your body creating a 4m zone around you that everyone moving into or standing in takes 1 1/2 d6 killing per segment. Luckily its selective, which means you can choose not to target allies (although they don't have to know this if they owe you money or something). The rift cost 7 mana to start and then you have to concentrate to maintain it. Once you stop concentrating, the rift closes.

Jacob's Ladder - You create a field up to 6m long and 4m high of dancing electricity. The field is like a wall, but doesn't have to be anchored to a solid object. If you wrap it so the ends touch you are considered englobed ( you could also wrap it around someone, englobing them). The wall is transparent to physical effects (you can walk through it, missiles can move through it, etc. The field does stop energy attacks 10rED with 10 body. Anything touching the field, or moving through the field takes 1d6 killing every segment that it stays in contact with the field. The field requires you to both concentrate throughout the duration of the field, and focus it with both your hands.

I'll be giving everyone some sort of minor magical item or items - yours I built a dragonshard rod that if you focus one of your powers (up to 75 active points) through it is cost you less endurance. Using the rod delays the power to the end of the phase.

You also have a ring of elements that protects you from extreme heat and cold as long as you wear it.
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 10:00
-J-

Forgot to touch on shock bolt - Its sort of your bread and butter attack. A 7d6 normal damage energy blast that's low in End, but still fairly damaging (Figure average around 21 stun and 7 body). It also has a bonus effect of actually doing knock back.

Look back through my posts - I have one where i explain the difference between normal damage and killing damamge.
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 16:12
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Wow, thanks for the input, J. I've got a busy week ahead of me (with a friend from Switzerland visiting on top), but I'll have a closer look these days and get back to you with my thoughts (and questions).
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 23:43
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
I have a psionic ninja!
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 23:52
-J-

ayup
Unread 30th of July, 2012, 23:54
-J-

I think that once we get tash and Zach squared away we'll be ready to kick this pig
Unread 31st of July, 2012, 00:03
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
I'm in a meeting for the next two hours but I should be in chat in the afternoon J, so I'll pick your brain a little about the sheet then if you are around.