Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > The Pathfinder Society

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 6th of September, 2011, 14:44
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.73 per day)
Chronicle #1: Decline of Glory

The rain fell for two days straight before it let up, finally giving the Pathfinders the chance to wring out their soaked clothes. But it barely made the swamp more comfortable. The sky was still overcast from one horizon to the other, while the air felt even more cold and sour.

Of course, Osprey said the region was pleasant. "It's wine country, you know. Taldan heartlands." But as usual, his words were misleading. The coast was pleasant; the mires surrounding the Railford Distillery were not.

"This mission is easy," he said. "Once you're in Railford, all you need to do is find the son of Iodon Railford and convince him to let the Pathfinders use part of his distillery as a lodge. We have finances, we can protect him, and if nothing else, we can help him honor the work of his father, who, after all, was one of us."

The path to Railford was hardly an easy one to follow. There was no road, only crudely scarred trees winding through a syrupy mire of flooded vineyards. The region was wine country, once; before the Grand Prince ordered the Jalrune River dammed and redirected, the land around the hamlet of Railford was reknowned for its terroir. But now, all that remained was the odd rotten trellis, its grapevines choked out by a heavy blanket of peat and briars. In the strange, twisting shadows of lantern light, they seemed almost like low, crawling swamp creatures, cursed by the sad decline of the nation itself.

Chronicle #1: Decline of Glory

[OOC: This is your chance to introduce your characters, add some colour to the scene, and review your faction missions. This is also Lune and Marcus's chance to fix the issues with their sheets. I'll continue in a few days.]

Last edited by LeadPal; 2nd of October, 2011 at 20:18.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 6th of September, 2011, 15:52
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Matias was feeling sick. Much sicker than normal. Movement was not his strong suit, and the rain was wreaking havoc on his bandages. His life was a slow, constant wheeze, a haze of pain that was usually much more dull.
Also he didn't have any food left. He was used to begging, but not from his own companions. He'd somehow caught that rabit, and cleansed it (how do you light a fire with rotting wood and damp rags?), but... well.
At least it was cold. His coat kept out the wind, and he couldn't imagine having to do this in a jungle.

He smirked a little, from behind his mask. The city was positively paradise compared to out here. He could understood why so many flocked to the cities now... while perhaps they lived in filth, they were at least alive. His patients all would've been dead much earlier out here.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 6th of September, 2011, 22:13
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
Kamh weathered the swamp and the damp like he handled everything--in near silence. He didn't trust himself to voice opinions, fearful that he'd say the wrong thing, as he usually did when he chose to speak. It's not that he didn't understand that people chose to speak untruths to keep a general peace, but that he was simply unable to follow suit. Besides, even being stuck in a cold swamp was more comfortable than his parents would ever be again. He had no real right to complain, and did not do so.

Kamh could sense the unease with the tall, thin, ragged man, but he seemed as unwilling as Kamh to share it with the others. That little smirk was strange. Kamh wondered what the man could be thinking about that might allow him some perverse sort of pleasure out here. He did not appear to be the type of man who relished the outdoors, so that could not be it. Kamh dropped his gaze and settled in to meditate, one of the few mental tasks that he could still manage in spite of his damaged brain.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 6th of September, 2011, 22:26
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.38 per day)
Rain... I'll miss the purity of it for now. They say rain is the goddess' way of forgiving, of washing away the sins that corrupt the land. I don't believe it for a second, but it was nice while it lasted I suppose. At least while it was raining, the smell was washed away.

Despite the dampness, Kylihn seemed almost untouched by it. While her clothes were just as wet as everyone else, the water didn't want to stick to her, and she made her way through the wilderness with ease.

Looking to the sky briefly to attempt to get a glimpse of the sun, her nose sharply wrinkled up in thought. A brief, silent pause, and she silently continued forward, lowering her damp hood from her head, and peering into the misty haze around her.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 6th of September, 2011, 23:14
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.74 per day)
"Taldor, eh?" Padryc said with a laugh. "Now I remember why I left in the first place." He opened his flask and tipped it back, grimacing when nothing was forth coming. "If nothing else, there should be a tavern around here." He jingled his coin purse, frowning at the paltry sound it made. "There is a tavern right?"

"There had better be a tavern."

Last edited by Darius; 7th of September, 2011 at 00:13.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 7th of September, 2011, 03:05
Tashalar's Avatar
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1799
Location: Castle Korvosa
Posts: 5,971 (1.43 per day)
Trerac nodded in agreement when they got their assignment. It was simple enough, but the man knew that seemingly simple assignments could end up being a huge chore. And no one had told them that the weather and the roads would be this bad. No one.

The huge man trudged along noisily. Every step sent mud flying left and right - he didn't care what or whom it hit. Not that it would matter as everyone got their share of the cold, the wetness, the muck. "You won't find any taverns around here," Trerac guessed aloud. "Not with our luck. And... I mean... taverns need customers, don't they? Who'd come here in the first place?" He shook his head in digust. His wet dark blond hair flew about his head as he did so. "Bah!" Trerac gave his head a few shakes and then smoothed his hair back.

Trerac realized he was in a foul mood. That happened rather often of late. At this point it was the weather and... yes, he was bored. His gaze traveled from one of his companions to the next and finally rested on the masked shadow of a man. He quickened his steps and slapped him solidly on the back. "Hey there, didn't think you'd manage to keep up this long, hm?"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 7th of September, 2011, 16:46
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
The Surgeon staggered forward, nearly falling, and broke into a fit of coughing. After what felt like forever, he managed to catch his breath.
"Hhccrrk... cah, hahh... I was... hhh... I did not anticipate... quite so long a journey... as this."
The mask moved a little, as if he was glancing at the barbarian. "I will be... hhhhhkk, quite glad, when it is over."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 7th of September, 2011, 17:02
Lune's Avatar
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1510
Location: Missagain
Posts: 2,058 (0.46 per day)
Before this adventure most of his companions likely never laid eyes on a dwarf like Gavel. Even as they trudged through the countryside his anachronism became more apparent. Most others held their heads low or ducked under a cloak's hood while for Gavel this all seemed to be refreshing. We walked often with his face into the rain and sometimes held his hands out to his sides to catch the feeling of the water hitting them. The large wooden shield he held on one arm seemed to fit his body as any appendage would. One of the oddest things about the dwarf was the brown floppy leather hat ... that currently decorated his back as it was not being worn.

Aside from his strange actions he also didn't look the part of a normal dwarf. Not a spot of metal decorated this stout man. His brown hair was pulled into a braid and tied behind his head and his beard was pulled into three light braids ending in a string of crystalline beads and green wax. His armor was a greenish tinge of brown which he wore open with nothing covering it aside from a thick leather throng worn over his shoulder with dwarven ruins down the length of it denoting his family linage, clan, house and faction. He also did have a short green cloak with a large Grand Lodge clasp. Gavel's was shorter and wider than the average dwarf and also thinner in the waste. His broad shoulders seemed to form a half circle with his arms hanging to the ground. The weather, conditions and mood of the trek didn't seem to slow him one bit.

Gavel's traveling companion was an anachronism in itself. Most hadn't seen such a creature before and the thing strongly resembled a walking shield with a warhammer for a tail matching the one Gavel carried at his back. As they walked the thing would infrequently begin to play in the mud resembling a dog having fun and rolling about. When Gavel would call it he alternated between Common and Dwarven and spoke it's name: Tank. The name seemed infinitely appropriate. And the companion seemed more befitting to Gavel than any other creature that could be imagined. Many anecdotes have been made about an owner resembling their pet and no more has a parable been more accurate than here. In a word the both seemed very... durable.

At present the dwarf was inspecting the varied grape vines and picking a handful of the berries to put in a pocket but not before enchanting the fruit. Only after having been in the rain for hours did the dwarf finally seem to be starting to sour on it. He disproved this with some of the only words he has spoke to the party since they started, "It do be aboot time ta stop fer a drink noo aintit?" The stout man's voice was impossibly low pitched and gravely but friendly and while he spoke he moved to the cask mounted on the back of his traveling companion as if he were about to start sharing it on the spot.

OOC: Cast Goodberry on the berries he has picked. 8 Also is a general Knowledge (nature) check due for the area we are traversing?
__________________
"Plus, you know, robots. Pew-pew." - Benicus

Last edited by Lune; 7th of September, 2011 at 17:05.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 7th of September, 2011, 20:17
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.73 per day)
The closer the Pathfinders came to Railford, the more difficult the marked route became. It cut across knee-deep, leech-infested water constantly, here and there deepening almost to Gavel's head. Detouring around the deepest bogs wasn't easy, as whether they avoided the water or not, their boots were constantly entombed in thick clay soil.

Near the end of the journey, the rain began to pick back up. It was only a drizzle, but with the sun so deep behind the clouds, it left the swamp as dark as night. Padryc briefly stopped to prepare a light, but not with his lamp; instead, he picked out the withered husk of a firefly from a waterproof belt pouch, closed his hand, and hummed a low, exact note. When he reopened it, the firefly was gone, and his signet ring was glowing as brightly as a torch.

Unfortunately, stopping to cast a spell gave one of his feet the chance to sink into a slough. When Padryc tried to step forward, the foot caught in the mud, almost pulling his boot right off. Most of his companions turned back to help pull him out of it.

One of them, however, pushed ahead a few steps. Something peculiar had caught Kylihn's attention, something that escaped the dull senses of her human companions: a hint of harsh smoke in the air, and the light of a dying flame somewhere in the misty rain. Matias wasn't the only one who had trouble starting a fire here.

[OOC: The light is probably less than a hundred feet away, but it's difficult to tell. The rain gives a -2 to perception and ranged weapon attacks, has a 50% chance of dousing unprotected flames, and makes it dark enough to give everything beyond your light concealment. The mud is difficult terrain, and it's everywhere.]

Last edited by LeadPal; 7th of September, 2011 at 20:25.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 7th of September, 2011, 22:09
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.38 per day)
Kylihn focuses briefly on the flame, then dashes off into the mist towards it, stepping lightly and carefully. Slowed by the mud, she nevertheless somehow manages to avoid ever getting mud on her clothes, as if she were made for this weather. As she is moving, she draws her bow, and looks back at the rest of the Pathfinders, nodding briefly.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 7th of September, 2011, 22:45
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
Kamh noted Kylihn's nod and straightened up. He left his kama in its sheath for now, but drew up two shuriken as he moved forward towards Kylihn's position. While he moved, he tried to see what the elf had seen to set her on edge.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 7th of September, 2011, 22:55
Marcus316's Avatar
Marcus316
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Member: #9532
Location: Canada
Posts: 353 (0.15 per day)
It had been a long journey, but despite the rain and the muck Umuriel was in decent spirits. He was quite wet from the rain, but he'd been in worse shape in the past and gotten through it. Up until now, the weather was the worst of the journey, and Umuriel counted his blessings on that.

As he helped Padryc unstick himself, he realized that his fellow Elf had moved away, and saw that Kamh had tensed slightly and was moving to follow.

What do we have here? Has trouble finally found us? Nothing is ever easy ...

Umuriel moves himself over to join his readied comrades, easing his Morningstar out of his belt loop. He could not yet see what had alerted his companions, but he stood ready to defend them should the need arise.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 00:29
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.74 per day)
"Ugh!" Padryc grunted as his boot squelched unwholesomely. He slogged after the others, his right hand on the hilt of his rapier, his left outstretched and up to provide illumination.

It wasn't lost on the magus that his ring could be a beacon to those with malicious intentions, but it was better than stumbling around in the dark. He held back slightly, willing to let others take the lead in front of him.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 02:40
Tashalar's Avatar
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1799
Location: Castle Korvosa
Posts: 5,971 (1.43 per day)
Trerac nodded at Padryc when the man provided lighting. Sure, the elves were able to see in anything but darkness, but he liked to swing his axe at a target he could see.

When the others suddenly moved out, the big man's brows furrowed. "What..." he started out then fell silent. He looked sideways at Padryc and indicated moving forward. Instead of waiting, he stepped half in front of the man as if to shield him as he drew a javelin. Slowly he followed the others.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 06:02
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Matias grumbled under his breath. On one hand, somthing was happening to break up the monotony, but... well, he had been hoping that would be an inn. Wih beds. Not... whatever was going on now.
He followed the rest, bringing up the rear.
__________________
Sleepy cat is sleepy.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 15:32
Lune's Avatar
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1510
Location: Missagain
Posts: 2,058 (0.46 per day)
Gavel grumbled as soon as the light spell was cast. He groaned and started to move away with Tank in tow but was interrupted when he noticed Kylihn moving away. Tank was distracted, likely eating some truffles and Gavel had to smack him rather hard to get it's attention. It wasn't a harsh smack, its just that less force likely wouldn't have been felt beneath the beast's armor. "Tank, fer godsake c'mon ya silly thing."

The dwarf attempted to move forward to get to the front of the party while trying to stay as far away from the light as possible. His action was likely futile with his slow speed but he knew his place if battle were to be present and he didn't like the light which messed with his darkvision.
__________________
"Plus, you know, robots. Pew-pew." - Benicus
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 15:38
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.73 per day)
As they came closer, they saw the silhouettes of two men behind the wall of rain, with a popping, sputtering campfire between them. Each one had a hulking mastiff leashed by his side, both growling to alert their masters.

The shorter of the two men started from his crouch the moment he saw Trerac. "Shit! They got weapons!" Without hesitating, both men let loose the dogs, and fired their first volley of arrows.
__________________
There's dim light in the first layer of darkness, or normal light for those with low-light vision. Everything beyond that is dim light for everyone.

All squares everywhere are difficult terrain. The blue water and the dark green undergrowth at the bottom is extra difficult terrain, costing 4 squares to move into. You can get cover from the water and 30% concealment from the undergrowth.


No one rolls perception high enough to make out any identifying details on the men at this distance.


Round One

Men shoot at Trerac and Kylihn, and both hit. Trerac takes 8 damage, and Kylihn takes 7 damage.

Initiative

Men - 23
Kylihn - 21
Trerac - 19
Umuriel - 18
Gavel - 16
Padryc - 13
Kamh - 9
Surgeon - 8
Dogs - 4

Last edited by LeadPal; 9th of September, 2011 at 16:06.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 15:40
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.73 per day)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 16:04
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Instantly, the Surgeon cried out, in a surprisingly loud voice. "Hold, hold! Lower your weapons!"
He stifled a cough. This was important. "Hold off! We are Pathfinders, we are here to meet with the son of Railford! We mean no harm!"

[Talking is a free action. Uh... charisma check 23 ? Neither Intimidate nor Diplomacy seem appropriate.]
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 21:44
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
Kamh followed the Surgeon's lead. He stopped moving, slipped his shuriken back into their pouches and raised his empty arms wide, indicating that he was now currently unarmed and unthreatening, but he left the talking to others.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 22:24
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.38 per day)
After being shot, Kylihn immediately looses an arrow at them, no longer curious and merely angry. Her response is quick and swift, her movement smooth, despite the arrow piercing her. She then quickly falls back behind her group mates, seeking cover, even soft cover.

<OOC: Attack man in space AC 18 with longbow, to hit: 12 including -2 due to rain for ranged attacks, damage on hit: 5 confirmation roll if needed: 19 . Then fall back to S15, taking soft cover behind allies.>
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 8th of September, 2011, 22:28
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
"No, no! Stop! All of you! Gods damn it..."
__________________
Sleepy cat is sleepy.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 9th of September, 2011, 12:27
Marcus316's Avatar
Marcus316
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Member: #9532
Location: Canada
Posts: 353 (0.15 per day)
Umuriel sighed. He had half-expected some sort of fight during this mission. That it had happened so soon did not bode well for the remainder.

He set himself, ready to defend against whatever was to come. He raised his club to a defensive position and shifted his feet to better hold his ground in the slick mud.

Damn this rain! Umuriel peered at the figures by the fire, attempting to discern any details that might give a clue about them and why they were attacking.

{ OOC
Move Action - Perception Check to try and see details (-2 for poor conditions included) - 16
Standard Action - Total Defense
}
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 9th of September, 2011, 15:40
Lune's Avatar
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1510
Location: Missagain
Posts: 2,058 (0.46 per day)
Gavel nodded at Kamh and moved forward to the front of the party with Tank at his side. He wasn't ready to step into a fight with humans unnecessarily but he also wasn't willing to completely give over. If diplomacy failed he wanted it to be made known that he - they - were ready and waiting for a physical response. As he moved forward to his position he gave a command to Tank purposefully and loudly in the Common tongue, "Tank, guard." The dwarf pointed to the ground in front of where they stood and held tangle of wooden knots that composed his shield at the ready.

Tank knew what Gavel wanted and complied by moving into a threatening stance and pounding his tail heavily against the ground making what would normally be a heavy thudding sound now make more of a thick squishing sound. The beast looks back at his tail briefly, seemingly surprised itself at the odd sound its own tail just made before happily refocusing on it's given task and renewing its threatening expression.

[OOC: Move to V13, have tank move to U15, point to ground near W15 to W18. Ready action to cast Entangle on their entire group with the entangled zone stopping just short of our group if any of them continues with any physically hostile action including the dog's continued movement at our party. Tank will ready action to attack any foe that threatens the area indicated. Handle Animal: [roll]1d20+7[/roll] ]
__________________
"Plus, you know, robots. Pew-pew." - Benicus

Last edited by Lune; 9th of September, 2011 at 16:28.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 9th of September, 2011, 19:21
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.74 per day)
Padryc heard the arrow strike Trerac, heard Surgeon shout not to fight. Still, the magus knew that steel often trumped words, and he wasn't going to be caught completely unprepared, especially seeing as he was the light source for the group. His left hand wove an intricate pattern in the air in front of him as he spoke an arcane phrase. The air shimmered and distorted slightly around him, rain spattering off of the protection the magus had called up. His right hand had not been idle in the meantime, and he drew his rapier, settling into a guarded stance.

[ooc: cast shield as a standard action, draw rapier as a move action]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren