Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > treehouse's Games > Rise of the Runelords

Unread 8th of April, 2010, 23:53
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
RotR OOC Thread

Hello everyone.

I have a lot of stuff I need to get up for this game before we start and I'm at work right this second, so this will be brief.

Let's not post character sheets just yet, and instead take at least a couple of days to talk over group composition. It looks like Mercutio wants to play a paladin, Darius wants to play a bard and Tashalar is going back and forth between sorcerer or rogue. As I said in the advertisement, don't get too attached to a concept before we make sure all our bases are covered.

I'd recommend somebody take the mantle of cleric or druid so the group has healing (the campaign has pretty taxing encounters), and a dedicated arcanist is nice too but not as crucial as the first.

Paizo kindly offers a free 16 page Player's Guide (only the .pdf version is free) to get you started on a RotR campaign.

An important note - for my own ease of reference, I want a uniform character sheet that everyone uses. I can concoct one, but if anyone has a good one already feel free to post it.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot

Last edited by treehouse; 8th of April, 2010 at 23:56.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 00:34
treehouse

I'm trying to determine if the Pathfinder version of a paladin's lay on hands combined with some support healing from a bard would suffice for a party's healing in lieu of a cleric or druid. Thoughts?

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 00:42
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Just as a placeholder for now: 1/2 Elf Bard. And Lo!, neither Int nor Wis will be my dump stat.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 00:44
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
If necessary, I could do a cleric.
Also, if you don't need a cleric, and we have too many fighter-types, I could do an arcanist - though I'd rather not, cause I've got two other spellcasters in 2 other games.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 00:46
treehouse

I'm really wondering now that I'm looking over the paladin and bard in Pathfinder if a cleric is necessary. Lay on hands is frankly amazing, and bards get way more spells per day. If Darius can commit to putting some curing spells in his repertoire, you all might be golden.

Unread 9th of April, 2010, 00:52
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Lay on Hands is the bomb. I think I'm going to pick up some of the pathfinder books, it really does seem like the same kind if improvement we say in 3->3.5e.

I shall be watching. And posting here, because tree hasn't made a visitor thread.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 00:53
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Speaking of visitors in the OOC, is there some summary of changes between 3.5 and Pathfinder somewhere? It would probably be useful for the players too.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 01:05
treehouse

I'm now thoroughly convinced that you don't need a cleric (although clerics in Pathfinder are pretty sweet). Paladins not only get lay on hands, they get channel positive energy, which can be used to generate huge bursts of healing.

Edit: The first adventure might be pretty rough though. Paladins get lay on hands at 2nd and channel at 4th, so you'll have to rely on potions, wands, and perhaps bard spells for a little while.

Unread 9th of April, 2010, 01:15
Scipio23
Ghoul

Member: #7783
It has been a while since I played a wizard, so I am thinking an Elven Wizard would be fun. The wizard does not look terribly different from 3.5, but I like the arcane bond for an object idea.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 01:15
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Yep, bards and paladins got a huge boost. So did barbarians, fighters and rogues. And sorcerers (at least concerning the class abilities).

Druids were cut to size (although they are still strong enough) and clerics are weaker as well.

In general, the sub-par classes have been made stronger and all classes have been given abilities which develop over the course of the 20 levels. Taking a prestige class now actually 'weakens' a character mechanically in most cases.

There's some kind of summary of all changes somewhere. As I'm at work, I cannot research it now, but when I stumble across a link, I'll post it!

Edit: If people want to get into a little optimization, have a look at here:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/commu...treatmonks-lab
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 01:19
treehouse

Originally Posted by Scipio23 # It has been a while since I played a wizard, so I am thinking an Elven Wizard would be fun. The wizard does not look terribly different from 3.5, but I like the arcane bond for an object idea.
Wizards are pretty cool in Pathfinder - they aren't quite as crazy at the high levels anymore compared to the other classes, but you should check out the powers you get based on your specialization (or your decision to be a universalist, if you went that route).

Okay, well I'm thinking that everyone can just pick the classes they want, provided Mercutio sticks with paladin and Darius sticks with bard. A cleric is unnecessary and Scipio has our arcanist covered.

This group is going to be fierce.

Tashalar

Btw - did you say 32 point buy, tree? You mean the 3.5 point buy, right? 'Cause pathfinder point buy functions differently...
treehouse

Originally Posted by Tashalar # Btw - did you say 32 point buy, tree? You mean the 3.5 point buy, right? 'Cause pathfinder point buy functions differently...
Ahh...let me look. No one get attached to 32 point buy yet.

Unread 9th of April, 2010, 01:23
treehouse

Okay, thanks a ton for that catch, Tash. I need to follow my own advice and stop making assumptions.

We're using a 25 point buy based on the rules here.

Unread 9th of April, 2010, 01:27
treehouse

What do you all think of this character sheet as our basic format?

Unread 9th of April, 2010, 01:38
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
Since scipio's got arcanist covered, and we don't necessarily need a cleric (my idea for one was half-baked), I'm going with my original Half-elf barbarian idea. I'll work out the mechanics when I get home.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 02:00
cthulhu76
Ghoul

Member: #7784
It doesn't look like anyone has settled on rogue, yet. I might play a halfling rogue. That character sheet looks alright, Treehouse.
Nobody... nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired... there's nothing more I can do, just wait... RJ MacReady, helicopter pilot, US outpost #31.
--The Thing
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 02:04
treehouse

I don't actually really like that sheet on second glance. I mean, it's okay. But we can do better. Going to search some more and then post a template in the Character Creation Rules thread.

Edit: If Tash ends up going rogue, the party would certainly not suffer from two rogues. Did you by chance notice that sneak attack no longer requires an enemy to have a discernible anatomy?

Here is our tentative composition:

Mercutio - paladin (tank, healer)
Explosive Cheese - barbarian (tank, damage)
Scipio - wizard (utility, damage)
Darius - bard (utility, healing)
cthulhu76 - rogue (damage, skills)
Tashalar - ???

Looks like all our bases are covered! This group will be formidable.

Last edited by treehouse; 9th of April, 2010 at 02:08.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 02:11
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
All right, 1/2 Elf Bard, probably going to max out UMD and will invest in those curative type spells that everyone seems so fond of.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 02:12
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I'm definitely looking at paladin. I'm re-reading the rules and very much liking the new lay on hands. It's sweet.

On that character sheet - not a fan.

Question, is there an editable PDF form that we can use and post up? With things like dropbox available, it should be easy. Just an idea.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 02:14
Tashalar

Oh, wow, yay! I'm the triple question mark! *dances*

Seems like I've got free choice of all and everything, eh? I might go for a ranger switch-hitter in that case. I always like to play rangers. Or do I stick to sorcerer? Oh my.

Two rogues while working out fine isn't that exciting either.
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 02:17
treehouse

I'll tell you that a ranger would probably be quite fun - the campaign has many wilderness elements.

Sorcerers get those tasty bloodlines though...

Edit: Merc, if you can find a good editable pdf that might work. The one I found seems to only be for offline use, the fields didn't allow input.

Unread 9th of April, 2010, 02:20
cthulhu76
Ghoul

Member: #7784
Tashalar, if you wanna play a rogue I am certainly cool playing a sorc or ranger or something. So many of the classes look cool I'm pretty open to anything.
Nobody... nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired... there's nothing more I can do, just wait... RJ MacReady, helicopter pilot, US outpost #31.
--The Thing
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 02:27
Tashalar

cthulhu - thanks for the offer!

I might go with Ranger... because I like playing them and because they're nifty. Nifty-nifty.

There's the power attack for archery for example. Or combining manyshot and rapid shot. Yes, changes, changes...

Edit: Btw - this is the highest influx of posts in one game this board saw in quite a while. Ah well, interest is highest at the start of campaigns in the most cases - and if there's a new nice system involved, so much more!
Unread 9th of April, 2010, 02:40
Tashalar

I like http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ more than the SRD you posted, tree. It has a bug or two, but for the most part it's visually more attractive.