Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 25th of May, 2007, 10:04
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Chapter 5, Scene 8 Return to the Dreaded Tower

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 8 Return to the Dreaded Tower

By the time that Gizerak finishes the unavoidable leadership role that he must play in the funerals, it is late afternoon. They set out for Merak Town, missing their dinner.

By the time they arrive, it is after dark. The sentries at the town gate recognize them and welcome them back. Merak Town is still bustling after the recent takeover. Residents that took refuge in nearby provinces are now returning home. The mood is celebratory.



OOC: Where do the henchmen want to lodge for the evening? The Imperial Army Headquarters? Gizerak's family? an inn?

Last edited by crueldespot; 11th of June, 2007 at 20:44.
  #2  
Unread 30th of May, 2007, 12:30
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.17 per day)
Flarrgj recomends that perhaps they should take advantage of there recent assistance to the locals and request a corner to sleep at the Imperial Army Headquarters.
  #3  
Unread 30th of May, 2007, 23:26
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Listening to what Flaargj says, Gizerak nods in agreement.

"I believe that we will be able make sure the prisoner is secure there. We should each take a turn helping with the night watch over him though. I would hate for us to be surprised by Bon-Quo's minions if they were to try to retrieve their comrade. I am going to take a quick jaunt to see my family and wish them well. I will return shortly to join you all here."

Before he leaves, he asks Fugen to consult his maps, perhaps getting more from the Imperial Army's cartographers to help determine their return route.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---

Last edited by trendel; 30th of May, 2007 at 23:29.
  #4  
Unread 31st of May, 2007, 07:36
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.28 per day)
Signing, Fugen indicates that it isn't necessary to consult with the Army cartographers, as they simply need to travel on the Imperial Highway.

As Gizerak goes to visit his family, Fugen goes about obtaining manacles for their prisoner and lodging him for the night with the other prisoners the Imperial Army had captured. He offers his own services to help with the watch, and also makes sure that the others in the group do the same (especially Kierna, who can watch most of the night by herself).
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #5  
Unread 31st of May, 2007, 07:39
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
7:31 Back at the Imperial Army Headquarters

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 8:1 Back at the Imperial Army Headquarters

At the Imperial Headquarters, the army is unwilling to accept prisoners from the Temple of Stone. The imperial officers do not believe that Bon Quo's underlings fall under military jurisdiction, and so they refer them to the civil authorities.

At the town hall, the acting prefect is willing to imprison the mercenary overnight, but would prefer that the henchmen leave him to face trial.

Back at the Imperial Army Headquarters, the henchmen are given comfortable accomodations, and stabling is provided for their mounts. Fugen is welcome to consult their maps.

The regiment is refitting and preparing to move out the next morning. They intend to follow the highway northwest then cross the Crown River and pursue the Aikou forces across the mountains to Anmi.

Gizerak finds his family and the entire community in shock at the news from the Temple. They are appalled at the turn of events but proud of Gizerak for thwarting Bon Quo.



OOC: How far do you intend to travel each day on the way back to the dreaded tower? Stay in inns or camp out? How will the prisoner be transported? Which route will you take? The highway through QingShan Province and Shen village, or the minor road that cuts straight from Huoyanshan to ZunYan? (feel free to consult the maps in the Campaign Info thread)

Last edited by crueldespot; 11th of June, 2007 at 20:44.
  #6  
Unread 1st of June, 2007, 03:26
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.28 per day)
At the acting prefect's suggestion that the mercenary remain behind to stand trial, Fugen finds himself in an uncomfortable situation. Using Linus to translate (or writing, if necessary) Fugen lets the Prefect know that having Golock interrogate the prisoner could provide valuable information that could lead to the final defeat of Akiou and the restoration of the empire. As such, they really need to transport him to Ichiba (as it is highly unlikely that Golock will come to them). However, if the prefect would like to send along a set of guards to accompany the prisoner to Ichiba, Fugen is sure that Golock will let them escort him back to Merak for trial after he is done interrogating him.

***

Later that evening, Fugen asks around to see if anyone knows what the recent weather in Huoyanshan has been like, and what effect that has had on the conditions of the cart trails.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #7  
Unread 1st of June, 2007, 05:59
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.47 per day)
"So, what's the plan guys?" Nimdor seems rather pleased with the groups progress, strangely ecstatic even.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #8  
Unread 1st of June, 2007, 13:50
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
7:32 Termix’ Home Village

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 8:2 Termix’ Home Village

The prefect consents for the henchmen to take the prisoner, and declines to send any guards with them. Gizerak and the henchmen have earned such credibility in Merak Hoi over the last two days that he is content to trust their word that the prisoner will eventually return for trial. He loans them a set of manacles. The Imperial Army donates them a horse from the spoils of the battle.

They are restricted to the speed of their slowest mounts, which are the halfling’s ponies.

The next morning they set out. the weather is mostly dry in this warmest season of the year, and the weather is clear. There is steady traffic, but not heavy enough to slow them down.

By mid afternoon they have reached Termix’ home village.



OOC: Current location: 01E/41N. Regardless of the encumbrance of the horses, the group is restricted to a move rate of 40 (32 miles a day + any forced marching etc). They have expended 28 miles worth by they time they reach Termix’ village.

Last edited by crueldespot; 11th of June, 2007 at 20:44.
  #9  
Unread 4th of June, 2007, 14:18
Canter_shadow's Avatar
Canter_shadow
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2127
Posts: 232 (0.06 per day)
"You know, it feels like it has been much longer than it actually has since I've been here. I'd... like to move on as soon as we can."
__________________
How could'st thou say I did it? Never shake thy gory locks at me.
  #10  
Unread 5th of June, 2007, 04:01
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.28 per day)
Signing, Fugen indicates that they can push on by one of two routes from here. If the weather has been good recently, they can use the shorter route that goes directly to ZunYan province. If it hasn't, then they should stick to the highway and travel via QingShan.

He then let's one of the others go about inquiring after the weather and road conditions, as it is bound to be much faster for them to do so.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #11  
Unread 5th of June, 2007, 07:52
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Gizerak inquires about the recent weather.

OOC: Nothing else from me today.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #12  
Unread 5th of June, 2007, 08:23
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 8:3 Termix’ Home Village Part 2

The henchmen do not get far into the village before a crowd assembles to greet them. Not only is Termix a famous son of the village, but the henchmen are local heroes for saving the village from the menace in Mikon's tower a month ago.

Termix' mother is disappointed that her son does not want to visit his home, but she is the daughter of Golock, after all. She is well accustomed to rude behavior from the wizards in the family.

Typically, the latter part of summer is fairly dry, and this summer is no exception. The rains of late summer are typically violent storms that do not last long. Fortunately, the local druid does not forecast any impending precipitation.

Last edited by crueldespot; 11th of June, 2007 at 20:44.
  #13  
Unread 6th of June, 2007, 02:40
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.28 per day)
Given the weather forcast, Fugen suggest taking the more direct route. They should be just shy of the border with ZunYan province when they are forced to make camp tonight, and then should be able to get to Ichiba, and Golock's tower on the marrow.

[OOC: By my count 40 miles would occur at the road intersection just shy of the border. The party should camp out there (or maybe stay with a farmer or in an inn if one is available). It is then 22 miles to Golock's tower, a distance easily managed on the following day.]
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #14  
Unread 6th of June, 2007, 13:27
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
7:34 Something is Wrong

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 8:4 Something is Wrong


The henchmen must camp out. They do not have good camping equipment, but fortunately it is a warm, dry summer night. The last time half of the group took this path when it was muddy and treacherous. Now it is easy. The next day, they pass through the the border checkpoint with no problems and cross QingShan province to the Dreaded Tower.

They arrive in midafternoon. THey can immediately tell that something is wrong. The front gate is wide open, and no sentry is visible on the battlements. There is a huge hole in the side of the main tower. Once they get closer they can see a mason patiently mortaring stones to repair the hole. Two apprentices are working from a cart in the courtyard, loading stones and raising them up to the hole with a pully.

Barnabus eventually appears. He listlessly approaches the henchmen. Without introduction, he says “Someone attacked the tower. Golock disappeared. Yi and Si were killed. There is a scroll upstairs that might tell us something, but we need a wizard to make sure it is safe to read.” He starts to lead them upstairs. In the lounge they find a gnome. “This is Takeshi” introduces Barnabus.

Last edited by crueldespot; 11th of June, 2007 at 20:45.
  #15  
Unread 6th of June, 2007, 14:28
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.17 per day)
Takeshi sees a massive barbarian in the back of the group, instantly identifiable as foreign by his ruddy and freckled light skin, wavy blonde hair pulled back into a bun in a the local fashion, and light blue eye's. Apart from this though, he wears a tunic of imperial fashion and carries a massive curved katana on his back. He apears near seven feet tall, with wide shoulders but a narrow waist. He glares silently, saying nothing.
  #16  
Unread 6th of June, 2007, 14:50
Boomlaor's Avatar
Boomlaor
Devourer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1478
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,151 (0.27 per day)
Takeshi rises to his feet as the henchmen enter and bows respectfully to them.

"I am honored to meet you, though I wish it were not in these circumstances. As our friend Barnabus has indicated, I am Sato Takeshi. It seems that the spirits have drawn our destinies together. I was told by the people of the Village of the Five Martyrs that the henchmen of Golock had received the blessing of the Martyrs only days before I myself did."

Noticing the foreigner's tunic he continues, indicating the imperial seal on his own tunic.

"Although perhaps our destinies have crossed before, tall one. I had the honor of serving as caretaker to the imperial gardens before these dark times."
  #17  
Unread 7th of June, 2007, 01:27
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.47 per day)
"Wow, what in the nine hells happened here? I mean... WOW! What on earth could get Golock?"

The little halfling seems geniunely confused... which doesn't happen often.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #18  
Unread 7th of June, 2007, 03:32
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.28 per day)
Were it not for the seriousness of Golock's disapearence, Fugen would have broken out laughing at the suggestion of Flarrgj working in the Imperial Palace. Instead, the courier merely smiles and gestures Termix forward to examine the scroll which Barnabas had mentioned.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #19  
Unread 7th of June, 2007, 07:28
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Following Barnabus up to the study, Gizerak prepares himself should he need to heal someone if this goes wrong.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #20  
Unread 7th of June, 2007, 08:29
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.17 per day)
Flarrgj breaks out into a wide, chortling smile upon understanding the new comers confusion, but says nothing, instead falling back into silence, though with a amused twinkle in his eye.
  #21  
Unread 8th of June, 2007, 23:50
Canter_shadow's Avatar
Canter_shadow
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2127
Posts: 232 (0.06 per day)
Termix stands there staring off into space for a moment, with his mouth moving and forming the words "My Grandfather" but not actually speaking, before he shakes his head and snaps back to reality.

Then he walks toward the scrolls without a word and begins to examine them.
__________________
How could'st thou say I did it? Never shake thy gory locks at me.
  #22  
Unread 10th of June, 2007, 00:06
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
7:35 A Debt of Revenge

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 8:5 A Debt of Revenge

Termix unfurls the scroll. It is written, almost entirely, in a fancy formal script. The calligraphy is quite good. Termix reads aloud.

“Greetings, Mortals! I am the mightly and immortal wizard Nakigara, elder of a distinguished and honored clan. I owed a debt of revenge against the foul wizard Golock who sent his minions to murder my great-grandson Nakigara the Fourth at the Imperial Library. At the location where this scroll is found I claimed that debt by killing the wizard with..” and next there is a blank space where someone hastily added the word “DISTINTEGRATION.” Then the fancy script resumes. “I, Nakigara, have prevailed! My clan is avenged! The end”

As Termix reads “The End” suddenly a snake appears, emerging from the scroll. Termix is startled. The snake bites him on the neck and then disappeares in a puff of flash of brown light accompanied by a puff of dun-colored smoke. Termix is engulfed in a shimmering amber field of force and immobilized. He stands frozen, like a statue.

Last edited by crueldespot; 11th of June, 2007 at 20:45.
  #23  
Unread 10th of June, 2007, 00:22
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.47 per day)
"Uh... Termix? You... alright?"

Nimdor just stands there, having no idea what to do.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #24  
Unread 10th of June, 2007, 05:49
The Alcotroll's Avatar
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member: #512
Location: Inside your OODA loop.
Posts: 2,147 (0.44 per day)
Having stifled a gasp of surprise at the sudden appearance of the magical snake, Kierna now steps forwards and cautiously raises a finger to touch the shimmering forcefield.
__________________
"Is French kissing not kissing with tongues? And is French cricket not cricket with tongues?"
  #25  
Unread 10th of June, 2007, 10:11
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Termix remains frozen, but nothing unusual happens when Kierna touches him. She cannot feel the amber forcefield. Her finger passes through it and she feels only the fabric of Termix' robe.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren