Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 24th of July, 2006, 15:09
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Interlude: Nimdor

JIANGU! Interlude: Nimdor

It was an inauspicious time for Nimdor to find himself unemployed. He was uprooted from his livelihood just after the palace on Shan Mountian in Dian province became haunted by undead spirits. The imperial government collapsed and the entire region was overrun by refugees.

He left the port metropolis of Haigang to seek his fortune in Dujing, the other major city of the Imperial Heartland. As he approached it he learned that most of the city was now depopulated as a result of the haunting. Only those suburbs across the river from Dian were still habitable. The roads were choke with refugees, the inns were full, and the prices for everthing had skyrocketed. He continued to wander, looking for an opportunity.

In BangXie province he finds a sign posted in the public square:

"Do you seek a short and painful but exciting life of prosperity? The fearsome wizard GOLOCK is hiring HENCHMEN to fight the evil menace haunting Shan Mountain and perform other tasks as needed. Applicants must be stout-hearted adventurers who supply their own equipment. Compensation will be 20 gold pieces per month in addition to lodgings in his dreaded tower. Henchmen will receive a share of all reward prizes, and may keep all authorized loot! Expect frequent travel. Apply in person during daylight hours at the dreaded tower northwest of Ichiba. Undead or married persons not allowed!"

Nimdor knows that Ichiba is about 40 miles away in ZunYan province.

  #2  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 00:59
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
This has some promise, although I have almost no skills as a fighter.

Nimdor sighs, grabs his meager belongings, and starts on his journey, living off the land when possible, and grabbing what he needs from others when safely possible.
  #3  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 07:19
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
JIANGU! Interlude 1: Living Off The Land

Nimdor finds it impossible to live of the land in BangXie province. It is a densely populated area without any wilderness areas to speak of. It is too early in the growing season to glean anything from the fields, and worst of all, the roads are packed with hungry refugees who all have the same intent, so that anything that could be scavenged already has.

Ipso facto, his second option is even easier. Not all of the refugees are hungry and penniless. Most are carrying all their worldly belongings with no way to secure them. The density and anonymity of the crowds makes this a pickpocket’s paradise, as long as one doesn’t mind preying upon those who are already pitiful.



OOC:
Survive skill DC to “get along in the wild” in this unique non-wild environment is 30- impossible for Nimdor. Does he want to pickpockets? Circumstance mod for sleight of hand skill is +4, so the effective DC to obtain the object is 16, with +4 to his roll vs. the victim’s spot check. Any particular type of target he is seeking?
  #4  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 12:49
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
Nimdor looks pitifully at the fields and at the refugees. They are almost as poor off as I am, yet at least I have my skills. No matter, if they don't have the skill to hold on to their goods, they don't deserve them.

OOC:
Nimdor will pickpocket for money and food products. Any rings or jewelry he can get without too much difficulty also. He'll seek out anybody who actually has some belongings to steal, as long as they don't look like a tough target. Anybody who looks alert he will avoid, but anybody who has consumed alcohol is a prime target.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #5  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 22:14
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Interlude 2: Adjusting to a Different Environment

JIANGU! Interlude 2: Adjusting to a Different Environment

Picking pockets among the refugees turns out to be more difficult than Nimdor had assumed. None of them have coinage handy, and stealing larger goods is awkward. Perhaps he is just adjusting to a different environment than his usual haunt. He isn’t able to find a really tempting target.

After several hours, he crosses the border into QingShan province. Guards at the border are preventing anyone who looks like a refugee from passing through. He is able to skirt around the guardpost without being noticed.

He pushes himself beyond the limits of his endurance to travel 24 miles that day. By the last mile he is sore and exhausted. Unfortunately, by the time he reaches the 24th mile, he is not in a proper village with an inn. In the nearest hamlet, the only shelter he sees is the residence of a peasant family that has posted a sign advertising lodging for travelers.



OOC:
Interlude 2 (1d20=2, 1d20=3, 1d20=20, 1d20=9, 1d20=6, 1d20=16, 1d20=7, 1d20=20, 1d20=16, 1d20=14, 1d20=2, 1d20=3, 1d20=7, 1d20=6, 1d20=15, 1d20=6, 1d20=13, 1d20=16, 1d20=12, 1d20=20)

The rules for using sleight of hand skill in the PHB are geared towards an attempt vs. a specific individual, rather than as a general income-generating activity against the populace at large. The best way that I could find to resolve this was to use the system described on page 44 of the “Living Greyhawk Campaign Sourcebook.”
Based on Linklegacy’s portrayal of Nimdor’s strategy, I chose to use the “Safe Score” table. The +4 circumstance mod still applies.

Unfortunately, he rolled a “2”+ mods. Thanks to his awesome skill, he was still able to avoid trouble, but not gain any coin.

Move silently roll of 3+mods easily beats DC to sneak past guards.

By hustling for one hour, he travels 18 miles before needing to forced-march. In his first hour of forced march, he rolls a con check of 20 vs DC 10. Succeeds. Second hour of forced march, rolls a con check of 9 vs DC 12. 2pts of nonlethal & becomes fatigued. Third hour of forced march, rolls a con check of 6 vs DC14. Fails. Takes 4 pts of nonlethal. Now exhausted and reached the chosen threshold of nonlethal damage. 6 additional miles. 6 pts of nonlethal damage.

Does he chose to stop at the peasant’s house? If so, it costs 3sp (2sp for poor lodging, 1sp for poor food).

Last edited by crueldespot; 25th of July, 2006 at 22:19.
  #6  
Unread 25th of July, 2006, 23:17
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
Nimdor slowly approaches the house, tired, and hurting. He knocks on the door "Guest." He says loudly to attract attention.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #7  
Unread 26th of July, 2006, 13:42
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Interlude 3: The Village of Shen

JIANGU! Interlude 3: The Village of Shen

Nimdor is able to get a restful night of sleep, despite the odor, insects, and horrible food of his accommodations. At the expense of three silver pieces, bright and early the next morning he is refreshed, with a stomach full of paste-like gruel.

It occurs to him that this highway is heading further north than he expected. When it intersects a highway heading east, it does so at an acute angle. He must turn southwest towards Zunyan province. A sign at the intersection read “Ichiba: 26 miles” which is much farther than he had expected. He has already traveled four hours today to reach the intersection.

In the afternoon he reaches the village of Shen. On a bare wall adjacent to the highway he sees several posters. One of them is a copy of Golock’s ad for henchmen. Another poster says the following:

“REWARD: 3,000 gold coins and many thanks from the Shen Clan to the gentleman who retrieves Mei, daughter of the honorable Shen Shi. This maiden was abducted by the despicable barbarian Fah-rah-aj. This villain is suspected of murdering the hero Shen Biao who never returned from his attempt to rescue the kidnapped Mei. Those interested please inquire at the Town Hall. Signed, Cuo Wu, Chieftain of Shen.”

The poster features an artist’s ink sketch of a pretty young girl’s face, next to a ferocious-looking round-eyed foreigner.



OOC:
Current location: 5 more miles this day before requiring forced-march rolls.
  #8  
Unread 26th of July, 2006, 13:54
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
Nimdor looks quite pleased at the prospect of a job that will pay very well, but is slightly concerned about fighting. Mayhaps a detour is in order? As long as I can pull this one off without getting myself into too much trouble.

Nimdor enters the town and approaches the town hall.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #9  
Unread 26th of July, 2006, 14:27
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Interlude 4: Nimdor Inquires in the Clan Hall

JIANGU! Interlude 4: Nimdor Inquires in the Clan Hall

Nimdor inquires in the clan hall about the poster. A servant offers him tea while he waits to see the clan secretary. After a short delay he is admitted into the secretary’s office and asked to introduce himself.
  #10  
Unread 26th of July, 2006, 22:41
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
"Hello" he says, bowing graciously, "My name is Nimdor Shiha, and I am an adventurer of sorts. After reading the sign outside, I have found myself quite interested."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #11  
Unread 26th of July, 2006, 23:50
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Interlude 5: The Clan Secretary’s Tale

JIANGU! Interlude 5: The Clan Secretary’s Tale

The clan secretary regards Nimdor skeptically and fails to greet him politely. Such prejudice should be expected by Nimdor, a clanless halfling in human lands. Somewhat reluctantly, the secretary tells Nimdor the rest of the story.

“We still offer the reward for anyone who returns our missing maiden, but much has happened since that sign was posted. The demon Fa-ra-aj returned to our village and laid siege to the house of the girl’s parents. He brought an army of bandits with him, but our brave guard force was able to drive them out. Only one of our guards was martyred in the battle.”

“The bandits bragged that they were in the service of the fearsome wizard Golock, so our clan chieftain went to Ichiba to complain to the wizard. His attendants returned yesterday, saying only that the chieftain entered the dreaded tower alone and never came out, then the wizard’s minions drove them away. So you see that Fa-ra-aj is not the only foe that must be overcome to return the missing girl. She is key to some dire conspiracy of the fearsome wizard. If you hope to return the kidnapped girl, you must rescue her from the clutches of Golock himself. Franky, I fear that she has already been sacrificed in some occult ritual, or transformed into the undead, or some such.”

“I’m sure you realize that it would be folly for one such as you to undertake such a quest. Now excuse me, please. We are quite busy. This servant will show you out.”
  #12  
Unread 27th of July, 2006, 03:41
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
Most interesting, in fact, this is utterly amazing. What luck!

"Very well, but should I return with the girl, I expect to be paid in full."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #13  
Unread 27th of July, 2006, 06:01
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
The secretary smiles condescendingly. “Indeed.” He waves for the servant to steer Nimdor out.
  #14  
Unread 27th of July, 2006, 12:15
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
Were this village an enemy, I would have him die first.

Nimdor leaves with the servant, possibilities whizzing in his mind.

As soon as he is out of sight from the town hall, he'll head over to a market of some kind where they sell food.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 28th of July, 2006 at 05:57.
  #15  
Unread 28th of July, 2006, 07:25
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Interlude 6: Nimdor Resumes His Journey

JIANGU! Interlude 6: Nimdor Resumes His Journey

Nimdor resumes his journey towards Inchiba. By the time he reaches the limits of his endurance, the highway signs say that Ichiba is only 12 more miles. Today when he is ready to stop, he has the fortune to be near a large village. It has two inns. One is quite cheap. The other is more respectable, and features a few rooms that are even luxurious.



OOC:
Interlude 6 and 4,6:13 (1d20=8, 1d20=1, 1d20=7, 1d20=13, 1d20=6, 1d20=15, 1d20=5, 1d20=2, 1d20=18, 1d20=6, 1d20=14, 1d20=11, 1d20=18, 1d20=16, 1d20=20, 1d20=3, 1d20=8, 1d20=11, 1d20=20, 1d20=8)

First hour forced march: fails: 3 pts of damage. Fatigued. Second hour: fails. 3 pts of damage. 6pts nonlethal. Exhausted. 22 total miles. Ending in the village at 17N/7.5E

Quality of accommodations: good, common, or poor?
  #16  
Unread 28th of July, 2006, 07:49
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
Nimdor approaches the respectable inn, looking both for a good quality room, and for an easy target. Of course those who can afford a good room will actually have something to take.

<ooc: anybody who looks like an easy target but looks to have some money, Nimdor will pickpocket. Anybody who has consumed liquor is a prime target>
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 28th of July, 2006 at 07:52.
  #17  
Unread 29th of July, 2006, 00:02
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
After speaking it over with the others, Gizerak agrees that the inn with the lesser accomodations would suit them just as well. Dismounting and seeing that his pony is stabled, Gizerak heads in the inn, glad to be spending the night in a bed, hopefully a comfortable one.

After putting his things in his room, the halfling heads outside after taking a short meal to give homage to Sha-gaat.
  #18  
Unread 30th of July, 2006, 07:29
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.17 per day)
Flarrgj follows the halfling into the lesser accomidations, finds some food, and emmediatly falls asleep.
  #19  
Unread 30th of July, 2006, 09:17
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Interlude 7: None other than Fa-ra-aj

JIANGU! Interlude 7: None other than Fa-ra-aj

Nimdor washes up and then enjoys a relaxing meal on the veranda outside of the inn. He selects a seat that provides him with a good view of the main village square. From here he should have the best prospect of spotting a suitable victim.

As he scans the crowd, his eyes settle on a tall stranger riding in on the highway from the north, accompanied by a elven female in hunting garb and a halfling priest. They are all mounted; the halfling on a pony, the elf on a light horse, and the tall human on a heavy horse. Nimdor has no trouble recognizing the foreign features of this blond haired giant, armed with a massive axe: It can be none other than Fa-ra-aj!

By the time Nimdor spots Fa-ra-aj, he and his companions are dismounting at the poorer inn. They disappear into the dilapidated structure as an attendant leads their mounts to the stables.



OOC:
2.5gp for the good room and board.
  #20  
Unread 30th of July, 2006, 13:36
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.68 per day)
Kierna enters the inn and buys some bread with whatever she can find that is hot, preferably a vegetable stew of some sort. She stays in the common room for a while, but she engages no one in conversation unless spoken to first.
  #21  
Unread 31st of July, 2006, 03:29
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
Yet again, I am absolutely amazed at my luck! What a find! Now, which way to twist this...

Nimdor grabs all his gear, and leaves, heading for the poorer inn. At his first opportunity, he will speak to the group, opening with: "Hello travelers, from whence have you come?"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #22  
Unread 31st of July, 2006, 07:41
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.24 per day)
Interlude 8 Hello Travelers

JIANGU! Interlude 8 Hello Travelers

Kierna is disappointed to find no vegetable soup. This is a poor inn, and they only serve a thin grey gruel that is lukewarm. “No second helpings!” barks the innkeeper as he ladles the gruel into a dirty bowl for each of them.

There are no private rooms. The inn has only one room and the guests all sleep on mats that are laid on the straw floor. A cloud of flies buzz throughout the room. The room has a thick odor of sweat, One of the patrons grunts as he squats over a chamber pot in the corner.

The inn is crowded due to the refugee crisis. The innkeeper must nudge other patrons to move over in order to make room for Kierna, Flarrgj, and Gizerak.

As they stand with their gruel, waiting for floor space to sleep on, a strange halfling approaches them. "Hello travelers, from whence have you come?" he asks.



OOC:
3sp each for the poor inn, and 5sp each to put your mount in the stable.
  #23  
Unread 31st of July, 2006, 07:54
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.68 per day)
"From whence have we come...? Who are you to ask our business, little one?"

Kierna is in a sour mood, because she hates gruel. She thinks that they should have just splurged on the better inn. She doesn't seem to pay the halfling much attention as she watches flies circling her bowl, but she is easing a hand to the axe at her belt all the same.

[Is Naki outside in the stables?]

Last edited by treehouse; 31st of July, 2006 at 07:56.
  #24  
Unread 31st of July, 2006, 08:02
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.46 per day)
"I am a friend, who has much knowledge of your exploits. I am traveling to the Dreaded Tower to join with the wizard there. I believe we will be allies? Oh, and if you wish for something better than that gruel, I would be happy to have a nice discussion with you and your group over dinner. Would you care to accompany me?"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #25  
Unread 31st of July, 2006, 08:12
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.68 per day)
Kierna drops the bowl on the counter, slopping gruel everywhere. "Lead on to better dinner, my friend."

She eyes the other two, to make sure they are okay with it.

It's not like we can't handle him between the three of us. Unless he's leading us into a trap.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 17:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren