Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > BigRedRod's Games > City of the Dead > Vodalian Special Forces

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 3rd of April, 2004, 01:25
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (2.16 per day)
Chapter 8 : Whenever, Wherever

71 days remain...

Wet

...

Cold

...

Dark

...

The blackness fades and is replaced by a horde of unwanted sensations. After a few moments of struggling against the will to sleep, eyes are opened and peer into the pale dawn outside.

A beach, a cold, miserable, beach. The salty ocean gently impacts a few feet away, and a little bit more salty water and sand is deposited inside Collin's armour. The entire team stirs within a few moments.

Varidiir, the Azer, furthest up the sandy beach, as he moves to a sitting position he swats at a dry piece of driftwood which has caught fire. The small piece of wood crackles and spits for amoment before striking the wet sand and being extinguished.

Lynores stirs from his small impression in the sand, gazing across at Torin who lies a few feet away.

Grakus flies around in small circles above his master. As the drow awakens, the familiar drops to stand on the sand and watch.

Coughing and spluttering to awakefulness is Collin, nearest the rolling ocean and the party member clad in the heaviest armour.

Quite why or how the team have ended up on a beach is bewildering, but wherever they are, so is all of their equipment. It doesn't seem that the team were washed ashore. The beach is littered with the belongings of the quintet, backpacks have spilt open, boots have moved several feet seemingly of their own accord and suchlike.

The dawn-light (although with the crackling fire produced by the flaming monk) aren't enough for anything to be seen beyond the watery expanse. The bearch curves back on itself in both directions, and up the shallow sandy slope all that can be seen are trees.
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #2  
Unread 3rd of April, 2004, 08:21
Gnarsh's Avatar
Gnarsh
Banned Fool

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #26
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,293 (0.23 per day)
Lynores struggles to his feet, stumbling as he turns to inspect their surroundings. "What in the Abyss just happened? Where are we?" He asks no one in particular, walking about the beach and picking up whatever belongings appear to be his.
  #3  
Unread 3rd of April, 2004, 15:27
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.33 per day)
The wet priest slogs his way up the beach. With water pouring out of his armor, his burden becomes lighter, but without the enchantment of his air walking spell, he's become earth-bound. Once safely out of the breaking waves, Collin slumps face first into the dry sand. He blows a sand bubble from the corner of his mouth.

Resting in that position for a minute, he rolls over on his back and says, "Ugh, what the hell was that? Did I get the fiend? Half our mission is complete, right? We killed Batman and got the book..."

Upon mentioning the book, all traces of fatige vanish. He sits up and grabs his bag of holding. Opening it up, he reaches inside and grabs the book. Pulling it out, he clutches the hefty tome to his chest and sighs. Dropping back on his side, he gets some rest while gripping the book tightly.

"The answers can wait..."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #4  
Unread 4th of April, 2004, 03:40
Gnarsh's Avatar
Gnarsh
Banned Fool

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #26
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,293 (0.23 per day)
"We killed him? How can you be so sure? For all we know, it was his magic that sent us here, and he's back at his little cave plotting ways to get that book back as we speak."
  #5  
Unread 4th of April, 2004, 09:34
Seraphine's Avatar
Seraphine
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member: #551
Posts: 226 (0.05 per day)
Torin looks around and realizes that he hasn't seen Oscar yet. He frantically looks through his pack and the rest of his belongings to no avail. His fears are quelled however when he notices Oscar scurrying in the local foliage seeming to chase something.

"So we get thrown across the world again. Perhaps our higher ups were watching our progress and had plans that we were not told of. We nabbed the book, the mountain falls, and we are teleported again; seems a bit of a coincidence. But I'm just thinking aloud."

Torin looks up to the sky hoping he could tell what how much time has gotten passed since they've entered the cave. Hopefully when night falls he can see if they're still under the same stars.
__________________
"If I join the band, I might get some!"
-Trix Rabbit
  #6  
Unread 4th of April, 2004, 21:04
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (2.16 per day)
Gazing upwards at the sky the stars begin to fade out of view before Torin has a chance to work out anything useful from their arrangement. Dawn creeps across the landscape from the horizon obscured by the trees.

Watching the dawn slowly arrive it becomes ever more apparent that the team isn't near Kholtan anymore. The tall leafy trees are more than a shade exotic and not very much like the trees typically encountered on Ku'Zul. The rythmic sound of the ocean washing on the shore is disturbed by increasing amounts of birdsong, the sounds merge and contrast to form a general annoying background noise as occurs at dawn with any area teeming with birdlife
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #7  
Unread 7th of April, 2004, 02:11
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,806 (1.95 per day)
Tolven rolls over, grimacing at the gritty sand in his hair and which seems to have worked it's way into his clothing. Grakus settles down and the drow squats on his haunches, stroking the tiny ridges along his snout. He listens to the others with half an ear, for the moment appreciating the sounds of birds far more than the rapidly waxing sunlight. Shaking his hair out and wiping the worst of the sand from his body, he begins gingerly piecing together his belongings.

"He might teleport us to save the book but in that case, he need only have sent Collin. No, I do not believe Unknown had a hand in our departure, though I wouldn't be surprised if we hadn't seen the last of him. That spell he had around him was unfamiliar to me. It seems logical he gleaned it from the tome, and if that is true, I suspect it was probably quite powerful."
  #8  
Unread 7th of April, 2004, 03:04
Gnarsh's Avatar
Gnarsh
Banned Fool

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #26
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,293 (0.23 per day)
"Well, right now I think we have bigger problems than possibly seeing batboy again in the future. Collin! Can you divine our location? We'll also need a message sent back to base as quickly as possible."
  #9  
Unread 7th of April, 2004, 03:43
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.33 per day)
Sitting in the sand, Collin ignores his teammates as he fondles the book he claimed from Unknown. Running his fingers all over it, he caresses the spine and cover, tracing out patterns and images. Flipping the tome over, he coninutes to play with it until he turns it around and finally cracks it open.

After flipping through the first few pages, his attention is brought back to the present when asked about their location and whether he can send word back to headquarters. Looking up at the sky and then to Varidiir, he shakes his head negatively. "I'm sorry, but I can't do it, not right now. But I will as soon as I am able. Just leave me to the book, for it may contain some answers." He then returns to his studies.
  #10  
Unread 7th of April, 2004, 03:45
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (2.16 per day)
It doesn't take long for Collin to learn all he can from the book. It's empty. Each and every page is an aged blank sheet. No words appear in the book. No diagrams. No ink. Nothing except marks of age, a torn page here, a drip of wax there. But nothing when it comes to actual content
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #11  
Unread 7th of April, 2004, 04:53
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.33 per day)
Flipping one page at a time, Collin speeds up his page turning. Pretty soon he's tearing through the book as if turning the pages faster will bring back its contents. When he gets to the end, he slams the tome shut and with a mighty anguished scream, throws it to his left down the beach and into the sand.

"That flying rat bastard! There's nothing in there!" The priest has come unglued as he rattles off a string of vile curses at Unknown. "Flying rodent, may he choke on his own bat turds. That second rate sorcerer using parlor tricks, smoke and mirrors and flsh powder. He'd use a rabbit, but he's probably afraid it'll become demonic and eat guano filled ass."

Figuring it's time to pray, Collin sits on his knees to pray to the rising sun.

(OOC - New spell list coming soon.)
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #12  
Unread 7th of April, 2004, 05:12
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,806 (1.95 per day)
"So much for the virtue of patience."

Tolven watches the book tumble twice before it comes to rest, empty pages open and flipping idly in the breeze. He muses briefly on the possibilities before ambling after it and retrieving the tome. He turns a few empty pages himself, a slight grin on his ebony face.

The Big Book of Batman's Sorcery. Everything Unknown learned about Spellcraft. A Fiend's Theories on the Magical Art.

Amused at his imaginary titles, he nevertheless still thinks there might be something to learn from the book. If nothing else, he could use it as a backup spellbook. Stowing it with his other gear he watches Collin assume the position.

"This could take awhile. In the meantime, does anyone have sufficient woodcraft to identify the foliage? It might give us some clue as to our current location."
  #13  
Unread 7th of April, 2004, 05:14
Gnarsh's Avatar
Gnarsh
Banned Fool

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #26
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,293 (0.23 per day)
"...I'll take that as a 'Yes, Lynores, I'll get to work on finding where we are just as soon as I can.'" Lynores says to the priest, picking up some rocks and pitching them into the sea.
  #14  
Unread 8th of April, 2004, 17:45
Seraphine's Avatar
Seraphine
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member: #551
Posts: 226 (0.05 per day)
"I'll take a look, but I'll make no guarantees. This area is pretty unfamiliar territory." Torin takes a look at the area's plant life and fauna. From what he can make out, they're a long way from home at best. "Looks like we've along way to walk..."

Torin begins to gaver some wood and any seemingly edible berries or fruits. He leaves his rations where he lays the wood in case anyone's hungry. While walking around he also looks for a fresh water source, having one could prove a necessity.
__________________
"If I join the band, I might get some!"
-Trix Rabbit
  #15  
Unread 8th of April, 2004, 18:34
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.33 per day)
Following a good half hour of praying, the group's priest gets up from his meditations. Better rested and focused, Collin shakes his head at the question about where they are. "I've as much a clue as you do. But there is one thing I can do that you cannot, communicate our status to headquarters. The only thing is, what do we say? I think he's becoming tired of hearing us say he got away."

Rubbing the new growth of facial hair, Collin closes his eyes for a moment and suggests a new course of action. "I think I can divine where Unknown is, or at the very least, his general direction in relation to where we are. Not knowing his real name may prove to be problematic though."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #16  
Unread 8th of April, 2004, 20:59
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (2.16 per day)
Returning as Collin finishes his daily prayers, Torin has located several items which he believes to be edible. A number of fist sized, smooth-skinned green fruits, which were growing on a squat bush, several large and exotic roots and a number of large hard hairy brown nuts. No source of fresh-water seemed forthcoming in the immediate area, however the aforementioned nuts contain a thin sweet liquid which seems a safer bet them seawater.

The day has throughly taken hold of the beach now, the sky is mostly blue and the birdsong has faded to a less irritating level. With the new day comes the challenge of finding exactly what happened, where this beach is and what to do next...
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #17  
Unread 9th of April, 2004, 01:31
Gnarsh's Avatar
Gnarsh
Banned Fool

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #26
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,293 (0.23 per day)
"Just say we retrieved the book, we are unsure of Unknown's fate, and would appreciate it if they could send someone to find us and teleport us home," The tiefling says to Collin as he catches one of the nuts that Torin throws to him, using one of his horns to put a hole in it to drink the liquid inside. "Not bad. Doesn't taste like poison, at any rate."
  #18  
Unread 9th of April, 2004, 05:48
Seraphine's Avatar
Seraphine
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member: #551
Posts: 226 (0.05 per day)
Torin lays the out the findings on his blanket to keep them relativly clean of grit. "I'm sure they'd be glad to hear we have the book, but I'm also sure they wouldn't be very happy to hear that the pages are blank. Be it a magical concealment or not, I'm sure HQ is going to have a fit if our report is that our location is unknown, the Bat's location is unknown, and the book is possible a fake. Can anyone tell if those pages have any magical properties to them?"
__________________
"If I join the band, I might get some!"
-Trix Rabbit
  #19  
Unread 9th of April, 2004, 09:12
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.33 per day)
"The message I'll send will be something like; 'Unknown fled, we're in the tropics with a blank book, await further instructions'. Sound good to you?" The priest asks for confirmation.

As he waits, he's busy watching the group's new lieutenant. He watches as Torin fiddles with the native food and gets a little chuckle when asked if anyone can determine if the pages have any magical properties to them. "You were our magic expert that was assigned to us. Why don't you know? Why can't you perform something useful?" Getting a little angry, Collin snaps at their so-called superior officer, "Come to think of it, I don't think I saw you do anything useful while I was engaged with Batman. Was that because you were in the very back? Maybe hiding from the fiend's magics? You were toted to be our spearhead, a mage-killer and hunter, but there was nothing coming from you."

Collin sits back and says to his long-time teammates, "Let our fearless leader eat his nuts and berries. I'll provide us with some real food, water too."

(OOC - If needed, Collin can cast Create Food and Water, or just Create Water. His own provisions were stored in his bag of holding, so they should still be okay for consumption.)
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #20  
Unread 9th of April, 2004, 09:35
Gnarsh's Avatar
Gnarsh
Banned Fool

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #26
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,293 (0.23 per day)
"Yes, that message should be fine."
  #21  
Unread 9th of April, 2004, 10:46
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,806 (1.95 per day)
Reclined on the beach, paging through his own spellbook, Tolven leans on one elbow at the priest's report. As Collin's voice rises, so does one white eyebrow. Now might be a good time for the dark elf to speak up and dispel the tension. Of course, now might be an equally good time to wait and see how Torin reacts.

The drow absently turns another page as Grakus stretches his wings toward the sun.
  #22  
Unread 9th of April, 2004, 15:44
Seraphine's Avatar
Seraphine
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member: #551
Posts: 226 (0.05 per day)
Torin smiles, not taking any offense, or just not showing any. "Though the light must shine on every dogs rear, sometimes the shadows must fall even more dark. Though it seems my abilities were a bit exagerated along the way through the grapevine. I hunt magic users and thier minions, usually such simple magics such as those tenticles would not have hindered me so. I have to admit I've had a few other things on my mind lately. As for the tome before us, of course I can try to divine such information, however a book of this calibur is likely also to have had a spell placed on it to cover any magical signitures. I was hoping that someone else with more magical training than I had a better idea then simply tossing a low level spell at it."

Regardless of what he just spoke Torin still casts detect magic to check the book.
__________________
"If I join the band, I might get some!"
-Trix Rabbit
  #23  
Unread 9th of April, 2004, 19:12
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.33 per day)
Torin's response is quite puzzling to the priest, "Low level spell? What the hell are you talking about?" Waiving his hands in the air, Collin gestures defeat in that he doesn't care. "Fine whatever, don't need to know. Probably left over from your previous assigment. So, they put you with us and you were distracted. Next time you can focus better and we can nail our objective. I'm sure we'll cross his path again."

The priest collects all the waterskins in the group before creating food and water for everyone. With sustanance provided, he sits back down in the sand and calls out to Sacorn, informing him about their progress, or lack thereof. He also requests further instructions. "Unknown disappeared, we're in the tropics with a blank possibly fake book, await further instructions."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #24  
Unread 9th of April, 2004, 19:38
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (2.16 per day)
Torin regards the book aided by the magical insight of detect magic, first reactions reveal the book does have an aura, although Torin fails to gather any useful information about the nature of the aura. Rather than seperating into the distinctive magical schools and strengths, the aura remains muddy and thick.

Sat on the wet sand, the priest sends the message. The thought flows across the ethereal breeze and Collin watches the horizon as he awaits the angry reply of Sacorn. The seconds turn to minutes and it gradually becomes clear that there is no reply to the message
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #25  
Unread 10th of April, 2004, 10:23
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.33 per day)
Following several minutes of "prayer," Collin opens his eyes and looks around. Stretching, he stands and brushes the sand off his legs. "Well, we're to continue with out mission. We seem to be too far in advance of obtaining any resources, so we're on our own."

Taking some food, the priest eats breakfast and washes it down with some water. "Let's pack it up and find our way out of here. With any luck, Unknown is somewhere close by. Let's hope our mage-hunter can pick up the trail, if there's one to be found."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren