Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 6th of July, 2011, 07:32
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Member: #1798
Location: North And East, But Not Far Enough East to be French.
Booooooored (D20 Advances Hack and Slash?)

EDIT: So, we haven't even figured out all of how this game or the system is going to work so make sure you check the latest posts, I'll try to update this one with how things stand right now;
Using: D20 Advanced (D20^A) http://d20advanced.wikia.com/wiki/D20_Advanced_Wiki
Game will be PL 3, with 15CP and 25EP to build your character... characters can be drawn from different "Genre"... so far we potencially have a SciFi and a Magic... personally I'd like to see at least one "Marvel" style hero type and a "World of Darkness" style supernatural type... but I'm mostly open to discussion at this point:
Player Characters will need to choose a "Genre" http://d20advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Genre (and to a lesser extent an "Era" http://d20advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Campaign_Era ) and a "Role" http://d20advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Role_Descriptions

===Original Post:
SO, I have recently obtained a large amount of free time (my wife left me and took the kids and went to live with her parents... for 6 weeks so they can visit with the in-laws who are all coming to stay at the family cabin for the summer... I just couldn't take that much time off work).

Anyways, I figured I'd join a game on here... but the game I joined isn't managing to fill my quota of free time... so now I'm thinking I'll run a game.

I have plenty of ideas for a games but don't really feel like spending THAT much time on this, so I'm going to generate random dungeons and have players submit characters etc... it will give me some experience just "running a game" mechanically which is something I have been struggling with IRL... maybe a story will emerge while we're killing monsters and grabbing loot, I don't know, crazier things have happened.

Just to mix things up I was thinking about going Open D20... but like, any D20... so fantasy, modern, future, past... whatever... is there a unifying system somewhere?

Also, kinda open to discussion, co-GMing... I don't know...

Interest?

Last edited by SinbadEV; 7th of July, 2011 at 09:45.
Unread 6th of July, 2011, 07:57
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
D20 Advanced.
Unread 6th of July, 2011, 07:57
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Like this : http://d20advanced.a.wiki-site.com/i...p/D20_Advanced ?
Unread 6th of July, 2011, 07:58
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
Yep, that's the one.

Jackelope King wrote that system.
Unread 6th of July, 2011, 09:27
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Well, I've read chapter 1 and I don't see any reason NOT to use the system in question... so here's the pitch(partially recycled from another game I once ran):

You died, your corpse was "reclaimed" by Thaumco and now you are an indentured servant to their Human Resources department... given what you were in life they have decided you are well suited to the "acquisitions" department and will be tasked to collect loot and corpses from across the multi-verse in order to eventually pay back your debt and win your freedom.

The story starts with your team dropped into a world which pretty much resembles that of Nethack, D&D 4E or Lord of the Rings... at the entrance to a dungeon fortress that you know nearly nothing about other then that there is likely useful loot to be collected, monsters to slay and perhaps some kind of "big-bad" waiting at the bottom protecting something of value to Thaumco.

Characters can be drawn from across the multi-verse, I'm thinking of starting at PL1 and increasing when a player gains 15 character points. Everyone starts with 15 character points (based on my skimming you can convert 1 character point to 5 equipment points... so you'll need to equip yourself from the same pool.)
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 05:22
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #7805
I do love me some hack and slash. Question: when you say the characters are drawn from the multi-verse do you just mean the D20 series? or are you planning on letting in say a 3.5 or a 4th ed character as well?
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 05:36
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Well, if that's the only interest I get then maybe... but currently I'm thinking you would choose a D20 Advanced "Era" and "Genre" for your character to be from ( http://d20advanced.a.wiki-site.com/index.php/Genre and http://d20advanced.a.wiki-site.com/i...p/Campaign_Era ).

Looking at the way the D20 Advanced system is built you could likely remix a DnD 4e character from available components.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 07:14
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Just in case you wanted a little bit better presentation, Jackelope King did put together a PDF of d20advanced - http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.p...ducts_id=57088

If you have any questions on the system, while I didn't write it, I did do a fair bit of helping.

Oh, and I should also note that I'd be interested in playing, too. PL 1 is rough, but not impossible.

Last edited by Mercutio; 7th of July, 2011 at 07:23.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 07:19
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

sadly there are like 30 things on the list of stuff I would buy if I had $5.95 that are higher on the list then "a PDF of a game system I may not even get a game together for"... that said, I appreciate any help you feel like providing. edit: (Including "dinner"... I'm actually pretty hungry right now... and one can only eat so much Kraft Dinner, Mr. Noodle and Leftover Bacon)

First off, will cross genre games work?

Last edited by SinbadEV; 7th of July, 2011 at 07:22.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 07:50
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Understood about buying the PDF. Let me assure you that I have no financial interests, so I only suggested it because it's organized just a little bit better. But the wiki is indeed everything you need.

“ First off, will cross genre games work? ”
Yes, and PL limits are the reason why.

A damage effect at PL 1 will have an attack bonus limited to +1 and a damage of +1. It won't matter whether you use a sword or a pistol. The damage effect itself is identical behind the scenes. What differs would be the descriptors.

I would suggest starting at PL3, however, just to get a little bit more variation. I think it's also closer to what a starting D&D character is in 3rd edition. That said, don't feel like you have to adhere to 15 points per character level. It's far more fluid than it is a hard limit. You could to a PL3 character but limit it to 15 CP, if you wanted. That allows for attack/defense tradeoffs like +3/+3, +0/+6, or +5/+1, etc.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 08:14
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Is there any kind of community for this system where I could find additional stock characters etc?

Since I expect both me as the GM and most of the players to be unfamiliar with the system are there any existing "tools" for building characters/FX/NPCs?

Is it normal to expect players to equip their characters from their starting CP or would you usually also provide them with starting equipment points?

Back to game information... I expect that each "run" will take less then 12 hours of game time and you will be provided with something between Lembas bread and military style rations prior to the run so you won't go hungry... so if you are planning on drawing up a character don't bother packing a bed-roll or cooking supplies.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 08:36
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

“ Originally Posted by SinbadEV # you will be provided with something between Lembas bread and military style rations prior to the run so you won't go hungry... ”
Hurray! Free gruel!

Also I am now 100% interested after looking through the mechanics.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 08:37
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by SinbadEV # Is there any kind of community for this system where I could find additional stock characters etc? ”
No. It was supported at DragonAvenue before that crashed, and JK has been in med school with no real time. He's done some more work on an updated system, mostly for movement (using areas rather than actual speeds), but I'm not familiar with that.

“ Since I expect both me as the GM and most of the players to be unfamiliar with the system are there any existing "tools" for building characters/FX/NPCs? ”
The stock characters should help quite a bit for giving ideas, but as for actual tools besides the game rules? No. (EDIT - Except me, of course! And any of the play-testers who remember still.)

“ Is it normal to expect players to equip their characters from their starting CP or would you usually also provide them with starting equipment points? ”
In higher level games (PL10 is the usual starting point for Mutants and Masterminds and d20^), it's not as much of an issue because of how many CP you start with. Usually CP is used to buy starting equipment. However, there's nothing to indicate that you can't provide X number of free equipment points if you want. Since the effects are all limited by PL, it's not really unbalancing the way it would be in D&D. For example, you could do PL1 with 15 CP and a bonus 5 CP (25 EP) for use solely with equipment.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:00
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Okay, sounds good... pity about the lack of supplemental support, but maybe by running a game with it I can give back whatever we make.

So... I was going for a "Heroic" level of characters so a PL3, 15CP + 25EP sounds like a good bet...

@Captain Gavis: Glad to see some interest... any idea what genre and "role" you would be?

ideally I'd like 3-5 players I think, and ideally from different Genre's. I'm imagining we'ed still need to fill out traditional "roles" but they can be a World War II Medic, a Combat Mage, a Sniper and a Nightcrawler style mutant... rather then a Cleric, Fighter, Sorcerer and Rogue.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:11
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Not sure what I'll go for just yet although strongly magical characters have been my flavor of late (summoners, spell flingers, shifters, etc)

Edit: I would also note that this system appears to be a d20 spin of GURPS

Last edited by Captain Gavis; 7th of July, 2011 at 09:13.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:17
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

fwiw, I was considering a semi-futuristic fighter type with permanent growth (2 or 3) and some sort of weird laser sword (a regular sword with a descriptor), a laser blaster, and an armored jumpsuit.

Right now I can't find the character sheet JK made up. I'll keep looking (it was a non-editable PDF) because I think it's on my external hard drive.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:18
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

A reviewer noted that it was basically "Mutants & Masterminds Lite" at least as far as character building goes, with the rest of the mechanics borrowed from D20... I'm not really familiar with GURPS, D20 or M&M, heck, I've only really played D&D 3.5 and 4e so everything else is weird to me.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:21
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by Captain Gavis # Edit: I would also note that this system appears to be a d20 spin of GURPS ”
Are you familiar with Mutants and Masterminds? d20Advanced is mostly M&M 2nd Edition (post Ultimate Power), with more than a few changes, and the addition of some things from Iron Heroes and a few other systems.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:25
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

“ Originally Posted by Mercutio # fwiw, I was considering a semi-futuristic fighter type with permanent growth (2 or 3) and some sort of weird laser sword (a regular sword with a descriptor), a laser blaster, and an armored jumpsuit.

Right now I can't find the character sheet JK made up. I'll keep looking (it was a non-editable PDF) because I think it's on my external hard drive.
”
I didn't even know you were interested in playing

All PDFs are editable... you just need the right software... that said, a "text only" character sheet template would be best given that the game will be PbPost.

Is the following link the same D20 Advanced we've been discussing? http://d20advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Sheet
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:25
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

I have literally only glanced through a MM book for about 3 minutes total
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:26
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Yes. Apparently my Google-Fu was weak. Although that is a VERY new character sheet that doesn't even remotely resemble the original one he wrote in 2007/2008.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:32
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Wow, that whole wiki at wikia is FAR better organized and designed, and has some updated stuff that I haven't seen either.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:42
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

So, looking at the revised version I deffinitely think we'll need at least the Fortune and FX Modules... since I'm raw on this, what Modules do you think we should include Mercutio
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:49
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Hmm. I'm not familiar with the Roles Module, but all the other Character Core should be in. And after a quick read of Roles, it just seems more like an aid to building than a different module. As for the others, I'd avoid Taint, and I don't think the Reputation or Dramatic Interaction are necessary for a straight dungeon crawl type of game.

Wow! I'm glad to see Jackelope hasn't abandoned this, because I really really liked it. Seeing that it's still active and working is awesome. There's all sorts of crap he's done since he first started and asked for help 4 years ago.

Last edited by Mercutio; 7th of July, 2011 at 09:56.
Unread 7th of July, 2011, 09:59
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Okay, so all Character Modules are in (unless we get an argument against them), Basic Combat, Combat Dice, Maneuvers and Environments Action Modules... I imagine that there might be a place for the Dramatic Module down the line... maybe the "big bad" tries to convince you not to kill him or something... but assume it's out along with Taint and Reputation as "Not Applicable"