Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 25th of July, 2010, 07:57
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7929
Through the Wicked Thorns (Changeling: the Lost)

I've recieved such demand for a Changeling: the Lost game that, despite initial uncertainty, I've decided to solidify my interest and dedication to a forth-coming Lost chronicle. Anyone interested in applying for it should post their intent here, and supply me with the following details:
  • Character Statistics
  • Background
  • Physical Description (Mien and Mask) and Personality Summary
  • Sample Post involving the Character, detailing some part of his/her Background
Each character is to be made using the standard Character Creation method found in the World of Darkness rulebook. Merits and Contracts can be taken from other rulebooks, with my approval. Each player then has 35 experience points to spend on their character (for my benefit, please note on your application where you spent these points). You can choose to keep these points in standby for later use, if you wish.

The game will be set in the city of Manchester, England. Changeling numbers in the city have lessened of late, due to accident and design, and the Freehold's on edge. The Summer Court's vigilance has done little to change things, despite their best efforts; Motleys are becoming more common, as Changelings seek to better their chances at survival through sheer numbers.

Other things worth keeping in mind: I intend on using the Increased Wound Penalties rule mentioned in the previous Changeling thread (and in the Armory Reloaded rulebook); I'm looking for a maximum of five players, though I might have more if the concepts are really good.

As always, I expect any applicant to my game to be able to post an average of 250+ words; players who post more, and offer more detail and flavour, will earn additional experience points.

More details will come in time. I don't intent on requesting the board for this game until Star Wars, my third game, is up and running, but it's worth planning ahead now. After my other games are settled into, I'll look to getting this one up and running.

Any questions, post them here and I'll get back to them as soon as I can.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 28th of July, 2010 at 20:21.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 12:43
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #1407
Yeah, I'm interested, will work on getting the character to you.
Unread 25th of July, 2010, 23:55
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

I note a sudden lack of enthusiasm from everyone who previously wanted the game up. I jest.

Feel free to get the concept to me AoM, and we'll talk through it. I'd advise you, and any other players who aren't English, to look into English law and culture a little more to make the game more authentic. Our gun laws, for example, are very strict, and you can only get one through highly illegal means, or through joining a gun club (though you can't take the guns away with you); knives are much more prominent.

Bump.

BRR Edit: I merged these for hopefully obvious reasons. Also, still with the font nonsense? Really?
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 12:43
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
Wait a second.

We have bumping on these boards?!
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 13:01
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
No, we consider that posting for the sole purpose of increasing your post total. If however someone were to post saying "Hey guys, I'm just posting to check if anyone else is interested before this starts" or something like that, it isn't bumping. Complete sentences.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 13:15
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Gun laws aside is there anything us foreigners should know about what sets Manchester apart from other cities in England, aside from the funny accents and that football team of theirs? Things like staple industries, real life local politics, and maybe even local legends that have to do with fae or magic?
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 15:24
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Originally Posted by Shakespeare # I note a sudden lack of enthusiasm from everyone who previously wanted the game up. I jest.
All I can offer is my continuing belief that I may find enough time to play... theoretically... in 2013.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 18:46
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Originally Posted by AoM # Gun laws aside is there anything us foreigners should know about what sets Manchester apart from other cities in England, aside from the funny accents and that football team of theirs? Things like staple industries, real life local politics, and maybe even local legends that have to do with fae or magic?
1) They have two football teams
2) It's the second largest city in England depending on where you count the edge of a city (Manchester and Birmingham fight about this)
3) It was a cotton town
4) The IRA bombed it in the 90's.The urban redevelopment since the bombing has made it much nicer, so nobody really minds (Especially as we had enough warning to clear everybody out)
5) The BBC are being moved up there in drips and drabs
6) If by funny accent you mean the "Oasis" accent, then I'm sorry, but that's not what people sound like.

These are my top six Manchester facts.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 19:26
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Sorry, I meant to write more than bump, but the post was sent pre-emptively, and it being very early in the morning my time I felt very little desire to edit the message to it's entirity.

The message was supposed to read:

"Bump.

To the players who've sent me their information: I might have lost some of your messages in the recent cleaning of my Inbox. So if I don't get back in touch with you, that's probably why."

Also, regarding the font: I thought I'd settle on one single font, one that was easy to read and all. According to those I've asked, Arial is fine, and I've been using it since gaining the Mass Effect board (save in my personal games, and that's purely for amospheric and appearance reasons), so I don't really see the "nonsense" part, or the problem. But if you want me to resort to the default font outside of my games, then sure; otherwise, I planned on sticking with Arial.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 20:36
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Originally Posted by AoM # Gun laws aside is there anything us foreigners should know about what sets Manchester apart from other cities in England, aside from the funny accents and that football team of theirs? Things like staple industries, real life local politics, and maybe even local legends that have to do with fae or magic?
Not many local legends that spring to mind (at least, nothing that I myself won't be making up for game purposes), but I suppose it's worth mentioning that North-Western England is particularly fond of Boggarts and ghosts as paranormal creatures. The Boggart, particularly, is Fae-related.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 21:19
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Originally Posted by Shakespeare # Also, regarding the font: I thought I'd settle on one single font, one that was easy to read and all. According to those I've asked, Arial is fine, and I've been using it since gaining the Mass Effect board (save in my personal games, and that's purely for amospheric and appearance reasons), so I don't really see the "nonsense" part, or the problem. But if you want me to resort to the default font outside of my games, then sure; otherwise, I planned on sticking with Arial.
I just don't understand why. It's generally regarded as bad form on the internet, a bit like if I chose to type all of my posts in a font-size larger or smaller. You deviate from the norm for effect within a post, having a personal offset is just weird.

Regardless, we're getting off-topic here. Standard forum etiquette applies here. I suppose you can harmlessly ignore it if you like, but you have to understand that it makes a bad impression.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 21:29
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Then I shall keep to Verdana outside of my forums. Apologises for any difficulties caused by my annoying habit.

And on topic: I think I've got my first player ready for approval. Just got to double check stats, and then I'm 1/4 to 1/5 of the way towards a full Motley.

Addendum: A few kinks aside, I've got my first player -- an Ogre of the Spring Court. That's one down, four/five more to go.

Actually, on the topic of player numbers, I'm comfortable just grabbing three members, if interest in the game isn't what it was. 3-5 is the min/max for this game, and when I reach that threshold I'll begin working on getting the game moving; if Star Wars hasn't been sorted by that time, then I'll get this game up first, and work on the sci-fi as my fourth game when this RPG is settled into.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 26th of July, 2010 at 22:00.
Unread 26th of July, 2010, 22:11
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Cool. And now I play the waiting game...
Unread 27th of July, 2010, 02:26
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
I'm really interested but I worry that I'm getting overcomitted. I may still pt something together. I've never played. C:tL but I'm familiar with New WoD.

I'll look over the book. If you get more active ones i'll just lurk tho.
Unread 27th of July, 2010, 09:09
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7487
I'm still interested. I'm still gonna put my Darkling Antiquarian Autumn Court guy together.

Gonna wait until I get home and get started!

Unread 27th of July, 2010, 14:53
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

I sent in a concept for a Beast Raver/Druggie Spring Court. I've got a Manikan Toymaker in my pocket too, in case someone's already working on a Beast....
Unread 27th of July, 2010, 15:04
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

I haven't heard of a beast concept yet, and it'd be nice to have a fellow Spring Court in the mix, considering other players have chosen Autumn. What type of animal(s) does your Beast emulate?
Unread 27th of July, 2010, 16:08
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Winged Monkey.

He's kinda messed up. He's the climber kith, but kinda wishes he were the winged.
Unread 27th of July, 2010, 19:10
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Going to give my PMs a look asap.
Unread 28th of July, 2010, 20:18
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Got my second character concept through, which we're working out the kinks in/finalising and such.

AoM: Given that Ergonomic Cat is going to be playing in the same Court as you, and that he was rescued shortly after his return from the Hedge by a changeling (maybe Jillian?), I'd suggest that you both talk through your concepts, and Cat could feed off of what I've already okayed for you.

Just make sure you don't give too much away about your sheets. Maybe just hint at what categories you've put what set of dots in (Mental, Physical, and Social), so that we're not as likely to get duplicates as we otherwise would.

Up to you both, but it's worthy of consideration.
Unread 28th of July, 2010, 23:22
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

I've sent Ergonomic Cat a PM with a little overview.
Unread 29th of July, 2010, 10:02
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

The Manchester City Library will be the main meeting ground for the Autumn Court of Manchester, England. The main headquarters of the other Courts, and other relevent information, will be added in time.
Unread 29th of July, 2010, 10:41
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7487
I'm gonna get to my character asap, but I'm feeling pretty sick today. Went out drinking with some mates from back home and got completely tanked. I woke up in a friggin' graveyard.

Anyway, I'll be good to go tomorrow.

Unread 29th of July, 2010, 10:50
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

No worries Croaker. I've only had two proper applications through so far, and only one of those has been approved (the other's incomplete), so you're not in a huge rush. I've still got a minimum of two places left (three to five characters in total).
Unread 30th of July, 2010, 08:16
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Getting more information down from my second player; if any of the previous players who showed interest in the game still want in, I advise them to get stats to me as soon as possible, since I'll be fishing for a board when I get three characters.

An additional note -- I'll be using some old English ranks and titles in this game for jobs such as sheriff and seneschal. Such titles include: Freeman, Yeoman, Esquire, Knight, Baron, Earl, Marquis, Duke, etc. I'll be working out the details more, but it's just a small note.

I'd advise my current two players -- Cat and AoM, though the former's still being tweaked -- to discuss a few details between them, particularly about Jillian and her sudden disappearance (since you're both her followers, and are both in Spring Court). It's not 100% essential, but since your characters are linked in some way, it might be worth doing.