Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > S P A C E (Weird GURPS Sci-Fi)

Unread 2nd of February, 2008, 10:09
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
You pop it open. There's a nice letter, mostly boilerplate, from Dr. Pietrov, discussing the Novastar project, etc. etc.

Wait - Novastar? What happened to NOVA? It certainly sounds like a related entity. The letter's not the same, and the way it's worded you are pretty sure that the writer is not a native english speaker (it helps that English is not your first language).

This assignment, apparently, will be more or less permanent (looks like you got drafted, mate), and you have been relocated to Vladivostok, Primorsky, Russia.

Russia is so annoyingly big that it's hard to determine locations for places, and you really don't know your geography too well. You could be on the coast, or you could be in the middle of the country. You really do not know.

Your duties, though are outlined.

Site Duty - Mechanic, Excavation
Compound Duty - Mechanic, R&D

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 2nd of February, 2008, 11:13
Outlawjc
Mohrg

Member: #2785
"Well it looks like I'm going to be with both of you... Mechanic both places and excavation for my site and then R&D for my Compound Duty."

I look up to gague their reactions to what I got assigned too.

Well well I get to be with both of them and it appears I'll get to see martha's skills after all.
Unread 2nd of February, 2008, 11:41
Chris Chandler

Svetlana frowns when she hears that you won't be right next to her for compound duties.

I can only assume that they've taken our... situation into account?

Situation? Whatcher on about?

We've, well - you want to explain it?

Svetlana looks to you expectantly.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 2nd of February, 2008, 13:11
Outlawjc
Mohrg

With a sigh...

"Well have a little problem with that we can't be too far apart. The reasoning might sound strange but maybe not; we have something left over from the NOVA project that was insurance that we wouldn't run from the place that we were at. In essence we can't be farther than 40 yards or we will start feeling the effects and any farther well it could be bad for the both of us. I am guessing they would know about it though Svetlana and that your patrol won't be too far from the R&D, but then again you never know. Wish they were abit more detailed with where we are going."

I take a huge breath after saying all of that...

Unread 2nd of February, 2008, 13:30
Chris Chandler

Svetlana nods, though her brow is furrowed. Martha looks incredulous.

Nova? Just Nova? No idea what that might be, 'less yer talking about Novastar in shorthand... Patrol means gettin' in one of my vehicles and heading out off the compound - way farther than 40 yards. Might want to talk 'bout that with Dr. Pietrov.

Unread 2nd of February, 2008, 14:14
Outlawjc
Mohrg

"We might want to do that now before you have to go on patrol Svetlana unless we want an unspeakable to happen... and the bad thing is I can't remove them they arn't a type of metal most likely they are just straight carbon and I can't pull out material just yet.

And yes just Nova Martha it is a bad thing and I don't know if we should be talking about it in here maybe in private but definitely not in a public place. I could tell you later if you really want to know about what is going on.

But yea Svetlana we really need to find someone before you go on patrol."

I have a serious look and I'm looking around to make sure no one is listening in or trying to be subtle about listening.
Unread 3rd of February, 2008, 08:10
Chris Chandler

Luckily someone finds you.

Dr. Pietrov approaches.

Good evening everyone. I trust the beds were springy and unsupportive?

He smiles good-naturedly.

I see that you've taken a look at your assignment. If I understand it correctly, your, shall I say, last host, informed you of some sort of condition - a virus, or something similar?

Unread 4th of February, 2008, 07:06
Outlawjc
Mohrg

I raise a brow at the guy and then nod

"Yes they did say something to that effect though I have not tried to test to see if it is true or not. But supposedly we aren't able to go beyond 40 yards with out some sort of repercussion. Unless somehow the virus or what ever it is has been destroyed we are in a slight pickle."

I look to Svetlana with a half smile, half this might not be good smile. Then I give a glance toward Martha then back to the Doc.

Last edited by Outlawjc; 4th of February, 2008 at 07:09.
Unread 5th of February, 2008, 07:53
Chris Chandler

So I see. Svetlana, by my watch -

He very quickly glances at his watch -

You are late for patrol. Be a good devochkaand meet up with Miss Smythe and Mr. Davidovich. They'll get your gear.

He looks back toward you, Ben, but not before glancing at Martha and giving her a tiny little smirk -

And you sir, you're needed in the shop! Martha, I understand that the commons are a comfortable spot for orientation, but surely your new mechanic will need to see his tools, yes? Off with you both, now go. And no more talk of nano-viruses and other insidious plots to keep you cowed. My goodness and the very thought.

He turns on a heel without even the thought of someone wanting to discuss the issue with him.

Martha looks toward Svetlana, then to you -

So... he thinks it's all gash, then. All right, come on you. Let's head to the ol' Shop, if'n yer head doesn't explode, right?

Svetlana, for her part, stands, but uneasily, and gives you a worried look before heading off. She glances back just before she heads through the door, pulling her hood over her head.

Unread 5th of February, 2008, 08:42
Outlawjc
Mohrg

When Svetlana give me the look I nod and give a worried smile. Once she leaves I stand,

"Sure lets get going this will either kill us or make us more confident. Lead the way I'll follow your 'tail'."

I wink at Martha then chuckle a little,

Damn it, if this kills me I want to at least go in a good way. Though he does bring up a good point we have yet to test the whole situation out guess now is better then never... *Gulp*
Unread 6th of February, 2008, 04:20
Chris Chandler

She gives you a nice wink just before she gets ready to head out. You both move to a rather large building, with large bay doors, four of them. You enter in through a small side door.

So, the Shop is pretty nice, all things considered. It's a fully stocked auto shop, with two hydraulic lifts, an expensive assortment of power tools, as well as a wall covered with hand tools. It looks like you could fix, or build, pretty much anything that could fit through the bay doors, which could include a fair-sized plane.

Y'lookin' pretty good fer a dead guy walkin', don'tcha think? Now, to it - there's a rover comin' in with a blown axle. That's you, got it? I'm rebuildin' this engine. You can come on with that once the axle's done. After lunch we'll head to the site, okay? Look around an' get cozy. You've got about 10 minutes.

Unread 6th of February, 2008, 16:10
Outlawjc
Mohrg

"Not too bad yourself for a monkey without a tail" I smile, "I'll stop with the monkey jokes I'm done now."

I look around the shop and wonder somewhat about if they removed the viruses or if it never existed.

"I've fixed axles in my sleep, and engines are not problem as well this shouldn't be too hard; especially since I don't have to make my tools or parts since it looks light everything I will ever need is in this building."

I turn in a circle as I talk my eyes looking at all the tools then when I get around to her I stop on her and smile once more. For the remainder of my time until the rover arrives I'll gather some of the tools that I know I will need such as jacks, axle puller, and the parts that I'll need for the repair I want tot try and finish it as quick as I can while still doing a good job.
Unread 7th of February, 2008, 02:38
Chris Chandler

You can tell that she is watching you, and she smiles as she sees you on top of your game. The rover (take an old Hummer - the HUMV military vehicle, give it 6 wheels instead of 4, and give it a bigger payload) comes in with a blast of frigid air (even with a blower trying to keep it out), clearly limping. The center axle is out of commission, though, as a testament to the vehicle, it managed to make it back here without a tow.

When you started digging for parts, you noted that there was basically a small warehouse of parts in a second (much colder) area of the shop. There are enough parts here to build four rovers from scratch, and still have leftovers for what clearly are common problems (such as your axle). You'll note some unusual hardware in here, as well - vehicle mounts, armor plate, no weapons per se, but certainly whatever you'd need to mount, from an light machine gun to anti-aircraft, to one of those rovers, or another vehicle.

You lift the rover up and take a look. The axle is bent bad in one spot, which led to some shearing close to the wheel. It's in bad shape. It will completely break if it's still used, even if you can get it straightened out. The good news is that you don't have to fix it. You can replace it.

Let's see a good Mechanic roll (make sure to list your skill too, please).

Unread 7th of February, 2008, 03:31
Outlawjc
Mohrg

With a crack of my knuckles or at least the motion I start the process.

Skill
Mechanic-13
roll of: 6
Unread 8th of February, 2008, 12:26
Chris Chandler

It's slower going than you would hope, seeing as you are by yourself, but the tools help alot. You pull it out and and get the replacement in with relatively little trouble. The real trick is dealing with the suspension, as you're unfamiliar with this particular type. It doesn't take too long, though, and it's finished. You lower the rover, and give it a quick test. Good job!

Do you go ahead and help out Martha, or do something else?

Unread 8th of February, 2008, 17:19
Outlawjc
Mohrg

Yea I go see if Martha needs any help with the engine. And gauge her reaction on my rebuild.

"So need anything else?"
Unread 9th of February, 2008, 02:27
Chris Chandler

Well, here - take a look.

She has the engine on a block - it's a big gas powered monster, and pretty modern.

There's a problem wi' th'cooling system, and I'm worried that it might broke somethin' in the block. Whaddya think?

Unread 9th of February, 2008, 05:17
Outlawjc
Mohrg

I'll take a close look at the block to see if I see any cracks or anything that looks like a potential crack.
Unread 9th of February, 2008, 08:04
Chris Chandler

((clearly, let's see a mechanic's roll here))

Unread 9th of February, 2008, 10:17
Outlawjc
Mohrg

skill 13

roll-8
Unread 9th of February, 2008, 12:49
Chris Chandler

You don't really see much of anything that might indicate a cracked block, or another way the cooling system might leak into the engine proper.

Martha shrugs -

I don't either, which worries me. Ima not gonna use this block - we'll break it down proper, but tomorrow. Let's clean 'er up, then get ready for lunch.

Unread 9th of February, 2008, 13:07
Outlawjc
Mohrg

"Sure better safe than sorry. So what brought you to where ever this place is Martha?"
Unread 10th of February, 2008, 12:21
Chris Chandler

You'll need to put a few pints in me for that answer, cutie. C'mon, let's clean up an' see what's up for lunch.

Unread 10th of February, 2008, 18:20
Outlawjc
Mohrg

I'll raise a brow and smile,

"I'll make a note of that. so um where exactly is the washroom?"

I'll look around the shop hoping that I do not have to go outside covered in grease and oil nothing like frozen oil and grease to give the frostbite some flavor...

Last edited by Outlawjc; 10th of February, 2008 at 18:21. Reason: hoping not hopping ><
Unread 12th of February, 2008, 07:36
Chris Chandler

((sorry, thought I'd posted this already))

There's a sink here in the shop, and she'll join you with scrubbing up.

This uses up a bit o' yer water ration, so don't be persnickety 'bout getting under the fingernail and such. That's good.

You both dry up, bundle up, and head back over to the common area.