Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Unread 21st of February, 2007, 00:04
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.78 per day)
"Hey, pony express! Maybe stagger the griffon riders so they can sprint and then drop to the ground while the next sprints. Hopefully, in short sprints the griffons can keep ground on the dragon. It would be like the stories they tell young halflings of the race between the human and the halfling. A group of identical quintuplet halflings spread themselves out over the race course. As the human beat the first halfling and he dropped behind out of sight, the haughty human slowed down thinking he had the race won easily. Suddenly a halfling would pop out onto the trail just ahead of the human. This was repeated until the last 20 yards of the race, and the last halfling sprinted to the finish and won. All the time the human thought he raced just one halfling."
  #77  
Unread 21st of February, 2007, 02:58
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.54 per day)
Kierna laughs at Linus' suggestion.

"That is one of the strangest halfling stories I've ever heard. It might work, though."
  #78  
Unread 21st of February, 2007, 08:02
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.33 per day)
"Yes, a good story isn't it? It reminds me of another. Cody the dragonslayer, well, what a brilliant young halfling he was! He tricked a dragon into thinking it was ill and needed medicine, while he fed it poison. With his buddies, he convinced it was shrinking and would up dropping the whole cavern on him, while sneaking the creature's treasure out the whole time. Brilliant guy, he was. Anyway, if there's one thing halflings are known for, it's our bravery. We might not be the greatest warriors, but woe to any who underestimate us!"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #79  
Unread 21st of February, 2007, 08:37
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj frowns and looks slightly peeved at hearing his mistake and remains quiet for a while. When they begin speaking of the dragon he frowns.

"I do not think that they would let such a valuable resource simply wander far enough away for us to take care of it... perhaps a covert mission might be better, we sneak into there camp, kill the dragon, and escape? Get it while it is sleeping?"
  #80  
Unread 21st of February, 2007, 11:19
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Fugen shakes his head at the suggestions for taking on a dragon. Said creature would be far more dangerous than the basilisk, or anything else they had encountered. The battle plan would probably be far better served by distracting the dragon rather than using a large part of their already limited resources to defeat it.

Jotting down a note, Fugen asks if the army has access to a reasonable quantity of gold and gems, and the ability to create a large quantity of fake gold and gems.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #81  
Unread 21st of February, 2007, 12:19
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
6:12B San Aikou

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:12B San Aikou

Termix discretely corrects Kierna. "Actually white dragons breathe frost instead of fire."

The executive officer reads Fugen's note and shakes his head. "We have little cash. In fact, we are financing our logistics with letters of credit. I'm not sure how we could create a fake treasure, especially overnight."

In response to Flarrgj's comment, one of the staff officers comments "You are correct. Colonel San Aikou has avoided risking the dragon. He hasn't sent it against us on our march. On the other hand, dragons are willfull creatures. It isn't a servant."

Termix, Kierna, and Gizerak recognize the name of the enemy commander. they met San Aikou two months earlier. Not only did they meet him, they humiliated him by taking him hostage to escape from the Aikou fortress, leaving him hog-tied in the underground passages.



OOC:
Termix takes 10 on know arcana. That is not enough for 10+the dragon's HD, but I reason that a dragon's breath weapon is more common knowledge than that- no more than DC20. So good enough.

Last edited by crueldespot; 21st of February, 2007 at 12:25.
  #82  
Unread 21st of February, 2007, 14:29
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.33 per day)
"Well, in my guild days, there were many situations where a force of a few individuals had to go up against hundreds of foes at once. I recommend an infiltration team be sent in prior to battle and try to take out the enemy leaders. If they lose their officers, then the lower ranked troops wont fight as effectively, and they will fight as small groups as opposed to one massive force."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #83  
Unread 22nd of February, 2007, 05:05
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj looks up and nods.

"Agreed, this we could do!"
  #84  
Unread 22nd of February, 2007, 05:09
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Jotting another note, Fugen requests to see the maps the army has of the territory between them and Marek Hoi.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #85  
Unread 22nd of February, 2007, 06:44
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"I do not know the specifics of warfare on this scale. Perhaps though, if you could give us the insights that you and your advisors have, we could give our input and find ways to add to it?"

"Whatever course we choose, I will be there. I knew many halflings in Merak Xi. When I was stationed at the Temple of Stone in Merak Hoi, I made constant trips to the village and made many friends as we help tend the earth. I must see that they are freed."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #86  
Unread 22nd of February, 2007, 15:27
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:12C Commander of the Griffon Riders

The heaquarters has maps of both Zhong Jian province, where they are currently located, as well as Merak Hoi to the East. They provide copies of both maps to Fugen.

"We believe that Colonel San Aikou is in the village of Merak Xi. One of his subordinate commanders is in charge of the force encamped to the east of the village."

The commander of the Griffon riders is discouraged that the henchmen are reconsidering their plan to attack the dragon. "That dragon has killed three of my riders. I would be proud to help in its destruction. I could not outrun him for long, so you would have to wait nearby- perhaps half a mile from the enemy camp. We'll agree on a barn or farmhouse and I will duck in there as if to evade it while it is on my heels. When it pursues me into the building, you could lock it in and spring the ambush, and I would help in the fight. Maybe it could work."

"You underestimate the dangerousness of a dragon" argues another officer."It may be only the size of a bear, but it is cunning and lethal."

The colonel replies to Gizerak with condolences. "Your sect has suffered under the occupation. The outcast priest Bon Qho returned with the Aikou forces, claiming that Sha-gaat favored them. The Aikou rulers places Bon Qho in charge of the church. Of course, the church leaders argued vehemently, but Bon Qho purged them. Lord Aikou may have thought that a church endorsement would give him legitimacy, but backing Bon Qho has only enraged the halflings against him."



OOC:


Last edited by crueldespot; 22nd of February, 2007 at 15:46.
  #87  
Unread 23rd of February, 2007, 12:11
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Hmm... The current positions of the two armies practically ensures that the main part of any battle will take place across the Xi Stream and will likely be over Merak Xi. If we could keep Akiou convinced of that, and yet shift where we attack from to the north or south we might be able to flank him and gain the advantage. Larger armies are harder to move, after all.

Toying with a few ideas, Fugen jots a note for the Griffon commander asking him if the dragon were no longer an issue, could he keep Akiou's attention on the 5th regiment's current location, even if most of the 5th regiment weren't actually there.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #88  
Unread 23rd of February, 2007, 13:34
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:12D Options

The Captain of Griffon Riders answers "They haven't used the dragon for reconnaisance. They seem to be saving it for the main battle, and it wards off our reconnaisance. They have their own aerial reconnaisance riders and conventional land scouts to keep track of our movements."

The colonel regards the map and remarks "Their disposition is intended to force us into a choice. Our first option is to siege Merak Xi. If we do, the siege should require enough time to allow their field army to move around and flank us while we are assaulting the walls. The other option is to avoid Merak Xi and engage their main force. In that case, their army in Merak Xi will sally forth to attack us from the rear. Is there another option? or a way to confound their plans for either of these two options? They aren't expecting the golem. How can we employ it to best effect?"
  #89  
Unread 24th of February, 2007, 02:36
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
That's a false choice, Fugen thinks, though he restrains himself from responding so undiplomatically. Merak Xi only enters the picture if one assumes that the 5th regiment must attack from here. If we can shift the battle site, Merak Xi will be out of the picture. To the south, we would be bracketed by the mountians. Good in some respects, not so good in others. Now what about the north...

Signing to Gizerak, Fugen asks the halfling what he knows about the temple of Sha-Gaat in terms of it's layout and ability to be fortified. He also asks Gizerak to find out what the army knows about the disposition of Akiou's troops around the temple.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #90  
Unread 27th of February, 2007, 02:50
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
"The Temple of Stone is not a great fortress, though it has some defenses. As its name infers, it is made entirely from stone, raised by the power of the King of the North Mountain."

"There are four main buildings, arranged in a square. Each contains rooms for up to thirty disciples and stands several stories tall. Within each building is also a cistern that contains a link to the Baron's realm. In the center of the buildings is a large dirt circle surrounded by a short stone wall. This is where most of our rituals were held. The whol complex is surrounded by a stone wall, ten feet high. There are four openings in the wall, none that contain a gate and each is nearly twenty feet wide. Outside the wall, the acolytes of the Four Royals tend fields in order to feed themselves."

"If I recall, Bon Qho had his quarters in the northeast building, and I imagine he took them again. How he gains favor with Sha-gaat I know not. He had struck out against the other leaders of the Temple after my naming ceremony. Hopefully he hasn't caused to much harm to the other students at the temple."

"While I think the temple would offer a bit of defense were the army to make a stand there, it in no way can hold an army of this size. Although I would gladly like to see Bon Qho unseated from his power at the Temple of Stone, I don't know if it would help us to station there. I don't know how much sway he has with the other disciples of Sha-gaat, and would worry that Aikou's army would catch us unaware as we assaulted the temple."

Of course, you are much more knowledgable in the ways of war, so perhaps you can see the situation better."

After explaining the layout of the temple, Gizerak ask the Colonel for troop deployments of Aikou's forces near the temple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temple of stone.jpg (58.7 KB, 5 views)
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---

Last edited by trendel; 27th of February, 2007 at 02:52.
  #91  
Unread 27th of February, 2007, 15:01
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
6:13 The Colonel Decides

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:13 The Colonel Decides

An advisor answers Gizerak “There are patrols here and there throughout the province, but we’ve heard Bon Qho has his own hired guards”

The Colonel gazes at the maps. “I thank you all for your counsel. Now I must decide.” He takes a sip of wine, closes his eyes, and meditates. The assembled advisors are scrupulously quiet so they do not disturb him. After a few minutes, he opens his eyes.

“I believe that the dragon is the decisive element for our victory. We were preparing to endure its onslaught during the battle, for there is no chance we could defeat it in the air. If the dragon were eliminated, our victory would be assured. The enemy morale would plummet. With the golem and the elephants, we would carry the day.”

“The Imperial Courier is prudent. He knows it would be too brave for Golock’s henchmen to fight the dragon alone. I will send our chief priest, and our greatest griffon riders to join them. They will take shelter in a building half a mile from the enemy camp- a barn or farmhouse. Captain Fei Xing Yuan…” the colonel indicates the commander of the Griffon riders “…will bait the dragon, and make a show of seeking refuge in the building when he cannot outrun it.” He regards the henchmen with a level gaze. “You will trap the dragon inside and kill it. The battle will be over before any reinforcements from the enemy camp can arrive.”

“If this stratagem works, it will turn the tide. If it fails, our balance of power will be no worse than it is now. Either way, tomorrow our army will depart from the road and cross through the forest to ford the stream well north of Merak Xi. We will circle around to cut off the enemy army and prevent them from retreating. I seek a decisive engagement that will prevent the Aikou faction from re-deploying their army elsewhere.”

“Followers of Golock, I thank you for your gracious service to the Emperor.” The colonel bows.

Captain Fei Xing Yuan nods. “We should leave soon. It is already night. If we are to succeed in this plan, it must be before morning.”
  #92  
Unread 27th of February, 2007, 15:08
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.33 per day)
"Very well, but how should I be of use to you? I am no warrior."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #93  
Unread 28th of February, 2007, 03:09
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
"A killing blow may be struck by a dagger just as well as a sword." Flarrgj informs the halfling.
  #94  
Unread 28th of February, 2007, 04:11
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.54 per day)
Kierna walks over to Captain Fei Xing Yuan before the griffon rider has a chance to take off again.

"Excuse me, Captain...is there anything resembling a magic arsenal in this army for the elite units? I have been thinking of purchasing an enchanted bow for some time, but I haven't had the means or the venue to do so. I actually am not sure even now if I have the necessary coin for one, but if one were lent to me it would greatly enhance our chances at slaying the dragon. I have heard their hides are resilient."
  #95  
Unread 28th of February, 2007, 23:13
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
The captain considers this seriously. "Indeed. All of the griffon riders use magical bows, but they are short riding bows, not big infantry bows like yours. I think I could get someone to loan you a bow that is enchanted, but it would still not be a strong as they bow you now pull. Wait...I have an idea." He gets the attention of the henchmen and asks them to meet him near the headquarters in half an hour.

He returns to the meeting with a quiver of 30 arrows. "These enchanted arrows were donated by the company of archers, with their compliments." He presents them to Kierna. He is accompanied by another griffon rider, a middle-aged priest of the Celestial Pantheon and a militia champion both in full plate armor, and four scouts on horses.

"My fellow griffon-rider and I will join you in the battle, and so will Father Mushi and Guanjun here" he indicates the priest and militia champion. "These fine scouts will lead the way so that we can find a good ambush site near the enemy camp without being detected, and they will serve as lookouts. We also have these..." He passes around a bag filled with vials of liquid. "These potions will help protect us from the cold breath of the dragon. There are enough for Golock's henchmen, Father Mushi and Champion Guanjun, my wingman and I, and my griffon." He displays a metal jar. "This contains oil that can coat our weapons to enchant them."

He addresses the henchmen specifically. "Do you think this is a sufficient force to overcome the dragon in our ambush?"



OOC:
Captain Fei Xing Yuan CR 7. The priest CR5, the militia champion CR6, the other griffon rider CR5, the scouts CR2. Potions of resist cold, oil of magic weapon. quiver of 30 +1 arrows
  #96  
Unread 1st of March, 2007, 07:05
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Potions to resist the cold, magic to overcome it's hide (though I don't believe that I can use it), what else might we need in this fight... Fire, Fugen thinks, If the white dragon is a creature of the cold, it is unlikely to like fire. I have but a couple of vials of alcemist's fire, but if we could get our hands on more...

Signing, Fugen directs Gizerak and Linus to ask the Captian to add as many fire based weapons to their arsenal as they can lay hands on. He also suggests that Termix, Gizerak, and Father Mush prepare their spells accordingly.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #97  
Unread 1st of March, 2007, 07:11
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.33 per day)
"Hmmm, I see. I think we could defeat it, but I think I'd better join the scouts. I doubt my dagger could pierce it's hide. Oh, that reminds me, could I perhaps purchase a crossbow? I've been meaning too for some time."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #98  
Unread 1st of March, 2007, 17:47
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj, unused to so much concern and asistance from his employers smiles widly at the things suplied by the army.

"I think this will be exelent, i cannot see how we could fail with these things!"
  #99  
Unread 1st of March, 2007, 20:49
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
6:14 The Ambush Site

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 6:14 The Ambush Site

The captain confers with his wingman, and the wingman flies away across the camp.

As they wait, the captain introduces one of the cavalry scouts, who describes a promising ambush site near the Aikou camp. It is a barn and farmhouse, the owner of which has fled after some of the Aikou soldiers looted his farm animals. The scout will lead them there.

In less than half an hour, the wingman returns carrying (carefully) a sack of alchemist fire flasks. There are enough for each of the combatants to take two. He also presents a halfling-sized crossbow and bolts to Linus.

"Well, I hope that is everything. We should go now while there is still time" says the captain.

They set off, following the cavalry scouts. The captain and his wing man spread out and fly close to the ground. They move slowely and deliberately in the darkness, always on the lookout for enemy scouts. Their guide leads them far around Merak Xi to the north. Their destination is just five miles away, but they travel nine miles along an indirect route to reach it, and it takes them over four hours. After midnight, they reach the farmhouse. They leave the horses and the wingman's griffon with one of the lookouts in a treeline at the edge of the farm. They find the farmhouse abandoned.

The barn has no shortage of good hiding places behind barrels, haybails, or an old cart.

Captain Fei Xing takes his two jars of alchemist fire, consumes one potion and gives the other to his griffon, and coats his weapon with the magical oil. "I will land in their camp near their headquarters. They will assume it is part of some other trick for the pending battle- signalling a spy or delivering an assassin or something. I'll make sure to get the dragon's attention and fly this way. When it overtakes me, I will try to outmaneuver it and seek cover- which is our normal tactic anyway -and lead it into the barn. You should be hidden until we close the door behind it." The captain exchanges farewells briefly and prepares to take off. The wingman positions himself on one side of the open door to close it after the dragon enters.



OOC:
MW Small light crossbow for Linus with 20 bolts.


Please provide me with the coordinates to position your character on the map, and try to describe how he will be hiding.

Any last minute plans?

  #100  
Unread 2nd of March, 2007, 03:24
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
As Captain Fei Xing takes to the air, Gizerak says a prayer for his safety, as well as that of his mount.

Looking around, Gizerak finds a stack haybales and arranges them so that he is hidden from the entrance to the barn. After he is situated, the halfling begins a prayer to Sha-gaat. Afterwards, he waits, listening for sound of the Captain and his prey returning.

OOC: Going to listen for sounds of the Griffon and dragon approaching, taking 20 on a Listen check (if that's even possible, not sure right now). As soon as he hears them coming, Gizerak will apply the oil to his mace and cast his level 3 domain spell (resist cold)

And Gizerak is good where he is. 35N/130E

Spells currently prepared:

0th: Light, Resistance (x4)
1st: Bane, Bless, Doom, Remove Fear (x2) (Domain: Burning Hands)
2nd: Sound Burst (x2), Spiritual Weapon (Domain: Produce Flame)
3rd: Prayer, Searing Light (Domain: Resist Energy-cold)
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 23:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren