Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Unread 28th of April, 2006, 06:27
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.38 per day)
As Termix struggles, his mind not seems to not want to work his magic, but it hurts slightly. He gets through it, and relays what the two spells are.
"There's a sign of sealing, meant to keep people out, and a symbol of pain, meant to torture you in agony," As he speaks, he points out to Linus which one is which. "They're going to be hard to get past, but it should be possible. Mikon might have been stronger than I thought...."
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #27  
Unread 28th of April, 2006, 15:13
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj furrows his brow at the large and sealed door then frowns, his relaxed expresion slightly more disgruntled now, but he remains silent.
  #28  
Unread 29th of April, 2006, 08:44
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.78 per day)
Linus nods as Termix describes the magical traps. "You all might want to stand back. These are more advanced than I'm actually used to." Once everyone steps back out of the way, Linus carefully studies the two symbols again. Well, I suppose I ought to start with the one preventing us access. That way at least we can get in. If I do the pain one first, we could be screwed.

Linus does everything possible to concentrate on the task at hand.


[OOC - There's no way Linus can pass these, but he doesn't know that. Use action point if I roll anything less than an 18 on either Disable Device check.]
  #29  
Unread 29th of April, 2006, 09:00
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Putting his hand on the little halflings shoulder, Fugen pulls him back before he starts and starts signing. He indicates that if the magical runes that Termix described are that difficult, then perhaps they should try an alternate route. Could they not make a hole in the wall that seperates the library they are in and Mikon's bed chamber? It might take a while, but it also sounds like it might be safer than messing with Mikon's powerful magic.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #30  
Unread 29th of April, 2006, 13:13
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.78 per day)
Linus thanks his silent companion and wipes the sweat from his brow before exhaling slowly. "If this fails, then maybe try the traps."

[OOC - CD brought up a good point, if this comes up again, add action points on any roll of 18 or higher. Duh.]
  #31  
Unread 1st of May, 2006, 05:44
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Taking the time to examine the wall that seperates them from the bed chamber, Fugen takes a step back and looks at if from bottom to top. When his eyes reach where it meets the ceiling, he notices the ceiling is made of wood and is flat. Recalling that the roof outside is peaked, an idea occurs to Fugen that might be easier than going through the wall.

Signing, he quickly explains his new idea to the others. Since the ceiling is made of wood, it should be easier to break through, provided they can reach it. If memory serves, there was a ladder downstairs out in the courtyard. They should go take a look at it and see if it's in good enough shape to be used, and they try bringing it up here.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #32  
Unread 1st of May, 2006, 08:08
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj grins at the idea and proffers his axe for the job of hacking at the wood. He is about to run to get the ladder but remembers his difficulty with jumping the small ledge.

"Perhaps oneo f the halflings should get it..." He sugests.
  #33  
Unread 3rd of May, 2006, 04:24
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Signing for Linus to come with him, Fugen explains on the way down that he should call to Kierna when they reached the first floor. If the ladder was light enough, she should be able to bring it in to them and pass it up. Or at least tie a rope to it so that they could haul it up. That way they wouldn't have to deal with getting the ladder past that wall remenant and the gap in the floor.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #34  
Unread 3rd of May, 2006, 05:29
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.78 per day)
Linus nods and follows Fugen to the main area. Once the two arrive in that area, the halfling calls out to Kierna. "Kierna, we're at a bit of an impasse here. Please bring the ladder in here."
  #35  
Unread 3rd of May, 2006, 20:29
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
5:6 The Ladder

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:6 The Ladder

Kierna hears and is able to retrieve the ladder. She passes it up to Fugen and Linus without any complications. The ladder is blackened and brittle, but appears sturdy enough to get the job done.



OOC
4,5:6 (1d20=19, 1d20=2, 1d20=3, 1d20=2, 1d20=8, 1d20=16, 1d20=1, 1d20=20, 1d20=17, 1d20=16, 1d20=19, 1d20=8, 1d20=11, 1d20=8, 1d20=8, 1d20=15, 1d20=16, 1d20=6, 1d20=3, 1d20=3)
Listen DC 5+distance mod. Kierna listen check: 19+mods -7 (distance), Other listen check 2+mods
  #36  
Unread 3rd of May, 2006, 23:22
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Directing Linus to take the front of the ladder, Fugen takes the rear as the two wrestle it up the stairs. Once they have it up near the door, Fugen heads back down into the classroom to find something that might serve as blocking so that the ladder base can rest on as level a surface as is possible given that they are setting it up in the stairwell.

Once the ladder is in place and fairly stable, Fugen gestures for Flarrgj to climb on up and have at the ceiling.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #37  
Unread 4th of May, 2006, 14:56
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:7 Screech

The extra efforts that were made to stabilize the ladder seem to help. Flarrgj is able to keep his balance as he chops through the ceiling. He has cut most of the way through when the henchmen hear another noise over the racket of woodchopping. It is the same distance animal screech that they heard earlier, coming from below. Now it sounds closer, and is accompanied by the steady beating of wings.



OOC
4,5:7 (1d20=13, 1d20=8, 1d20=7, 1d20=9, 1d20=3, 1d20=1, 1d20=11, 1d20=7, 1d20=2, 1d20=11, 1d20=5, 1d20=6, 1d20=7, 1d20=8, 1d20=17, 1d20=2, 1d20=14, 1d20=11, 1d20=13, 1d20=16)
Flarrgj Balance check 13+mods. Succeeds.
Listen skill check 8+mods –distance vs DC –5.
Flarrgj does an average of 4 pts/round to the celing (subtracting hardness). It has 8 HP left.
  #38  
Unread 6th of May, 2006, 12:18
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj frowns at the birds cry and redoubles his efforts, not wanting to be stranded on the ladder if this thing should attack.
  #39  
Unread 6th of May, 2006, 13:14
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.38 per day)
Termix moves to the base of the stairwell, being careful not to knock Flarrgj down. He keeps an eye out for what is probably the pheora.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #40  
Unread 8th of May, 2006, 06:09
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
5:8 The Phoera

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:8 The Phoera

Flarrgj batters a hole in the ceiling and has almost made it wide enough to crawl through, as the screeching and flapping noises grow louder.

Termix on lookout sees the first Phoera come swooping through the door into the main chamber.

It is a brightly plumed bird red and gold in color, with a hooked beak and strong talons. The air around it shimmers with heat.

Drawn by the racket of woodcutting, the phoera’s trajectory is upwards towards the henchmen.

Termix is able to shout a warning once it appears so that his comrades can react.

OOC
5,5:8 (1d20=13, 1d20=1, 1d20=17, 1d20=18, 1d20=5, 1d20=16, 1d20=14, 1d20=9, 1d20=9, 1d20=9, 1d20=7, 1d20=10, 1d20=18, 1d20=4, 1d20=3, 1d20=2, 1d20=2, 1d20=1, 1d20=11, 1d20=15)

Initiative
23 Gizerak E235/N115
22 Kierna E85/N125
17 Phoera1 E105/ N110
17 Phoera2 E105/ N120
16 Fugen E240/N110
16 Termix E210/N140
08 Linus E230/N120
01 Flarrgj E225/N120


  #41  
Unread 9th of May, 2006, 00:48
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Hearing Termix's warning, Gizerak looks down towards the oncoming creatures.

"Sha-gaat's Blessed Court! The Duke's spawn are here to test us. I believe those are phoera, beasts of the firey powers of my deity. Prepare yourselves."

With that said, the cleric closes his eyes and mutters an incantation.

"Duke of the Western Flame! Guide our hands and shield our minds to allow us to embrace your cleansing flames."

As the last word rolls off his tongue, the others in the party feel a slight warmth, as the blessing of Sha-gaat settles on them.

OOC: Cast Bless.

Spells currently prepared:
0th: Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic, Resistance
1st: Bless (cast), Divine Favor, Magic Weapon (Domain: Burning Hands - cast)
2nd: Resist Energy(x2) (Domain: Produce Flame)
  #42  
Unread 9th of May, 2006, 09:49
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.54 per day)
Kierna eyes snap to the tower door right in front of her, suddenly alert to the weird shrieks emanating from within.

Which way are they going?

She runs without hesitation through the door, uncasing her longbow and pulling an arrow from her quiver in the same motion.

[OOC: Move into antechamber; if the door into the Main Hall is open and a freaky fire bird is visible, stop at E90/N105 and fire an arrow (+9 ranged, d8+3/x3; +1 atk/dmg within 30 feet).

If the door is closed, move to E95/N105 and open it.]

Last edited by treehouse; 11th of May, 2006 at 11:14. Reason: Fixing spelling error
  #43  
Unread 9th of May, 2006, 11:19
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
5:9 The Phoera Rnd 1

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:9 The Phoera Rnd 1

Gizerak’s blessing does not help Kierna, who is too far away.

Kierna fires at the phoera through the open door. She hits it. The blow is painful and gets the bird’s attention. The phoera cannot bank sharply enough to fly out the main door. Instead it lands awkwardly and waddles up to Kierna. It pecks her with its beak. This wicked gash is accompanied by a wave of heat from the phoera that cooks her flesh.

the other bird continues its ascent towards the sound of the hammering. It cannot climb at such a steep angle and will have to spiral around to reach the third level. These large birds were not designed to fly in confined spaces.



OOC

The Phoera are CR3

Initiative
23 Gizerak E235/N115. Casts bless.
22 Kierna E90/N105. Shoots at Phoera and hits for 6 pts of damage. Hit by phoera for 7 pts of damage including 2 from fire.
17 Phoera1 E95/ N100. Lost 6hp to Kierna in round 1. Hits Kierna with a 19+mods for 5pts of regular damage and 2 pts fire damage.
17 Phoera2 E150/ N135. Double move.

Next up: the rest of round 1
16 Fugen E240/N110
16 Termix E210/N140
08 Linus E230/N120
01 Flarrgj E225/N120

4,5:9 (1d20=12, 1d20=19, 1d20=17, 1d20=4, 1d20=16, 1d20=7, 1d20=11, 1d20=11, 1d20=1, 1d20=20)

CR guarantee XP added in. Nobody gained a level.


  #44  
Unread 10th of May, 2006, 01:05
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Pulling out a tanglefoot bag, Fugen descends to the 3rd level and the big gaping hole in the floor which affords him a clear view of the birds. Seeing only one remaining in the air, Fugen launches his tanglefoot bag at it, trying to knock if from the air.

[OOC: Move to bottom of stairs while drawing tanglefoot bag. Throw tanglefoot bag at flying pheora.]
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #45  
Unread 10th of May, 2006, 13:20
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.54 per day)
Kierna steps back lightly, wincing and trying not to look at the burning wound on her upper leg.

Perhaps the heat will close it up and prevent bleeding...

Hands moving in a blur, she lets two more arrows fly before the bird can close with her again.

[Taking a 5' step back; Rapid Shot - +8/+8 ranged (d8+3/x3), Point Blank Shot bonus included]
  #46  
Unread 10th of May, 2006, 14:04
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj glances back and see's his companions attacking the birds. He frowns, calculating quickly and decides that the roof can wait, but the birds cannot. He decends back down the ladder and prepairs to attack the first bird that comes into range.

((Redied action, attack bird))
  #47  
Unread 11th of May, 2006, 07:30
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.38 per day)
Termix hates to have to hurt these beautiful creatures, but has no other choice. He speaks a quick incant, and two bolts of force smack into the flying pheora.

OOC: Cast magic missle at the flying pheora on level 2.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #48  
Unread 11th of May, 2006, 10:04
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.78 per day)
Linus can't think of much else to do, and simply moves to allow Flarrgj room to pass. He then moves after the big man, drawing his bow and notching an arrow as he goes. If he gets a clear shot at one of the strange birds, he let's fly.
  #49  
Unread 11th of May, 2006, 12:59
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
5:10 The Phoera Rnd 2

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 5:10 The Phoera Rnd 2

Fugen throws the tanglefoot bag, but it is tough to hit a flying target and the bag misses.

The flying phoera is stung by Termix’ magic missiles.

Linus has barely gotten down the stairs, and is still drawing his bow to fire.

Kierna backs up and hits the phoera with one of her arrows, but then it closes on her again and swipes her with a burning claw. Kierna is now severely wounded.

The flying phoera cannot bank sharply enough to spiral in the confines of the tower. It blasts a stream of fire at Termix, and then lands on the second level and starts to climb the stairs.

The stream of fire bathes Termix, but the flames are repelled by the fire resistance spell he cast earlier.



OOC

Round1 (continued)
16 Fugen E210/N135. Throws tanglefoot bag Rolls 9+mods inc bless & –4 range.. Misses touch AC.
16 Termix E210/N140. Magic missile. 7pts of damage to Phoera2.
08 Linus E210/N130. Double move.
01 Flarrgj E215/N140. Moves and readies action.

Round 2
23 Gizerak E235/N115. No action.
22 Kierna E85/N105.. Step and full attack. Rolls 7&9+mods. One hit for 6 pts to Phoera1. Took 7 pts of damage in round 1 and 7 more in round 2.
17 Phoera1 E95/ N100. Lost 6hp to Kierna in round 1 and 7 pts in round 2. Steps and full attacks. Misses with 3+mods. Hits with 19+mods. Misses with 10+mods. Hit does 3 regular dmg+4 fire damage.
17 Phoera2 E155/ N155. Lost 7hp from magic missile round 2. Breath weapon vs. Termix. Termix saves with 11+mods. Damage absorbed by resist energy spell.

4,5:10 (1d20=9, 1d20=7, 1d20=9, 1d20=3, 1d20=19, 1d20=10, 1d20=11, 1d20=16, 1d20=5, 1d20=8, 1d20=13, 1d20=2, 1d20=12, 1d20=3, 1d20=19, 1d20=4, 1d20=18, 1d20=20, 1d20=15, 1d20=12)


  #50  
Unread 12th of May, 2006, 15:19
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj see's Kierna getting torn up and begins sprinting down the stairs to try and distract the bird. When he gets to the small gap that blocked them before he simply jumps down the level, ignoring any hurt it might cause to himself.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 18:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren