Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Closed Thread
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 00:06
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Games are reborn at Pimm's o'Clock [2/6/05 Full]

The game is now full, feel free to drop by and have a look at how things are going.

Sometimes a fresh start is needed. Dagern Travels had continued for a good few years and yet in recent months it really started to lag as players did their tricks of leaping into the ether never to be seen again. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and looking back I can see a fair few mistakes I made in the past. So I thought I'd have a crack at undoing them.

I've ended one of my games and I'm planning on replacing it with something akin to a sequel. This game features fantasy style mechs (dragoons) as a key piece of background. Wars are fought between the iron giants, the secrets to their construction are known to few and extracted from ruins of a lost civilisation known as the Ehb. Dragoon guilds are the best source of expertise in this field and they sell their services to the highest bidder.

Two years after the initial game when the events which started occurring then have gone in to full swing. Since the discovery of an allied fort, and dragoon staging post, deep within the Cavernous wood, the free city states have started to amass an army preparing for what they believe will be all out war with the Venterran Empire and their allies.

Times are good for the dragoon guilds, the free states require a powerful army and they are willing to pay. With their coffers overflowing the guilds have started to dispatch teams to ruins on a fairly regular basis in order to extract their secrets. Such ruins are dangerous, and so the few guildsmen that can be spared for such an expedition recruit others to supplement the areas in which their own abilities are found wanting. Such work is dangerous, with only half those who take up such a job offer ever returning, but the pay is exceptional.

The players will have accepted such a contract and that is where the game will begin. Here are some bullet points:

• The rules for dragoons are ancient and complicated. They will be receiving heavy revision. This will not affect gameplay for the moment as they will largely be serving as a background piece (for now). As much as you may like the idea of stamping about in a huge metal giant you should be aware that Im not just offering you unlimited cosmic power on a plate.
  • The game will be beginning in the Free City State of Gomorrah, not far from the borders with the allied states of Spiran and Loklan.
  • I want interesting character concepts. And, as should be obvious, I'd like the characters to have the potential to become heroes.
  • We'll be starting at level 2, keep that in mind when coming up with your concept.
  • Bonus points (possibly xp) for giving me a concept that provides a few little plot hooks to try and make the game more character-relevant
I was planning on using ninja stealth recruitment to gather players for this, but in the end I decided that this was possibly a little unfair so I'm opening this to all. You lucky lucky people you.
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 00:15
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Member: #512
Me! Me! Me!

I hate Clerics, Monks, Druids and Paladins, and I dislike Bards and all Magic-Users.

I play way too many Rangers, and I have a couple of Fighters on the go as well.

That leaves me with a Barbarian or a Rogue....

Leave me to think for a while.
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 03:58
nightinverse
Vampiric Dwarven Psychologist [Epic GM]

Member: #1101
Hurm...

I'm actually considering this, though I may have to push things around. It sounds like a good campaign to get into, and every party needs a Cleric...

But I can't be sure yet. I want to join up, but my schedule is currently... uncertain. I will get back to you if I can and want to play, but if I don't reply again, assume that I wished to play, but cannot.
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 04:30
Fulmen
Spectre

Member: #1173
Count me in. I already PMed you earlier, but I figured it would be more official if I said so here as well.
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 08:37
Tamarind
Bodak

Member: #900
Sounds very interesting - count me in

I'll work on a concept and PM you something soon...
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 19:13
BigRedRod

Well then, this seems to be gathering a fair bit of interest. If everybody could let me know their concept (either posted here or PMed depending on your own preference) then I'll pick four or five for the game.

If anybody has any questions then ask away, other than that just remember that your concept should have a decent reasonable for wanting to take part in a rather dangerous expedition. So curiousity about the Ehb, the guilds or maybe just the wodges of cash. Be creative.
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 19:20
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
I dream of a day where I too can force people interested in playing in my games to amuse me with dances.
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 20:13
chalice
Gravecrawler

Member: #883
Me too, please

I'd love to play; thinking of a cleric, will PM the fuzzy outline.
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 20:46
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by itches I dream of a day where I too can force people interested in playing in my games to amuse me with dances.
I'll get my veils...

I have two concepts as of now, and I'd rather wait until I have a better idea of the group's lay-out before I pick one.

I'm either going for a Rogue (one who can actually unlock things this time...) or a Half-Orc Ranger who throws Javelins.

I'll come up with something more in-depth before long.
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 20:50
Tamarind
Bodak

Member: #900
Thinking I'll go with a Ranger, probably melee focused though
Unread 30th of May, 2005, 20:54
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Ah-Ha!

In which case I'll shotgun that Rogue.
Unread 31st of May, 2005, 05:15
Dev
Ghoul

Member: #1319
A total newb?! Wanting to just join up out of nowhere, what is he THINKING?

Well I'm thinking this sounds like a lot of fun, and I'd love to join in. Looks like the proposed characters so far are a bit short on the arcane end, so that would be the direction I'm leaning.

I know spots are limited, so I should be honest about my newbishness; I'm a veteran 3ed player and DM, with tons of freeform RP experience under my belt, but this would be my first time in a play-by-post. Moreover, here I am trying to stake out the wizard where I have no experience with UA rules.

I'm certainly willing to learn, whatever it takes, of course... and I'll PM a few ideas ASAP.

(I'm hopping over from the dnd3e LJ community, by the way.)
Unread 31st of May, 2005, 06:02
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Well I could be interested in a Wizard type or a Fighter type. I usually end of playing the Cleric since nobody else will, but one of my actual reasons for thinking of joining this game is that 2 people already want to play the cleric type, WOOOT!

Anyways. I have never actually played 3rd edition, but I am a supervet of 2nd with some 1st thrown in. I have made characters and roughly understand the 3rd edition, but I do not have anything that is 3.5.

I guess I need to know information on the World at large. The majority of my experience with AD&D is in Forgotten Realms, SpellJammer, DarkSun, and GM created worlds. Is there a sourcebook that I would need to buy?
Unread 31st of May, 2005, 18:33
BigRedRod

Nice to see two new faces.

Originally Posted by dev Moreover, here I am trying to stake out the wizard where I have no experience with UA rules.

I'm certainly willing to learn, whatever it takes, of course... and I'll PM a few ideas ASAP.
The UA wizard stuff allows you to trade various wizardy aspects for other powers (the familiar, the extra spell and I think the bonus feats). If you give me a prod about a specific wizard type then I'll fill you in.

Originally Posted by Thanos I guess I need to know information on the World at large. The majority of my experience with AD&D is in Forgotten Realms, SpellJammer, DarkSun, and GM created worlds. Is there a sourcebook that I would need to buy?
It's a homebrew, and despite whether or not I end up using the dragonmech rules for the dragoons you should be fine without any sourcebooks.
World info comes in the forum of some outline info over in here. If you have specific questions then ask away, but feel free to merrily invent minor details to your hearts content.
Unread 1st of June, 2005, 09:32
Fulmen
Spectre

Ok, I am trying to roll up my "special" character so that you can look at him, but I need to know how the rolls are being done. Are we doing 6 4d6's or 7 4d6's and dropping the lowest one or point buy? If it is only 6 4d6's (which is the norm) then things could get REALLY interesting as I have a 5 that I will have to put somewhere.
Unread 1st of June, 2005, 09:52
Dev
Ghoul

Member: #1319
I just have to say that I sympathize. The only time I ever rolled a 5, I decided to hell with it, and put it in my halfling's str, making it a 3. ... it was a very angry halfling.
Unread 1st of June, 2005, 10:04
Fulmen
Spectre

Yeah I think im gonna put in in my dex, making it a 3 which ranks just under a collosal Animated Object, but highter than a gelantinous cube!
Unread 1st of June, 2005, 18:04
BigRedRod

There's no no need to be rolling up charactes until I'm happy with your concepts. Yes, we're using 4d6 drop lowest, if you use the irony dice server and stick a copy of the rolls in bigredrod@gmail.com then everything is fair and square.

Also, if my three accepted players of this far (Tam, Chalice and Alco) want to throw character sheets in the forum then go for it. Which should make it faster to start when I find the one or two others for the game.
Unread 2nd of June, 2005, 10:17
Fulmen
Spectre

I use the 3E dice roller for my rolls, but I write them all down so I can easily give them to you once my concept is accepted, also I returned your PM please reply letting me know if you want more depth in the concept or if I should scrap it all together.
Unread 2nd of June, 2005, 19:32
BigRedRod

Well, I think I have a full compliment of players now. Sorry Fulmen, nightverse and Chronaltap.