Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Closed Thread
Unread 15th of April, 2005, 07:06
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

Member: #952
New D&D v3.5 game

As promised I'm starting recruitment for a v3.5 d&d game.

Life along the coast of the great sea was placid and easygoing, untill a viscous earthquake rearranged the coastline. The fishing town now lies a mile inland from the shore.
Mount Karavoll stands about thirty-seven miles east of the small community named Porthem.
The tremor split the mountain revealing an ancient series of tunnels leading down into the mountain. Monstrous beasts have began emerging from the mountain and slaughtering many of the shepards whose flocks graze there. Outlying farms have been attacked and the hamlet of Grellhem was ransacked by orcs. All this information has been gathered from the few who survived the attacks.
The mayor has formed a militia to protect Porthem and they are hastily constucting fortifications around the unwalled town. Mayor Critton has posted a call for volunteers to form a expeditionary party.

Character level one/XP 0

This is a homebrew world of my own creation, I'll post information on the surrounding areas when characters are completed. Knowledge (local) etc. will help determine what you know of the world around you. I'll also post local information as needed.

Any Standard PHB race and class is allowed.

Maximum starting gold and one free set of clothing.

Stats will be 30 point buy- point for point Maximum of 19
Start each ability at eight and go from there. (19 would cost 11 points)

Standard PHB deities and spells also.

One other note Anyone is welcome to post interest in this thread, but please commit to not disappearing for days without posting, I like to try to keep my games moving.
Unread 15th of April, 2005, 07:47
Fulmen
Spectre

Member: #1173
You can never be in too many D&D games! Sign me up! Not sure what i will play yet, but I will start thinking on it.
Unread 16th of April, 2005, 14:08
ajsuson
Ghoul

Member: #617
Okay, I'll play along with you.
Unread 16th of April, 2005, 14:16
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Originally Posted by Fulmen You can never be in too many D&D games!
Ask Gral about that sometime.
Unread 17th of April, 2005, 05:38
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
I would be interested in playing as well.
Unread 17th of April, 2005, 09:43
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

Member: #1052
Oh, what the puck, I'm game.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Unread 17th of April, 2005, 23:24
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

That's four, I'll consider having one more. Any idea what you all will be playing.
p.s. I'm famous for accidentaly slaying gnomes and paladins...
Unread 17th of April, 2005, 23:42
Fulmen
Spectre

Yeah, I sent you a PM Flagg. I will be playing a Human Bow-based fighter. http://www.3eprofiler.net/3ep/view.php?id=21662
Unread 17th of April, 2005, 23:47
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

Fulmen the character looks good, will get better look later.
Unread 17th of April, 2005, 23:50
Fulmen
Spectre

Alright, also PM me your email so I can get you info on my planned Prestigue Class for later on in the game.
Unread 18th of April, 2005, 03:04
Darius

I was planning on playing a half-elf sorcerer. Are casters allowed to start with a familiar, or do we need to go through the ritual first? Here's the character sans familiar.
http://www.3eprofiler.net/3ep/view.php?id=21850

Last edited by Darius; 18th of April, 2005 at 03:14. Reason: Added link to character
Unread 18th of April, 2005, 07:06
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

Originally Posted by Flagg Thornington p.s. I'm famous for accidentaly slaying gnomes and paladins...
Then I'm out. I only wanted to play a paladin; if that's your attitude toward them, then there's no reason for me to do so.

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Unread 18th of April, 2005, 11:09
Wisp
Ghoul

Member: #694
Sounds cool, I'm in. I'll get you a character concept by tomarrow.
Unread 18th of April, 2005, 11:58
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

Darius, feel free to start play with a familiar, just write it into your backstory.
Bandit, I kiddin' 'bout killing of the paladin and gnome. That's a joke from my table game.
Unread 18th of April, 2005, 23:39
Darius

Jenner's backstory

Jenner never knew his parents. To hear his grandfather, his father was an elf who had been travelling with a band of adventurers who had stopped in Porthem to recover from their injuries and restock their supplies. Despite his grandfather's best efforts, Jenner's mother and the elf started having a relationship that was cut short when rumors of a monster infestation to the northeast started trickling into town. The elf was never seen again, though whether he was killed or simply decided to not come back to the woman he claimed he loved is unknown. A month later Jenner's mother discovered she was pregnant. She did not survive the pregnancy, though Jenner did. He was raised by his grandfather and grandmother, though he was treated harshly by the old man for he saw in Jenner much of the elf that he blamed for his daughter's death. That did not stop him from teaching Jenner what little arcane theory and alchemy he had learned being a minor wizard in his own right.

Much to his grandfather's chagrin, Jenner showed little aptitude for magic, failing to grasp the proper memorization techniques. When he was 16 however, he managed to cast his first spell, drawing on the power of his blood and his own will. His grandfather sneered at what he called a lesser form of magic, but he could not ignore the fact that his grandson would most likely prove to be a power in his own right. Jenner looks down on normal wizards somewhat, seeing them shackled by formulas and memorization.

Jenner has a reputation around town as being a heart breaker, as his good lucks and winning smile make him a favorite of the ladies. He has yet to settle down, and part of that is from the nature he inherited from his father. This trait also made him somewhat unpopular with the other men in town as they see him as a pretty boy looking to steal their women away from them. While not really lazy, Jenner does not see the point behind constantly studying and training, taking a much more life experience approach to learning and bettering himself.

When he heard that Mayor Critton was calling for volunteers to create an expeditionary force after the earthquake, he went to his grandparents to ask their permission. His grandfather at first refused, not wanting to lose yet another member of his family. He relented, however, knowing that to staunchly oppose his grandson would mean losing him forever. Before Jenner left to answer the call, his grandfather led him through the rite of summoning a familiar, resulting in a small grey cat that Jenner has named Smoke. Smoke typically rides around in Jenner's backpack when he is not off hunting mice or prowling around.
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 00:26
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

Here's the crew.
Fulmen-Human Fighter
Ajsuson-?
Darius- Half-elf sorcerer
Left-Handed Bandit Paladin (If you're in)
Wisp ?
Post your basic ideas in this thread, and work up your sheets.
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 00:32
paradoxofme
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #1257
Is it too late to throw my hat into the ring for this one?
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 01:31
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

Paradox, Check back later today, I just need to hear from the Bandit.
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 03:07
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

"... Bandit, I kiddin' 'bout killing of the paladin and gnome. That's a joke from my table game..."

My apologies; I make the mistake of occasionally reading and actually participating on the official D&D message boards. From there, I've learned that there are way too many people out there who really do think the way you joked.

I'm sorry I made inaccurate conclusions about the intent of that statement (I honestly thought is a was a veiled warning). I'm definitely in.

Give me the day to come up with a concept, and I'll post it here.

Unread 19th of April, 2005, 04:45
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

Only once in a generation will a man of absolute piety appear -- one of true Grace and Holy purpose, dedicated solely to the quest and married only to the faith.

However, such men are also marked by the most unfathomable of tragedy and loss, destined for a torturous life and an early grave, as if the whole of Divinity has risen up and made challenging his purity a personal task.

Joachim was the son of a pious wainwright, and early on felt the pull of the Invincible upon his heart. His fate was cemented when his family was murdered by a petty warlord and servant of Hextor. Taken in by a local abbey, Joachim learned of his divine purpose and took a sacred vow to uphold virtue and law, and to destroy evil.

His faith was tested again a short time after, when Hextor's minions raided the abbey while he was on a sabbatical journey. Joachim returned days later to find the remains of the monastery burned to the ground, his mentors and friends slaughtered, and the nearby village pillaged and plundered.

While Joachim's personal tragedy drvies him to live by the sword, his faith steers his course. As Divinity constantly tests his resolve, so shall he test the resolve of all Hextor's minions, until none remain on this earth.

Upholding the vows of his lost abbey, the young champion never drinks of anything from the vine, and is chaste and celibate. He is always respectful and courteous, except to minions of evil, whom he treats only with righteous contempt.

Joachim's Character Sheet

Last edited by Left-Handed Bandit; 19th of April, 2005 at 11:49. Reason: Adding link to Character Sheet
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 10:49
Wisp
Ghoul

Member: #694
I'll get my stuff in tomarrow, unfortuenately I was much busier than I expected today.
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 12:42
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

Well you know, there's six characters in my other game...
Welcome aboard Paradox. Get your backgrounds and sheets finished up and post them here for now, or just wait untill I try the new and improved automated forum aquisition system and secure our new gaming forum.
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 13:16
paradoxofme
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #1257
I've got a gnome bard in mind that I think might be destined for your hatred.
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 13:18
Fulmen
Spectre

Excellent! A bard to sing of my heroic deeds!
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 13:41
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

My best friend plays as a gnomish cleric who wears stout protections. It's ironic that the full-plated cleric shows up just in time to heal the party...(15' movement)
Play whatever you'd enjoy, within limits...