Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Closed Thread
Unread 29th of April, 2005, 22:43
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Member: #512
Warhammer!

Yes, you heard me right.

Games Workshop (or one of it's ever multiplying subsidiaries) has re-released Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (henceforth refered to as WFRP).

Enriched by an influx of cash from HM's MOD, I have purchased this tome in a spirit of pure enquiry, and can safely admit to being impressed.

But don't take my word for it: The ORP's very own Dr.No, BigRedRod himself, has likewise perused his own freshly brought copy and concluded likewise favourably!
What better endorsement could one ask?

For the curious, a link is provided to the WFRP site, and another to the GW website's Warhammer page, in case you're wondering "What the smeg is Warhamster anyway?"

The system is quite, quite unique, and is markedly different from the run-of-the-mill D20 Dungeons and Dragons clones out there.
Rather than restricting caracters to specific classes, and advancing in great leaps as they level up, the WFRP system operates on the basis of so-called 'careers'.

A starting player chooses a race, and rolls for vital statistics such as weapon skill, strength, will power and the rest, using modifiers for his or her race. You then roll to determine a career, and there are about fifty different careers to choose from.
Now at first glance this struck me as odd, and slightly disappointing, since it robs you of half the fun of character genaration, which is to imagine a character and then create it.

Read on.

Your starting career represents roughly what you were before you chose the life of an adventurer. You may have been a noble brat, a militia-man or a peasant farmer, amongst others. This serves as a role-playing guide-line and makes you mould your concept to the restrictons of birth. It adds a whole depth of flavour to the game, when your seductive sorceress hides a past as the daughter of a camp-following whore, or where your hard-bitten and scarred soldier was once a farm boy with shit between his toes.

Of course, your rolled career may be miles out from your concept (the stately Elven sword-master is unlikely to have ever been a rat-catcher), but I've put some thought into this, and I'm happy that I can provide a solution without unbalancing the game.

Your starting career affects the skills and talents your character posesses, and as you gain experience you can evolve that career, consolidate it, or change it entirely, which will in turn affect the efficacy of your character in different sitiations.
Novel touches such as diseases and plagues, drunkenness and insanity (yes, insanity) add a whole world of depth and flavour to an already rich and detailed game world.

When considering WFRP against other RP games, the key difference is this.
In Dungeons and Dragons, and Earthdawn, and all the other RP games out there, you start off with a concept of a character you want to play. That concept affects how you allocate your dice rolls, what class you choose and what skills you take. Once you've made that concept and forged it into a character, all that remains for you to do is roll the dice and RP along.

In WFRP, the dice decide your background and your skills, and it's your job to hit the ground running. It's your job to explain how the effete Elven diplomat your dice have given you becomes the flint eyed tracker that you want him to be. It's an entirely different challenge from what you're probably used to.

Now while I suggest that for the best experience, you need to buy this book, I appreciate that we don't all have money to blow like that.
The nature of character creation means that with sufficient input from the player, I can create the stats myself, and all the player has to do is write up the background.

Experience tells me that the optimum number of players for a game is between four and five: fewer and it's difficult to provide a decent challenge without killing everyone, more and the slower posters find themselves edged out of the action.

I'm only interested in players who can post regularly, coherently and gramatically. I want people who can take their stats, and instead of sulking in the corner because they didn't get the combat machine they wanted, will make something of them. I want involved posts, with description and flair, and I don't want petty bickering and sulking.

Think you're man (or woman) enough for the challenge of a grim time in the dystopic Warhammer universe? Well step right up. Tell me what race you want to play (Dwarf, human, Halfling or Elf), and what direction you want to take your character in (Stealthy tracker? Nimble duellist? Bookish enchanter?) and we'll see what we can do.

Oh, and here's a little excerpt from the back end of the rulebook to give you a better idea of what we're about:

Originally Posted by The WFRP rule book. There are worlds where courageous heroes who stand for all that is good and righteous stand watch over decent folk who seek to enrich their own lives and better those of the people around them.

This isn't one of those worlds.

The Old World is one of blood, pain, sacrifice, treachery, deceit and malice. Many of the Empire's 'heroes' are dangerous rogues and blood spattered butchers. The people of the Old World are suspicious and insular, swift to believe the worst of others and slow to trust, often with good reason. Corruption is the rule, honesty the exception. Those few bright souls who still manage to accomplish truly heroic tasks frequently have to act under the cover of darkness, lest they be accused of being in league with the very forces they try to combat.

Sounds good?

Last edited by The Alcotroll; 29th of April, 2005 at 22:45.
Unread 29th of April, 2005, 23:36
LeeCHeSSS
Psionic Lich [Epic Admin]

Member: #1
Pah, no 40k?

"Coolest Avatar Award™ 2005"-winner
Unread 29th of April, 2005, 23:43
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Well we tried to rouse interest in a Necromunda game, but that died on its arse.
Unread 29th of April, 2005, 23:55
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Spacemarines are the heart of 40k and don't lend themselves well to an RPG.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 00:27
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

All this jolly banter isn't getting me any players.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 00:46
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Wow, you pretty much jumped the gun with getting a game ad done. I'll have to finish reading my copy of the book post haste!

As you can guess though, I'm in. As of right now I don't even have an inkling of a concept, maybe that is for the best. Except a gun. I do want a gun so very much.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 01:08
Annawtnodi
Tiny Zombie

Member: #1216
Now for those of us without the book that are interested, do we write up the backgrounds before or after you roll up our backgrounds?
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 01:24
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Don't think of it as me rolling up your background.

For the moment, give me a Race and a preference of what sort of your character you want to be. We're talking fairly broad here, so don't say 'rogue' or 'druid' or I'll be forced to send the Hashishin round.
Once I've enough interest to justify a forum, I'll post more detail on how the creation shennanigans work.

Essentially, character creation is done via much dice rolling, once you've made your basic choices, so while the people who can get hold of the book can sort themselves out, I can deal with those who can't without too much hassle.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 05:30
Fulmen
Spectre

Member: #1173
I would love to play. I would like to be a Dwarf, pretty stocky, high constitution sort of guy. Not sure if I would like to shoot guns (there are guns correct?) or go melee though. And no, sadly I don't see myself being able to get my hands on this in the near future. I have always been interested in the Warhammer universe, but have never gotten involved.

Last edited by Fulmen; 30th of April, 2005 at 05:44.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 05:47
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Ah, I see another potential misconception here.

Warcraft is a computer game, with several incarnations, most recent of which is the (in)famous RPG; World of Warcraft.

Warhammer on the other hand, is an ancient, nay timeless table-top battle game with possibly the most detailed and involved background and setting in the history of wargaming.

I see I'm going to have to dance like a Leprechaun to entice some interest here, so I'm going to break with tradition a little and post up the Prologue for the game in here.

Just as soon as I've written it...
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 08:27
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Behold then, the Prologue.

You might notice my penchant for pathetic phallacy. Get used to it...

The bitter rain that came swirling over the Grey Mountains from the south west had been brewing sullenly all day. Now that the sun had set, the weather had finaly chosen to break and it was making up for its earlier indecisiveness with a viciously torrential downpour. Distantly over the mountains, out in the Border Princes, sheet lightning crackled amidst the roiling thunderheads, making nightmare shillouettes of the jagged and unforgiving peaks.
On the slopes and foothills of the Grey Mountains, the thick, dark forrests of the Reikwald rolled northwards towards the turgid waters of the Reik. Swaying reluctantly in the mounting winds, the dark conifers managed to convey an impression of brooding menace, like a roiling green sea, or a hundred thousand cultists bowing to their demagogue master.

It was not a nice night to be out in.

The raven, a bedraggled bundle of shabby black feathers, seemingly kept aloft by a combination of the swirling eddies of wind and its own bloody minded stubbornness, wheeled lower and lower, cawing raggedly as it plunged towards the threatining darkness of the thick forrests. Head cocked, its beady eye caught movement below, amidst the groping branches and tangling, malignant briars. A man was running, fleeing would be a better word. Arms winmilling, coat flapping behind him, boots hammering on the ground unevenly as he fought to maintain his balance against the rough terrain.
His coat snagged on a twig and he stumbled, his momentum tearing him loose and leaving a strip of cloth behind. He managed a half-curse, half-sob as he righted himself.
The raven swept closer, catching more movement in the man's wake, sharper, faster... skittering. With a strangled skwark, it jerked back into the air, turning with and agility it could not have posessed, clawing back into the storm tossed air as if primal terror had given it new strength. Anywhere in this miserable, rain-lashed night would be preferable to roosting down there!

Chest burning, Stefan blinked rain-water out of his eyes and willed his legs to move faster. He didn't think he'd ever run so far or so fast before, and he hoped he'd never have to again. Flailing arms batted fronds of vegetation and grasping tree-limbs from his path as he careened down the hill-side, dodging tree trunks as they flashed past.
The Black forrest of the Riekwald was a fearful place at the best of times, and only a fool would be out in it at night. Goblins, Orcs and Beastmen prowled it's murky reaches, preying on the lost and the foolish, and there were worse things in the forgotten places of the world than those... Only a fool would be out in the Reikwald at night. A fool, or a man who had no-where else to run.
Right now, Stefan didn't fear Goblins, or Wolves, or Bandits. He didn't think he'd be scared if the hordes of Arachon blocked his path right now. Nothing could possibly frighten him more than what was following him.

He crossed a beaten track through the trees, leaping over the slippery, rain-slicked mud as he passed. Surely he must be close to the villiage now. Surely he would be safe?
There was a crashing in the trees behind him, and then more to the left. In the corner of his vision there was a flash of movement, barely visible through the darkness and the grim trees. They were gaining!
In the darkness and the panic of his headlong flight, he didn't see the tree-root until it was too late. The trees flashed upwards before his rain-clouded vision, his body smacking into the wet mud, a stone striking his chin and drawing blood as he bit his lip. From behind him came a high-pitched screech that managed to communicate malicious pleasure and deadly promise. One of the... things landed on his back, scrabbling for purchase. He screamed in terror at the feel of it, at the stink of it in his nostrils, at the rancid stentch and sickening touch of something that did not exist, could not exist.
Then a blade flashed in front of his face, and Stefan knew no more.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 08:35
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
I do not have the book, and I don't have the cash to buy it, but would be interested in playing. Out of curiousity, would it be possible to post the available races for the curious? Also was thinking of playing a swashbuckler/duellist/bravo of the old insult them to provoke them into attacking first school, if such would be amenable to the game.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 08:45
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by The Alcotroll Tell me what race you want to play (Dwarf, human, Halfling or Elf),

Those are the choices.

And while it's all very well to have an idea of what sort of character you want to play, It's worth bearing in mind that the WFRP chargen process is radically different from the usual run-of-the-mill RPG systems.

I don't want to get into an in-depth discussion of the generation rules, but I'll reiterate that it's a radically different system from most DnD style games. Don't be too eager to be a specific character type; you may not get the stats or the starting career to suit it.
The focus of WFRP is to progress from humble beginnings to become the stealth duellist, or else go with the hand that your character's upbringing and background has dealt you and make what you can of it.

It's an altogether different Roleplaying challenge.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 08:47
Darius

Ah, elf it is then. I am content to let the die declare what I will start as. The personality is likely to be what I stated.

Sorry... been a long week and obviously my reading comprehension skills are shot.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 09:49
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Since the WFRP system is such a radical departure, I've knocked together this guide to how the creation process works. Hopefuly that should reassure people that the system isn't as random as it sounds, and the interest will come flooding in.

My character is Dieter. At this stage in the creation process, all I know for certain is that he is a Human male from Reikland.
Although I have a vague idea of a peasant boy who joined a town militia in seach of glory and prosperity, I'll have to work around what the dice give me.

Working out attributes is simple; simply add 2D10 to a racial base. In the case of Humans, the racial base is in all cases 20. In other words, when rolling strength, toughness, weapon skill and all the rest, I roll two D10 dice and add them to twenty. Depending on the talents I take or am bestowed, these statistics may change.

Dieter has a decent enough strength score at 20+6+8, which gives him a total of 34, and a strength bonus of three. All well and good for my concept as a militia man. Unfortunately though, I was less lucky with his Weapon skill, rolling only a two and three for a total of 25. Dieter will only have a 25% chance of hitting his target in combat now.
There are three things I can do about this. Firstly, I can fall back on the 'Shallya's Mercy' rule, which allows me to take one score and replace my rolled dice with the average of 2D10, for a total of 31. Alternatively, I can make use of the 'Craig's most beneficient house rule' which allows me to swap this statistic with one other. Dieter's Fellowship (loosely equated to charisma) rating stands at 37, which I doubt he'll need during his career as a militiaman and sellsword. I could swap this around so that his WS goes up to 37, and his Fellowship down to 25.
Thirdly, I can play it the way the designers intended me to. I can accept that while Dieter may dream of corageous battle with the foes of the Empire as a stout Militia-man, the reality is that he can hardly swing his blade without injuring himself, and he has a long way top go on the bumpy road of experience before he can attain the level of mastery at arms that he dreams of. I will chose the latter.

Now I move on to his Racial features. Races like Dwarves and Elves have their own quirks that make them unique; things like a hatred of Goblins, or hawk-like vision. Humans however are characterised by their diversity. As a Human Dieter gets two rolls on the random talents table, along with some more that reflect his up-bringing (his native tongue of Riekspiel, for example).
Dieter's two rolls reveal the Savvy talent and Resistance to Disease. Plainly, although Dieter is a country bumpkin from a pimple on the arse of the Empire, he's not as thick as he looks, and the Savvy talent gives him a 5% bonus to his intelligence, raising it from thirty six to a very respectable forty one. Not only that, but his upbringing amidst the filth and squalour of an Imperial villiage has stimulated his immune system and made him harder to infect (a good thing, believe you me).

Now I have talents and abilities dealt with, I'll need to roll him a career. I take two rolls, and pick the one I like best, which allows for a little flexibility. Different races are predjudiced for different careers. Elves for example do not start as rat-catchers, and Humans do not start as Runebearers. Dieter's choice of careers is between that of a militia-man (luckily enough for my concept) or peasant.

The choice though, is not as clear-cut as it looks.

As experience is gained, statistics can be increased, but these depend on the career I choose. As a militiaman, I can't increase my inteligence or willpower for example, while as a peasant the only thing I can't improve is my Fellowship.
I can only collect new skills by moving on in my career, and each career has certain complementing careers, or 'career exits' that I can go to next. As a peasant, Dieter could progress to a wide range of roles, including that of a politician, bone-picker, zealot or militiaman.
As a militiaman however, his choice of exits would become more limited; a mercenary, a sergeant or an artisan are a few.
I also need to consider the skills, advances and trappings (bonus equipment) that come with each trade. As a militiaman, I gain talents like the ability to use a specialist weapon group (two-handed weapons to be precise) as well as skills like search. I get issued a halberd and a leather jacket and skull-cap as well.
As a peasant however, I get a few more skills, including animal care, set trap and gamble or perform. My talents include hardy (making me tougher), and skill at a specialist weapon (the sling). My equipment is understandably limited, just a staff or sling and a leather flask (as well as the standard kit that all starting characters get).
It may seem like Dieter's way is set. My concept was for him to become a militiaman, and I was lucky enough to roll that career. I could have a decent weapon and some armour, as well as access to skills that make me handier in a fight. I'm also closer to better careers like that of a mercenary or a sergeant. But that's not looking at the whole picture.

Remember my concept again: Dieter is a poor farm boy from a Reikland villiage. He may be enthusiastic, and he certainly wants to be a hero, but with such a shoddy weapon skill he'd have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn. If I take the militiaman career now, he won't be a very good one. When he gets enough experience to fill out all his raises and becomes a Sergenat, he'll still not be up to much. He'll be a boring character to play.
Instead, I'll start him as a peasant and the first part of the adventure is for Dieter to go out into the world and look for an adventure in which to better himself. That way, when he knows enough to change career, he can be a decent militiaman, and more fun to play. You have to bear in mind that shift of focus from all the other RP games out there that have you play a far more closely restricted character.

It may be that Dieter's experiences change the way he thinks. An encounter with a crooked lawman could turn him to banditry, a particularly harrowing experience could scar his mind and lead him to the life of a doom-saying demagogue, his natural intelligence could make him take uo the study of engineering. It's all about how you roll with the blows and strokes the dice give you.

Now that I've decided to chose the peasant career, I'm on the home strait. I'll take the hardy talent, as well as the sling specialism, so that I can attack from range with more efficiency, and so that Dieter is durable enough to fulfil his destiny. His toughness goes up 5% from 31 to 36. A starting character gets all the skills in his or her career, (except for where he picks one or t'other), and Dieter's farm-yard upbringing gives him an affinity with animals that might stand him in good stead when he has a warhorse of his own.
Having dealt with his skills and noted down his trappings, all that's left is my free advance. Dieter can choose either a 5% bonus to one of the advanceable abilities for his career (practically everything in the case of a peasant) or an increase of +1 to his secondary characteristics (wounds, attacks, bonuses etc). I'll put my +5% on his weapon skill to raise it from it's current 25% to an improved 30%. A little sword-practice with a scare-crow in his father's fields has familiarised Dieter with some of the rudimentary aspects of combat (such as which end of the weapon to hold) before his departure in the big, bad world.

I may chose to spend some of his starting allotment of 2d10 Gold coins on some equipment, but frankly his background demands I don't. He is ready supplied with britches, boots, shirt and cloak, a blanket in a backpack, a tankard and cutlery, dagger and common hand-weapon. All that remains is to flesh out his background and appearance and he's ready to venture into the world.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 09:58
Darius

Still sounds fine to me, just so long as you don't mind walking through the character process with someone without a book. As for eventually becoming the duellist, Dartangan came from humble beginnings did he not? I'm definitely intrigued by this.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 13:30
tyckspoon
Wraith

Member: #380
Hey, I'd have been in for Necromunda but for that you wanted to run it in a system I didn't know. If you're willing to put up with people who don't have system references for this one, I might be in for it too. Maybe a halfling. You have to admire a race that will take a pot of pepper soup to the battlefield and kill knights with it.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 20:02
BigRedRod

I'm completely free of a concept as we stand. Although I'm going with human, the random talents they get are just too tempting.

I'll have to hammer out a concept once I get a look at some stats and career choices. Also if any of the others need a hand with character creation feel free to prod me and I'll try and help.

And good job on the char gen example there Craig, I Think you pretty much managed to cover how the mysterious process works.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 23:36
Kanor
Small Zombie

Member: #1011
I would like to play in this. I have the old edition Rulebook, so if you could tell me any of the major changes then I could make my own character, otherwise I will need your help.
Unread 30th of April, 2005, 23:47
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

Member: #952
I'll be a human, no concept yet, need to know more 'bout the setting-is it futuristic? I read mention of firearms. I like the idea of playing with whatever Craig rolls for me.
Unread 1st of May, 2005, 00:16
BigRedRod

need to know more 'bout the setting-is it futuristic?
Nope, just slightly beyond typically D&D

I would like to play in this. I have the old edition Rulebook, so if you could tell me any of the major changes then I could make my own character, otherwise I will need your help.
Tragically, this is the first edition I've ever looked at in any detail so I can't tell if we are looking at something like the change in rules which occured when AD&D rolled around or when they made 3e. And I'm not sure if Alco is any wiser than me.
Unread 1st of May, 2005, 00:29
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Most definately not.

I suggest you make a character using your rules (and explain all the maths) and then we can change those bits that need fixing.
Unread 1st of May, 2005, 01:16
Fulmen
Spectre

Member: #1173
Originally Posted by Flagg Thornington I read mention of firearms.
I was told by Alcotroll that it is basically really old, powder based firearms. Yeah, make me a dwarf but I won't decide on anything else until my rolls are determined.
Unread 1st of May, 2005, 01:25
Kanor
Small Zombie

Member: #1011
Ok I will go and roll a character up now
Unread 1st of May, 2005, 01:33
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Right. That's a lot of people there.

I have interest from the following:

BigRedRod, Flagg Thornington, Darius, Kanor, Tykspoon and Fulmen.

I'm closing the recruitment, and closing the thread, since I've got more than enough players to go round.

I also think I could have scored a record for the quickest established game- slightly over 24 hours from conception to forum!