Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > treehouse's Games > Containment

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 7th of December, 2009, 13:48
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Mission I: Catch Us If You Can (IC)

Mission Caliber: III
Mission Bundle: five caliber III cover identities

Scene I Objectives

#1: Interview surviving crewmembers of Florence Nightingale (complete)
#2: Search ship for clues (complete)

Scene II Objectives (ONGOING)

#1: Capture Hans Greff
#2: Capture Wo Triad assassin (target of opportunity)

Main Mission Objective: Recover immunization shipment (CRITICAL)

13th of September, 2014, 11:15 PM (UTC)

Victoria Harbour (Tactical)

Sung chafed at the necessity of driving such an ungainly vehicle at the start of this unit's first mission, but it would have looked odd if a CMC investigation team arrived in a pack of racing bikes and exotic sports cars. So it was that he found himself at the wheel of a boxy, black van with military markings on the side, pulling into a parking spot fifty feet from the break in the tall, barbed wire-topped chain link fence that surrounded Victoria Harbour. The security checkpoint was fairly unassuming - a single booth bathed in yellow light from a series of flood lamps. Two guards...hopefully the credentials they had been given would check out. He could see the massive outlines of ships in the distance. Such a long way to walk on foot.

Siu-Juen's eyes were already scanning the nearest warehouse walls - of course there would be cameras. Well, this is what he got for agreeing to a plan that involved walking through the front door. Well, at this distance they would probably have difficulty getting a positive ID, just a profile shot...

Samuel checked over his bland, gray outfit one more time. He was surprised that his new employers had had the foresight to tailor one of these suits for a man his size, but they did seem to be a step ahead of the game - for the most part - so far. He took a deep, cleansing breath as he watched the others fidget. No one in this crew had more to worry about than him - despite the assurances of the ID73 blokes who had shown up with the suits and phones and briefcases that many non-Chinese were employed in CMC, particularly a melting pot like Hong Kong, he couldn't help but think that there weren't many people in this city who looked much like him. Still, he couldn't quite summon up the fear of exposure that the others seemed to be feeling right now. His cool was...intact.

[You've arrived at Victoria Harbour. You are all dressed as members of a Chinese Military Commission investigative team, which is due to arrive shortly anyway. Emily insisted before you left Ma Tseng's that she had means to delay the real team, but it did sound like time was still a factor. Feel free to come up with names (or not) for your cover identities. I'm not going to generate details like that most of the time, unless it is somehow pertinent to the plot. Also, if you have any special prep that your characters might have done before arriving in the van, go ahead and let me know.]

Last edited by treehouse; 21st of January, 2010 at 07:03.
  #2  
Unread 7th of December, 2009, 14:26
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Mission I: Catch Us If You Can [Ops] (IC)

Mission Caliber: III
Mission Bundle: five caliber III cover identities

Scene I Objectives

#1: Set up base of operations (complete)

Scene II Objectives (ONGOING)

#1: Assist Tactical
#2: (UNKNOWN)

Main Mission Objective: Recover immunization shipment (CRITICAL)

13th of September, 2014, 11:15 PM (UTC)


Ma Tseng's (Ops)

Case watched Doyle check his watch for the third time since Tac had left. He didn't need to check - he always had a pretty accurate internal clock running, and if a quarter of the Korean's boasting was true, the team was probably at the Harbour by now. It was strange not really knowing - he had watched all the spy movies and TV shows. People at HQ were always in constant communication with the team on the ground, with satellite uplinks and helmet cameras and everything letting them know exactly what was going on. He supposed that when they were actually set up at a permanent location they would have some of this, perhaps all of it. Right now, he felt like he was getting paid to sit around and bullshit while other people took risks, which wasn't too bad of a gig if he thought about it for a second.

Alicia sighed as the man calling himself Brent sat his briefcase down on one of the larger tables in the middle of the room and began rifling through it for papers.

"Mr. Dylan," he began, addressing Ewan. It had not taken her aback at all when they learned that these men from so-called ID73 had been given a false name for Ewan and no names at all for anyone else, though others had poorly concealed their surprise. Of course their real names wouldn't be given to the labor force. It was just good practice to keep things anonymous; this Asian's name was almost certainly not 'Brent'.

"I have here a list of locations that Miss Emily can secure as permanent headquarters for your Operations unit. We can move you immediately and begin bringing in equipment within the hour. She mentioned that you might already have a location in mind, but here they are for your perusal."

He stepped away, leaving the papers but not the briefcase on the table.

"I will be right outside if you need me."

Ewan walked over to the table and picked up the papers, scanning them quickly.

"The three top floors of a high-rise...a private harbor...and a warehouse in Kowloon City. Hmmph."

The others gathered around the aging pointman. Tian's options and Emily's were all laid out, and the decision was probably fairly important, but the sooner they picked one the better. It was foolish to sit around a tea house while a mission was ongoing.

[Discuss a location, pick one, get back to me. 'Brent' is nearby if you have any questions for him, and Emily is a phone call away. Ultimately, we can make any of these locations work, it's just a matter of style/aesthetics/etc.]

Last edited by treehouse; 21st of January, 2010 at 07:05. Reason: typos, contextual errors. bleh
  #3  
Unread 7th of December, 2009, 17:56
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.68 per day)
No one left the van immediately, instead reviewing their gear, and their identities.

"Humberto Ho Hao-Tao," Siu-Juen said. "Is that a real name? Humberto? I don't know if I can say that seriously. Maybe Katsuri can be in charge, pass for Chinese." He unbuckled his seatbelt and leaned forward, poking his head into the next row of seats to get a better look at her. After trading stares for a moment, Siu-Juen withdrew silently.

"...And what am I going to say about the bandages? 'Sorry, cooking noodles yesterday, burned my face'." Siu-Juen slid open the door of the van, and took a deep breath of the dense, humid air rushing inside.

"Somebody else do the talking, I don't get it. Not one bit."
  #4  
Unread 7th of December, 2009, 18:12
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.68 per day)
"Interesting locations, though as you've seen, my own options match them," said Tian. "Though, I have a yacht we could use to increase the usable space in the harbour. That could allow us to make much of our headquarters mobile—presuming that we can bypass quarantine restrictions."
  #5  
Unread 7th of December, 2009, 22:57
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.72 per day)
"The only problem I have with the yacht is the possibility of disrupted computer access. I suspect that the impact on my abilities would be almost negligible, but on the off chance that the the others need my help to shut off an alarm or something and I can't, it could be deadly.
  #6  
Unread 7th of December, 2009, 23:11
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.72 per day)
"Let the lady talk. Not much for conversation here."

Preston double-checked his weapon placements, assuring himself that if the shit hit the fan, he'd be ready to respond in time. Not that he was hoping for blood. It made things easier if there was less mess to clean up. Literally.

The gunman reviewed his cover name, hoping he'd remember to respond to it correctly. Assassins didn't do the cover stuff much, and what he had in the way of Private Investigator experience was focused mainly on interrogation, intimidation, and violence, not fake IDs and sweet-talking. A good bullet to a knee cap wasn't deadly, but it got people talking PDQ. But back to the ID thing, they couldn't come up with a better name than Jack? At least they hadn't come up with the last name Hoff to really set it up.
  #7  
Unread 7th of December, 2009, 23:28
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
Kate frowned, looking them over.
"My stuff's going to take up a lot of space... I'd rather not go with the yacht, a little bit too... unstable."
After a few moments, "The high rise? Would have other people going in and out, wouldn't look like an abandoned building. Plenty of room, good access to power and a network."
  #8  
Unread 8th of December, 2009, 00:33
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.70 per day)
"Cao? Really? They decided to name me Cao?" Sung shook his head in abject dissapointment.

"Yeah, yeah, let doll face do the talking. That's just fine with me," he muttered as he got out of the van. He could think of at least ten things it was more suited to than actually driving.
  #9  
Unread 8th of December, 2009, 00:48
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.70 per day)
"I don't like ID73 having the prints all over a place," Ewan replied. "I don't know them well enough to trust all of their motives, so I would prefer to go with one of Tian's locations. The apartment building should satisfy all of our requirements, and there has been enough evacuation of Hon Kong due to Contagion that a partially empty apartment building shouldn't attract too much attention."
  #10  
Unread 8th of December, 2009, 02:14
jiffypop's Avatar
jiffypop
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member: #7690
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 151 (0.05 per day)
Kat let out a deep irritated sigh as she arranged her features to reflect the self importance and business like manner that one in the CMC might wear.
What makes them think I want to do all the talking? It amused Kat greatly that they had to turn to her to get the job done but she really hated being a front man. People pissed her off and having to have too much direct contact with them usually ended in someone's death.


Stepping out of the van Kat walked directly to the guard post, looking every bit as if she belonged there. In fact, the slight look of disgust she had on her face lent itself more to the illusion that she was in charge and less to the repugnance she felt having to take the lead.


"I am Jin-Kia Tou and this is the rest of my investigating unit, we are here to look it to the disappearance of the immunizations so please step aside and let us do our job."
  #11  
Unread 8th of December, 2009, 03:56
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Katsuri's confident-seeming advance was briefly blocked by one of the security guards, who stepped in front of them with a bored look on his face, one hand holding a clipboard and the other casually resting on the service pistol at his hip.

The bored look was replaced with one of poorly concealed terror when he saw the gray uniforms and the somewhat murderous look on Katsuri's face.

He stepped aside quickly, muttering hasty apologies.

"Miss, uhh, Jin-Kia..." he stammered without really looking at her, "...the survivors are in building #78, foreman's office upstairs. Take first stairs up to catwalk. Tanker is docked nearby. You can't miss it, only one bearing U.S. markings in port right now. Blessings on you and good day."

Without another glance, he retreated to the outpost. Samuel could hear him chattering in a high-pitched voice to the other guard about his close encounter with 'genuine law', or at least that was how the Cantonese expression for badass motherfuckers from CMC would have come out in English.

Siu-Juen was just happy that their cover identities were the sort that made people reluctant to look him full in the face.

They walked purposefully in the direction of building #78. The harbor wasn't terribly busy, but the few dockworkers in their path were just as eager to get out of the way as the security guard had been. It was a long walk, but without further obstruction it was a quick one.

Building #78 was a warehouse, as expected. The way upstairs was not guarded. They could see a little prefabricated office with brightly lit windows along the catwalk almost directly above them. The warehouse itself was not quite empty - a few scattered forklifts and pallets of wooden crates, but no workers or really anyone at all in sight. Preston marveled at the poor security; if whoever had attacked the Florence Nightingale decided to send assassins to finish off witnesses, they would have an easy time of it.

[Katsuri's Bluff (Deception) check - 21, success. Samuel's Notice check to hear frantic security guard chatter - 28, success.]
  #12  
Unread 8th of December, 2009, 03:57
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.68 per day)
"Excellent. I will show you the apartment first." Tian produced an expensive-looking black PDA from her purse, and quickly set it to play an image slideshow of the building, for each member of the team to watch; when the PDA reached his hands, Case couldn't help but notice that the PDA was a cheap copy of a Blackberry 8800.
  #13  
Unread 8th of December, 2009, 14:44
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
Hobb noted the guard's chatter. The mission was still on, no point in bringing it up.
He continued, bringing up the rear, eyes slowly scanning the harbor.

He maintained a passive, calm face, notable in its complete lack of emotion. The others could handle the talking.
  #14  
Unread 8th of December, 2009, 14:56
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
"Huuuh. Ok."

She watched the slideshow for a bit, then broke away, fishing for a cellphone in the pockets of her jacket.
After a few rings, "Heeeyy Andy. Yeah, set. Uhhuh. No, I'll come around, maybe tomorrow, get some stuff. Yeah. No, they got money, might as well leave the junk at the shack. Yeah, keep Stepland off my back. Yeah. Haha, noooo, silly, I mean clothes. Haha, talk to you later. Bye!"

She walked back, looking at Ewan, smiling. "'k, my equipment is pretty low priority for now. Assuming I won't have much to do until we get ahold of samples, right? I've got enough backlogs of printouts that I could still be productive for a week, so I'd rather you take the time to get better quality stuff. Andy'll hold down the fort, keep my other investors content."
  #15  
Unread 9th of December, 2009, 00:44
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.70 per day)
Sung hung back in the crowd, not really wanting to be at the foreground. Searching scenes and asking polite questions wasn't really what he was into, and if he had to get back in that box on wheels for any length of time... he gave a small shudder.
  #16  
Unread 9th of December, 2009, 04:41
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.68 per day)
"Maybe there's an office in here?" said Siu-Juen, confused. "Thought it'd be busier. Maybe the witnesses have been gathered in one place."
  #17  
Unread 9th of December, 2009, 14:03
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
They continued up the stairs onto the catwalk that wrapped around the interior wall, boots clicking ominously as they approached the foreman's office, which took up an entire corner of the catwalk level.

They were all professionals (to varying degrees, depending on one's definition of 'professional'), so they did not slow their pace when they could see into the office. Five shaken-looking American sailors were visible through the windows, being talked to by a pair of officers from HKPD. One of the officers - an older Chinese man with sharp eyes - turned and stared in the Tactical team's direction. He took in the gray uniforms and visibly sighed.
  #18  
Unread 9th of December, 2009, 16:46
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.68 per day)
Siu-Juen was feeling exposed and nervous as he entered, a state he resolved to hide by feigning ridiculous self-confidence. Staring the officer in the eye with a wordless, exaggerated simper, he made his way to the side of the room, and let the others speak first.
  #19  
Unread 10th of December, 2009, 01:18
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.70 per day)
Offering a lop-sided grin, Sung moved to the opposite side from Siu-Juen. He leaned agaisnt the wall and stuck his hands in his pockets, figuring that what they wanted hear was a gentle touch instead of direct intimidation.
  #20  
Unread 10th of December, 2009, 02:08
jiffypop's Avatar
jiffypop
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member: #7690
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 151 (0.05 per day)
Everyone's silence was grating to say the least. She thought she would only have to get them in not lead the whole god damned thing. What a bunch of chicken shits this team was turning out to be.
Knowing what she had to do, Kat scanned the room quickly and assumed that the elderly man was in charge. She gave him a withering look as if to ask why he was still here hindering their process. If he knew what was good for him he should have cleared the room as soon as he saw CMC coming down the catwalk.
We will take this from here, leave now.
  #21  
Unread 10th of December, 2009, 02:16
jiffypop's Avatar
jiffypop
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member: #7690
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 151 (0.05 per day)
Digging in her purse Alicia pulled out a yogurt and plastic spoon. She didn't care where they were staying as long as they picked somewhere soon, she was tired.
  #22  
Unread 10th of December, 2009, 04:18
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.72 per day)
Preston was amused at Kat's entrance, thinking that he would have handled it about the same. Except a few choice curse words thrown in there for good measure. If the HKPD hated the CMC, there was no reason to try to play it cool or assuage hard feelings. Fuck em both, he thought as he went about trying to usher the HKPD out. He was vaguely conciliatory in motion, trying to just barely cover a sense of complete disdain for the uniformed police officers, attempting to play on the intense feelings between the two organizations without setting off a firestorm.
  #23  
Unread 10th of December, 2009, 04:28
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
The younger of the two had finally noticed them just before Kat entered the room, and he looked inclined to jump out a window as soon as mess with them. The older merely straightened to his full height so he could meet Katsuri's eyes directly.

"I am Inspector Jen, and I am not going anywhere until I see some credentials."
  #24  
Unread 10th of December, 2009, 11:12
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.68 per day)
The inspector took a few steps closer to Kat, past Siu-Juen, who took the opportunity to screw around. Siu-Juen leaned forward and gave the younger officer a thumbs-up, with an expression no less asinine than before.
  #25  
Unread 10th of December, 2009, 11:59
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
Samuel immediately locked eyes with the older inspector, managing to be remarkably intimidating while giving no overt evidence of threats.
He moved to one of the open corners of the room, saying nothing. Things were going well. Well-ish.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren