Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > treehouse's Games > Containment

Unread 16th of September, 2009, 08:12
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
In that case I suggest adding actual sound effects to every post.

“ Originally Posted by zachol Samuel Hobb suddenly hurls Riptor back, and screams "C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!" ”
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 10:35
LeadPal

The more I think about this, the more I'm interested. All my games have an appalling lack of violence.

My character would be based on the original pitch for Get Smart, where Max kills a man with his bare hands in every episode.
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 12:02
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Two questions -

1) Do you have the Spycraft 2.0 book?

2) Can you keep it themed on 'Chop Sockey' high octane violence (Hong Kong setting)?

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 12:50
LeadPal

“ 1) Do you have the Spycraft 2.0 book? ”
Yeah, I found a copy.

“ 2) Can you keep it themed on 'Chop Sockey' high octane violence (Hong Kong setting)? ”
I think I know what you mean. I was going to play a secondary, skill-based character and let the others do the heavy lifting in combat. The character would be spectacularly dangerous in real life, but a bit of a wuss compared to the rest of the party, because the party is just that badass.

I guess a lot of it depends on how useful skills are really going to be, and how useful the skill-monkeys in Spycraft are in a kung-fu brawl.
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 14:30
treehouse

I definitely would build someone who could function in a bloodbath. I will probably use the 'violent' campaign quality as well (more crit threats all around), so it will be a pretty intense game.

You might consider a wheelman, they are actually pretty well rounded. Or a faceman. Let me know, either way welcome aboard.

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 15:18
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Not to jump on writing someone else's character, but maybe something like...

Scrappy Chinese speed-freak, absolutely insane behind the wheel of a car. Also a mechanical engineer, does his own repairs, builds. In combat, relies on excessive speed and maneuverability.
He often takes advantage of the environment, strategically placing explosives to destroy supports and take out large groups of targets, or to remove avenues of escape or reinforcement.
Sets up ambushes, sabotauges vehicles and machinery, etc.
Handy with a gun and has some martial arts ability, but prefers to avoid direct fights.

Or something.
Kind of a broad range of things, maybe a subset, or whatever.
I could imagine someone who, while we're beating the crap out of everyone, runs ahead to actually complete the objective.

Last edited by zachol; 16th of September, 2009 at 15:22.
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 15:54
LeadPal

Sort of like that, except less boring.
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 16:32
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Well durr, of course less boring.
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 18:04
LeadPal

Hmmm...
“ I will need to figure out how to determine the end of a 'session' in a play-by-post. Maybe I'll change all instances of 'per session' to 'per scene'. Thoughts? ”
Per movie! Every in-game thread is its own feature film, containing a story arc filled with explosions, and fistfights, and awesome. The epic story is continued through sequels. Many, many sequels, hopefully.

Or "per chapter" would make sense too.
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 18:36
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

"Episode," like tv series level of action/content.
Each episode has three or so significant... scenes, or whatever.

Or whatever. Three combats/dramatic scenes. -ish.

Last edited by zachol; 16th of September, 2009 at 18:43.
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 21:05
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Okay, for character concept I'm thinking Grammaton Cleric as a starting point. Thoughts?
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 21:41
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I've just read through all the classes, and sadly none of them fit right. It would be a combination of Martial Artist, Snoop, and Soldier, ideally. The idea is that he would dual wield pistols in a martial arts fashion, such that the pistol acts almost like a melee weapon. The martial artist class would be nearly perfect except that it relies on melee or unarmed attacks, and the Grammaton Cleric, although good with melee and unarmed attacks, is focused on the pistol. In the film, the pistols don't have much in the way of range when he goes all out, maybe 15 feet max, but they are clearly ranged.

Suggestions? I'd like to avoid too much multiclassing as it looks like that would dilute the characters a bit too much.

EDIT - D'oh! Missed the Expert classes thing. Could do martial artist through career level 4, then pick up Triggerman for 5 and 6. Problem solved.

Last edited by Mercutio; 16th of September, 2009 at 22:33.
Unread 16th of September, 2009, 23:14
treehouse

That is an excellent solution to get to the concept you want.

LP - sleuth/stuntman is an odd combo. What's the goal?

Unread 17th of September, 2009, 00:44
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Crunching numbers now, but I'll have a rudimentary character sheet up soon.
Unread 17th of September, 2009, 00:49
treehouse

Just a note - if you thought soldier was an overall better fit for a gun play character, I have a couple of mods in mind to make it more fitting for this style of campaign, mostly to do with removing the armor and cover affinities. If the martial artist to triggerman combo is working for you, go for it though.

Edit: LP - you can't enter an expert class until you have at least 4 levels under your belt, so you'd have to be a sleuth 4/stuntman 2 (or whatever).

Last edited by treehouse; 17th of September, 2009 at 00:52.
Unread 17th of September, 2009, 07:23
LeadPal

“ LP - sleuth/stuntman is an odd combo. What's the goal? ”
Sleuth isn't that much worse in a fight than Faceman or Wheelman, but it's got lots of skills and is awesome by analysis. Ferreting out information is a skill he honed in prison, and that allowed him to learn of the organization. But it's his willingness to throw away his life on insane gambits (like his explosive escape) that got him in.

So sleuth gives me the skills I want, while stuntman gives me survivability (and the best wire-fu ever). I'm still trying to figure out how best to actually do damage, but hey, work in progress.

“ LP - you can't enter an expert class until you have at least 4 levels under your belt, so you'd have to be a sleuth 4/stuntman 2 (or whatever). ”
I missed that. I'll probably need to splash some soldier/martial artist for more combat ability anyways.
Unread 17th of September, 2009, 07:35
treehouse

Cool, sleuth seems like a good fit for your concept. A splash of soldier would give you a weapon gear pick and a bonus feat (I think, don't actually have the book in front of me).

One thing to keep in mind is that once you have a skill as a class skill, it is always a class skill.

Unread 17th of September, 2009, 08:07
LeadPal

“ Just a note - if you thought soldier was an overall better fit for a gun play character, I have a couple of mods in mind to make it more fitting for this style of campaign, mostly to do with removing the armor and cover affinities. ”
I'd like to see this variant. My character learned to fight from weekend classes in Wing Chun and gangs, so he'd be more undisciplined and gun-focused than the martial artist, but not a military man like the soldier.
Unread 17th of September, 2009, 08:19
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Is this game going to be set in Japan or thereabouts? How handicapped will I be if I choose a culture of North America? If it will be pretty handicapping, I'll have to swap two skill points around into Culture for another region.
Unread 17th of September, 2009, 08:34
treehouse

I'm not really sure what to do with the portable cover ability at levels 10 and 20, but that could be determined later.

For the armor use ones, here is my take.
“
Replace armor use I with bonus feat Favored Gear (any one weapon).

Replace armor use II with bonus feat Signature Gear.

Replace armor use III with bonus feat Trademark Gear.

Replace armor use IV with unique ability to apply bonuses from above feats to one additional weapon pick during Intel Phase.

Replace armor use V with unique ability to apply bonuses from above feats to one additional weapon pick during Intel Phase (total of two).
”

This would be kind of an all-out offense soldier variant, and I think it is honestly more fitting for the game's only true gun nut class to have a couple of weapons that he's given names to. The armor thing for soldiers always seemed more like something that belongs in an expert class that specializes in defense.

Not sure what to do with portable cover. If no one is planning to take 10+ levels in soldier it doesn't really matter within the scope of this campaign, since NPCs don't use PC classes.

Unread 17th of September, 2009, 08:43
treehouse

Merc - definitely make sure your character can get around in east Asia.

Unread 17th of September, 2009, 09:39
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Okay, I've read over the gear section and the "code" info several times. Can someone break it down into plainer English to me? How much gear do I get to pick? According to Triggerman 2, I only get 1W. Does that mean I really only get to pick 1 Weapon? Or do they add up for each previous level? So I get three weapons and one security from my martial arts levels and 1 weapon from Triggerman?

Last edited by Mercutio; 17th of September, 2009 at 09:43.
Unread 17th of September, 2009, 09:57
treehouse

1) You get a number of gear picks from your combined class levels. A level 4 martial artist gets 1 weapon and 1 security pick. a level 2 triggerman gets 1 weapon pick, so you get a total of 2 weapon picks and one security pick every mission from your class levels.

2) You gain a number of permanent gear picks of your choice based on your Posessions score. These aren't 'per mission', they are permanent choices.

3) You gain a number of gear picks per mission equal to (I think) your starting action dice. These gear picks come from categories determined by me per mission.

4) You gain additional gear picks based on any feats you may have that would give you gear (Extra Gear, Favored Gear, etc.)

5) You gain additional gear picks per mission at my discretion beyond these, but each additional gear pick I grant also awards me one additional action dice.

Basically, you really only need to 'choose' your permanent gear from certain feats and your Possession score. Everything else is picked during the Intel phase of a mission and varies from one mission to the next. If I have you all storming a heavily fortified Yakuza compound in one mission, that is going to require different gear picks than if I want you to protect a diplomat from an assassin cartel in a different mission.

Unread 17th of September, 2009, 10:55
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Okay then, so Wealth is determined by class and Cha. Does that mean I have 2 Wealth (per the Wealth entry for Triggerman) or is that cumulative to be 3 (so 1 from Martial Artist and 2 from Triggerman)?

It makes the difference between a lifestyle of 1 or 2, as I'll be taking a Possession score of 2 and a Spending Cash of 1.
Unread 17th of September, 2009, 11:38
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Okay then, I think I'm done.