Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Ergonomic Cat's Games > Our Eyes Have Seen The Glory

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 8th of September, 2010, 11:23
Ergonomic Cat's Avatar
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member: #8160
Location: La Crosse, WI (No zombies)
Posts: 845 (0.27 per day)
Issue 2: Scene of the Crime

The heroes arrived in each of their own ways, singly or in small groups. A half mile away, people mill about still, photographers, hero wanna-bes, and hangers-on. Nobody important, but not important enough to shoo away. A quarter mile away, a police barricade is in place, although unstaffed. A few brave souls venture past, but quickly turn back, instant headaches and body aches driving them away. 300 yards away, the time-seal is immediately obvious - shimmering in the late afternoon sun, waves of power radiate from the translucent dome.

Looking through the boundary, no immediate details are obvious, but it is quite clearly a scene of decimation. At least two buildings have taken fatal injuries, and likely will collapse shortly after the removal of the field. A fire perches on a storefront, frozen in place, but greedily licking its lips in anticipation of freedom. A pair of confused birds hover inches from the barrier, ready to leave the chaos and confusion to the greater species.

The heroes were given passcards which they display prominently on their costumes. Moira's slipped off as she beheld the birth of the most brilliant creature the galaxy has seen in 500 years, followed almost immediately by its death at the fang of a monstrous beast. The headaches are instantaneous, the body aches quick to follow. Replacing the pass card leaves only a lingering pain, but it is more than enough to remind her (and everyone else who hears her complain loudly and at length) not to lose the cards again.

The robot warned that the field had mere minutes left, but arrival makes it clear that until it is down, there is little to recommend the area. A few minutes wait, and it will be time to enter.

A quick investigation of the surrounding area finds five independent cameras - one on a parking garage, one a store front, one an ATM, and two in the window of a department store. A few spatters of blood made it beyond the shield, but there is nothing else of interest until the unveiling.

=====================

OOC: Not hugely long, but I think it should set the scene. If anyone wants to do quick investigations, or make plans prior to the lifting, feel free. If not, simply post a quick "I wait." Also, see the OOC post if you haven't already.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 8th of September, 2010, 11:54
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.24 per day)
Shadow smoothes the front of his coat with one hand as he surveys the scene before the boundary of the time bubble. Taking a deep breath and letting it out in a slow sigh he walks gingerly forward to where the spatters of blood are, near the border of the barrier.

Slipping some small containers and tools out from within his coat he takes several samples of the blood from different locations in the various spatter patterns, scraping or scooping as necessary. The idea is to sample from each spatter pattern to hopefully get a sample of anyone/everyone that was wounded in the fight. ( i.e. when the barrier goes down he will do this again within the bubble's confines. ) When that is done he seals his used containers and repockets them.
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 8th of September, 2010, 12:05
dabocim's Avatar
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member: #7702
Location: Longmont
Posts: 1,009 (0.30 per day)
Obsidian Dawn for the first time actually felt the gravity of the situation, sure she'd seen people killed before but this was total destruction. She looked around and saw the dead bodies that had been flung into the streets by the blast and what remained of those inside the blast. There were no words to express her sorrow, many people had died today and no one even knew who to blame. In her mind that seemed to be worse than knowing that they died. Then she began to feel fear, fear for the fact that the murderers could be anyone and anywhere. They could have even been someone she knew. She knew that Psycho knew what she was thinking, as she was right next to her, but she couldn't help even suspecting those who she had just met. After a minute she regained her composure and said to Psycho, "I'm sorry. Now let's get to work." She went over to one of the buildings and looked to see where the blast had been set off from. In her mind she replayed the footage of the building exploding and realized that the blast had to have originated from inside the building where the dead heroes were. This was a truly horrifying fact because the heroes were either killed by one of their own or someone like her. She turned to the Wiz and said, "Can you get the data from the security cameras before the timeshield goes down?"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 8th of September, 2010, 14:35
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.67 per day)
The Wiz stared at the sparkling of the time-seal in awe. This was tech beyond anything she'd ever dealt with before. Forget the robot, that was just computing, which was rather boring. This was playing games with the time-space continuum, and possibly without magic! My god, if she could just reverse engineer this...

When Obsidian Dawn addressed her, she took a few moments to respond and when she did, it was just with a distracted "Hmm?" without tearing her visor-enhanced vision from the barrier. Every filter she put it though came up interesting - energy patterns naturally, but the EM fields were going all kinds of crazy too, and looking at slowed infrared in night-vision was all kinds of cool.

[The Wiz is basically just waiting. If you want to apply my free stone to discovering any goodies about the time-seal go ahead, but The Wiz has been completely distracted from the actual mission]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 8th of September, 2010, 20:31
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.24 per day)
After finishing the collection of his samples Shadow walks slowly over to stand nearby The Wiz. He shifts on his feet for moment, turning back to look at the glimmering surface of the time field before the group. Then something else seems to catch his attention, something that his eye follows.

Leaning a bit towards The Wiz he places a hand on the small of her back and nods in the direction of his attention as he speaks to her. "Can you take a closer look at those?" he says, gently. "I don't recognize them as any of the species that I have seen here locally. Something about them is different."

He is indicating the birds, the pair that are flying nearby the time-field. When he speaks it is a light, conversational tone... Though it is clear all the same he consdiers the matter with some seriousness. "Are there any shapeshifters among the locals? Mmm. I should like to capture those birds for a closer inspection if it were possible."
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 8th of September, 2010, 23:22
Thanos's Avatar
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #894
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,437 (0.66 per day)
For those that were new and those that were old, the scene was a travesty of betrayal. The message was clearly one of terror, not unlike those the Mexican drug cartels continually sent.

"If you need the birds, I can get them for you. How unharmed do you want them?"

Meanwhile Blue Blazes has brought out a small notebook and a pen to take down the addresses and locations of the camera's. Demanding the footage from them sounds like a job for Iron Eagles robot if they have not already made the request.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 9th of September, 2010, 00:01
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.67 per day)
The word 'unharmed' was enough to wrench The Wiz' attention away from the Time-Shield.

"Is it really necessary to harm anyone?"

She then looked beyond the time-shield and into the destruction, and was forced to turn away before she vomited. It was even worse in person than on TV.

Clearing her throat, and turning to face Shadow, The Wiz spoke. "I can get a pretty close and detailed look at them, from multiple perspectives, but I don't know anything about birds, so I won't be able to identify them. I could describe to you what I see? And Mr. Blue Blazes, why would your first reaction be to harm the birds? What did they do to you?"

The Wiz turned to look at the birds, and communicate what she saw to Shadow.

[OOC: Analyse the birds with Targeting (2 free stones). If I can use the Enhanced Vision feature again, do the analysis across all media available. Ergo, feel free to post The Wiz' description of the birds for her.]
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 9th of September, 2010, 00:51
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.69 per day)
Hoplite patiently waited for the field to come down. Investigations were not his area of expertise and his powers of observation was not the reason why had been "tagged" to be part of this group.

So he waited, and observed. He paid particular interest in to how he would have staged the attack. Quick, sudden decisive. The attackers had accomplished all of those things. Now it was a question of how much evidence they had left behind and if the brains of the oepration could point the muscle in the right direction.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 9th of September, 2010, 01:28
Ergonomic Cat's Avatar
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member: #8160
Location: La Crosse, WI (No zombies)
Posts: 845 (0.27 per day)
Dabocim: The buildings are inside the time field. Do you want to try to enter the shield toinvestigate?

The Wiz turns her attention to the two birds Shadow had mentioned. It was hard to focus on them initially - very likely the time shield was plating havoc with the visor. After some twiddling with the dials (one combination of settings resulted in a view that somehow seemed to combine infrared and sonic data in a very interesting way, which Emily very nearly stopped to jot down) she was able to bring them in to focus.

"I'm not sure what to look for. They're grey mostly. Some white. Kinda pretty. Looks like they're 28.55 cm and 29.67 cm. 72 to 75 grams estimated weight. One just ate a bug."

Emily turns to Shadow and shrugs smiling sheepishly. "Anything more?"

OOC: The time shield is about to drop, unbeknownst to Emily and Shadow. I'm going to give the others a chance to get a post or two in during this same timespan, and then we'll move forward.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 9th of September, 2010, 02:06
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.71 per day)
Brunt, like Hoplite, just stood around waiting. The ability to grow or shrink was not exactly conducive to investigation, and coupled with the fact that the baseball player just wasn't all that bright, and knew it, he decided he'd just tag along in case something needed to be punched or stepped on.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 9th of September, 2010, 04:47
Thanos's Avatar
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #894
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,437 (0.66 per day)
Originally Posted by Explosive Cheese # "Is it really necessary to harm anyone?"
"That my dear is exactly why I asked. One need not perform more violence than absolutely necessary. However, one still needs to perform the tasks required. It would be much harder to just clip each birds wing, disabling them, than to just put one through their central mass. However, if necessary I could drop them with my psi-bow, but that is pretty flashy. Finally, if worst comes to worst, I could teleport to them, try and grab them. However, the last option is the most dangerous if they are something other than just birds......"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 9th of September, 2010, 06:44
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.67 per day)
"Hmm. Well you better make sure it is 'absolutely necessary'. I don't believe in harming anyone or anything for the so-called greater good. Wounding those birds is bad enough, you better not kill them. And I don't see what the fuss is anyway. They seem to be just birds. Can't we just leave them alone?"

The Wiz turned her attention back to the time-shield. She wanted to catch it as it came down, since observing a changing phenomenon usually reveals more than just a static one. Since she had no idea when the shield would come down, she was determined not to let it out of her sight until it did.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 9th of September, 2010, 08:31
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.24 per day)
"Let us not take a stray shot with a firearm now, in such a populated area, if it can be avoided. But yes, I would prefer to have them unharmed for inspection. In times like these the smallest details may be of significance." Shadow says mildly.
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 9th of September, 2010, 09:28
Krypton's Avatar
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member: #7768
Posts: 1,166 (0.35 per day)
Psycho looks at the birds, and wonders why they're obsessing over them, focusing on the Time Field and awash in the thoughts of her fellows, who, thankfully, all seemed to have focused on the task at hand.

Psycho tried and failed to block out the wild, unrestrained caucophony of the the surrounding crowd's idiocy. There was only so many voices you could hear "Who did this?" "What could of done this?" or "Good riddance to Fight the Power, anyway!" in all of their many variations, but the headache from dropping the badge had persisted. Probing the badge had revealed nothing. It seemed like this wasn't the kind of gig you gave two weeks' notice.

Psycho surveyed the carnage, and the visions of the night Fight the Power had died returned to her. Her eyes instinctively searched for a flagpole, even as her mind worked to piece together what the evidence her compatriots were trying to collect would achieve. Could the birds be shapeshifters?

"Ignore the birds. If they're birds, they'll come to me simple. If not, they'll come to me the hard way. What else can we see? Think big. And, please, think out loud for now."
__________________
GM
none currently
Player
To the Arena! To the Death!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 9th of September, 2010, 12:10
dabocim's Avatar
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member: #7702
Location: Longmont
Posts: 1,009 (0.30 per day)
Originally Posted by Ergonomic Cat # Dabocim: The buildings are inside the time field. Do you want to try to enter the shield toinvestigate?
if i can
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 10th of September, 2010, 14:58
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.24 per day)
As the sheild goes down Shadow will be scanning for movement. If anything was left within the bubble that could still be alive and/or active, that is what he is trying to ascertain first.
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 10th of September, 2010, 21:15
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.71 per day)
Brunt stared in awe as the shield came down. The kind of power used in such a thing was simply amazing. But even despite his denseness, the ballplayer did keep an eye out for anything that might endanger nearby people.

Last edited by Mercutio; 10th of September, 2010 at 23:35.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 10th of September, 2010, 21:47
dabocim's Avatar
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member: #7702
Location: Longmont
Posts: 1,009 (0.30 per day)
Obsidian Dawn watched in awe as the time shield came down and the world around her snapped back into motion. She looked for any falling buildings or any survivors from the decimating explosion
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 11th of September, 2010, 03:18
Thanos's Avatar
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #894
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,437 (0.66 per day)
The shield sputtered and became even more transparent as it finally started to come down. Blue Blazes was not even looking inside the bubble. What he was looking at was various people, camera's, and locations people could be looking in from.

Everybody else is looking in, better make sure there is at least somebody looking out and at anybody who might want to cover all or any of this up!

Blue pulls his rifle off his shoulder and wraps the sling around his arm. Initially its pointed at the ground, but ready to be pulled up at any second.

Last edited by Thanos; 11th of September, 2010 at 07:16.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 11th of September, 2010, 03:44
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.69 per day)
Hoplite quickly moved in to the area that the bubble had been protecting, eyes open and alert for any movement, hostile or otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 11th of September, 2010, 06:51
Krypton's Avatar
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member: #7768
Posts: 1,166 (0.35 per day)
Psycho thought she'd at least humor the folks who were concerned with the birds, as a sense of change started to seep out of the time field. She quickly prepared to ensnare the minds of the birds, distributing the full might of her telepathic power between the two.

Best not to take chances. If it was a waste of time, she'd make them pester Blue Blazes until he apologized.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 11th of September, 2010, 14:15
Ergonomic Cat's Avatar
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member: #8160
Location: La Crosse, WI (No zombies)
Posts: 845 (0.27 per day)
The constant thrum emanating from the time shield changed subtly in pitch, dropping slightly to a frequency that resonated deeply in the chests of all those nearby. A slight smell of ozone filled the air as the barrier began to shimmer and flicker just before it dropped.

The Wiz stood stock still, every piece of her being focused on the barrier. If her eyes could have opened any wider, to take in more, they would have. Her vision whirred, chirped and whistled frantically as it attempted to record everything and anything, analyzing it in 17 different dimensions of data.

Shadow, Brunt and Hoplite stood ready to guard, eyes scanning across the area rapidly and clinically. The threats within were unknown, but the potential for violence had already been realized once - there was no reason it couldn't happen again.

Obsidian Dawn is tensed and ready as well, but her eyes seek danger of another sort. Her hands clench unconsciously as she seeks any locations that would provide a landing point if she needs to leap in.

Blue Blazes continued to scan the surrounding area, watching for ambushers or voyeurs equally.

And Psycho, true to form, stood watching birds.

Seconds after it began, the shield thinned fantastically fast. As it passed to complete transparency, a brilliant and blinding flash of light erupted from within with a rush of heat and air. Even The Wiz's visor was unable to cope with the flare immediately, and it simply flashed to total blackness in an attempt to compensate.

For all but Blue Blazes, the next several seconds were filled with cursing, blinking, and flashes of light in colors that are both unnatural and nauseating. When vision clears for each of them, the scene is brought to sharp focus nearly instantly as each person takes in a piece of the tableau.

Blue Blazes, watching beyond the bubble, notes only one thing of note - a motorcycle drives up rapidly, with no driver. Seconds after it arrives, a man stands in its place, his hair disheveled, but his face split in a grin for just a second before he too observes the scene.

The scene within is strangely still - nearly serene, save for the gruesome tableau. From the edges, it's hard to see much - rubble and debris block most of ground zero. A man's severed arm lies clearly visible, but there is little else to see from the current position.
As everyone begins to react, Hoplite moves quickly inside the former perimeter, but sees nothing. The others watching for trouble likewise find none visible.

Obsidian Dawn surveys the scene quickly, but nothing seems in immediate danger of collapse.

And Psycho heroically reaches out to mentally control a pair of jays, demonstrating the immense power of her mind. Unfortunately, some how her mental fingers find no purchase, and the birds begin to rapidly make their way out of sight.

-------------------

OOC: For the moment, please limit your actions to a panel or two worth of events - I suspect it may be required for a bit at least.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 11th of September, 2010, 14:26
Krypton's Avatar
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member: #7768
Posts: 1,166 (0.35 per day)
"Shoot those fucking things!" Psycho snarls, as her mind is rebuffed by the animals' 'simple' brain. "They're not birds."

And she snarled, re-applying herself to the task at hand. Her mind reached out to a point between them, and her consciousness expanded as she attempted to snatch them both within one powerful blast of telepathic thought - a net, to catch the birds and bend them to her will.

-------

OOC: 7 stones of telepathy, with 1 stone applied to area, giving a 5 foot radius around the birds.

Last edited by Krypton; 11th of September, 2010 at 14:29.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 11th of September, 2010, 14:51
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.24 per day)
Shadow's response is immediate. He reaches over his right shoulder, slinging his rifle out of the sheath there, and bring it shoulder in a smooth motion that shows long familiarity. His left hand produces a detachable scope and slides it into place to the tune of several audible clicks as it locks into place. A quick pull on the bolt and the weapon is ready.

As his arms do this work he slides forward to brace the weapon against a solid peice of the debris. A jagged bit of concrete that is all that remains of some ill-fated building. Letting his breath out slowly he waits, drawing a careful aim on his target, the farthest of the two birds. No impatient machine-gun style shooter is this one. No.

Instead, despite the rapidness of the deployment of his weapon a silent count of three heartbeats could gauge the time he spends in measuring the shot. Then he releases, a slow squeeze of the trigger when the moment feels 'right'.
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 11th of September, 2010, 16:20
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.67 per day)
Everything seems to happen at once. The shield comes down , her visor switches to darkness to protect her from the flare, Hoplite dashes in, Psycho starts yelling, and now Shadow is shooting at one of the birds!

"Hey, Shadow! I thought we weren't going to be killing them unless absolutely necessary! Even if they aren't birds, they're living creatures, you can't just go around killing whatever you feel like! Oooh, I hope it's all right..."

As The Wiz rants to Shadow, several separate thought processes run through her mind.

(I got a lot of data on the time shield. This is truly spectacular technology. UV masking chronotrons...)

(the safety feature on the visor seems to be working properly, but I'll have to allow for partial filtering in the future, possibly with a multi-level interface...)

[OOC: Okay, trying out my Schtick. Any thoughts in parentheses will be running concurrent to her dialogue and actions, possibly including Int/Knowledge/Tech/Invent actions themselves. Use 4 stones in Invent to begin coming up with a feature for the visor that will allow for partial vision in intense light in the future.

I'm assuming that The Wiz didn't see Bike Star arrive and transform. If she did, she'd definitely be thinking about that as well.]
__________________
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
"Any sufficiently analysed magic is indistinguishable from science."
"Any magic which is distinguishable from science has not been analysed enough."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren