Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darius's Games > Against the Darkness

Unread 24th of April, 2011, 23:08
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
True Names - Dresden OOC

First!

Sam Marlowe - Pure Mortal Investigative Reporter/Conspiracy Theorist with Hard Deadlines and Skeptical Authorities
Unread 24th of April, 2011, 23:51
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Argh you're always first.

Marica Sidney Leigh, "Sidney" - Focused Practitioner Exasperated Electromancer, Former Geek with Power Control Issues

So did someone say Baltimore?
Edit: Jeez I don't know anything about Baltimore.
Guess I could watch The Wire.

Last edited by zachol; 25th of April, 2011 at 00:08.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 03:00
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
This is what I get for saying "Hey, its a nice day! Let me get some yard work done." Then Merc goes and spoils it all by creating an OOC thread without me.

Anyhow, cities on the table are:
Seattle
Minneapolis
Baltimore (default setting for the RPG which means less set up and quicker to play)
Washington, DC (actually Balmore and the District could have a lot of crossover between them seeing as how they are about forty miles apart- so you know, four hours on a Monday morning. Annapolis falls into a similar category). Oh, and z, if you don't want to watch the Wire you could always watch Ace of Cakes.
Miami (?)
NYC (could be narrowed down in scope to one of the boroughs, or hell even a neighborhood)
Fiction Town, USA

Chi-town is not even an option.

Please pick one, or at most two so that we can build from there. My personal preference? I work in DC, live about 30 mins from Baltimore, but went to high school in NYC and have a lot of fond memories of the place.

On characters, since some of you are going in that direction already, I'm going to be working hard to have you all have prebuilt connections. So don't get too attached to a backstory that has you just arriving in town, because that won't really work.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 03:24
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Actually I've sort of been looking for an excuse to watch The Wire. Everyone says it's great.
Not dealing with city creation makes Baltimore sort of attractive. I mentioned Minneapolis since it's the only city I'm familiar with, but if we were going to go through city creation my main choice would be Seattle.

My character is developing into someone who simply can't be around electronics without frying them, so it would be nice to pick a city with a healthy rural/suburban aspect. So like not downtown NYC.
Sidney'll be a native to whatever city we go with, though, and I can dial back the techbane aspect if people want something more urban.

Edit: Screw it, I'll just stick what I have so far up. It's all extra super rough, especially the mechanical bits which I don't really get.
Like tell me if I've completely missed the point.

Last edited by zachol; 25th of April, 2011 at 03:35.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 03:54
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Member: #9289
Baltimore sounds good. Funny that zachol should mention The Wire, because I just started watching that last week.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 04:34
Darius

z- the guest stories part is where your character was a minor character in the main story of one of the other PCs. Given that no one else has posted characters, and the fact that I'll tell you who you were the guest character for, you can erase that part at the moment.

Last edited by Darius; 25th of April, 2011 at 06:49.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 04:48
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Ahhh now I see.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 04:54
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

I want to be the Winter Champion!
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 05:49
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Huh, I didn't realize that Baltimore was the default setting. Seriously, I just picked it because it's a ripe city, what with Poe's influence and all.

I'm going to split the vote and call for DC as my primary thought for all the reasons I laid out in the CA thread - history (actual and conspiracy theorist/Dan Brown fictional), the coolness of interacting with a potential werewolf in the White House, or a secret Red Court conclave that meets in the basement of the Capitol.

NYC would have a bigger "big city" appeal like Chicago, and there's a ton of cool things about it. A troll under the 59th street bridge. A mixed gay/hetero vampire community in the alphabet city section of Manhattan. A demon possessing the Macy's Santa Claus during the Thanksgiving Day parade. An entrance to the faerylands in the middle of Central Park with a Fae version of the Tavern On the Green.

I'm not going to post character stuff other than the little bit I have until I really dig into the character creation part of the book. It's not organized well, with the templates coming *after* the character creation section.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 06:50
Darius

Originally Posted by beowulf # I want to be the Winter Champion!
I'm just going to go and crush your hopes and dreams at the outset by saying "No."
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 07:15
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Really? It's at the right power level; any particular reason?
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 07:20
Darius

There is only one Winter or Summer Knight at any given time, and both positions are filled. (Sorry, going to follow the books on this point).
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 07:26
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Can I use the Emissary of Power template to be the long-hidden Autumn Knight, then?
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 08:50
Darius

That I will allow. Though, chances are the Autumn Court doesn't quite exist anymore, so your political leverage may be lessened. Good news is that there isn't much of a Court to dictate your actions either.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 09:24
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

That's cool! Sounds like fun to me; I wasn't in it for the power anyway.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 09:58
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
I would kinda be itching to play in Fiction Town, but a close second would be DC. Not too keen on the other places, though.

Still don't have much of a character concept. I was thinking of playing one of the smaller fae maybe, or a spirit of intellect like Bob (although weaker, I guess - just started Dead Beat, where we learn new things about him).

Actually yeah, I'm liking the spirit of intellect idea, though I don't know if that's fine. I also haven't seen anyone play a being like that, so I wouldn't know which power set to use from the get-go, and I will only have access to the books again starting May 2nd.

Incidentally, on the subject of Faerie Knights, one of my friends' character got tricked by Mab into becoming the Winter Knight in my F2F game. It was a riot. One of the best scenes we've played yet, in a campaign filled with hysterical scenes.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 10:05
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I know EC didn't post spoilers, but I know I'm a little behind the rest of you (I'm currently waiting for "Summer Knight" to come in the mail.) so if we can do as EC did and beat around the bush for spoilers, etc, that would be awesome.

Just a humble request from a neophyte Dresden fan.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 10:15
Darius

Hey EC- all things considered, I'd just as soon have everyone use the templates as provided. Bob would have so many limitations placed on him that his refresh would probably be probably negative which doesn't really work well with this kind of game.

You are better off playing one of the close-to-mortal characters. If you really want to go the fae route, why not go with a changeling?
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 10:56
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Merc--I've only read the first book. The second book is on my ereader but I haven't gotten around to reading it. To be honest, I find the world extremely compelling but the novels pretty dull. That being said, I really want to get at least as far as Summer Knight and see how that goes.

I'm sort of obsessed with Germanic-style faeries.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 11:11
Explosive Cheese

To Merc's point, I would appreciate trying to avoid spoilers as well. Sometimes it won't be possible, but yeah.

Alright, so not intellect of air, and if we're going by templates, I guess not just a kind of faerie like toot-toot either.

Changeling sounds pretty good, then. I'm trying to think of a more whimsical fae for the parent, but something like that is escaping me at the moment. Anyone have something that sounds like that? It just seems like given the current party make-up, a light-hearted character would help lighten things up a bit. And yeah, I know, Dresden Files is noir and supposed to be dark, but still...
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 11:11
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

FYI, beowulf, I found the first novel exceedingly dull too. The second one (Fool Moon) was better, and the third one (Grave Peril) best of the three so far. Just know that your impression is shared by other people. And, I've been assured by several people who've read them all, that it's almost a universal reaction that the first book is dull, but that they get better over time.

EC - I agree that humor is needed. It's why Bob exists, as a rhetorical device, and why Harry is so sarcastic. Without that level of humor, it would be a little much to really grok as a reader. That's also why Sam is a tinfoil hat-wearing conspiracy nut.

Last edited by Mercutio; 25th of April, 2011 at 11:14.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 11:17
Explosive Cheese

I dunno. For me at least, I found the first book quite engaging, the second even better, and the third (Grave Peril) a real downer. But then, I tend to like my reading more light-hearted than the Dresdenverse, and Grave Peril is easily the darkest of what I've read so far.

I do find that the stories get better as the books go on though (having read 6 books in so far).

Anyways, that's my personal response to the series, so take it with a grain of salt.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 11:32
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

For me the second book was kind of slow. I think I ended up taking a break for a while in the middle of it.
Things really pick up with Summer Knight, though, and then just keep getting better.

One problem I have is I keep mixing up the different urban fantasy settings that I read. I think I looked for stats in "Our World" for a specific character that I only kinda remembered for like a half hour before I realized she was from a different series.

Sidney's probably going to be the most seriousest character because she's not really fond of her powers and doesn't like people much.
Although it'll be hilarious to shove her into situations which require precision or social grace because she'll get all irritated. And then lose control and start zapping things. And then all hell will break loose.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 13:23
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Having a Changeling and a human Fae Champion will make for fun interactions.
Unread 25th of April, 2011, 13:42
Seanberry
Zombie

Member: #8277
God Darius I know what you mean. I goto work and nadda and then BANG! A whole discussion I missed out on!

For the recond Darius for those of us who have read all the way to current (and have preordered the new one. If my mailman is sick that day I have offered to pick it up at the main building locally) could you set the record straight as to where we are in the Case Files. I don't want to base a character knowing something has happened (Example what happens in Turn Coat or Changes). I will do my best to not spoil things for people who have not read them all, but like EC said, it is going to happen.

As for where to base this... really anything is fine by me. Being a Canuck that has never been into the States I don't have any preconcieved notitions about anywhere. Off the hop Baltimore would be easiest. Personally I am against a completely fiction city. This setting is that of our world, turned on it's ear. I'd like to stay some place real. That being said if that is the direction of the wind, I shall not be the one to derail the train...or burn down the building as it were.

To me the City we choose will overall set the feeling for the game, so it is a huge decision. With Baltimore or DC, with the heavy political stance I see it more of a challenge to not play a heavy politics game. Some place like Florida I see as a more relaxed place where the focus is more on the beautiful sunshine (heavy Summer Court presence) with all the beautiful people and always that threat of a hurricane or such (possibly Winter Court?) looming over your head. When looking to NYC, I just see a very restrictive, CYA atmosphere. Don't ask me why, just seems like it would be hard to do much tryly epic in a story without getting hauled in by the NYPD for being a nutter. I was going to throw out some place in the mountians, more remort, rural and overall backwards, where everything is just that much scarier because nature is her own terrifying place. Be honest... no idea what is in Minneapolis or what would be special enough to draw 5 truely special people there...but could be fun.

As for idea's...I like powerhouse characters. Playing around with a couple ideas, some I have done a bit of work on to others that are just kinda...there?

Possible ones for me are currently:
Emmisary of Power - Either a Dragon or a God/'s (but not The God)

Pure Mortal ITK - Think the character "Face" from the A-Team just as a spoiled Rich kid with a flair for the ladies and knowing people. Character would have ALOT of contacts. Was thinking one of his aspects would be something like "I might know a guy".

White Court Virgin/Vampire - Seems like an interesting concept, plenty of growth and if he turns, character still remains playable.

Knight of a Faerie Court - I had thought about trying to make a representative of the Erlking. With the Queens of Summer and Winter being so active, maybe the Erlking decided he needs somebody to respect the Hunt again on a more steady basis.

Minor Talent - Was toying with an Assassin/Theft from a heriditary bloodline created thousands of years ago by a group of Wizards who needed men to do their dirty work how were loyal but more then just normal men. When the mages all died off the rituals were passed down through families who continued to "awaken" trained members of the family when they have enough of the bloodline to make it work. But this is only if Darius your willing to allow something like this to exist in the world. Nothing in Cannon to support it, just one of those things that popped into my head one night.

Were-Form - Thinking about a Were-bear or Were-eagle, but not as keen on those as some of the others.

And really wanna pass on the Sorcerer, Forcused Practioner or Wizard option. I have been personally struggling with the whole spell creation thing and just no interest in going there at this point. Plus all the Laws and junk....blah.

As to others characters, EC what about a Dryiad or something of the like. You could go with a pixie or sprite. Think Tinkerbell in the Robin Williams Hook movie where she got to be BIG! Maybe s/he's faerie parent made a deal with someone like Leanansidhe to allow him to reproduce with a mortal they became obcessed with. And you could get a Faery Godparent! Doesn't that sound like fun!

And Beowulf...don't forget about the possibility of being the Knight of the Spring Court! Also an option. Focused on renewing life and the overall growth of the world!

Last edited by Seanberry; 25th of April, 2011 at 14:25.