Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Ergonomic Cat's Games > Our Eyes Have Seen The Glory

Unread 16th of September, 2010, 12:39
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
Psi-Weapon

So, Psi-Weapon is strange. I want to get y'all's opinion.

By my reading, Psi-Weapons are mental attacks (and thus subject to Mental Defense and Reflexive Dodge, but not Toughness or armor). Psi-weapon provides free stones equal to the stones you put in it to start, and those stones regen fully every round.

Anyone see a different read on that? Psi-Weapon is a lot more attractive than I thought, given that.
Unread 16th of September, 2010, 12:51
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Sounds right to me. Given that the cost is Action Number +3 though, you have to invest in it for it to be useful.

Mental Defense should work against it as mental defense explicitly states: "Good vs. all forms of mental attack for as many stones as the Action Number."

Last edited by Darius; 16th of September, 2010 at 12:53.
Unread 16th of September, 2010, 12:56
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Hrm, I'm not seeing where it is a mental attack. It reads to me like it is a physical attack that uses your mental abilities and either Ranged or Close Combat. It's an expensive Action (as Darius noted), but I don't think it's as good as you clearly think since it is a physical attack.

The way I read it is that you can create a Psi-Weapon (say a Psionic Spear) by pumping X stones into it. From that point on, it exists until dismissed and its stone pool can be shifted into Ranged or Close Combat as the character desires. The pool can also be augmented with the Close Combat/Ranged Combat stone pool and the mental ability pool.
Unread 16th of September, 2010, 12:58
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7702
oh so if you held it each turn you could buff it up some more
Unread 16th of September, 2010, 13:08
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
The confusion may be in that it is a "mental attack v physical foes by physical means" (Comments section of the power). That's where I'm getting the mental attack portion from.

I would argue that you can't buff it up beyond the Action Number though.
Unread 16th of September, 2010, 13:09
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

right but if you keep adding stones to it then it would get stronger over time
Unread 16th of September, 2010, 13:24
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Originally Posted by Darius # The confusion may be in that it is a "mental attack v physical foes by physical means" (Comments section of the power). That's where I'm getting the mental attack portion from.

I would argue that you can't buff it up beyond the Action Number though.
I think that says what I said -- it's a mental attack, meaning you can augment the stones for combat using Intelligence instead of Strength, but that it attacks the physical being, which means armor and toughness not Mental Defense.

The example they give is Psylocke and her psionic katana. She manifests the weapon from her mind, but the weapon has a physical form and actually does physical damage. But she doesn't have to carry that weapon out in the open or worry about trying to conceal a large sword. She can just "conjure" it out of thin air.

I wouldn't say that the attack is limited to the Action number, My reading says to me that you can put as many stones into an action as you have stones,
Unread 16th of September, 2010, 13:28
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Dabocim,
If you had a sword at a 7, and you started it at 3, then yes, you could put another 3 into it the next round for a 6...but the following round the maximum you could put into it would be 1 stone. AN = 7.

Cat,
This is one of those funky powers that is weird. There are options to make it as an Element as well, like fire. If it was fire, it would be an ENERGY weapon and thus Energy Defense would apply. Making it out of ice/earth would not be almost worthless except that you would 'never' be without a weapon.

As for the Psi-Part. I always saw Psilock use her weapons as mental attacks.....but she is also a Telepath.
Unread 16th of September, 2010, 13:29
dabocim
Mohrg [GM]

cool I think i'm starting to get the hang of the murpg system
Unread 16th of September, 2010, 14:33
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
Conveniently, the things you're fighting have equal mental defense and toughness, so it's semi-moot, but it could well be important later....