Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > elmer_jok's Games > Even Gods Cry

Unread 20th of August, 2009, 09:15
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

Member: #1746
OOC Cackling

Here we are up and running. I will start posting the most relevant information first and let ya'll get started on making your characters. I'll add the background information too.

First thing is first though... Allowed Races and Classes will be posted in the Resources section.

Also, please do not post in any of the subforums yet, even your characters until I post the summary of what I want to see in there.
Unread 20th of August, 2009, 11:01
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #1474
First post! Though it does have a purpose beyond that. Any word yet on weather you'll be allowing arcane power feats and such?
Unread 20th of August, 2009, 11:15
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

Yes I just updated what books will be available in the resources subforum.
Unread 20th of August, 2009, 11:21
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

So let's hear a sound off again of what everyone would like to play so I can get a feel for what type of freaks we'll be dealing with.
Unread 20th of August, 2009, 11:28
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Half-Orc Wizard
Unread 20th of August, 2009, 11:33
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

Freak #1: Half-Orc Wizard played by Prince Yami. Common race. Common class.

Leaves 3 uncommon races and 3 uncommon classes left to choose from for the other players.
Unread 20th of August, 2009, 14:48
Scythe
Bodak

Member: #2925
I'm thinking a religious type character, as I mentioned in the acquisition thread... so I'm opting for either a loyal good Cleric or Paladin, and for a race... either Dwarf or Elf, I suppose...

Personally, I wouldn't mind playing a Human either, if nobody else wants too. And if somebody wants to platy a specific role (striker, defender, etc) as for class choice, I'd be happy to take it's opposite for my character.
I'll be posting some background information in a day or two (or until class/race is decided for the human aspect)

My selection of books and or feats are limited to the core books. However, a friend of mine has a copy of the setting book, so I might be able to have access to it, temporarily, eventually.

A quick question before signing off... are regional backgrounds free, or do we need to spend a feat to acquire it's benefits?

Thanks again for a spot in your game.

/Scythe

Last edited by Scythe; 20th of August, 2009 at 14:54.
Unread 20th of August, 2009, 15:41
FatmanVonBlubberfellow
Tiny Zombie

Member: #7537
Dragonborn Sorcerer.

...Critical fumble rule? Urgh. That... really doesn't make me want to cast any AoE spells, because that's basically like saying "I want to fumble every single turn for the rest of the game!"

Well, we'll see.
Unread 20th of August, 2009, 17:00
Viro
Ghoul

Member: #408
Ugh. Fumbles and critical success/failures?

I agree with FMVBF - the rule totally decimates any reason to use area attacks, *especially* for a melee character.

And for skills, do you really believe that a level 20 character, trained in athletics, is likely to *fail* to climb over a DC 10 check (ie, free climbing a rope under normal conditions)?
Or will 5% of the time he attempts to climb he falls tumbling to the ground?

D&D 3.5 had no critical skill success/failure for a reason. And most houserules for it instead gave a +/- 5 or 10 on rolls of 20 or 1, instead of calling it "automatic". You were still limited, but if you had your level 20 character with 23 ranks in climb and a +3 stat bonus, you still could never fail any check of lower than DC 18 (with the -10 rule).

With the house rules you have posted, I will NOT play my Avenger idea.

So slot me down for a Human Bard, though I'm reconsidering playing altogether atm (due to house rules that are counter to the positive changes D&D has taken IMHO). I'll have a final decision within 24 hours.
Unread 20th of August, 2009, 20:04
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
I don't like the critical success/failure or fumble rules either. Best way to do is give a reroll on a 1 or 20 with -/+20 mod, if you really want some kind of constant small chance of failure/success in face of everything. And even then I think it's trying to bend something in a way which 4th edition doesn't like to be bent.

Thinking of some kind of local resident botanist type. Although not entirely sure on class or race. I always seem to play humans so I'm trying to lean away from that. Given how flexible class seems for my concept, I'll have a see what makes most sense in terms of role.
Unread 21st of August, 2009, 01:44
FatmanVonBlubberfellow
Tiny Zombie

BRR:
We could use a Defender, I think, so if that fits with what you're looking at it would be nice.

Viro:
I wouldn't say it's that bad. I don't like critical fumble rules because they add additional ways for the players to screw up and die (or more accurately, they add more ways for everyone to screw up and die, but it's irrelevant if it happens to monsters.) Even as a sorcerer, though, it's not enough to drive me away from the game, it's just going to be one of those things where I'm going to really, really regret using Close Blasts of any kind.
Unread 21st of August, 2009, 02:42
BigRedRod

Hmmm. Warden makes sense then. Maybe a gnome. Or an Eladrin.
Unread 21st of August, 2009, 13:20
Viro
Ghoul

I'll stick in - please do reconsider the critical fumble rule though. When it comes to a single chance of totally failing, it hurts the PCs far more than the monsters.
Unread 21st of August, 2009, 14:32
Scythe
Bodak

I personally don't see where the problem is with the fumble rule; sure, it's a negative for the players, but it's not that bad. You'd probably fail the natural one roll anyways, so having your turn end immediately doesn't really change anything (for attacks) and you still get to resolve your AoE.

A skilled woodcutter can easily, at some time, give off a bad swing and hurt his arm. Even the most skilled craftsman can make mistakes. Errors are part of human nature.

And on a side note, my friend lent me his Forgotten Realms books, and Martial/Arcane power, so I'll have a look at those...
Unread 21st of August, 2009, 16:13
FatmanVonBlubberfellow
Tiny Zombie

Originally Posted by Scythe # I personally don't see where the problem is with the fumble rule; sure, it's a negative for the players, but it's not that bad. You'd probably fail the natural one roll anyways, so having your turn end immediately doesn't really change anything (for attacks) and you still get to resolve your AoE.
There's a significant difference between missing an attack and ending your turn. For melee characters, yes, it's largely irrelevant; the problem is for people who use AoE attacks, especially close blasts; a one on any of the rolls pins them in place (as opposed to having the option of shifting or moving away to try and get out of range of attacks of the survivors.) It also means that anyone can be denied the chance to use their Action Point by virtue of a poor roll, and can lead to unhappy situations where a monster is at 1 HP and you hit him on a 2+ and have an AP saved up, so he's guaranteed to go down... unless you roll a fumble, in which case he gets to do some more damage to the party. For my character personally, it also means that my breath weapon becomes much less useful (and at later levels actively harmful), since there's something like a 35% chance I'll lose the rest of my turn when I jump in near some guys to blast them.

In short, it doesn't add any fun to the game and takes a lot of options away from players based on something they have no control over and cannot plan for. It also punishes some classes more heavily than others (invoker/wizard/druid/sorcerer/warlock are the hardest hit) and narratively doesn't make any sense; why, exactly, is the wizard so dumb he spends almost half his turns standing there with his thumb up his ***? Because he makes more attack rolls, that's why. 4E's mechanics/reality connection is tenuous at best, but I find it hard to rationalize the effects of critical fumbles.

With all that said, I don't mean to come off as being really bitchy about it. It's a house rule, I'll live with it, I just wanted to explain why I felt as I did on the subject.
Unread 21st of August, 2009, 18:42
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

I agree. a natural 1 is already an automatic miss/fail in most cases. It's completely unnecessary to add more penalties. I considered writing a similar house rule actually, but while something similar would have worked with 3.5 it didn't mesh so well with 4, one of the biggest, though not only, reason being action points. A critical fumble defeats one of the primary reasons for having action points in the first place. so I ultimately abandoned it.

Last edited by Prince Yami; 21st of August, 2009 at 19:58.
Unread 21st of August, 2009, 23:35
BigRedRod

Oddly, I don't have a copy of PHB2 at work, so my sheet is mostly placeholders for the moment.
Unread 22nd of August, 2009, 02:41
Scythe
Bodak

What roles occupy the Bard and Warden class?

I'm thinking Dwarf Cleric, if there isn't already a Leader role in our group of merry adventurers (then I'll probably be a Paladin for sure). I'm still unsure of what build to base my cleric though... if we seem to have a few melee fighters, I'll make a battle cleric... if the case seems to be the opposite, I'll make my heal bitch.

EDIT: Bard is a leader? Funny... EJ, does having two leader type characters in the same party bad or anything? A paladin then seems to be a good choice, though race is still oblivious to me... maybe DragonBorn...?

/Scythe

Last edited by Scythe; 22nd of August, 2009 at 05:53.
Unread 22nd of August, 2009, 06:52
Viro
Ghoul

Bard = Leader
Warden = Defender

2 Leaders and 2 Defenders are both viable. And if we have a 6th person total, having a double up of either of those roles, and 2 strikers would be optimal.
Unread 23rd of August, 2009, 10:59
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

You said characters start at level 2 right?
Unread 24th of August, 2009, 16:47
Viro
Ghoul

Originally Posted by Prince Yami # You said characters start at level 2 right?
Correct
Unread 24th of August, 2009, 18:44
BigRedRod

Ah, I'd forgotten that. I was just looking at the character creation rules thread.

Hopefully it'll all happen this evening.
Unread 25th of August, 2009, 12:48
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

I apologize for my delay in responding to you all. Those that haven't seen me mention it, I work doubles all weekend and currently have the weekedays free. Some weekends I cannot post, even from my phone, and this will be my most inactive time. I can usually make up for this by an obsessive amount of posting monday thru thursday though. Even if I do post on the weekends it will usually be just answering questions from the OOC chat and not actual updates.

That all being said, let me sift through the last four days of questions and comments and make some decisions, get my backup pc booted up and gather my books and thinking cap. I will have some answers this evening maybe, tomarrow at the latest.
Unread 25th of August, 2009, 15:08
Stringbean2142
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #7644
Sorry it took a bit for me to post here, mates. I was waiting for a yes/no on whether I was in or just the first alternate. Since elmer's let me in, it sounds like we'll have six total.

So, while I bounced back and forth between human and genasi, in the end I settled on a human warlock. That gives us the 2nd striker to compliment 2 defenders, our paladin has some healing ability, and our sorcerer has a bit of controller ability. I think we're covered as far as roles are concerned.

For my background, I'm leaning towards a fey pact warlock and a local. I've been preparing a Changeling one-shot, so the idea of being pulled into the world of the fey has been pretty heavy on my mind the last few weeks. So my character (name still brewing) was "befriended" as a child by a natural spirit. As she grew, she began listening to the spirit more and more until one stupid, silly day she entrapped herself. The spirit rides shotgun in her now, as her familiar maybe? Her gaining levels and power could be roleplayed as either her gaining control over her situation, or her losing control and the spirit stepping in to assert more authority. And the relationship between woman and spirit might be adversarial or played for a bit of humor and lightness; I'm still working on that.

It's a work in progress, but I should have her rounded out in three days, at the outside. I have a post in another game to finish off first, and then I'll focus on completing her.
Unread 25th of August, 2009, 18:47
BigRedRod

I suppose I should clarify whether it'd be possible to be a local with a nice house featuring extensive plant life and a library. From the off. It's a bit cheeky considering starting gold, so perhaps we could find a way to have it all suddenly lost which throws him into the need to find employment.

Also, I should do my sheet.