Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Black Plauge's Games > Scales of War

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 7th of November, 2009, 06:31
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Post Chapter 1 - Rescue at Rivenroar

"Gareth, get up here! The sun's almost reached the high tower on the Keep."

Clutching a bugle, a man in a tabbard that is too clean to have seen actual battle comes scrambling up the stairs to the top of the East Gate. Turning to face the west, he watches the sun as it dips towards the horizon, stamping his feet to ward off the slight chill carried by the autumn winds.

Raising the bugle to his lips, Gareth sounds the first notes of Captian's Call and each of the towers takes up their notes in turn, circling the city twice in the space of a few seconds.

"Sounds like the new bugler is stationed at the Market Gates today," Gareth remarks as the temple bells begin their answering peal, marking the end of the work day.

* * *

*bong* *bong*

As the last of the temple bells fades away, the Antler and Thistle begins to fill, it's business picking up as other businesses close down for the evening and the shop owners and workers come in for a drink and comradeship before heading home for the evening. In the back corner three patrons play a game of silver ante while a neighboring table hosts a game of Wishing Well. Around the central fire place several men gather, listening as one of their number spins a tale, while those at the tables form groups 3 or 4 or 5 and talk about their day as they share drinks and food. Near the front an individual issues a general challenge for a game of darts, loser buys the drinks, while those at a nearby table start taking bets as to the outcome. Behind the bar the proprietor fills drink orders, calling occasionally to his wife back in the kitchen, while his kids bustle back and forth between the bar, the tables, and the kitchen carrying orders back and forth.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 9th of November, 2009, 14:03
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
Cyril (of the Green Isle, and a host of other things) drops a few coins in the pot and leans back, a shockingly annoying grin spreading across his face as he examines his cards.
"Now, really. Who's idea was it to challenge thine own Ril in a game of ante? Thought you all would've learned by now."
The hell? Why do I always get such lame cards? Tupping seven white is my best card? I should've stuck to just singing a ballad or something. Oh bugger, play it cool...

He leans down, resting on one elbow, keeping his cards close. The grin is still there, like always, his eyes piercing and predatory.
Okay, maybe if someone leads right...

Last edited by zachol; 10th of November, 2009 at 01:15.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 9th of November, 2009, 23:10
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.72 per day)
Taraka sat near the fire, listening to the bard spinning yarns. The ranger had no interest in gambling, and strong drink didn't agree with him. Sipping on a coffee brew, dark and bitter like it had been roasting for days, and it probably had, Taraka thought it was perfect. Much better than the light tasting, darkened water that he tended to brew out in the wilderness. He simply never had the time to brew it right.

The tale being told was one he'd heard before, one that was common among campfires and along the trade routes. It was a simple tale a some long-forgotten hero and his quest to slay some dragon or other, inspiring to those who sat home and lived the drab life in safety and security, but tired and trite to anyone that had spent even a week or two away from home.

Last edited by Mercutio; 9th of November, 2009 at 23:15.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 9th of November, 2009, 23:56
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Lorien stands near Ril, a bemused look on his face as he stares down at the still-full stein in his hands. It has been at least fifteen minutes since he retrieved the drink from the barman, but he is still having trouble taking the first sip.

He flexes his left arm and rotates it in a half-circle experimentally.

Still stiff, still painful...this would definitely take the edge off.

He wavers for a moment, then sets the stein down and walks over to where the ranger is sitting.

"Thought we were all buggered for a while there. Never got around to thanking you for showing up like you did."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 00:50
Scythe's Avatar
Scythe
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member: #2925
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 895 (0.23 per day)
A cloaked figure approaches the lot, which easily hid from view his infernal traits; he didn't have a choice really. Ever since he was imprisoned and liberated, the villagers of Brindol would never have accepted and approved of his presence in their small town. And his kin, Tieflings, weren't usually liked in these parts where humans and elves ruled.

The Wizard stands a few paces from the his comrades, staying close to Myriam as well. It was all thanks to her, she was the only reason he still lingered. He kept a watchful eye on the people within, sipping on his drink.

Last edited by Scythe; 10th of November, 2009 at 00:56.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 00:58
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.72 per day)
Taraka sipped at his coffee and turned to look the fighter in the face. "No need to thank me. I certainly was not planning to jump into a large-scale fight. I was simply trying to pick off bandit stragglers here and there, hoping to convince them to move on."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 05:57
Stringbean2142's Avatar
Stringbean2142
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Member: #7644
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 167 (0.05 per day)
Myriam glanced at Balam and chuckled softly. "Bal, relax. No one here's preparing to knife us for what little money we have." Her eyes shifted briefly to Ril, then back. "Ril's the most likely one in here to go for our coin, and from what Dad said he's more like to annoy us t' the point we give in."

She paused, then turned to look at him more fully. "Or is it our visibility here?" She forgot at times what he must go through as a tiefling. To her, he was simply Balam, but that's not what most people saw. She sometimes wondered what he saw, looking in the mirror. Did he see the man, or the infernal legacy carried in his blood?

She shifted closer to Taraka, Lorien, and the fire. Dressed in simple armor and factoring in her pack, sword, and clothes, she cast a sizable shadow and her movement redirected that shadow so it better obscured Balam from prying eyes. It also let her hear Taraka's reply. "Planning or not, Dad said you saved some lives out there, sir, including his. I'm glad you showed up to help them."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 2nd of December, 2009, 06:16
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
The sun had just begun to set when those with families start to make excuses and those without try to convince them to stay just one more round. It was a nightly ritual, and one that the families almost always won. That night, however, the ritual's progress was interrupted rather rudely as the front door flew off the its hinges and landed amid the near by tables. Four hobgoblins rushed into the bar, swords outstretched to skewer the nearest bar patrons.

"For Sinruth! For the Hand!" they shouted as a bitumen torch crashed through one of the windows, landing on one of the tables and revealing 3 more hobgoblins and a goblin with more torches just outside.

This thread will be locked for the duration of combat. Please proceed to the Combat Thread for the time being.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 15th of December, 2009, 01:01
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
At first, the hobgoblin attack was disorganized, with each simply going after the nearest and easiest targets. However, with most of the patrons scrambling for cover when more hobgoblins came in the rear exit, Balam, Lorien, Taraka, and Ril quickly mounted the only real resistance, thus drawing the hobgoblins to them before dispatching them with alacrity.

Meanwhile, the goblins ignored the resistance as much as possible, throwing more bitumen torches around in an attempt to burn the Antler and Thistle to the ground.

That strategy proved to be the undoing of the goblin up front when Taraka, Balam, and Lorien ganged up on him, but the one in the back was able to escape out the way he came in, after leaving a couple of more fires as a parting gift.

Cautiously, the patrons hiding under the tables peaked out as the sounds of combat ended.

"The fires!" shouted the bartender, "Help put out the fires before this whole place goes up!"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 15th of December, 2009, 01:20
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Lorien quickly wiped the blood off his sword and sheathed it before helping the surviving tavern patrons and his comrades put out the fires around the common room.

[do we need to post fire-extinguishing strategies or is it assumed that all of us working together can do it?]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 15th of December, 2009, 02:09
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
"Bloody insane goblins!"
Ril scrabbles back from the corpses, then looks at the bartender. Aaand suddenly there's a huge fire at the counter?
He ran forward, using his cloak the same way he had a few seconds ago to beat out the fire.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 15th of December, 2009, 03:36
Scythe's Avatar
Scythe
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member: #2925
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 895 (0.23 per day)
Once the last of the few goblins left have fled the scene, it took a few moments for Balam to notice that the skirmish was already over, that blood needed not to be shed anymore. As he takes conscious of his surroundings, he notices that the whole place was starting to burn up rapidly, they had to put out the fires quickly.

Slightly concentrating, he conjures a "Mage Hand" to hush out the fires as best he can, while sustaining his summon as long as it takes.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 16th of December, 2009, 01:49
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Working together, the fires were quickly put out, though not without significant damage to the bar and the kitchen. The tavern may have been standing, but it would be a week or two before it was serving drinks again, and even longer until it could serve food.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 16th of December, 2009, 02:46
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Lorien wasn't one to stand around idly. As soon as the last fire was under control, he spoke it a loud voice that hopefully commanded attention.

"Bunch of stinking goblins didn't just waltz into town and attack one building. Chances are, there are more of them out there. Glory awaits us, comrades!"

He unsheathed his sword and walked briskly out the front door.

[walking outside, searching for signs of combat elsewhere]
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 23rd of December, 2009, 13:40
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Things outside the Antler and Thistle weren't in much better shape than inside it: smoke could be seen coming out of places which weren't chimneys in several spots in the city, small groups of guards would occasionally run past, directing everyone off the streets or asking about goblin sightings, and most of the regular citizens were holed up in what ever building they had been in when the attack started, the bravest peeking out windows.

Given that the goblins had been more focused on property damage than attacking patrons at the Antler and Thistle, Lorien led the group towards the highest concentration of smoke first. They had only gone a few blocks, however, when a guard patrol stopped them.

"What are you doing out and about?" the frazzled sergeant demanded of them, "Haven't you been told to stay inside with the doors barred like everyone else?"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 24th of December, 2009, 01:07
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Lorien snorted, throwing his best disdainful look at the guard.

"We've probably killed a lot more goblins than you today. Get out of our way."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 24th of December, 2009, 01:20
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.72 per day)
Taraka whistled for his tiger, who came bounding up to the ranger's heel. The shifter figured the presence of a large cat would be noteworthy if not outright frightening. He shifted his maul on his shoulder and walked right past the guard, looking for the biggest pocket of goblins to attend to.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 24th of December, 2009, 02:04
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
"Ha ha, Lorien, always so diplomatic about these things!"
Grinning, Ril pushed Lorien aside, moving up to the sergeant and quickly invading his personal space, resting a hand on his shoulder.
He waved back at the Antler and Thistle.
"Just got attacked by goblins. We fought them off. Heroes! And such. We're here to help. We'll stay out of your way. Like a public service!"

He glanced back at the others, then pulled the sergeant in closer, speaking in a hoarse not-whisper.
"Frankly, I think they're insane, but there's no stopping them. Best to just go along with it and focus on the goblins. Right?"
He winked, patted the sergeant on the shoulder, then pushed back, twirling to face Lorien. "All right, Lor my friend! Town center, kill some gobbos!"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 24th of December, 2009, 13:41
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Clearly nervous at the sight of the tiger, one of the guards, who looked barely old enough to shave, clutched nervously at the spear shaft in his hand.

"Killed goblins?" the sergeant responded, flustered by the flood of words coming from Ril. "Town center? Insane?"

The sound of a suppressed laugh from one of the guards cut off the sergeant's flustered sentences, and drew his attention away from Ril for a moment. When it returned, he seemed to have gained some composure and attempted to regain control of the situation.

"Where were you attacked and how many of them were there?"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 24th of December, 2009, 14:00
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
"Oh you know. We'd been relaxing at the bar, some goblins come in, start flingin' these torches everywhere! I get up, shoot one mumble mumble get knocked over, these guys kill a few more. I think there was... lesse, ten? Twelve? Ha, I couldn't even count, it happened so fast. This guy," Ril leaned into Lorien, "This guy here, killed three of them before I could even blink! Ha ha ha! All dead, fires stopped, on to more, all that!"

Absolutely radiating charm and confidence, Ril leaned back forward toward the sergeant. "So. Yes. Antler and Thistle. Dozen goblins. Attacked, killed some patrons, set fires. We retaliated, killed them all, are going to help defend against the others. No time to talk, you do your jobs, we'll help, all good, yes? Yes!"
He subtly nodded, hopefully enough for Lorien to know "go ahead," and continued to distract the sergeant as the others filed past.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 25th of December, 2009, 13:41
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Apparently satisfied with Ril's explanation, the sergeant grunted and waved his troops forward.

"Sounds like you got the better of that group. The goblins appear to have broken up into small groups, and we haven't been able to pin any of them down for very long. Keep you're eyes and ears open."

Despite his apparent acceptance of their story, Ril and Taraka overheard the sergeant mutter something about checking out their story as he and his troops left the party to their own devices once more.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 29th of December, 2009, 13:48
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Lorien continued marching to the center of town, sword and shield at the ready. He scanned the store fronts and residences to his left and right as he walked, but in truth he wasn't much of a scout, and he hoped one of the others was following closely enough behind him that they would see an ambush before he walked into it.

There was certainly glory in falling under a hail of goblin arrows, but it was far more heroic to save the town first.

[Searching for gobbos. If we go too long without an encounter, Lorien will begin blowing on his horn in a challenging sort of way.]
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 30th of December, 2009, 13:43
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Wandering through the streets, Lorien leads the way towards shouts in the distance. As he and the others get closer, they spot a pair of injured guards hurrying away as best they can. One guard's tabard is badly scorched, and his face is beet red and blistering. The other has the broken off shaft of an arrow protruding from one thigh and he leans on his companion for support.

Turning the corner to go back the way the guards had come from, the party is treated to a curious sight: a full-grown ogre pulling a wagon by a yoke around its waist. The ogre holds a cask in one hand and a massive club in the other. Riding atop the wagon are two hobgoblins with bows.

Combat time again. New combat thread here.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 20th of January, 2010, 03:12
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
As he moves forward to engage the ogre, Taraka witnesses first hand why the ogre is pulling a wagon when it throws a cask of flaming pitch in his general direction. Fortunately for Taraka, but unfortunately for the barbershop nearby, the ogre's aim with the cask isn't very good.

Intent on preventing the ogre from using any more casks, Taraka engages it head on while the Ril and Balaam hang back to harass it from afar. Said tactic, however, proves to be incredibly dangerous, especially when the cask the ogre was getting ready to throw explodes while the ogre uses his club, forcing Taraka to retreat fairly quickly.

The exploding cask, however, does have some good effects as it forces the hobgoblins away from the ogre, depriving him of additional casks, and setting the cart containing the casks on fire.

Braving the flames, Lorien takes over the job of pinning the ogre down while the other party members continue to harass it from afar or go after the scattering hobgoblins.

*ka-boom*

As the fire on the cart spreads to the unused casks, a chain of explosions begins, setting fire to bar and inn nearby and burning the ogre badly before it can extract itself from the cart yoke.

Their cart destroyed, the ogre and the hobgoblins attempt to retreat towards the Market Gates, only to be chased down by the party.

Savoring the victory, the party is soon surrounded by a small crowd.

"Is that a giant?"

"Is it really dead?"

"Too small for a giant, I think. Must be some kind of orc."

"You must be great heroes to kill something like that."

"Orcs and hobgoblins? I thought they were supposed to be enemies."

"Has anyone seen Adronsius?"

"Some heroes. My brother's barbershop is destroyed and Brindol's Gentlemen's Club and Chatrenn and Sons are both going to be severely damaged.

"Only in Hareb. It's some kind of local blood feud."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 23rd of January, 2010, 03:24
Scythe's Avatar
Scythe
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member: #2925
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 895 (0.23 per day)
Once the situation has been resolved with those unsettling creatures, he conjures up his personal Mage Hand to try and control the spread of fire. Even though, the populace still found a way to surround him and his companions, asking questions that he feels not that he can answer, and one blaming them partly for the destruction of the town.

"There would have been more considerable damage without our presence, why can't the people understand the most basic of concepts?"

He didn't felt comfortable taking to these people, and looking around his companions, he hoped someone would take word and calm these peasants, or else someone might recognize him and blame himself and his kinship, demons, for everything that has happened.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 14:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren