Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Shakespeare's Games > Marvel: Los Angeles

Unread 9th of June, 2010, 05:05
5Solas
Ghoul

Member: #7474
Thanks...I appreciate it.
Unread 9th of June, 2010, 06:01
Pantherine
Ghoul

Member: #8215
I agree, raise the PM character limit!
Unread 1st of August, 2010, 00:52
Exalted
Skeleton

Member: #8385
I intend to apply but I seem to see a common theme at least in the issues of children of supervillains so suppose we doing it kind of like Runaways? Just wondering before I get started on my concept.

Most likely going for a magic type of character.

Last edited by Exalted; 1st of August, 2010 at 00:59. Reason: Added more about concept
Unread 1st of August, 2010, 01:03
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7929
None of the characters are the children of super villains (well, maybe Eddie, but he doesn't count really, given that Venom's long gone). The game is based off of Runaways in terms of feel and setting, however.
Unread 1st of August, 2010, 03:09
Exalted
Skeleton

alright, I think getting the hang of this, so one question the specialty under the actions are "free" ? because I can't seem to see anything about it. First time playing MURPG so trying to get past the first alien feeling of a new system.
Unread 1st of August, 2010, 04:19
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
It kinda depends. Which actions are you looking at?
Unread 1st of August, 2010, 07:37
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Member: #7768
Venom just wants you to think he's gone, Shakespeare. Muwahahaha! Also, certain abilities have Specialites. Others don't. Whether they do or not in the description of what each action does.
To the Arena! To the Death!
Unread 1st of August, 2010, 10:36
Exalted
Skeleton

Mastery of Magic and Asgardian Sorcery mostly.

rereading look like asgardian sorcery and magical travel are the only ones I have to worry about specialties.

Last edited by Exalted; 1st of August, 2010 at 11:19. Reason: clarification
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 01:51
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Spoken to Exalted and, in the interests of maintaining balance, I'm saying no to Sorcery and Mastery of Magic. Instead we're working on another concept in the meantime.
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 20:25
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Will be looking over Exalted's PC tomorrow when I can give his C.A.D. more attention than I currently can.
Unread 2nd of August, 2010, 23:26
Pantherine
Ghoul

A little early welcome to Exalted then
Unread 3rd of August, 2010, 00:53
Exalted
Skeleton

thanks for the welcome, hey all looking forward to playing with y'all.
Unread 3rd of August, 2010, 01:40
Pantherine
Ghoul

Likewise
Unread 21st of August, 2010, 07:18
Xu Lynx
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #8458
I'm looking to join in as well - just not quite sure where to start as of yet. If any of you get to this before my morning haze fades away, where should I start. I got most of the mutants and masterminds books if I need them. I'm just new to the forum and M&M but am a fast learner.
edit: Just read a few posts and...feeling like an asshole might have a bit more questions then I originally thought. For starters whats the 'Marvel Rulebook', and what are stones? Apologies in advance for the questions

Last edited by Xu Lynx; 21st of August, 2010 at 07:35.
Unread 21st of August, 2010, 08:27
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Wink

We're actually using the Marvel Universal Role Playing System (MURPS) rather than M&M. It maybe MURPGS. Or MURGS. Something like that.

Stones are a key part of the system.

Last edited by Ergonomic Cat; 21st of August, 2010 at 08:53.
Unread 21st of August, 2010, 09:34
Xu Lynx
Unanimated Corpse

Okay. I'm gettin my hands on one of those core books now... This could take longer then anticipated...
Unread 21st of August, 2010, 14:00
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Especially since, as far as I can tell, they're out of print. Good luck, guy.
Unread 21st of August, 2010, 20:30
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

I sent a link to the book to various players here. If they're willing to accomodate the request, you could ask one of them to forwards you the link to the website, if they still have it. I myself probably have it somewhere, but it's currently lost within a sea of e-mails.
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 10:33
Xu Lynx
Unanimated Corpse

I have everything I need - save for a helping hand in character creation ^_^;; I'll look over the powers to see what kinda character I want but I'm looking all over the internet for character creation instructions. ie. how many points are spent on what.
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 11:18
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Well. I dropped 30 points on one power, and that seems like a good way to go if your character has a real useful power (blasting, a Power Armor suit, psychic-ness...). 40 stones todal, 3/4 of which make you special seems to work.
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 12:29
Xu Lynx
Unanimated Corpse

Any powers that are inelligible? Do the normal abilities (strength, intelligence) cost 1 point each? When it says +1 level does that mean +1 per every level? (As in if its 1 level, and a ability makes it +2 levels)
I won't be long with the questions just need the basic ground work and I can lay most of it from there
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 12:55
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by Xu Lynx # I have everything I need - save for a helping hand in character creation ^_^;; I'll look over the powers to see what kinda character I want but I'm looking all over the internet for character creation instructions. ie. how many points are spent on what.
It's semi-complicated, but also pretty simple. Everything either has an action number, or a straight cost. You get 40 white stones total to spend on character creation.

If they have a flat cost, that's what it costs.

If they have action numbers, then it's a bit more complex. Pages 38 and 39 of the main book has the summary. Basically it costs action number + a modifier + any mods for advantages - any for disadvantages.

Abilities are a straight cost for everything but durability. If you want a strength of 4, you look up 4 on the chart, and it says 2 white, so it costs 2 white stones. Durabilitycosts 3x. So 4 durabilitycosts 6 white stones.

For actions, it's still fairly easy. Say you want Force Field. Cost level = Action Number + 3 levels. Action Number determines how much you can spend on it in combat. If you want an action number of 4, you look at the table for 4 +3 (7), and it's 6 white stones.

You can do + or - based on stuff. Say you want an area effect force field. That's +3 levels. So a Force Field of 4 with area is 4 + 3 +3, which is 10, which is 15 stones. If that's too much, you can take disadvantages, like "Out of control without device" which is -2. So now you're 4 + 3 +3 -2 = 8, which is 9 stones.

Everything else is just permutations on that basic idea.
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 18:23
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Thanks for the summary, Cat.

With regards to what I'd advise sticking away from... I'm not really keen on doing that so much, since it hinders creativity (which I'd only do if the character unbalanced the game). So instead I'd ask you to look through the game threads as they stand, and see what each character is about, so that you can gauge what fuction they perform, and whether you might be standing on their toes with a particular concept. I'll advise you about it all anyways, but it'll save time if you come up with a concept that's more unique to begin with.

Any questions, put them up here. I'm sure my players won't mind helping you out if I don't get around to answering them before they do.

Addendum: Just note that, if I accept your character, I won't be able to throw you into the game immediately. At the current time I'm trying to get Havoc involved, and after that I need to find a means of involving my sixth character, Sonic. Assuming I accept the final player (and I'm 70% sure that it would be a final play, since seven is a lot of players for a game), I'll need to pace it to get you involved.
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 18:47
Xu Lynx
Unanimated Corpse

I'm havin fun lookin at all these powers that are available to be honest. I'm torn between a gambit/scarlet witch/juggernaut/wolverine/iceman hybrid. So many cool abilities to sort through, so little stones to distribute to power them up.
Magic is fairplay then?

Last edited by Xu Lynx; 23rd of August, 2010 at 18:53.
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 19:09
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Oh yes, forgot to mention that: Magic, or anything like Magic where the power is pretty much limitless, will be declined from the start. The group is somewhat measured at the moment (each is good at their own thing: Igneous is the tank; Toxin and Pantherine are the quick, deadly fighters; Legion is the multi-tasker, etc), but powers like Magic grant too much open power to people.

And that hybrid sounds a little... open. I do ask that applicants also try and make their powers narrowed into one concept: the ability to change into a panther, and the enhancements that come from feline-abilities; the link to a Symbiote and the benefits that brings; the ability to split yourself. I don't allow generic superheroes who have access to a load of powers not thematically linked (like Superman, whose species had a lot of cool powers that had no reason to be there).