Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 02:00
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
Nature's Warrior is my absolute favorite 5-class PrC, in part because my favorite class is the druid. If you want to go for a tanky role, the druid certainly has the tools.

Now my question is, do you want to still keep your spellcasting up, or do you want to just go the shapechange route. A pure druid has some very tasty options with epic feats (magical beast, gargantuan, colossal, dragon wildshape). Good, good stuff. That makes you the tank and still a powerful caster...

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 03:32
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
No, I don't think it will be a pure druid. In fact I'm pretty sure it won't.

I'll keep you posted.
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 03:33
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
Hey Chris, I was wondering a couple of things: 1) Clever Wrestling, a pre-req for Reaping Mauler, requires that you be medium or small. This rules out trolls, ogres, minotaurs, etc -- basically everything I was considering for a grappler. Is there a way we can work around this? Allow it for large, and then just scale the bonuses differently?

2) Another pre-req is Improved Unarmed Strike. What about Weapon Focus: (Natural Attack) for Claws, or Bite, or something like that. I remember having to work this out with Lune for one of his old PbPs.

Currently considering Half-dragon templated Ogre as first choice for build, and minotaur as second choice.

If someone does go Druid, I request a few spell slots saved for Animal Growth, which should be able to target myself, the animal companion, the were-bear, and the shifted druid with one casting. +8 to grapple checks FTW!
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 04:40
Chris Chandler

I'll take a look at the wording of the feat this evening and see what solution we can build.

I've always thought it was needlessly complex for a creature that has natural attacks (like a dragon) to be forced to burn a precious feat in order to threaten with his "unarmed strike" (that he would never use sans monk levels). If your character has, as part of a racial makeup or a template, a natural attack, take the Improved Unarmed Strike feat as a bonus racial feat (that goes for anyone). I'd say this is fine for a lycanthrope, as well. Only pasty pink humans and elves should have to train to make their fists lethal.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 04:56
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Ha Ha
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 06:35
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
“ If you folks don't know about it, this is the best SRD around. ”
d20SRD.org!? R-u-u-u-u-n! Save yourselves!
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 06:45
Doombot

I forget (or else you haven't brought it up yet) what you said about custom items. For example, if I wanted an item that cast, say, Giant Size (CA) on myself 3-4 times per day, I could have that made for the appropriate price, right?
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 10:47
Chris Chandler

I like Sovelior's page alright; choose your poison, folks.

We can put something like that, Doom. My rule is that for custom items, we work together on it.

Okay, we're getting alot of the crunchy started, which is good. The other players probably won't need this next bit, because we haven't worked out the ins and outs of character interaction - it'd be pretty hard to do so right now anyways. While you are building your character mechanically, think about backstory as well. I'm not asking you to give a detailed account of just how you met each level to this point, but I would like a little personal history. For now, if you even get to that point, just PM me that information. I'm not looking for that any time soon, either.

Oh, the funniest thing I saw today: One of these:

with a trailer hitch.

Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 12:19
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
Just a heads up to all, my werebear will be a primarily a skill oriented character. Mostly a combination of Scout and Ranger. I'm tweaking it, but those are my fav. characters anyhow.

And that means he'll have an animal companion, naturally. Did someone say animal growth?
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 12:52
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

“ Originally Posted by Chris Chandler # Hey, great to see everyone!

Get to know one another. I think that the best way to have a great party is for the players to have a good rapport. I'm not saying that you have to have a "cohesive 4-character party" AT ALL. I want you to play what you want. The only thing that I would like to see, honestly, is that you, as players, have a decent handle on each other.
”

Let's see, I've been in a game with LG and LB for the last few years...(holy cow....YEARS?!!! ) But I'm sure there's stuff they don't know. Here's some juicy tidbits for all.

First and foremost, I'm recently married, here's a picture of me and my beautiful wife, Amanda

We've been married just over 7 months. We live in St. Louis Missouri, we live downtown in a loft. I work as a guide downtown, which basically means I get paid to ride a bike and be friendly and helpful. And I get benefits!

Admittedly, that's not why we MOVED to St. Louis - I'm still working on some non-clunky terminology that communicates well, but basically we're followers of Jesus and have moved to the downtown area to be part of a community that invites other people to follow Jesus as well. Yes, there are simpler terms for that, I realize, but I'm avoiding them on purpose.

Gaming wise I cut my teeth on Battletech, which I've played since '92. For the last several years I worked as a freelance demo agent for them, and have only recently quit due to lack of time, what with moving and getting married.

I've been playing DnD for only a few years - in a few weeks I'm starting a game (which I'm DMing AAAUUUGGHH!!!!) on Sunday nights, should be interesting as my first go at DMing (AAAAUUUGGHHH!!!!) The book which made DnD come alive for me was Complete Adventurer, and ever since I laid eyes on the scout class, I've loved it.

The character I'm hoping to play here is a character I've been trying to work into a game for years and years, and never get the chance to play. 2wice the PbP game was cancelled, then I made him up for RPGA - but moved away from that gaming group before I could play him, and heck, I even tried to create him in DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) but Rangers suck in that game.

Oh, and I've also played Shadowrun.

I just recently finished reading the first 4 books in the John Flanagan series "Rangers Apprentice" and highly reccomend them.

My favorite webcomics are Order of the Stick, Megatokyo, Erfworld, Goblins, and Chainmail Bikini (which I was sad to see died). Oh and the regular comics on Red Vs. Blue which are sort of a guilty pleasure.

Top 4 Movies:
Princess Bride
We Were Soldiers
Fiddler on a Roof
Cinderella Man

I drive a Honda Prelude, and always have. Though I'm really tempted by the 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe....good thing I have no money

Eh, any more and I'd be babbling. Or am I babbling already? Do'h! my bad.

Last edited by MadDogMaddux; 23rd of May, 2008 at 12:54.
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 22:40
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
OH ME GEE, YOU GUYS!

I'm back! You guys wrote lots. Yay, that's good for when I get back in the swing, but I'll be catching up for a bit this morning.

Only comments to what I have managed to read so far: I'll stick with my wine spritzers and Cranberry seabreezes. And everyone knows the only music worth listening to is Light Jazz.

And, there's your warning. I can be very scary.

For real, ouzo and beer are both vile, evil substances. Gimme tequila please. And either embracing or condemning a whole genre of music wholesale is both shortsighted and closeminded.

Last edited by LadyGlutter; 23rd of May, 2008 at 23:22. Reason: grar!
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 22:50
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Congrats on the marriage MadDog. I'm working on my 21st year of marital bliss as we speak.

The Scout is one of my favorite classes as well. In fact I was debating playing my Scout varient for this game, but decided to go towards the spellcasting route. Actually I'm having all kinds of crazy thoughts about the way I want to go. I hope I've settled on a path by Monday.

Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 23:17
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

“ Originally Posted by LadyGlutter # OH ME GEE, YOU GUYS!
For real, ouzo and beer are both vile, evil substances. Gimme tequila please. And either embracing or condemning a whole genre of music wholesale is both shortsighted and closeminded.
”

One of the benefits of moving to St. Louis was the numerous live jazz venues to be frequented.

Never tried Ouzo - quite a fan of good wine and beer though. I cut my teeth on wine while working at an Italian restaurant, heh.
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 23:18
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

“ Originally Posted by LightBringer # Congrats on the marriage MadDog. I'm working on my 21st year of marital bliss as we speak.

The Scout is one of my favorite classes as well. In fact I was debating playing my Scout varient for this game, but decided to go towards the spellcasting route. Actually I'm having all kinds of crazy thoughts about the way I want to go. I hope I've settled on a path by Monday.
”
21 years ey? That's awesome!
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 23:25
Chris Chandler

Now, see, that's an interesting bio (and a lovely wedding photo). Thanks Maddog! I have not played battletech in years, but it was a great game.

Don't worry, LG, there's no catch-up. Ideas are being tossed about wildly, uncontrollably! I like the direction of the conversation, so far. Jump in with both feet - we'll all catch you! (right guys... right, Doom? I said catch, not engulf in flame.)

Okay, for today's installment of "what to expect", you've already heard that I prefer to play the bad guys (generally, though this rocked hard), but I also prefer to not have fight after relentless fight. I like mysteries, intrigues, and the like, but I have, unfortunately, had mixed results with "wheels within wheels" campaigns on PbP. There are definite limitations that the medium has, limitations that we all recognize, and I'd like for all of us to be aware and on the same page about just how we're going to present communication (IC and OOC) within the game. I want your feedback, suggestions, ect., and I'll put up some of my thoughts to get things started.
  • I think that banter in the In-Character thread creates more of a tabletop atmosphere, that is, I encourage it.
  • I hate meta. I know that we are playing pretend with nerd-rules, but I would much rather see a portrayal of character, not of mechanics. The OOC should serve as a repository of rules-related questions, etc. I have the Campaign information section for particularly rules-heavy discussions, say, for instance, a particular reason why a curse tied to the moon on one planet still affects the afflicted in an entirely different crystal sphere.
  • Likewise, stating, flat-out, cruchy skills/abilities/etc. in character really shatters the suspension of disbelief. I think all of us have shown that we can present a well-written means of conveying mechanical intent without saying, "I'm disabling device on what appears to be trapped average lock". Honestly, I feel bad even saying it, because that's one of the reasons you guys are all here. You like the story as much (or more) as I do.
On a related note, I, as a DM, rarely have one key for one door. If you out think me on a challenge, good job! Likewise, don't think that you have to have a particular toolset in order to succeed. For example, if the group doesn't have someone who is a brilliant locksmith, that doesn't mean that every locked door is a bar that either may never be passed, or has to be blown up. In other words, I'll keep your strengths, weaknesses, and creative angles in mind when providing challenges*. Don't make a character thinking that there is a "right answer" in mind. Make the character you want.

---
Except for when it comes to healing. 'Cause I mean, come on. That acid ain't gonna remove itself, right LB? Bwa ha ha. Oh, I'm so funny. He died because of acid. Oh, stop it!

Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 23:28
Chris Chandler

“ Originally Posted by MadDogMaddux # 21 years ey? That's awesome! ”
Yeah, LB is ancient. He remembers when D&D didn't even come with an "&D". It was just "Dungeons", and he liked it that way. You whippersnappers and your fancy "feats". Back in his day, Dwarf was a class by gum!

Stay off his lawn. No really, he just put some nice bermuda in.

Unread 24th of May, 2008, 00:17
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Ouzo tastes like black licorice. Or green Nyquil. Take your pick. Like I said, Vile.

Good wine is very nice but also expensive. And I like some jazz, though I'd prefer the bluesy non light variety. I love music in general, actually, far too much to discriminate based on genre. 'Salright, I'm closeminded and shortsighted about other things. For example, the people I know who prefer light jazz to anything else, and drink wine spritzers and cranberry seabreezes scare me.

And very nice pics, esp of the wedding, Maddog.

I don't know what I oughta say about myself as introduction really.

Except I guess we may as well let you know I'm married to the GM (11 years now). He was my first DM, so If that's a problem speak now or forever hold your peace.

Last edited by LadyGlutter; 24th of May, 2008 at 00:31. Reason: freudian slip
Unread 24th of May, 2008, 01:14
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Oh so funny Mr GM. I'll remember that shot, and yes the grass is nice.

I got locked up on the photos, but I'll try again later.

Uozo is oh sooooooo good. You just can't handle it. Although Tequila is pretty damn good as well.

See what happens when those goofy guys get ahold of a impressionable young mind, and she's none the wiser 11 years later.
Unread 24th of May, 2008, 02:38
Doombot

“ I said catch, not engulf in flame. ”
Awwwww. *puts down flamethrower*

Alright, I suppose I should give a little background on myself. I'm a starving college student (although only for one more semester) with an inclination towards veterinary medicine. I am deeply in love with high-quality beer, and I have a sense of humor which tends towards sarcasm and inappropriate comments, as Chris can attest. Especially if treehouse is around.

I have no problem with being short-sighted and close-minded about country music. My girlfriend loves it, and I have yet to hear something on any of the area's four country stations that doesn't make me want to be a city slicker. Johnny Cash get no airtime these days, and it's a sad fact.

My favorite pastimes are drinking, mocking those less fortunate than me, breaking the will of those that are damnably cheery, and plundering. Yarr!

Unread 24th of May, 2008, 02:39
Doombot

Hmmm, I should also note that I'm still on the fence about choosing between a grappler (which I'll probably end up with), or my RHoD character. Both are appealing; one for the mechanics, one for the character. Do you have a deadline or anything Chris?
Unread 24th of May, 2008, 04:44
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Heh. Are we all supposed to post pictures?
Unread 24th of May, 2008, 06:28
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

“ Originally Posted by LadyGlutter # Except I guess we may as well let you know I'm married to the GM (11 years now). He was my first DM, so If that's a problem speak now or forever hold your peace. ”

How the heck did I not pick up on this? !

And yes, we definitely need to see a pic, especially now.
Unread 24th of May, 2008, 06:36
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

“ Originally Posted by Chris Chandler #
  • I think that banter in the In-Character thread creates more of a tabletop atmosphere, that is, I encourage it.
  • I hate meta. I know that we are playing pretend with nerd-rules, but I would much rather see a portrayal of character, not of mechanics. The OOC should serve as a repository of rules-related questions, etc. I have the Campaign information section for particularly rules-heavy discussions, say, for instance, a particular reason why a curse tied to the moon on one planet still affects the afflicted in an entirely different crystal sphere.
  • Likewise, stating, flat-out, cruchy skills/abilities/etc. in character really shatters the suspension of disbelief. I think all of us have shown that we can present a well-written means of conveying mechanical intent without saying, "I'm disabling device on what appears to be trapped average lock". Honestly, I feel bad even saying it, because that's one of the reasons you guys are all here. You like the story as much (or more) as I do.
”
Hurm.....

Definitely agreed on point 1. I enjoyed the give in take in Shadow Ops.

I'd like to hear you flesh out point 2 a lil' bit (and FWIW, my lycanthrope is natural, not afflicted, so the moon won't be an issue).

For point 3, are you saying that if Malek goes to pick a lock, you'd rather me describe it and leave it at that? Does that mean YOU'LL be rolling all the dice? (I'm perfectly comfortable with that, BTW - maybe even prefer it) How do I communicate to you the intricacies of what I want to do (especially, say, with putting certain points but not all in to power attack, or combat expertise, etc....)

Also, it occured to me that you are all still referencing the SRD for character creation. That's ok and all, but it indicates to me that maybe you're not using Hero Forge? TSK! TSK! All you need is Excell 2003 or better, and it's easily the best and most comprehensive approach to building a DnD 3.5 character I've ever come across. And - which is better yet - it's open liscence.

Check out Hero Forge, Spell Forge, and Chris you MAY want to look at Party Forge. (heck there's others in there too) It'd make it VERY easy for us to pass characters around, too, without running the risk of them being deleted from the internet like poor Jacks. *sniffle!*
Unread 24th of May, 2008, 07:01
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Oh lord, here we go with Hero Forge.

Jacks lives forever in our hearts and minds!
Unread 24th of May, 2008, 07:12
Chris Chandler

Oh, I am all about some HeroForge (though I wish they'd move SF out of beta already!). I mention the SRD for easy reference.

Doom, you are the most happy pirate I've ever seen. Yes... very happy.

I'm about to head out the door, but I really, seriously, like what I'm seeing so far. I'll see if I can pop in later this evening, or perhaps over the weekend.