Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darius's Games > Against the Darkness

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 31st of May, 2011, 02:19
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.75 per day)
Chapter 1: Murder in the Poe House

Benjamin

Benjamin had bee out walking down by the waterfront, enjoying the breeze coming off of the harbor on what was otherwise a humid summer night in Baltimore when he felt the tap on his shoulder.

Turning, he saw that it was Evan Montrose, ranking White Council member in Baltimore, and really, the only other wizard worthy of the name in the area.

"I've got something you might be interested in," Evan said, looking out over the water. "There was a murder earlier today, looks like by magic. I called it in, but the Wardens are all busy with other matters. Was wondering if you might be able to look into it. The address is 203 Amity Street, you know the Edgar Allan Museum. Be there at 11:00."

It isn't quite a question, but still falls short of an order.

Yori

Yori had been sleeping, taking advantage of a respite when his Master didn't have some pressing business to take care of. He woke when he heard the sound of a piece of paper being slipped under his door. A quick glance at the clock told him it was just past ten at night.

The paper was a thick weave, the calligraphy of an exquisite style that Yori was all too familiar with. On the envelope was a very limited amount of information:

Paul Mackey
203 Amity Street
11:00 pm
Details will follow

Sam

Sam had just gotten back to his apartment/office after a long day of tracking down what someone had claimed was a poltergeist but what had in act turned out to be a very mischievous colony of feral cats.

"Sam? Paul Mackey of the Edgar Allan Museum here. I have something for you. An associate of mine has had a rather unfortunate accident and I was hoping you might be able to look into it. I'd go through more official channels, but well, this more in your line of work I believe. Can you be at the museum for 11:00?"


Sidney

"Oh, hey Sid!"

Sidney had been out for a walk by Roosevelt Park, enjoying the relatively clean air as composed to the rest of the city.

Turning, she saw Justin, one of the younger skatepunks that she knew in passing.

"Hey, you know my Uncle Paul who runs the old Poe House? He told me to keep an eye out for you. Something about wanting to meet at 11:00 and how this might you get in good with some of the others like you. I'm not really sure what he meant by that. Anyway, if you are interested, he said 11:00 tonight. Oh, and he told me to tell you that Yori'd be there. Said you would know what that meant."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 31st of May, 2011, 04:29
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
"Thanks, Paul. Keeping some late hours, but that's fine. I do most of my best work then anyway. I'll see you at 11:00."

Sam sat back when he got off the phone. His dogs were barking and he was sure that he had a blister forming on his big toe. He'd picked a bad day to try breaking in some new shoes. He slapped some moleskin on the blister and headed for the kitchenette--just a stovetop, microwave, and mini-fridge, really. He reached for a packet of ramen noodles and a small pot and turned on the one real extravagance, his Keurig. A cup of coffee and some carbs were pretty much all he got by on, and the energy boost they'd give him were essential for late-night work. Maybe I oughta look into that new 5-Hour energy shit all the kids drink now. That or one of those Red Bull things.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 31st of May, 2011, 09:53
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.74 per day)
Sidney waved Justin off.

She stood at the edge of the park, staring at it. "In good with some of the others like me"? The hell is that supposed to mean.
A long pause. I should really just walk away. Not my job to fix things, and I don't care about the fucking "community" here.

There was another long pause, before she abruptly turned to go back to her bike.
Yori's going to be there. That'll be nice. Plus there's no way it'll as bad as last time.
She stopped again to look at the evening sky. First though, some fish and chips. Yes.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 31st of May, 2011, 12:56
Seanberry's Avatar
Seanberry
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member: #8277
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 70 (0.03 per day)
Yori quickly takes the note and memorizes it, then burns it. Looking around his small apartment Yori quickly goes to his laptop and Googles the address. The Edgar Allen Poe Society of Baltimore. Haven't been there before. Wonder what HE wants there. Oh well. Best prepare.

Yori quickly slips into the shower and cleans up, not bothering to shave. Getting out he quickly dresses in black jeans, black boots and a white dress shirt with a white muscle shirt underneath.

He then quickly collects his travel pack and double checks its contents. Weeks worth of no spoilable food...check, flairs...check, med kit...check, passports...check, flashlight...check, waterproof matches...check, 2 changes of cloths...check and so on making sure all the necessities were in the pack before he got near to leaving. His father had trained him long ago to pack an emergency bag, make sure it covered all the average basics and make sure it is ready to go at all time.

He then goes to his shelf, selects the case holding his Beretta M96 with ammo and shoulder holster. He opens the case, ensuring the weapon, ammo and permit are all inside and ready to go. Looking back to where he burnt the note, Yori goes back to his shelf and grabs a second case, which held a .40 caliber revolver including shells, holster, and permit. Never know what is gonna happen.

Grabbing his leather bomber jacket, hat and keys Yori jogs down the flight of stairs to his car and gets on the road, stopping to grab a coffee on the way.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 31st of May, 2011, 19:36
GIJ00
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member: #7593
Posts: 147 (0.05 per day)
Spinning around at the abrupt tap on his shoulder, Benjamin forces himself to relax upon seeing that it was just Evan Montrose. Studying the other man intently, he nods "Of course I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up Evan." Making the obligatory small talk about life and family for the next few minutes, Benjamin quickly excuses himself. "Typical Evan, always passing the buck. The lazy bastard doesn't want to deal with the situation himself so he sends me..." Grumbling to himself, he walks up and down the waterfront, simply killing time until the meeting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 2nd of June, 2011, 10:37
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.75 per day)
One by one the disparate indviduals arrived at the house, a small two story brick building in downtown Baltimore.

Yori was the first to arrive, his coffee about half-gone by the time he arrived.

Sam was next, limping slightly, but with an otherwise determined look on his face.

Benjamin was the third to arrive, looking like he had swallowed something he didn't like the taste of.

Sidney arrived last, though still a few moments before the appointed time.

A light could be seen inside the house, but given the late hour it was unlikely that the house was open for any normal sort of business. In fact, a sign can be seen posted to the door that reads "Closed Until Further Notice."

[ooc: Feel free to interact a bit here and let me know how your characters want to proceed.]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 2nd of June, 2011, 10:37
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.75 per day)
One by one the disparate indviduals arrived at the house, a small two story brick building in downtown Baltimore.

Yori was the first to arrive, his coffee about half-gone by the time he arrived.

Sam was next, limping slightly, but with an otherwise determined look on his face.

Benjamin was the third to arrive, looking like he had swallowed something he didn't like the taste of.

Sidney arrived last, though still a few moments before the appointed time.

A light could be seen inside the house, but given the late hour it was unlikely that the house was open for any normal sort of business. In fact, a sign can be seen posted to the door that reads "Closed Until Further Notice."

[ooc: Feel free to interact a bit here and let me know how your characters want to proceed.]
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 2nd of June, 2011, 11:22
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
"Ben, how are ya? It's been a few months, but the paper's been swamped with bullshit stories and I've been stuck chasing them down. Haven't had a legit encounter since that run-in we had with the corpsetaker down by the Aquarium."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 2nd of June, 2011, 19:33
GIJ00
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member: #7593
Posts: 147 (0.05 per day)
"Sam!" Ben's face breaks into a grin as he shakes the other man's hand "Sounds like the papers had you chasing down Bigfoot huh? I'll let ya know if I see em..." He stops talking as Sidney arrives, his grin vanishing quickly "Great, Marica is here, as if I didn't have enough headaches already." With a sigh he turns back to Sam "So do you know anything about all of this?" he says, waving his hand at the house. "I heard something about a murder that might have possibly been committed with magic and told to be here at eleven. I'm guessing that everyone else here was told something along the same lines."

Last edited by GIJ00; 2nd of June, 2011 at 21:23.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 2nd of June, 2011, 21:40
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
"Nah, wasn't told it was a murder, but from the curator's tone, and his little hints, I suspected it was something like that." Sam glanced at his watch before continuing. "Only another minute or so before we find out what's up. I'm hoping it was nothing supernatural, but since it concerns Poe, I think I'd have to bet on faeries being involved. Did you know he sold his afterlife in order to marry his cousin like that? Should have made a better deal on compensation, if ya ask me. Poor schmuck never had an easy time of it financially. They found him wearing someone else's clothes and babbling incoherently a fews nights before he died."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 3rd of June, 2011, 00:16
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.74 per day)
At this point, Sidney joined the group, smelling vaguely of fish and vinegar.
"Yori, hey! And... Benjamin. Hello."
She gave Ben a look, then focused on Sam. "And... we haven't met. Marica Leigh, but please call me Sidney."
She began to offer her hand, paused, laughed slightly, then offered her left. Sam noticed the end of a chain coming out from under her jacket, wrapped several times around her hand. He also noticed the faintest hint of 'ozone,' or something, and a feeling of static electricity.

Last edited by zachol; 3rd of June, 2011 at 00:22.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 3rd of June, 2011, 00:49
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
"Nice to meet ya, Sidney." Sam raised the hand to his lips and kissed it lightly. He felt awkward, but that felt more natural than trying to shake the wrong hand. It was also quite a bit less unlucky, and Sam had a really hard time doing things deliberately unlucky.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 3rd of June, 2011, 07:06
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.74 per day)
"Heh, you as well. I should really figure out something better."
She smiled, then focused on Yori.
"And you. How have you been?"
__________________
Sleepy cat is sleepy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 3rd of June, 2011, 07:43
GIJ00
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member: #7593
Posts: 147 (0.05 per day)
A forced smile appears on Ben's face as Sidney addresses him "Hello Marcia". Quite content to fade into the background as he had little tolerance for the social niceties, Ben observed the others as they talked amongst themselves. Finally deciding that he'd had enough of the smalltalk, Ben walked up to the door and knocked sharply.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 3rd of June, 2011, 13:01
Seanberry's Avatar
Seanberry
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member: #8277
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 70 (0.03 per day)
Yori looks over the group chatting, taking note of the minor tensions where they appeared. Yori is sitting on the edge of his car, smoking and finishing his coffee. Yori keeps quiet and lets the others talk. When Sidney points him out he acknowledges her and says "Evenin Ma'am," and to the others "Fellas". Turning his attention to Sidney he smirked a little and said with his cigarette hanging out of his mouth "I'm surviving. Seems like my boss decided to give me a couple weeks light duties so I've been relaxing. How you been?"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 3rd of June, 2011, 13:53
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.74 per day)
"Super bored. Building things. Working on a Faraday cage, actually." Her lips thinned into a slight frown. "It's not going well."
She glanced back when Ben knocked, then back to Yori. "So you know what this is about or what?"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 5th of June, 2011, 11:28
Seanberry's Avatar
Seanberry
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member: #8277
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 70 (0.03 per day)
Yori finished the last swallow of his coffee and tossed the empty cup into the car, on the floor on the passingers side. Noding to Sidney Yori comments "Sucks it is not going well. Keep at it. You'll get it in time. "

Looking up to the Poe house with it's closed sign and lights on "No idea what is going on, but I rairly do until the bitter end. Doesn't matter much. Still we plod on. Never been here before...you? Seems like a dump. Think a guy that popular could afford something better."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 5th of June, 2011, 12:05
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.74 per day)
"Heh. It is more that he stayed here, and when he did he was young."
She shrugged. "I am here more because Paul asked, apparently. He is a friend."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 5th of June, 2011, 14:20
Seanberry's Avatar
Seanberry
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member: #8277
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 70 (0.03 per day)
Yori nods and says nothing. He understood that people had friends, Yori just hadn't had any since Highschool. Too much to do.

Looking over he nods to Ben and says with a knowing smirk "Long time no see. Never got to tell you, nice, clean work on the thing with the thing and the thing."

Nodding to Sam he says "You never did call me about going for that beer"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 5th of June, 2011, 22:20
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
"Sorry about that, Yori," Sam replied. "Haven't had much time for beer myself. Paper's been getting a lot of strange tips recently. Most of them are nothing, but it seems to be busier than it was a year ago. I've got my assumptions why, of course, but no one really believes the crazy old coot who claims to have seen monsters up close and personal."
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 6th of June, 2011, 16:01
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.74 per day)
"Oh, Yori, you know Benjamin and this Sam fellow? I should have suspected, you always... wait."
Sidney paused for a second, her mischievous grin suddenly turning into a frown. "Wait, Benjamin. Did you say murder earlier, when I was coming up? Is that what's going on?"
She glanced at the door, then at Sam, and back to Ben, before breaking off, walking away from the group and muttering to herself.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 8th of June, 2011, 05:40
Seanberry's Avatar
Seanberry
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member: #8277
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 70 (0.03 per day)
Yori sighs and shackes his head, removing his coat and putting his guns on. Why am I here for a murder? God I hope this is not a waste of time.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 8th of June, 2011, 08:54
GIJ00
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member: #7593
Posts: 147 (0.05 per day)
Benjamin glances backwards with an annoyed look on his face "Yes, I said murder Marcia." Sighing loudly, he knocks loudly again. When he still doesn't get a response, he turns back to face the others and drops his athletic bag on the ground. Watching Yori strap his guns on, Ben inclines his head slightly in a greeting.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 8th of June, 2011, 09:16
Seanberry's Avatar
Seanberry
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member: #8277
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 70 (0.03 per day)
Yori returns the nod and puts his jacket back on. While minding the door Yori is also watching the surrounding area, trying to note anything that might be important.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 9th of June, 2011, 10:17
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.75 per day)
Benjamin was just turning back away from the door when it opened, spilling light out onto the street.

An older gentleman stood in the doorway, dressed casually. His face was pale and drawn and he rubbed at the bridge of his nose. Sam at least recognizes him as Paul Mackey, curator of the museum.

"Good, you got here. I was hoping for one or two others, but I think I'll take what I can get. Come in, come in, all sorts of nastiness is out tonight." He paused. "There's a bit of it in here too, I'm afraid."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren