Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Cognitive Yammering

Unread 17th of December, 2011, 19:13
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
Rage Alchemist (Pathfinder)

So I had another idea for a character concept for an upcoming game I will be playing in. When I have an upcoming game I typically like to lay out some different character concepts I would be interested in playing that could fill different niches. I started looking through some of the base classes presented in the APG and became interested in the Alchemist. I really kind of like how it works mechanically and the opportunities it gives for RP advancement and character development. I started thinking of what kind of Alchemist I'd like to play and the mutagens are what caught my eye the most.

With that in mind I started to look at what options I had and what kind of character I could imagine that would work well with the mutagens. First I thought of Gnomes because of their craftyness but then quickly figured that would be cliche and didn't fit my concept of a character that could wade into melee when needed. Looking through the races I settled on Half-Orc. I know it seems odd for an Alchemist (which is one reason it fascinated me) but hang with me on this one. I think you'll like the concept.

I have got some further details about the game: the DM said he will likely be using 20 point buy for stats. With that in mind, take a look at the build and let me explain it a bit afterwords.

Str: 12
Dex: 12
Con: 18 (with the racial +2, placing all level ups here)
Int: 16
Wis: 8
Cha: 8

Traits: (if we are using them)
Legacy of Sand (Racial: +1 Will Save)
Berzerker of the Society (Class: Rage +3/day)

Race: Half-Orc

1st: Alchemist 1: Alchemy, Bombs 1d6, Brew Potion, Mutagen, Throw
Anything, Feat: Fight On
2nd: Barbarian 1: Fast Movement, Rage
3rd: Alchemist 2: Discovery: Feral Mutagen, Poison Resistance +2,
Poison Use, Feat: Endurance
4th: Alchemist 3: Bomb 2d6, Swift Alchemy
5th: Alchemist 4: Discovery: Infuse Mutagen, Feat: Die Hard
6th: Alchemist 5: Bomb 3d6, Poison Resistance +4
7th: Alchemist 6: Discovery: Lingering Spirit, Swift Poisoning, Feat:
Extra Rage
8th: Alchemist 7: Bomb 4d6
9th: Master Chemist 1: Bomb-Thrower, Mutagenic Form, Mutate 2/day,
Feat: Deathless Initiate
10th: Master Chemist 2: Advanced Mutagen: Nimble, Bomb 5d6
11th: Master Chemist 3: Brutality 2, Feat: Ironhide
12th: Master Chemist 4: Advanced Mutagen: Growth Mutagen, Bomb 6d6
13th: Master Chemist 5: Mutate 3/day, Feat: Deathless Master
14th: Master Chemist 6: Advanced Mutagen: Greater Mutagen, Bomb 7d6
15th: Master Chemist 7: Brutality 4, Feat: Extra Rage
16th: Master Chemist 8: Advanced Mutagen: Furious Mutagen, Mutate
2/day, Bomb 8d6
17th: Master Chemist 9: Brutality 6, Feat: Raging Vitality
18th: Master Chemist 10: Advanced Mutagen: Grand Mutagen, Mutate 5/day, Bomb 9d6

Alright, so when thinking of the concept for the character I was trying to decide on race. Gnome seemed good for a scholastic type alchemist as they are great with crafting but I wanted my guy to be a bit different. The setting we are playing in is going to be post apocalyptic fantasy. I decided I would like to make a character drawing from a couple of different inspirations. The Master Chemist screams Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde but I wanted to put a fantasy spin on it. I also wanted to play up the internal conflict between the personalities but decided I'd rather not make them completely seperate. More like a darker side of his personality that is trying to become the dominant side and fighting him subconciously.

For this build I decided to go Half-Orc as I thought it fit thematically with the struggle between his scientific human side and his violent orc side. I also decided I wanted to draw from the human experimentation on genetic alteration done in the Third Reich during WW2 and have this character be the result of magical genetic manipulation to create a "perfect warrior" hybrid. As the character grew though he became self interested in the experiment used to create him and continued to experiment on himself in an effort of self perfection. I wanted to play up the mental schizophrenic issues and also make him a megalomaniac perfectionist.

Now.... as for the mechanics and why I chose what I did. Let me go over them one by one.

Fight On - This feat fits the overall theme of the character with being a warrior that is capable of fighting after sustaining wounds what would otherwise kill him. 1/day gain HP = Con mod when reduced to below 0HP for 1min. This works well in conjunction with his ferocity racial trait and in combination with Rage from his barbarian class level as it increases his Con.

Feral Mutagen - His beastial side is starting to come forth giving a bite and 2 claw attacks. Did I mention that in Pathfinder all natural attacks are primary? This attack routine will be his modus operandi throughout his entire progression from here on out.

Endurance - Aside from being a prerequisite feat it is in theme with the character concept of physical self perfection and conditioning. Also, being able to sleep in his armor is good.

Infuse Mutagen - From here out his violent beastial side has become dominant and he is permanantly in that form/state of mind. He doesn't totally lose his alchemist personality though. He is just more violent. I'm going for the Strength boost here.

Feat - Die Hard: with a vengence. Excuse the pun. This is where he begins to become very hard to put down. He can keep fighting until at -20 HP. That is pre-rage and without item or spell buffs.

Lingering Spirit - So yeah, now he isn't dead until -30 HP (pre-rage, item/spell buff). Good luck killing him while he is still trying to rip your face off.

Extra Rage - Since rage is kinda a staple of this build this feat isn't a waste. Plus I needed to spend a feat before being able to qualify for his next feat. Very in theme either way.

Deathless Initiate - He now meets the steep requirements. Not staggered while using Die Hard and +2 to melee damage. Good luck trying to kill him while he is now able to full attack even while "dieing" and dealing more damage to your face.

Nimble - You know, I would have rather taken his other mutagens here but they have level requirements he doesn't yet meet. This definately helps when wading into melee though.

Ironhide - This is a prereq feat. +1 Natural AC still doesn't go to waste though.

Growth Mutagen - No longer will he be needing to quaff endless potions of Enlarge Person. Now he is big perminantly.

Deathless Master - While continuing to rip his opponent's face off while "dieing" he no longer hurts himself.

Greater Mutagen - Str +6, Con +4, Int -2, Wis -2, +4 natural armor. HULK SMASH!!! By this level I should easily be able to break 30 Con making the character not dead until -40 HP which will be tough to get to considering his massive HP pool by that time (8+1d12+7d8+6d10+140 = average 219 HP not considering items).

Raging Vitality - +2 Con while raging.

Furious Mutagen - All natural attacks move up 1 size category. They were already moved up 1 size category for being large size, this moves them up to huge size.

Toughness - By this level thats going to add up to a lot of HP. I didn't take it earlier as I was trying to get my prereq feats out of the way and had higher priorities.

Grand Mutagen - +8 Str, +6 Con, +4 Dex, -2 to Int, Wis, Cha. +6 natural armor. This stacks with Rage which will be giving +4 Str, +6 Con, -2 AC. Easily will have well over 400hp with items, and a 36 Con making him not dead until he has taken over 450 damage without getting healed. Thats without considering other extracts he will have applied to himself, buffs, other items, etc.

So whatcha think? Not too shabby? Opinions? Ideas?

A couple things I considered:

Ragechemist. While it is definately in theme the ongoing reduction of Int scares me.

I considered forgoing the Feral Mutagen in favor of just using spiked gauntlets. It is easier to get plusses to weapons than it is to natural weapons and it would free up a Discovery and an Advanced Mutagen but I'm not sure what I would take in their place. Also, I like the idea of the feral mutagen and it is in theme with the concept. Still...

I like the Master Alchemist feat but I don't see it as being a primary concern of this type of character. Plus the Pathfinder/3.5 crafting rules are retarded for making poisons or any alchemy item of great value. I'm thinking my GM is going to forgoe using them in favor of an alternate system. Not sure how that will play out but I would likely approve of this change. Still I am feat starved already and I don't see where I could fit that in.

Fast Healer interested me especially with making his own extracts and potions likely for self use. Again, not sure where I can fit that in. Equipment will basically produce the same effect though so I don't mind missing it. There are some other discoveries that fit well with it though.

I considered Draconic Mutagen, Wings etc. They are good but I'm not sure about giving the character a draconic feel. Its kinda cliche. Even so I considered seeing if my DM would allow me to shoe horn in Dragon Deciple into being qualifyable with Alchemist. Not sure where I would fit the levels in though if I did consider it. I'm pretty well spent as is. Maybe for levels 19 and 20. /shrug

The Internal Alchemist interests me. Especially if I wont be making a lot of alchemy items anyway.

Last edited by Lune; 18th of December, 2011 at 00:25.
Unread 17th of December, 2011, 20:39
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Another thing I could use some help on is extract selection. If anyone has any exerience with this or insight to offer I am definately open to your suggestions.
Unread 18th of December, 2011, 00:14
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I don't know enough about the alchemist to really make good suggestions, but I did want to note that you spend a lot of feats pushing death deep into the negative HP. Are there better feats than those?

Also, mutagens don't stack, so you can't be Feral and Large, for instance.
Unread 18th of December, 2011, 00:23
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

There aren't a lot of feats that accomplish the effect of fighting beyond when you should be unconscious. The ones I picked are the best of the lot IMO. I only really regret having to waste feats on the prereq ones like Endurance and Ironhide.

Where are you seeing that bit about the mutagens? I know you can't drink one mutagen that affects say Dex and another that affects say Str and have them both affect you at the same time. Was that what you were thinking?
Unread 18th of December, 2011, 02:48
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Nope. It's right at the end of the text about Mutagens.

“ The effects of a mutagen do not stack. Whenever an alchemist drinks a mutagen, the effects of any previous mutagen immediately end. ”
Screencap--
Unread 18th of December, 2011, 15:05
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Ok, but I read that differently. A mutagen lasts for 10min/level, so at 7th level it lasts for 70min. It takes 1hr to to brew a dose so you could feasibly have another mutagen prepaired while you have one active in your body. But when you imbibe the next mutagen it cancels out the previous mutagen. They don't stack.

Reading the text for Feral Mutagen for instance it states:
“ Whenever the alchemist imbibes a mutagen, he gains two claw attacks and a bite attack. ”
Whenever they imbibe it. It doesn't mean that this is the only effects that the mutagen gives. And all of the Advanced Mutagens from Master Chemyst use text like "When the Chemyst assumes her mutagenic form..." so it is clearly meant to stack. This includes the Growth Mutagen which states:
“ When the chymist assumes her mutagenic form... ”
Of course for some of them it would just make no sense at all if they didn't combine. Like if you couldn't use Furious Mutagen with Feral Mutagen then how could it increase the the die step of your natural attacks if you didn't have natural attacks to begin with? And why would it require Feral Mutagen as a prequisite to select it?

Unless I'm missing something pretty big here I think they NEED to stack for Master Chemyst to even work as intended.
Unread 18th of December, 2011, 15:44
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I simply cannot see any way around this one. It's pretty cut and dry right there. Any time an alchemist drinks a mutagen, the effects of any previous mutagen immediately end. There's no wiggle room there.

If you drink a feral mutagen and gain the attacks, and then drink the growth mutagen, you get bigger but lose the attacks. It says the effects of any previous mutagen end. And it says "immediately."

I mean, I even took the time to grab a screen cap. That's as obvious as I can make it. If you read it differently, then you simply have to be reading different words.

That's for a base Alchemist. You simply cannot have two mutagens active in your body at any one time.

Master Chymist changes things somewhat. You still can't have two mutagens active at any one time. There are times when you take an Advanced Mutagen (Furious, for instance) and what it does is add to the base Mutagen (Feral, in this case). But you still can't have Growth on top of that. Here's the bit from Master Chymist that discusses that.

“ Taking a mutagen or using the mutate ability again while in her mutagenic form works normally (with the new mutagen’s modifiers replacing the current modifiers, and the longer duration taking precedent). ”
So, if you are in mutagenic form (say from taking the Feral Mutagen as modified by Furious Mutagen) and then you take the Growth Mutagen, the Feral Mutagen modifiers go away, but you stay in Mutagenic form.

I think it's specifically to prevent the kind of build you're going for, actually.

Again, you can be Feral (with the Furious modifiers added to Feral) or you could have Growth, but you can't be both. The minute you imbibe the second mutagen, the effects of the first end.

Another problem - you can't take Growth Mutagen until your combined alchemist level is 16, which, for your build, isn't until you hit level 17. You could take Furious at 12, leave Greater where it is, but you'd have to move Growth to level 18.
Unread 18th of December, 2011, 16:45
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Merc, that isn't how it works. Just read the text, bud.
“ Whenever the alchemist imbibes a mutagen, he gains two claw attacks and a bite attack. ”
Whenver the alchemist imbibes a mutagen. Ok, so say he is drinking a mutagen that grants him +4 Str, +2 AC and -2 Int. We will call it a "strength mutagen". Whenever he drinks the strength mutagen he gains two claw attacks and a bite attack.

Thats how it works because thats what it says. Now, I agree that I couldn't drink a strength mutagen, start working on making a constitution mutagen and drink it when I was done to gain both affects. That is what the text you are referencing prevents. In such a case the duration would be reset and the newest mutagen's abilities would take effect.

And to be clear with my build I'm not talking about ever making seperate mutagens. I'm talking about making a single mutagen. This mutagen would be a strength mutagen. And when he drinks the mutagen he gains claws and bite attack from the feral mutagen discovery.

You can so have Growth mutagen on top of it. That is specifically how it works. Just read the text. It says:
“ When the chymist assumes her mutagenic form, she increases one size category... ”
It does NOT say, "...the master chemist can make a mutagen that does X". If it did then I would agree with you. But it doesn't. It specifically states that this happens when they assume their mutagenic form. It happens. When they assume their mutagenic form. Period. There is no "second mutagen". There is only the one mutagen. And that mutagen is perminant thanks to Infuse Mutagen.

And it isn't to prevent the type of build that I'm going for, Merc. The entire Prc is built around making this type of build. That is what it does. Do me a favor and go look around the interwebs at some Master Chemyst builds and I think you will see my point.

You are right, however, about when I had taken Growth. I'd have to switch Furious and Growth around. Its the same net effect actually as he could still just be drinking enlarge extracts until he gets perminant growth.
Unread 19th of December, 2011, 01:46
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by Lune # Merc, that isn't how it works. Just read the text, bud.

Whenver the alchemist imbibes a mutagen. Ok, so say he is drinking a mutagen that grants him +4 Str, +2 AC and -2 Int. We will call it a "strength mutagen". Whenever he drinks the strength mutagen he gains two claw attacks and a bite attack.
”
You're arguing against something that I'm not arguing. That bit is correct.

“ Thats how it works because thats what it says. Now, I agree that I couldn't drink a strength mutagen, start working on making a constitution mutagen and drink it when I was done to gain both affects. That is what the text you are referencing prevents. In such a case the duration would be reset and the newest mutagen's abilities would take effect. ”
This is what I was saying.

“ And to be clear with my build I'm not talking about ever making seperate mutagens. I'm talking about making a single mutagen. This mutagen would be a strength mutagen. And when he drinks the mutagen he gains claws and bite attack from the feral mutagen discovery. ”
Yes, this is fine.

“ You can so have Growth mutagen on top of it. That is specifically how it works. Just read the text. It says: ”
I guess I just don't understand how the mutagen works, then. The text is exceedingly unclear about this.

“ And that mutagen is perminant thanks to Infuse Mutagen. ”
That's not what Infuse says. What it does say is that you can have a second mutagen potion.
“ This allows an alchemist to create different types of mutagens and keep them handy for emergencies. This does not allow an alchemist to gain the effects of multiple mutagens—only the most recently imbibed mutagen has any effect. ”
“ Do me a favor and go look around the interwebs at some Master Chemyst builds and I think you will see my point. ”
Just because other people have made a build does not make them correct. But I'm willing to concede that I just don't understand how the hell Mutagen as a class ability is supposed to work. The way I read it is that each Mutagen can have one effect, but it looks like you're telling me that a Mutagen as the base effect you brew into it (+4 Str, +2 Natural AC, -2 Int), and that the other effects, Feral or Growth, are added into that mutagen. I wish the text was far clearer than it is. I read it like potions with separate effects, not one potion that builds multiple effects into it. If it works like you say, then, yes, I'm wrong about it.

And if that's the case, I guess I'm done with the argument.

“ You are right, however, about when I had taken Growth. I'd have to switch Furious and Growth around. Its the same net effect actually as he could still just be drinking enlarge extracts until he gets perminant growth. ”
At least I was right about something.

The Alchemist class is confusing enough that I don't think I'd ever try a build that wasn't just a bomb-thrower. That entry makes sense to me.

Last edited by Mercutio; 19th of December, 2011 at 01:52.
Unread 19th of December, 2011, 01:52
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Here's why it throws me -- in Discoveries, there is this bit.
“ Only one such discovery can be applied to an individual bomb. ”
I guess I was applying this to extract and mutagen, too, which it clearly does not do. In my mind, I was equating the Mutagen with extracts.
Unread 19th of December, 2011, 02:10
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
I'd try to help ya, Lune - but this delves too deeply into PF rules and stuff for me. Merc's question about the best healer was much easier to get into.

... you'll need to wait for LP if you want more detailed advice, I guess. He seems to be into the AGP and stuff pretty much. I only know most of Core.
Unread 19th of December, 2011, 15:34
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Hrm. You know, I think your right about Infuse Mutagen. I guess when I read this:
“ ...the mutagen created persists on its own and is not rendered inert if the alchemist creates another mutagen. ”
I thought it meant that the mutagen in his body persists. Not that the vial of it that he created and has yet to drink persists. That makes the feat entirely not worthwhile for me to take.

That also makes me think about how much I want to go with feral mutagen as opposed to using spiked gauntlets and Two Weapon Fighting. I mean if he is only going to be able to be in mutagenic form 10min/lvl typically once per day (unless he takes an hour time out to create another mutagen) until he gets into Master Chymist where he can do it 3/day ore more then maybe I want to go with a weapon he can use in his normal form too. Hm... or if I go Internal Alchemist I could take Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat instead of a discovery. Thats only one attack though. I think I'd be further ahead with the spiked gauntlets and two weapon fighting.

Hm. This now requires more thought.
Unread 20th of December, 2011, 07:35
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Hey Lune- slight problem with the build from an attribute/feat perspective. Deathless Initiate requires Str 13. You can easily get that by picking Str as your lvl 4 or 8 attribute bump.

As for extracts- anything that increases stats are your friend. I would also seriously consider Alchemical Allocation and Fly once they become available. The Cure line of extracts can also come in handy- getting you back on your feat faster.

In place of Infuse Mutagen, why not take Spontaneous Healing? (Also- Infuse Mutagen costs $1k a pop and does 2 points Int damage to create- so very not worth in my opinion).

EDIT: NM- Master Chymist and Alchemist stack for purposes of qualifying for Persistent Mutagen. So you'll have a mutagen that lasts for 1/hour per lvl at lvl 15.

Last edited by Darius; 20th of December, 2011 at 08:15.
Unread 21st of December, 2011, 00:46
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

“ Originally Posted by Darius Master Chymist and Alchemist stack for purposes of qualifying for Persistent Mutagen. ”
Is this true?

“ Originally Posted by Master Chymist Extracts per Day: At the indicated levels, a master chymist gains new extracts per day as if she had also gained a level in alchemist. She does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for extracts per day and an increased effective caster level for extracts. ”
I mean it would certainly make sense that it would as that is the entire basis of the class but I can't find where it says that it does.
Unread 21st of December, 2011, 01:02
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I can't prove that it's true, but I think Darius is correct. Here's the bit that I think speaks to that.

“ In this form, she gains all the bonuses and penalties of her mutagen and adds together her alchemist and master chymist levels together to determine her effective alchemist level for the duration of this form. ”
Unread 21st of December, 2011, 02:52
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
The argument against it is that Persistent Mutagen is a class feature to alchemist, and therefore Alchemist and MC don't stack to get it.

However, at the aforementioned 15th lvl you can mutate for a 140 min duration, 3 x per day.4x per day when you figure that you have a mutagen that you can still use on top of it. The only downside is that if you want to revert back to you "normal" form you expend a use of mutate. Barring that though, that's what- 9+ hours of change, w/o persistent mutagen?

So I guess the question really is, when do you foresee needing more than that?
Unread 8th of January, 2012, 17:33
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Alright, after doing some more reading on this I believe the popular opinion is that Persitant Mutagen not being gained with Master Chymist is a feature not a downfall. The reasoning behind this seems to be that you have no way to prematurely end your Mutate and it may be desirable to NOT be in this form. Thus it is likely better to have more uses at a shorter duration than it is to have less uses at a longer duration. Personally, I would still prefer it to be a longer duration (perminant if doable) but regardless of the ruling on whether it stacks or not I think this is still workable.

I think we will end up playing through a heavily modified Jade Regent adventure path to fit the post apocalyptic world that my DM has made. With that being true and the clarification on how some of the mutagens work this is how I have altered the character build:

Traits:
Berzerker of the Society (Class: Rage +3/day)
Another trait that is likely going to be Adventure Path specific

Race: Half-Orc

1st: Alchemist 1: Alchemy, Bombs 1d6, Brew Potion, Mutagen, Throw
Anything, Feat: Endurance
2nd: Barbarian 1: Fast Movement, Rage
3rd: Alchemist 2: Discovery: Feral Mutagen, Poison Resistance +2,
Poison Use, Feat: Die Hard
4th: Alchemist 3: Bomb 2d6, Swift Alchemy
5th: Alchemist 4: Discovery: Extend Potion, Feat: Extra Discovery: Lingering Spirit
6th: Alchemist 5: Bomb 3d6, Poison Resistance +4
7th: Alchemist 6: Discovery: Eternal Potion, Swift Poisoning, Feat:
Fight On
8th: Alchemist 7: Bomb 4d6
9th: Master Chymist 1: Bomb-Thrower, Mutagenic Form, Mutate 2/day,
Feat: Deathless Initiate
10th: Master Chymist 2: Advanced Mutagen: Nimble, Bomb 5d6
11th: Master Chymist 3: Brutality 2, Feat: Ironhide
12th: Master Chymist 4: Advanced Mutagen: Furious Mutagen, Bomb 6d6
13th: Master Chymist 5: Mutate 3/day, Feat: Deathless Master
14th: Master Chymist 6: Advanced Mutagen: Greater Mutagen, Bomb 7d6
15th: Master Chymist 7: Brutality 4, Feat: Extra Rage
16th: Master Chymist 8: Advanced Mutagen: Growth Mutagen, Mutate
2/day, Bomb 8d6
17th: Master Chymist 9: Brutality 6, Feat: Raging Vitality
18th: Master Chymist 10: Advanced Mutagen: Grand Mutagen, Mutate 5/day, Bomb 9d6

I did consider Spontaneous Healing but am undecided as there are other ways to obtain that effect. I could just get a scroll or something of Giant Form and become a Troll to gain Regeneration 5. It is a toss up between picking up Extra Discovery: Spontaneous Healing rather than Raging Vitality though. Neither function all of the time but I suppose that Spontaneous Healing would have an opportunity to happen more often. Both are in theme. I'll probably just leave it up in the air and decide later if/when I ever get to that level.

In answer to this question:
“ So I guess the question really is, when do you foresee needing more than that? ”
It isn't so much that I would need more than that by that level, but prior to that level I'm not going to be able to stay in the mutagenic form for very long. I'd count it for 1, maybe 2 encounters per day in the early levels. Considering that is where the focus of the build is on I'm not sure how effective the character will be outside of his mutagenic form. So I have been trying to think of ways that I could try to extend his mutagenic form. I was thinking maybe things that increase caster level might work like a Bead of Karma from a Necklace of Prayer Beads but now I'm not so sure that would work for two reasons: Mutagen is a (Su) Supernatural Ability rather than a Spell Like ability and because it is worded as "10 minutes per alchemist level." So I guess it probably isn't affected by caster level. I'd have to see what my GM thinks on it but my gut feeling is that there is likely nothing that can increase the duration of it short of gaining more class levels.

Unless someone knows some way of making mutagens last longer?...

I was also really torn between using Cestus for a weapon or the natural attacks granted from Feral Mutagen. In the long run I think the natural attack will be better for several reason:
1. I am always considered armed and do not have to have a weapon out
2. I can hold things in the his hands without having to drop a weapon and pick a weapon up to be able to melee
3. It gives 3 attacks early but only for a relatively short period of time. Since I doubt I will be getting more than 3 itterive attacks per round this is likely preferable. Besides there are a lot of things that stack with natural attacks in this build (Furocious mutagen, size increases to all natural weapons, greater magic fang potions, etc.)

However Cestus has it's own benefits:
1. It is easier to enchant a weapon than it is to get weaponlike properties on your natural attacks.
2. There is a possibility of two weapon fighting stacking with itterive attacks, however this is feat intensive in a build that is already slim on feats.
3. They still work in his natural form.

I'm really torn. I suppose I could do both. Cestus for his natural form, natural attacks for his mutagenic form. Actually I was thinking of using a Heavy Crossbow or something in his normal form when he isn't using his bombs.

I had considered fitting in Power Attack into the build as it is going to have a fairly high Str. However, I considered against it for a few reasons. Firstly, he wouldn't entirely benefit from it with his natural weapons. Well, not like when using a two handed weapon anyway. Also, its just another feat to try to fit into an already feat starved build. Besides I think he will be doing pretty decent damage simply with his weapon damage rolls plus strength modifier and later with Brutality. I also plan on getting an amulet of might fists with some weapon property (shocking?, keen?, holy?) on it later as well.

I have also been considering other alchemist class archetypes. The first that springs to mind is Rage Chemist but I'm kinda affraid of the constant Will saves to avoid Int damage. The rest of the archetype is sexy though. All of the others is kinda dependant on the campaign as I don't know how often we will have a chance to have some down time so I could make alchemical items or poisons. Vivisectionist is nice if I don't plan on using bombs at all but I kinda like having a backup tactic particularly to use in the early levels when I can't be in mutagenic form much/often. Internal alchemist is good and I don't really know what I would lose by not having Throw Anything as I don't believe it would interfere with the throwing of bombs or alchemical items (unless I'm missing something here?). I'm not sure how often Breath Mastery would come into play though either, the bonus feats would not be used as I already want more discoveries than naturally come with the class. Disease Resistance and Uncanny Dodge may appeal to me more than Swift Alchemy/Poisoning though depending I guess on the availability of reagents and amount of downtime we are likely to have. The Chirurgeon is interesting but doesn't really fit the build.

Beyond that, how does it look?