Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Closed Thread
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 06:17
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7929
Marvel: Los Angeles

After a long period of contemplation, I've finally settled on a second game to run on this site, namely Mutants & Masterminds, set in the Marvel Universe. Anyone interested in this game will need to have a copy of the Second Edition core rulebook.

The setting for this game is relatively simple: players are individuals who've only just come into their powers, and have not yet made a name for themselves. Los Angeles is where it'll all begin, though such a fact can change if needed, or if desired by the characters themselves.

Story will be relatively open-ended: what the characters do with their powers, how the public sees them... it's all up to the protagonists. Iconic characters might well show up, now and then, depending on the progression of the story.

Anyone interested in playing needs to send me the following information: a basic backstory for your character, a physical and personality description, a full set of statistics (with Power Point costs), and a sample post offering me some idea of how you as a player write, and how your character comes across in the game. As always, I want to remind players that I will choose detailed and lengthy posters over other applicants.

The Power Level for base characters will be 8 (they're inexperienced at the start of the game); I'm willing to look over any-and-all concepts from applicants, but might turn down ones that I think do not fit in the setting.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 11th of May, 2010 at 23:13.
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 11:33
5Solas
Ghoul

Member: #7474
Sounds like an interesting and fun concept. I've never used the system or played a heroes game but count me in; I'll send you a PM somewhat soon with the necessary info.
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 13:02
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Dang it, I was hoping this was going to use the Universe rules (ie the one with stones)!
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 19:19
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

I don't possess the Universe rules, nor have I ever used them before.

I'll wait for your PM 5Solas; in the meantime, feel free to shoot questions my way.
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 22:00
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
I have the Universe rules, the original MSH rules and I even have M&M. So I'm game. I'm also very well versed on the Marvel universe at least upto 2000 or so.

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 5th of May, 2010 at 01:36.
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 03:46
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Is it possible to get the Universe rules in pdf? And if you want to join, feel free to send me the necessary information.
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 03:54
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
Originally Posted by Shakespeare # Is it possible to get the Universe rules in pdf? And if you want to join, feel free to send me the necessary information.
Yes, there are pdfs available for most games nowadays. Sure thing will do.
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 07:03
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Slight change of plan guys: send me everything that's asked for above, but do not include stats yet - I'm going to look over Universe and then decide between it and M&M for rules. You can plan for characters though.
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 18:37
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Okay, looking over the Marvel Universe RPG; it appears sound, but because of my limited knowledge of the system, I'm leaning more towards Mutants & Masterminds. So for the foreseeable future, everyone assume that that's our rule system.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 5th of May, 2010 at 21:38.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 01:58
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Good luck guys.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 02:15
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
I am interested. In fact, very interested. However, I do not have the Mutants and Masterminds rules, and the next week is going to be hectic (finals week).
Acquiring the rules and figuring them out would take at least a few days, but probably not more than that, and I'm assuming I could get a good handle on the rules by the time we actually got to the crunchy bits.

Very roughly, I'm leaning toward some sort of teleportation or a Kitty Pryde-style intangibility power.
Could probably have a PM later today.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 03:22
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Don't worry about taking some time to read the rules: they're relatively straight forwards, and I don't plan on getting this game up and running until I have four fully detailed PCs, at any rate.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 07:02
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Okay, sorry to mess you around guys, but I'm looking over Marvel Universe, and it's starting to look vastly appealing to me. But I know I can depend on Mutants & Masterminds.

SO! I'm going to ask for a quick vote from those who are interested: which system do you prefer and, more importantly, why. Input will help me make a final decision.

With regards to the applications, just send me the information required without the stats. Once a system is decided upon, statistics can be added immediately after.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 07:12
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Looking at the systems briefly, M&M seems to be a d20 system working off of a wide range of powers, and MU has some sort of diceless system.

Personally, I think if you're going to try to use complex mechanics, you might as well go whole hog and do, say, GURPS or Champions or whatever. I figure a diceless system might end up working better with a pbp, no?
I've barely glanced at either, and MU might end up being... odd, but if it has some sort of "describe powers however you want as long as its balanced within this simple system" deal, I'd be interested.

Although, again, I have neither, and MU looks like it might be harder to get a hold of. I'd rather not actually buy a hardcover if possible.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 07:21
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I like M&M a lot, and helped Jackelope King in his significant tweak to the system that he marketed as d20Advanced, so I'm fairly familiar with the system and like it.

But if it's Marvel Universe you're after, there's a free system called 4C as in 4 Color. It captures the basic idea behind the Marvel FASERIP and has the benefit of being free and fairly simple.

In any case, if you think about M&M or 4C, I think I'd like to participate.

Last edited by Mercutio; 6th of May, 2010 at 07:25.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 08:16
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Like I said, I don't know enough without looking through Marvel Universe more thoroughly. I'm trying to remedy this, however.

Keep giving opinions guys; I'll make a decision sometime soon, after I've finished the read.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 08:27
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Hmm. MU, on further perusal, is... rather complex, and uses a sort of system that I'm not familiar with (GURPS would be worse, but at least I know it). It's rather hard to judge how well I'd like it just from the system.
M&M, on the other hand, has a somewhat familiar d20 point buy deal.

I'm sort of leaning toward M&M at the moment.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 08:44
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Hmm, the MU system is different from what I thought you were talking about. I'm completely unfamiliar with how it works over the Marvel Superheroes Game (FASERIP).

I'd definitely lean more towards M&M given it vs. MU.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 08:48
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

I was wondering where the faseripping came in.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 15:27
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Oh man. I've had a superhero concept I've wanted to play for years, but I'm pretty sure I've got no time to write it up in the next month.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 19:17
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Okay, I've decided to use the Mutants & Masterminds system. The other system is good, but I don't know it well enough to use it fairly in a game that I'm already 3/4 of the way to opening.

So kiddies, feel free to make your characters and send all of the information my way. But I'd like to remind applicants that the player characters begin at Power Level 8, not Power Level 10.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 19:18
Haraphen
Ghoul

Member: #7958
im certenly game and ive had a we look at MU and i have to say im also leaning more towards M&M also.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 19:50
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Originally Posted by Shakespeare # Okay, I've decided to use the Mutants & Masterminds system. The other system is good, but I don't know it well enough to use it fairly in a game that I'm already 3/4 of the way to opening.

So kiddies, feel free to make your characters and send all of the information my way. But I'd like to remind applicants that the player characters begin at Power Level 8, not Power Level 10.
See above, my friend.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 22:37
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I'll get to work writing up a M&M character today.

Haven't gone anywhere with stats and points yet, but concept-wise I'm thinking a gestalt being (2, maybe 3 component creatures--probably kids) who form a being that grows really pretty large.

Last edited by Mercutio; 7th of May, 2010 at 05:39.
Unread 7th of May, 2010, 06:51
Haraphen
Ghoul

Member: #7958
Originally Posted by Mercutio # I'll get to work writing up a M&M character today.

Haven't gone anywhere with stats and points yet, but concept-wise I'm thinking a gestalt being (2, maybe 3 component creatures--probably kids) who form a being that grows really pretty large.

oooh i like the sound of that. im making a cyborg character strong and tough. the sort of guy that gets thrown threw walls and stands back up
Closed Thread