Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Uncognitive Cackling

Unread 22nd of August, 2006, 09:11
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
As a series, the Dark Is Rising Sequence is better, although I think that taken individually, The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe are better books than any of the Dark Is Rising books.
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 05:29
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

Member: #1716
Ah come on, hasn't anybody read in a year?
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 07:59
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
“ Originally Posted by Benicus # Ah come on, hasn't anybody read in a year? ”
I'm reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian right now.

I recommend it.
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 08:01
nightinverse
Vampiric Dwarven Psychologist [Epic GM]

Member: #1101
Is that a new Conan, or an old one reprinted?

One of my first introductions to excessive content/minimal logic fantasy was some Conan book many years ago. I should dig it up, I think I have some Red Sonja as well.
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 11:00
Gnarsh
Banned Fool

Member: #26
Not exactly fantasy, but I just finished Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell. It's the third in a series of historical novels about Britain during the time of Alfred the Great. Good stuff, I need to track down the first two.
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 11:34
Cadrius

“ Originally Posted by nightinverse # Is that a new Conan, or an old one reprinted?

One of my first introductions to excessive content/minimal logic fantasy was some Conan book many years ago. I should dig it up, I think I have some Red Sonja as well.
”
It's a collection of his various Conan stories, many of them from the 30s. While I found a number of them to be a bit contrived, it's obviously important to consider these stories within the context, and time frame, that they were written.

Besides, The Tower of the Elephant is bloody cool.
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 11:56
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Member: #512
“ Originally Posted by Gnarsh # Not exactly fantasy, but I just finished Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell. It's the third in a series of historical novels about Britain during the time of Alfred the Great. Good stuff, I need to track down the first two. ”
I've not read that, but I still love the Warlord Chronicles, which are a pretty good take on the Arthurian legend. Think he wrote something about Stonehenge as well.

Never got into Sharp though.

Dunno if I've already mentioned this, but K.J. Parker's Engineer Trilogy is awesome so far, and the Fencer trilogy by the same author was good, if a little over-dark in places.
I think I may be going off Steven Erikson, because his latest few books have become ever more sententious, and the plot hasn't become any clearer.

Full marks go to Joe Abercrombie though, because the first two books of the First Law trilogy have been pretty amazing.
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 17:49
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
“ Originally Posted by Benicus # Ah come on, hasn't anybody read in a year? ”
I don't actually think I have read any fantasy in the last year actually. I'm waiting for the new Robin Hobb series to all get published and released in paperback.
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 19:43
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
I read the first book and it's... well... I read a review on it afterwards - the new series is quite different from the other three, readers can be disappointed if they expect it to have the same flavor. Which I loved as well. I read the Liveship Traders first, then the Fitz books.

Other than that G.R.R. Martin is plain awesome, but everyone agrees on that.

I like to read a Terry Pratchett book every once in a while as well.
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 21:46
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
“ Originally Posted by Cadrius I'm reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian right now.

I recommend it.
”
This fills me with joy .

I finished Across the Nightengale Floor a while back. I really liked it - about a sort of alternate feudal Japan.

I'm reading Assassin's Apprentice (recommended by the Notorious BRR) right now and thoroughly enjoying it.
Unread 13th of August, 2007, 23:38
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by Gralhruk #
the Notorious BRR
”
Like the Notorious BIG, but with more honeys and less bling.
Unread 14th of August, 2007, 13:32
Cadrius

“ Originally Posted by Tashalar # Other than that G.R.R. Martin is plain awesome, but everyone agrees on that. ”
Well...yes. Martin clearly has it going on. However, in the interest of (relative) objectivity, I will say that in my opinion he has yet to match A Game of Thrones in terms of excellence. It's not often that I absolutely devour a book. That one did it.

The following books are all solid and interesting and I have a tendency to read them far more avidly than any other series, but they have yet to eclipse the first. Perhaps that's merely the way of things; a new book in a series breaks ground for you and sets expectations. By comparison, I found The Fellowship of the Ring to be far more enjoyable than the other two.

But yes, Conan is awesome. The movies did not do these stories justice. Certainly some of the dialog is, well, from the 1930s, but the world was far more complex and interesting and Lovecraftian than the Schwarzenegger movies portrayed.
Unread 15th of August, 2007, 11:22
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

Conan is the shit hands down. I read one of the new series (The one that has Beyond the Black River {the shit!} and Red Nails {Awesome!}) it's awesome. I read a paperback called Conan and the Spider God by L.Sprague DeCamp....It was sooo horrible. >.<

I read The Green Mile and Pet Sematary by Stephen King (I liked The Green Mile a ton but Pet Sematary seemed like it was based around one scene at the end and then written from there).

I also read Harry Potter 7, pretty good too much Deus ex machina.

I read a few others but I can't remember them atm. Oh, and I very much dislike (near hate) The Fellowship of the Ring and all other LotR books. Good story, crappy writing imo.

I read the first few chapters of A Game of Thrones and now I want to go get that book, very good read. Anyway, gimme more stories of the fantastic/horrible!
Unread 25th of September, 2007, 05:31
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #15
I started reading The Lies of Locke Lamora over the weekend, and could hardly stand to put it down!

Go here and read the prologue (it's a rich text file), and see if you aren't hooked too...
Unread 25th of September, 2007, 06:31
Palanthias
Vampire Spawn

Member: #2814
I must say that I recomend "Stranger In a Strange Land" Robert A. Heinlein, a great Science fiction peice. I guess it is a stretch to call it fantasy but if you haven't read it you should. It is both entertaining and it has a good message without cramming it down your throat.
Unread 26th of September, 2007, 00:28
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by Kelemyn # I started reading The Lies of Locke Lamora over the weekend, and could hardly stand to put it down! ”
That skirted a little too close to cheesy in places, but I liked it enough to be prepared to spend money on the sequel, as and when it comes out.
Unread 30th of September, 2007, 04:47
Gralhruk

I've managed to squeeze a little time in for reading but my current "to read" queue is comprised entirely of books recommended in this thread so nothing new to recommend at the moment. Currently, I'm halfway through Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and I am finding it an excellent read.
Unread 30th of September, 2007, 04:52
BigRedRod

Good work, itches tried to read that and then bitched at me for recommending it him as he has no taste.

I still don't really read fantasy, although I'm having a little sci-fi kick as of late, which is almost the same (as may have been mentioned already). In terms of fantasy though, I've got the first two of Robin Hobb's latest trilogy. My plan is that when I finish my current book I'll make a start there and then the third will be in paperback when I finish the second.
Unread 30th of September, 2007, 07:02
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
No no, I read it in highschool on someone else's recommedation and now that man is marked for death.
Unread 30th of September, 2007, 09:38
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

Unread 30th of September, 2007, 11:58
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Fantasy? Just starting on the second book of the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever for the fourth (at least!) time since I bought the two series. Before that it was The Number of the Beast by Heinlein, but that's more sci-fi. I've been more on a sci-fi kick recently since I haven't received any GRR Martin stuff for any holidays and don't really have the cash to buy new books.
Unread 4th of October, 2007, 01:01
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #15
“ Originally Posted by The Alcotroll # That skirted a little too close to cheesy in places, but I liked it enough to be prepared to spend money on the sequel, as and when it comes out. ”
Cheesy? Hm, well, I wouldn't call it cheesy. It might not be perfect, but I am really enjoying it. The sequel, Red Seas Under Red Skies, is out already, by the way.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is Scott Lynch's first book, which really surprised me. It is very smoothly written, if that makes sense. You know, sometimes new writers don't have a good narrative flow, but this guy does. The characters live and breathe, the dialog is great, the setting is interesting and sustains the story, plus there's a fun, twisty plot.

I don't think I'm very good at saying why I think you should read this book. So listen to what George R. R. Martin has to say:

“Hugely enjoyable, a rollicking blast of solid fun; Locke Lamora cuts a roguish dash -- with all the swagger and the spark of Errol Flynn in his heyday -- and the twists and turns of the plot make for compulsive reading.”

Rollicking - there's a good word!
Unread 5th of October, 2007, 10:21
Gralhruk

Say, anybody read any of these, um

(searches hastily through amazon)

Weather Walker books by Rachel Caine? I've thumbed through one or two of them at the bookstore and the writing seemed okay. The first one is called Ill Wind.
Unread 21st of October, 2007, 01:17
Cadrius

Hal Duncan's Vellum: The Book of All Hours is a trip. The narration and the ideas within the book both strike me as quite unusual, and I think they're worth the price of admission.

But what's it about? Honestly, I'd recommend taking it on faith and not reading the summary. I know, who would trust me on a blind recommendation? This is one of those books where I think it's more entertaining to not know anything beforehand. It makes the discovery of the world all the more interesting.

It's $11 at Amazon. If you're looking for a book, I definitely recommend it.
Unread 21st of October, 2007, 03:39
BigRedRod

Well, your lyrics are bottomless and that is good enough for me. I'll add it to the list.