Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > hedgeknight's Games > The Darnathian Prophecies

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 24th of March, 2010, 20:25
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Revolution: Prologue

Revolution – Prologue: Piss and Promises

Boom…boom…boom…
Drums echo through the caverns, shaking the foundations of the halls, the peoples, the denizens of the Underdark. Voices rise in alarm…or is it terror…or is it rage? Blood spatters the walls, runs down stone, drips from a still beating heart offered in…sacrifice. Steel flickers in torch light and bonfires where wild beasts dance in a trance of drugs and power. Teeth gnash and bodies crash together to break and die in a hole deep in the bowels of the earth. And still, the drums echo through the caverns…boom…boom…BOOM!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dreys sits upright in his bed, the drums echoing in his brain, the taste of blood in his mouth. “Must’ve bit me damn tongue!” he mutters and then flinches as someone pounds on the door to his room. He winces at the pain behind his eyes, remembering all of the beer the night before and the visions of war and…
“Open the door – it’s me, Shelly.”
Shelly…yes, that was her name.
Dreys slides out of bed and realizes he is naked. “Damn girl,” he growls, grabbing a thick blanket off the bed and opening the door a crack. Shelly holds a bucket of steaming water and a clean wash cloth. “Thought you might need something to wake you up this morning,” she says, smiling. Dreys grunts and opens the door allowing Shelly into the room. “We can bathe together…if you like.” She begins to unlace her blouse, looking up at him with big brown eyes. But he can’t think about it right now because he needs to piss really bad.
Blushing furiously, he grabs his breeches and excuses himself to the privy, hoping to god he don’t run into Mirko or anyone else from the Frog half-dressed and hungover.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mirko jerks awake and swings wildly at nothing, blinking furiously, his heart pounding so loud he can hear nothing else. Shanna murmurs something beside him and rolls over, exposing her bare back and buttocks to the room. Realizing he is no longer dreaming, he pats her butt and yawns…and then flinches as someone pounds on the door to his room.
“Shanna? You in there?” comes a screeching voice through the door. “If you are, haul your ass out of bed and get moving! Diven is in a bad mood today and the Platter is already full of hungry folk. He said if you weren’t at work in ten minutes then he would throw all of your shit out in the street!”
“Dammit all to hell,” Shanna growls, jumping out of bed, searching frantically around for her clothes. Mirko watches her for a few seconds, leering at her nakedness, and then helps her find her things. She dresses, slapping his groping hands away, and then grinning at him. She kisses his quickly, much too quickly, and with a promise, “I’ll see you tonight,” she’s out the door and gone.
Needing to piss, Mirko stumbles around to find his breeches and then out the door toward the privy…and nearly runs over Dreys who is hurrying toward the same place.
“Watch it, ye big bear!” Dreys roars, nearly dropping his breeches. “Me bladder’s about to bust and me got here first!”
“The hell you did!” Mirko argues…and shoves past his dwarven friend, reaching for the privy door.
“Oh no ye don’t!” Dreys says…and kicks his barbarian friend in the back of the knee. Mirko howls as he knee buckles and he slams into the privy door with his face and chest. The force opens the privy door and Dreys steps on the back of the barbarian and into the privy, slamming the door and bolting it before Mirko can keep it from closing.
“You fuckin’ prick!” Mirko roars, slamming the door with his fist, then staggers to his feet, barely keeping his breeches up. Inside the privy he can hear Dreys laughing and pissing at the same time.

At breakfast, the two companions eat like horses, the antics of the early morning already behind them. Borth eats with them, promising to help them sell off or trade in much of the stuff they brought back with them from their battle with the hags.
“So…where we going first?” Mirko asks while slathering apple butter on a hot biscuit.
Borth swallows a mouthful of eggs and replies, “I figure we head to the northern end of town to Foehammer’s Forge – have Goldhand look at your armor and weapons; maybe compare with Uldinath’s Arms across the street. Between Goldhand and Uldinath you should be able to get an idea of what you got and how much it’s worth.”
“Then what are we gonna do with ‘em?” Dreys asks as Shelly pours him another cup of hot spiced cider. She winks at him and he blushes, and she walks away giggling.
Mirko watches her walk away, admiring the way she sways, and then looks back at Dreys…who is still watching, and chuckles.
“I figure Lord Frindos (the current ruler of Triboar) may give decent coin for the weapons and such for the local militia, but not probably what they are worth. Still it’s hard coin and better than you’re like to get anywhere in town. You can always look to do some trading at the Cart and Coin but…” he shrugs and eats the last of his eggs and doesn’t finish his sentence.
Mirko looks at Dreys and the dwarf sucks his teeth and says, “They got any potions in town, ye think? Maybe at this Cart and Coin place?”
“Maybe,” Borth says. “They buy and sell and trade all kinds of things over there…so I’m told. While you are at Goldhand’s, I’ll venture down there and sniff around for you.”

With a plan in place, the three leave the Frost-Touched Frog, stepping out into the cold, damp air left over from an early morning rain. “Feels like it might snow again tonight,” Borth grumbles, hitching up his coat around his neck. “When are you two planning on leaving?”
“Soon as we can,” Dreys replies, watching a stable lad bring a pony and cart around from the back of the inn. In the back of the cart is all of the stuff he and Mirko were about to haul from the foot of Mount Hotenow; they left the dead laying where they fell…for the crows.
“I told Grayhm to gather his kinfolk, that I would meet up with him after spring thaw,” Mirko mumbles as he pays the boy and leads the pony up the muddy road.
“Got business…in the Underdark, eh, brother?” Borth asks quietly, glancing across the street at The Triboar Arms, a middle-of-the-road tavern, where outside on the porch three men stand huddled together watching the traffic on the road.
Mirko follows his brother’s eyes and see the three men step off the porch and come walking toward them.
“Wonder what these cheese dicks want?” Dreys growls, feeling the weight of the Burning Blade on his back.
The three men walk up alongside the pony and cart and it is easy to see that they appear rough and rugged. They wear well-worn clothes and are unshaven and unkempt. One of the men wears a ragged hat and smiles slightly, revealing three gold teeth.
“Morning fellers,” he says, his voice clear and smooth. “We hear you have some goods to sell,” he continues, his eyes straying toward the contents of the cart. “Our boss sent us to meet you to see if we could work out a deal. What say we find somewhere to talk? Somewhere more private like than the open street? ‘Sides, I think it’s about to rain again.”
And so it does begin to sprinkle rain and from the look of the clouds, it might soon begin to pour any minute.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>
__________________

  #2  
Unread 24th of March, 2010, 20:31
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Prologue 2

Revolution – Prologue 2: Bounty

Dreys looks at Mirko then back to the men. "Who be yer boss? We don't know ye and don't feel good letting ya look at our stuff. If’n you don't mind, please stand aside so we can get our stuff out of the rain."
"Ilrin Sharadin is our boss," replies the man with the golden teeth. "He sent us to invite you to talk with him about selling your goods. Would like to have a look see at what you got."
Borth grunts and says, "Tell Ilrin that he needs to stick with his regular suppliers and leave my friends alone. Tell him I said so."
The man's face reddens in anger and for a second it appears he might do something rash, but one of the other fellows grabs him on the arm and pulls him back a step. The man shakes loose from his companion, gives Borth another scathing look, and begins to walk away. "I'll tell him what you said, Borth. You can bet I'll tell him."

After the three men walk away, the sprinkling rain becomes heavier and Mirko begins to walk faster turning the street corner and heading toward the northern end of town.
"What was that all about?" he asks over his shoulder.
"Trouble is what." Borth replies, glancing back behind him. "We need to hurry 'cause Ilrin ain't gonna take kindly to what I said about him."
Within a few more minutes, the rain is coming down pretty hard and a peal of thunder rattles the clouds above. Thankfully, the sounds of a hammer ringing on steel are beginning to grow louder and through the downpour you can see Foehammer's Forge just up ahead on the left.
As you pull the pony and cart under a overhanging shed, a grizzled old dwarf comes waddling out of the forge, wearing a leather apron and holding a pair of tongs.
"Top of the morning, Borth! Damn fine weather, ain't it?"
"How's it hanging, Goldhand?" Borth replies. "Got some goods for you to appraise. This here's my brother, Mirko, and this is Dreys."
Goldhand gives each of you a nod and says, "What did you boys bring me? I need to take a gander afore Uldinath smells it and comes running over! Har!"

“Well Goldhand, take a look then and give yer best offer,” Mirko growls, sniffing the air and looking back to the street. He gives a nod to Broth indicating he should take it from there and steps back to have a better look to the street.
“That golden tooth and his crew better steer clear - I ain’t in no mood to suffer fools or waste time fucking 'round.”

Goldhand snorts and glances at Borth. “Somebody piss in yer brother’s eggs this morning?”
Borth shakes his head and murmurs, “Some of Ilrin’s goons tried to get us to sell to them just a minute ago. Mirko knows bad blood when he smells it.”
While Mirko watches the street and the rain begins to pour, Goldhand gives a quick appraisal of the gear. He grunts and murmurs to himself as he handles each weapon or piece of armor, ignoring any clothing or non-metal item. The only item he really spends any time with is the Mithril breastplate. You can see the appreciation in his eyes as he examines the finely crafted piece.
He sets it aside from the rest and says, “Well, ye got yerself a good haul here, boys. Most of it is just standard equipment and will prolly fetch a third coin of what it’s worth. Frindos will prolly buy most of it for the militia. That trident…is magical or I’m a two-peckered goat! Ain’t nobody in town gonna be able to give you what it’s worth. But this here,” he pats the Mithril breastplate, “is some damn fine work. I’ll give ye 500 gold fer it right now – that’s about half of its worth, but all I can afford. What say ye?”

While you are deciding on that, a tall, bulky fellow comes running across the road, squinting as the rain pounds off his balding head. Goldhand groans when he sees the man coming, but the man doesn’t notice…his eyes are on the contents of the cart. “Morning to you, Goldhand!” he booms, nearly as loud as the thunder. “Borth,” he adds with a nod, ignoring Mirko and Dreys. “Whatcha got here, Borth? Goldhand don’t know the value of good armor like I do.”
“Here we go,” Goldhand sighs, rolling his eyes and spitting in the mud.
“Good morning, Uldinath,” Borth says warmly, shaking the big man’s meaty hand. “My brother and friend brought these in for sale or trade; just wanted to get an appraisal. We were coming over to your place next.”
Uldinath grunts and begins inspecting the goods, ignoring the clothing and any non-metal item like Goldhand did. After a few minutes, he says, “Well, looks like the best item you have is that trident, but I couldn’t say exactly what it’s worth – I’d say you could buy a respectable business with it.”
He eyes the Mithril breastplate that Goldhand is resting his elbow on, frowns and says, “Most of this stuff is common fare, nothing too exceptional. Might get some decent coin from the militia. What did Goldhand offer you for that breastplate? I’ll beat his offer by 100 gold.”
“Shut yer hole!” Goldhand says, face reddening with anger. “I got the first offer and by rights it goes to me if they want to sell.”
“I know what first rights are!” Uldinath roars back. “I just want to pay them fairly for their goods, not try and swindle them.”
“Why don’t ye go suck on yer mother’s tit…like I did last night!” Goldhand retorts hotly.
“Why you stumpy ol’ bastard!” Uldinath growls, leaning forward. “You take that back right now, or I’m gonna – “
“Yer gonna what? Go crying to mama?” Goldhand says, poking Uldinath in the chest.
Borth jumps in between the two men, yelling and shoving each one of them, trying to prevent an all out brawl.
Dreys steps back out of the way, grinning, and turns to look at Mirko…and the grin suddenly flees his face when he sees his friend draw steel and walk out into the street in the rain. “Oh, shit,” Dreys murmurs as he steps out to the edge of the shed and looks back the way they came.

Stomping down the street come a squad of devilish beasts. Standing six-foot tall and easily outweighing Mirko, the creatures bear huge barbed glaives. The rain beats off of them and sizzles when it touches their thorny hides. Their barbed tails swish back and forth and the lead creature bellows and points its glaive at Mirko when the barbarian steps out in the street.
“Time to collect the bounty, boys!” it roars as all six of the beasts bellow…and charge!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
__________________

  #3  
Unread 24th of March, 2010, 20:35
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Revolution - Prologue 3: Easy Pickings?

Out of the corner of his eye, Dreys sees Mirko stepping out. He looks down the road and sees the beasts coming forward. Dreys turns to the two arguing over their stuff and says, "If’n ye steal anything me will have your heads fer it. We be right back."
Dreys steps out into the rain as the beasts charge. When he is beside Mirko, he reaches on his back he retrieves the "Burning Blade". When he touches it begins to send strength and power through his bones and muscles. Dreys thinks he can hear the faint word, “Jundar.” It gets a bit louder with each passing second. Jundar….Jundar…JUNDAR!
Dreys looks at Mirko then back at the Blade. "Ye hear that?"
“Looks like we’re wanted men Dreys,” Mirko says, waiting for the blood to start running. “Well at least we’ll have a warm farewell from town…so let’s get it over with!”
As the beasts close quickly, Dreys looks deep into the Blade's essence, shuts his eyes, and says a quick prayer to Dumathoin. "Here we go again…we can't get anywhere without somebody trying to prove their worth."

Mirko answers the devils’ charge with a charge of his own and bull rushes the one heading the charge. He grabs his bastard sword in both hands and roars a deafening war cry – “WHO WANTS OUR HEADS!!”

The war cry cracks and shatters windows in the street but the bearded devils seem barely fazed by it. Three of the beasts immediately disappear…only to reappear directly behind Dreys! The other three meet Mirko head on.
Propelled by the speed of his boots, Mirko leaps into the air and brings Firespout down on the chest of one of the bearded devils, scoring a deep wound (Att.23 = D19). He pivots and swings again, but the devil blocks his flametongue with its hell-forged glaive.
His foe curses him in its infernal tongue as it rips upward with its glaive, slicing a deep wound on Mirko’s thigh (Att.24 = D9). Quickly, it brings the glaive around and down in a backhanded swing and slices Mirko in the shoulder! (Att.24 = D15)
The other two devils attempt to flank Mirko, attacking the barbarian together with their glaives, ripping through armor and flesh, digging to the bone! (Att.21 = D15; Att. 24 = D13; Att. 20 = D16; Att.20 = D16 – Holy Fucking Shit!!)

Power courses through Dreys at the three devils appear behind him to attack. He wheels around and smashes one of his foes in the face, knocking its head back, staggering the beast! (Att.18 = D11) He quickly swings again, but a second devil knocks the heavy mace aside…and all three of the devils attack!
Dreys ducks and dodges but still takes a trio of deep wounds. (Att.18 = miss; Att.23 = D9; Att.27 = D12; Att.10 = miss; Att.9 = miss; Att.30 = D10)

“Easy pickings, boys!” bellows the lead devil. "Let's finish this!"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>
Mirko
Initiative: +9
AC 19/ HP 119 – down 78 (DR 6)
Bastard Sword 2Handed- (FlameTongue)
To hit: +17/+12
Damage: 1d10+9, (+1d6 fire damage)
Crit: 19-20/x2+1d10
Relevant abilities: Warcry; Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bullrush,
Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Equipment: Boots of speed; Flametongue sword; Breastplate of Talos

Dreys
Initiative: +2; To hit: +14/+9
AC 19 (Magical Breast Plate +1 (+6), +2 Dex); flat-footed 16; touch 12
HP 82 – down 31
Dwarven Waraxe: +9 (+7 BAB +3 Str, +1 Feat); Damage: 1d10+4 bludgeoning; Critical: x3
Fortitude: +8 (4 Base Con +4); Reflex:::: +3 (1 Base Dex +2); Will:::::+1 (1 Base Wis 0)
+2 on saving throws vs spells/spell like abilities/poison
Feats: Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)(+1); Power Attack; Great Cleave (+4), Slight of hand, Survival, Improved Iron Will, Strike Back
Valkur's Boon: Boots of Balance - gives you Balance +7

Bearded Devils
BD 1 – down 19
BD 2
BD 3
BD 4 – down 11
BD 5
BD 6
__________________

  #4  
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 12:05
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Prologue 4

Revolution – Prologue 4: With a Little Help From My Friends

The rain beats down upon the barbarian, washing his blood into the muddy street. The pounding of his heart beating in his brain drowns out the downpour and the thunder…as the beast within awakens! BLUE BEAR!
Mirko throws back his head and roars, “I'll kill you allll…arrrRRGGHH!!”
And he begins to change…into a large bear with blue-tinged fur!
The bearded devils take a step back, but their military training quickly kicks back in and they move to attack.
Lightning suddenly engulfs the four warriors, blinding and painful for most, but Mirko feels none of it although it does make him blink furiously for a few seconds. When his vision clears, one of the bearded devils is no more than a pile of ash and a second is on its knees, trying to get its bearings.
Mirko roars and attacks the third, clawing the devil down the face (Att.21 = D14), then ripping its chest and stomach out, strewing its entrails across the street (Att.34 = Critical D32), and as it staggers, the great bear of Uthgar delivers the killing bite to its head, crushing it like a melon (Att.16 = D14).
Lunging to its feet, the remaining devil comes at the great bear with its claws, raking the bear across the belly (Att.23 = D6) but doing no further damage. The bear does feel weak, however, as its previous wounds continue to bleed profusely (D12).

The lightning storm affects the devils fighting Dreys as well, and the dwarf shields his face from the blinding bolts, crying out in surprise as one of the devils literally explodes in front of him!
While the other two are staggering from the electrical discharge, Dreys gathers his senses and summons the power of the Burning Blade. Suddenly a cone-shaped blast of grit and small rocks erupts from his outstretched hand, slamming into the two devils. One is knocked backward and blinded (D16; Ref save 9); the other manages to avoid most of the blast and suffers only minor wounds (D8; Ref save 23).
While one of the devils gropes around for his glaive, the third attacks Dreys with a frustrated roar, swinging wildly, and never touching the dwarf!
Behind the two foes, the blinded devil manages to find his weapon and gets to his feet, blinking furiously, rubbing his eyes. Suddenly, a white blur bowls into the devil with a savage roar, knocking it to the ground, ripping and tearing at its hide!

The great blue bear of Uthgar staggers from blood loss but does not stop attacking its foe. A massive claw tears into the devil’s chest (Att.31 = D16) and another claw takes one of its arms clean off! (Att.19 = D16) The devil shrieks in agony…and then the great bear grabs it by the throat and shakes it like a dog, ripping out its throat and casting its lifeless body aside! (Att.28 = D14)

“Time to end dis, devil!” Dreys growls, bringing the large ironstar mace up and over his head, crushing the devil’s skull with a mighty blow! (Att.29 = D17) Dreys laughs and then winces in pain as his wounds continue to bleed freely (D6).
As the devil falls lifeless to the mud and its body begins to dissolve and return to the hell that spawned it, Dreys turns to see how Mirko is doing and finds his friend in bear form, standing over two smoldering devils too.
“What took ye so long?” he chides, chuckling and turning back to his own fallen foes…and his chuckle dies in his throat when he sees the “white blur” is actually a very large white tiger!
“Damn me eyes!” Dreys swears as the bloodied tiger turns toward him with a snarl, takes two steps toward the dwarf…and then lies down and begins to wash the black devil’s blood from its paws.

"We couldn’t let you boys have all the fun,” comes a woman’s voice, clear and musical. Both Dreys and the great bear turn toward the buildings and coming out of a side street is a familiar, yet somewhat unfamiliar face.
“Damn me eyes twice! Amra? Is it ye, girl?” Dreys asks. “Me thought ye were…”
“Dead? Well, so did I,” Amra says walking up to the great bear and rubbing its shaggy ears. “The Oak Father and the Lady of the Forest have other plans for me and Samson. Our job on this plane is not yet finished. But…that’s a long story and your wounds will not heal without proper attention. Let’s get inside out of this rain and I’ll work on you while you buy me something strong and hot to drink. How’s that sound to you?”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>

Mirko
Initiative: +9
AC 19/ HP 119 – down 96 (DR 7)
Bastard Sword 2Handed- (FlameTongue)
To hit: +17/+12
Damage: 1d10+9, (+1d6 fire damage)
Crit: 19-20/x2+1d10
Bear Form2claws (+18, 1d4+9/x2); bite (+18, 1d6+5)
Relevant abilities: Warcry; Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bullrush,
Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Equipment: Boots of speed; Flametongue sword; Breastplate of Talos

Dreys
Initiative: +2; To hit: +14/+9
AC 19 (Magical Breast Plate +1 (+6), +2 Dex); flat-footed 16; touch 12
HP 82 – down 37
Dwarven Waraxe: +9 (+7 BAB +3 Str, +1 Feat); Damage: 1d10+4 bludgeoning; Critical: x3
Fortitude: +8 (4 Base Con +4); Reflex:::: +3 (1 Base Dex +2); Will:::::+1 (1 Base Wis 0)
+2 on saving throws vs spells/spell like abilities/poison
Feats: Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)(+1); Power Attack; Great Cleave (+4), Slight of hand, Survival, Improved Iron Will, Strike Back
Valkur's Boon: Boots of Balance - gives you Balance +7

Bearded Devils
BD 1 – dead
BD 2 – dead
BD 3 – dead
BD 4 – dead
BD 5 – dead
BD 6 – dead
__________________


Last edited by hedgeknight; 14th of April, 2010 at 12:33.
  #5  
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 12:08
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Prologue 5

Revolution – Prologue 5: Old Friends, New…Friends?

Dreys smiles and says, “Be right there in a minute,” as he walks over toward Goldhand’s forge where he, Uldinath, and Borth stand gawking at him. He tucks the Burning Blade back in its place and says, "So...which one of ye want to do business with me and me friend?"
Goldhand says nothing but continues to stare at him in awe and disbelief. Uldinath licks his lips and tries to make his mouth work, but nothing but a few squeaks come out. Borth chuckles and says, “I’ll make sure you get a fair price from both of ‘em, my friend.”
Goldhand finally finds his voice and says, “Ye have my word on it…son of Jundar.” And the dwarven smith bows low at the waist. Dreys blushes with embarrassment and winces as his wounds continue to bleed (D6).

Meanwhile the great bear shuffles around the battle scene and begins to lick his wounds (H16). After some of them start to heal, the bear shimmers and reverts back to human form. As the rain washes the blood from Mirko’s face, his eyes brighten and he recognizes Amra. He smiles but it quickly fades as his mind returns to the threats of battle and the risk their presence has brought to this small town. He winces in pain as the wounds continue to bleed (D12)and Amra helps him walk over to where his brother and Dreys are talking with the smiths.

"Looks like we have a few more fares for sale," he says nodding to the
devils’ weapons and equipment laying on the street…which suddenly began to dissipate and turn to smoke, reeking of sulfur.
“Er…never mind. Just get a fair price for our other stuff; we'll want to head out of town soon. See you inside."

Amra hurries the barbarian inside the nearest building…which is a large building called the Blue Dragon Inn. The place is not busy at all and Mirko is fading fast (D12) so Amra wastes no time invoking the healing power of Sylvanus and curing his bleeding wounds (H28). The wounds stop bleeding almost immediately and Mirko gives a deep sigh and collapses in a booth near one of the big front windows. “You would have died in the street had I not come along!” Amra hisses turning to Dreys. The dwarf staggers and sits down heavily in a chair opposite the booth, his skin the color of old milk (D6).
“You too, eh?” Amra growls, shaking her head as she lays healing hands on Dreys and restores some of his normal complexion (H21).
“Thank ye kindly, darlin’” Dreys says, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, his eyes closed. “What were them creatures anyway?”

“Barbazu – an entire squad of them.”
“Eh? What kind of creature…?”
“Bearded devils from the pits of hell,” Amra replies, pushing a wineskin in Mirko’s hands and ordering him to drink first and then Dreys.
Mirko doesn’t argue but the contents of the skin burn like fire in his throat and all the way down into his gullet. He coughs and gags a bit, then passes it to Dreys.
Dreys sputters as the fiery liquid flows down his throat and his eyes water so much he can’t see a thing. But he smiles at the feeling he gets from it.
“This stuff will put hair on yer…”
“And will keep you from getting infected with some hellish rot!” Amra quips, taking the skin from his hands. “Never know that fiends are carrying on their flesh.”
When Mirko can talk without gasping, he asks, “Who would send devils from hell after us? Who did we piss off that bad?”
Amra takes a deep breath, orders a mug of hot cider for all of you, and while she talks she works on your wounds, breathing prayers of healing between sentences.
“For decades, the Northern Underdark (or Northdark) has been a place of festering evil…at best! There are some pockets of good-aligned beings but those are few and far between. And from my brief time in…limbo…I was made aware of a threat to the surface world…a threat from the lower depths of the Northdark. Far below the city of Waterdeep, several miles below the surface, lies what once was the most powerful Illithid metropolis in all of Faerun. Ch’chitl is a city ruled exclusively by powerful undead mind flayers known as the Concord of Elders. Illithid cities are normally ruled by a single elder brain, but about 100 years ago, the elder brain of Ch’chitl died, so the elders decided to seek lichdom so they could increase their powers and split the powers of the elder brain between them. Each elder became an illithilich – an extremely powerful undead mind flayer. Each has absorbed the memories of thousands of Illithids among them, but there is no unified rule – the illithiliches jealously guard their individual memories and plot and scheme against one another.
“But one thing they are united on is raiding, and they are not satisfied with the Underdark and the trade routes from Skullport – they seek to establish raiding forays onto the surface.”
“So they want to raid the surface,” Mirko says, poking the healed skin around his chest. “Why should we care?”

An intelligent question from someone who, from appearances, may seem to have no brains at all.
The “voice” comes from a hooded figure which appears somewhat suddenly at Amra’s shoulder. The figure pulls a chair toward the companions’ booth and sits down. The figure is dressed in deep blue velvet robes, somewhat dirty and stained, but able to conceal its features…until it sits down and looks up at you. Amra gasps aloud and Samson hisses a warning, crouching to leap. Dreys nearly chokes on his ale and Mirko feels the blood start to pound in his brain.
Forgive me, but it seems I have that affect on surface folk, comes the voice of the mind flayer. The words of the creature float around in your minds for a few seconds before Mirko says, “You have about two seconds to explain yourself or you’re dead meat!”
I assure you, two seconds will not be enough, but I will be glad to explain myself. I am Shaun Taunador, a merchant from Skullport and a servant for one of the elders of the city of Ch’Chitl. My master sent me to find you.
“What the hell does your master want with us?” Dreys asks, his hand on the haft of the Burning Blade lying beside him.
“And why should I give a flying rat’s ass?” Mirko says, looking the mind flayer up and down for signs of visible weapons.

In the city of Ch’Chitl, we have a large number of…thralls, servants of the elders. The majority of those thralls are deep bears, quaggoth in your language. My master told me of a large group recently captured by a raiding party near the Dark Lake. He said that group may hold a particular interest to you, Mirko of Uthgar. He said the deep bears kept chanting ‘Bah’rym Quah!’ over and over while they fought, and during their march through the Northdark.

Mirko’s blood stops pounding and in fact, perhaps his heart stops beating for a few seconds. He made a promise to Grayhm and his people for deliverance. He was supposed to meet the deep bears very soon and lead them to war…but how can he help them now?
The mind flayer nods, its tentacles writhing and twitching as its voice again comes into the minds of the companions.
So these quaggoth do mean something to you. That is good.

“What the fuck do you want?” Mirko hisses, barely able to think.

My master wants your help…in destroying the city of Ch’Chitl.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>

Mirko
Initiative: +9
AC 19/ HP 119 – down 40 (but no longer bleeding)
Bastard Sword 2Handed- (FlameTongue)
To hit: +17/+12
Damage: 1d10+9, (+1d6 fire damage)
Crit: 19-20/x2+1d10
Bear Form2claws (+18, 1d4+9/x2); bite (+18, 1d6+5)
Relevant abilities: Warcry; Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bullrush,
Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Equipment: Boots of speed; Flametongue sword; Breastplate of Talos

Dreys
Initiative: +2; To hit: +14/+9
AC 19 (Magical Breast Plate +1 (+6), +2 Dex); flat-footed 16; touch 12
HP 82 – down 12 (but no longer bleeding)
Dwarven Waraxe: +9 (+7 BAB +3 Str, +1 Feat); Damage: 1d10+4 bludgeoning; Critical: x3
Fortitude: +8 (4 Base Con +4); Reflex:::: +3 (1 Base Dex +2); Will:::::+1 (1 Base Wis 0)
+2 on saving throws vs spells/spell like abilities/poison
Feats: Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)(+1); Power Attack; Great Cleave (+4), Slight of hand, Survival, Improved Iron Will, Strike Back
Valkur's Boon: Boots of Balance - gives you Balance +7

Bearded devil xp – 3200 each
__________________


Last edited by hedgeknight; 14th of April, 2010 at 12:31.
  #6  
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 12:36
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Prologue 6

Revolution – Prologue 6: Hands Off!

In the city of Ch’Chitl, we have a large number of…thralls, servants of the elders. The majority of those thralls are deep bears, quaggoth in your language. My master told me of a large group recently captured by a raiding party near the Dark Lake. He said that group may hold a particular interest to you, Mirko of Uthgar. He said the deep bears kept chanting ‘Bah’rym Quah!’ over and over while they fought, and during their march through the Northdark.

Mirko’s blood stops pounding and in fact, perhaps his heart stops beating for a few seconds. He made a promise to Grayhm and his people for deliverance. He was supposed to meet the deep bears very soon and lead them to war…but how can he help them now?
The mind flayer nods, its tentacles writhing and twitching as its voice again comes into the minds of the companions.
So these quaggoth do mean something to you. That is good.

“What the fuck do you want?” Mirko hisses, barely able to think.

My master wants your help…in destroying the city of Ch’Chitl.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>

“WHERE ARE THEY!?”
Mirko roars, barely able to contain his anger and frustration. The initial shock of the news has subsided and the barbarian is about to break out into a fit of rage. He storms to his feet, causing Dreys to choke on his ale, grabs the tentacles of the mind flayer and attempts to throw Shaun Taunador toward the door.
“You’ll take me to them…NOW!
“Me with ye, Mirko!” Dreys says. “We be the ones that save your kind.”

Then suddenly, Mirko and Dreys feel a blinding burst of pain in their minds as a sonic cone of power blasts their brains, sending them reeling and falling to the floor! (Mind Blast DC 19 – Mirko (“6” = fail); Dreys (“7” = fail); both stunned for 3 rounds)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>

When Mirko and Dreys regain their senses, they see Shaun Taunador standing several feet from them, holding a thin metal rod in one hand and petting the white tiger Samson with the other. Amra stands off to the side, wringing her hands anxiously, looking back and forth between the mind flayer and her two stunned companions.
Touch me again and I will slay you both and find another way to serve my master.
The mind flayer’s voice filters through your minds…and it waits for your response.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>

As do I…

Mirko
Initiative: +9
AC 19/ HP 119 – down 40 (but no longer bleeding)
Bastard Sword 2Handed- (FlameTongue)
To hit: +17/+12
Damage: 1d10+9, (+1d6 fire damage)
Crit: 19-20/x2+1d10
Bear Form2claws (+18, 1d4+9/x2); bite (+18, 1d6+5)
Relevant abilities: Warcry; Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bullrush,
Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Equipment: Boots of speed; Flametongue sword; Breastplate of Talos

Dreys
Initiative: +2; To hit: +14/+9
AC 19 (Magical Breast Plate +1 (+6), +2 Dex); flat-footed 16; touch 12
HP 82 – down 12 (but no longer bleeding)
Dwarven Waraxe: +9 (+7 BAB +3 Str, +1 Feat); Damage: 1d10+4 bludgeoning; Critical: x3
Fortitude: +8 (4 Base Con +4); Reflex:::: +3 (1 Base Dex +2); Will:::::+1 (1 Base Wis 0)
+2 on saving throws vs spells/spell like abilities/poison
Feats: Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)(+1); Power Attack; Great Cleave (+4), Slight of hand, Survival, Improved Iron Will, Strike Back
Valkur's Boon: Boots of Balance - gives you Balance +7

Bearded devil xp – 3200 each
__________________

  #7  
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 12:42
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Prologue 7

Revolution – Prologue 7: Explanations

When Mirko and Dreys regain their senses, they see Shaun Taunador standing several feet from them, holding a thin metal rod in one hand and petting the white tiger Samson with the other. Amra stands off to the side, wringing her hands anxiously, looking back and forth between the mind flayer and her two stunned companions.
Touch me again and I will slay you both and find another way to serve my master.
The mind flayer’s voice filters through your minds…and it waits for your response.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>

Mirko measures the situation, staring at Shaun Taunador with a murderous look in his eyes. “If you can kill me…DO IT! ‘Cause I will not abide who enslaved my people. If you can kill me…DO IT! ‘Cause if you can’t, you’ll die right here! I’ll kill you and every one who’s caused my people to suffer.”

You misunderstand...barbarian. It was not I who enslaved the deep bears, nor my master. But others of the Elders who specialize in obtaining thralls.
The words filter through your brains and you wonder...could this evil creature be telling the truth?
I was sent to find you. The barbazu were a test...which you handled quite well, even if you did have some assistance.
The mind flayer turns slightly toward Amra, its tentacles writhing slowly in the air.
Perhaps the female will accompany you? I hope so. But you will need more assistance for the task my master has planned. But for now...I need to know if you plan on attempting to kill me...or can we work together? I assure you the end result will benefit us all.

“Keep talking,” Mirko growls.

Dreys rings his ears out with his fingers, composes himself, and looks at Mirko while at the same time grasping hard for the Burning Blade.
"Me with me friend. Ye do that again, ye better kill us. If'n ye not here to fight then why the hell you blast us? Explain yerself!"
Dreys stands at Mirko’s hip, waiting for something to happen next.

The mind flayer nods, shuffles back to the booth (with Samson at his side), and sits back down. His tentacles writhe slowly and he turns toward the bar where the slack-jawed barkeep has not moved an inch, but continues to stare at the strange happenings in his place.
Chilled wine would be nice; something golden and sweet.
The barkeep flinches and then begins to move, hastening to fulfill the mind flayer’s request.

My master says the best place to begin…is at the beginning. Ah, you are most gracious, Shaun Taunador purrs as a terrified barmaid brings a goblet of wine to him. You can see she is straining with effort not to spill a drop for fear of what might happen to her.
A tentacle slips into the goblet and then into the mind flayer’s mouth, sucking greedily at the wine. I have a weakness for surface wine. Something I shall blame on a friend…one whom you will meet soon. Now, where was I? Oh yes, the beginning…

While another band of thunderstorms slowly passes over the town, Shaun Taunador tells you in detail how he came to be sitting in a bar in Triboar trying to convince you to help his master destroy their home city of Ch’Chitl.
(See attached file entitled Ch’Chitl)

Our guide through the Underdark…is stationed here in Triboar. He has been here for many years and is an expert in the ways of the people here as well as those with whom he trades. He is in disguise, of course, but you will meet him soon enough. His name is Ilserv, but here he is known as Ilrin Sharadin, a renowned guide in this region. He will lead us from here, through the Northdark, and finally to the city of Ch’Chitl.
The mind flayer’s tentacles suck up the last of the wine and he shudders with pleasure. So…here is your chance to liberate your people, Mirko of Uthgar. And you, Dreys of Clan Stoneshaft, Jundar Swordbreaker reborn, you have the opportunity to fulfill your destiny and lead your people to war against those who have oppressed them for ages. And in so doing, you aid my master in destroying the power of the Elders of Ch’Chitl. Revolution, my friends! Tell me, is this something you are ready to do?

Just then, the front door opens, and Borth comes stomping in, shaking the rain from his hair and holding two large sacks of coins, plus another bulging sack. He slams the sacks down on the ground. And then his jaw drops open when he sees Shaun Taunador…and for several seconds he cannot move. Finally, he composes himself, and says, “So…what did I miss?”


Mirko
Initiative: +9
AC 19/ HP 119 – down 40 (but no longer bleeding)
Bastard Sword 2Handed- (FlameTongue)
To hit: +17/+12
Damage: 1d10+9, (+1d6 fire damage)
Crit: 19-20/x2+1d10
Bear Form2claws (+18, 1d4+9/x2); bite (+18, 1d6+5)
Relevant abilities: Warcry; Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bullrush,
Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Equipment: Boots of speed; Flametongue sword; Breastplate of Talos

Dreys
Initiative: +2; To hit: +14/+9
AC 19 (Magical Breast Plate +1 (+6), +2 Dex); flat-footed 16; touch 12
HP 82 – down 12 (but no longer bleeding)
Dwarven Waraxe: +9 (+7 BAB +3 Str, +1 Feat); Damage: 1d10+4 bludgeoning; Critical: x3
Fortitude: +8 (4 Base Con +4); Reflex:::: +3 (1 Base Dex +2); Will:::::+1 (1 Base Wis 0)
+2 on saving throws vs spells/spell like abilities/poison
Feats: Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)(+1); Power Attack; Great Cleave (+4), Slight of hand, Survival, Improved Iron Will, Strike Back
Valkur's Boon: Boots of Balance - gives you Balance +7

Bearded devil xp – 3200 each
__________________

  #8  
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 12:45
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Prologue 8

Revolution – Prologue 8: A Sign of Trust

Our guide through the Underdark…is stationed here in Triboar. He has been here for many years and is an expert in the ways of the people here as well as those with whom he trades. He is in disguise, of course, but you will meet him soon enough. His name is Ilserv, but here he is known as Ilrin Sharadin, a renowned guide in this region. He will lead us from here, through the Northdark, and finally to the city of Ch’Chitl.
The mind flayer’s tentacles suck up the last of the wine and he shudders with pleasure. So…here is your chance to liberate your people, Mirko of Uthgar. And you, Dreys of Clan Stoneshaft, Jundar Swordbreaker reborn, you have the opportunity to fulfill your destiny and lead your people to war against those who have oppressed them for ages. And in so doing, you aid my master in destroying the power of the Elders of Ch’Chitl. Revolution, my friends! Tell me, is this something you are ready to do?

Just then, the front door opens, and Borth comes stomping in, shaking the rain from his hair and holding two large sacks of coins, plus another bulging sack. He slams the sacks down on the ground. And then his jaw drops open when he sees Shaun Taunador…and for several seconds he cannot move. Finally, he composes himself, and says, “So…what did I miss?”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>

After looking at Mirko who nods at Borth without taking his eyes off of the mind flayer, Dreys turns to Borth. "Ye missed tentacle boy here,” Dreys looks at Shaun Taunador, “no offense, throwin’ us around and askin’ us fer our help to overthrow his kind. Oh, he likes wine too. What ya bring fer us?"
“Payment for your stuff,” Borth murmurs, looking back and forth from Dreys to Mirko to Amra to the mind flayer. His hands twitch as if he is not sure what to do. “You got some good coin for most of your goods; Lord Frindos will buy the rest most likely. I sent the common weapons and armor over to his keep.”
Dreys nods, keeping the Burning Blade close at hand and then turns to Mirko.
“So, ye up fer a fight?”

“I’m up for a fight alright,” Mirko growls. “It’s clear why we’d be in this but not what papa squid gets out of it. We’d need him if we were going to level the city but maybe we don’t need to go on an all out war to free the bears. He thinks we can rattle up the bears and go on a rampage on the city while he’s up to his own plans; maybe comes down on us after we deal with his enemies, saving the city and being the hero. Or maybe it’s like Shaun tells it and papa squid’s a fucking insurgent. Don’t give us this shit, Shaun, what’s in it fer yer boss?”

The mind flayer’s tentacles writhe slowly as it walks back toward you and sits down opposite Amra; Samson, the white tiger, lays down at its feet, seemingly unconcerned about its presence. And then Shaun’s voice fills your minds again.
“I have already conveyed my master’s desires to you. He wishes to bring down the corrupt Council and rule alone. I know not how to convince you of the truth of my intentions and the plans of my master. I risk much by just coming to you like this. If my presence here is detected – the Council of Elders has many spies – then my master will be destroyed and my life is forfeit. But…perhaps there is a way to gain your trust.”
Shaun reaches inside his robes and gently removes what looks like some sort of crystal on a chain from around his neck. When looked at closely, it is a small globe filled with mucous. Shaun holds it out to you and you can barely see a tiny bud about the size of a walnut floating in the mucous.
“This is my brainmate. In the colony, we feel the gentle hum of the elder brain constantly – or as in the case of Ch’Chitl, the presence of the elders. It is very comforting to those of us who travel outside the city, outside the presence of our elder brain. It is a means of staying attached to our home.”
His clawed hands shake and for the first time, you can sense some type of emotion from the mind flayer, although it is almost instantly squelched.
“While on our journey, I offer my brainmate to you to carry. I…I just ask that you care for it, protect it, as you would something you highly value of your own person.”
He hands the crystal globe to Mirko and then sits back in the chair, hands locked firmly in his lap, tentacles twitching and writhing.
“Now…do you trust me, Mirko Blue Bear, Child of Uthgar?”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>

Mirko
Initiative: +9
AC 19/ HP 119 – down 40 (but no longer bleeding)
Bastard Sword 2Handed- (FlameTongue)
To hit: +17/+12
Damage: 1d10+9, (+1d6 fire damage)
Crit: 19-20/x2+1d10
Bear Form2claws (+18, 1d4+9/x2); bite (+18, 1d6+5)
Relevant abilities: Warcry; Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bullrush,
Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Equipment: Boots of speed; Flametongue sword; Breastplate of Talos

Dreys
Initiative: +2; To hit: +14/+9
AC 19 (Magical Breast Plate +1 (+6), +2 Dex); flat-footed 16; touch 12
HP 82 – down 12 (but no longer bleeding)
Dwarven Waraxe: +9 (+7 BAB +3 Str, +1 Feat); Damage: 1d10+4 bludgeoning; Critical: x3
Fortitude: +8 (4 Base Con +4); Reflex:::: +3 (1 Base Dex +2); Will:::::+1 (1 Base Wis 0)
+2 on saving throws vs spells/spell like abilities/poison
Feats: Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)(+1); Power Attack; Great Cleave (+4), Slight of hand, Survival, Improved Iron Will, Strike Back
Valkur's Boon: Boots of Balance - gives you Balance +7

Bearded devil xp – 3200 each
__________________

  #9  
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 12:48
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Prologue 9

Revolution – Prologue 9: Hysterics

“While on our journey, I offer my brainmate to you to carry. I…I just ask that you care for it, protect it, as you would something you highly value of your own person.”
He hands the crystal globe to Mirko and then sits back in the chair, hands locked firmly in his lap, tentacles twitching and writhing.
“Now…do you trust me, Mirko Blue Bear, Child of Uthgar?”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>

Mirko looks at the globe and stays quiet for a few moments; taking his eyes off Shaun for the first time, he seems to be weighing the situation. He looks at Samson at the feet of the mind flayer then returns his eyes to Shaun.
"Trust is not something that can be bargained or forced upon (the last
implies the way Samson is behaving). Those responsible for my people’s
enslavement will pay for their actions; whether they are enemies or friends
of your master does not concern me."
Putting the globe back on the table and pushing it towards Shaun (with care), he continues. "I appreciate the risk and sacrifice this represents; I will travel with you and fight to liberate my people."
Dreys listens to Mirko and agrees. "If’n you take on this task, me be with ye me friend. We seen plenty in our time together, and me plans not to stop now." Dreys gives Mirko a slap on the back. “Let’s get yer kind out of harms way."
Amra stands up and puts her hand on Mirko’s shoulder. “You know I am with you too. I have a debt to pay for my life and this is it.”

Shaun Taunador gently retrieves his brainmate and slips it back around his neck, tucking it gently into the folds of his voluminous robes. He folds his clawed fingers together and mindspeaks to you.
“You have my gratitude, all of you. Together, we will make this happen. All of us…will get what we want.”

Dreys nods, downs a fresh mug of ale, stands and picks up the Burning Blade. He belches loudly and clasps Mirko on the shoulder. “Yer like me brother from another mother, me friend.”
Amra giggles and Borth snickers, but it is the comments of the mind flayer that push everyone over the edge.
“Are you saying the same human that sired the barbarian sired you as well? I don’t understand.”

Amra howls and falls on the floor, grabbing her stomach, laughing hysterically. Borth spits and slobbers, gasping for breath. And Mirko and Dreys just look at each other with confused expressions.
“Did we miss something?” Mirko asks. Which only sends Amra and Borth into new fits of hysterics.


Mirko
Initiative: +9
AC 19/ HP 119 – down 40 (but no longer bleeding)
Bastard Sword 2Handed- (FlameTongue)
To hit: +17/+12
Damage: 1d10+9, (+1d6 fire damage)
Crit: 19-20/x2+1d10
Bear Form2claws (+18, 1d4+9/x2); bite (+18, 1d6+5)
Relevant abilities: Warcry; Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bullrush,
Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
Equipment: Boots of speed; Flametongue sword; Breastplate of Talos

Dreys
Initiative: +2; To hit: +14/+9
AC 19 (Magical Breast Plate +1 (+6), +2 Dex); flat-footed 16; touch 12
HP 82 – down 12 (but no longer bleeding)
Dwarven Waraxe: +9 (+7 BAB +3 Str, +1 Feat); Damage: 1d10+4 bludgeoning; Critical: x3
Fortitude: +8 (4 Base Con +4); Reflex:::: +3 (1 Base Dex +2); Will:::::+1 (1 Base Wis 0)
+2 on saving throws vs spells/spell like abilities/poison
Feats: Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)(+1); Power Attack; Great Cleave (+4), Slight of hand, Survival, Improved Iron Will, Strike Back
Valkur's Boon: Boots of Balance - gives you Balance +7

Bearded devil xp – 3200 each
__________________

  #10  
Unread 14th of June, 2010, 21:40
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,835 (0.43 per day)
Prologue 10

Revolution – Prologue 10: Getting Ready to Depart

It has been three days since your battle with the bearded devils, your reunion with Amra (and Samson), and your meeting with Shaun Taunador. The weather has been terrible (torrential rain mixed with snow, flooding, lightning, and hail – just typical weather for this time of year in the North) and you have spent those three days healing, preparing for your journey, and selling and trading your goods. It is early April and all of you are at the Blue Dragon Inn (where Amra is staying), having supper and planning your trip. Borth is with you but the mind flayer is not; you haven’t seen him for the past three days. Here is a recap of what you know thus far:

From Prologue 1:
“So…where we going first?” Mirko asks while slathering apple butter on a hot biscuit.
Borth swallows a mouthful of eggs and replies, “I figure we head to the northern end of town to Foehammer’s Forge – have Goldhand look at your armor and weapons; maybe compare with Uldinath’s Arms across the street. Between Goldhand and Uldinath you should be able to get an idea of what you got and how much it’s worth.”
“Then what are we gonna do with ‘em?” Dreys asks as Shelly pours him another cup of hot spiced cider. She winks at him and he blushes, and she walks away giggling.
Mirko watches her walk away, admiring the way she sways, and then looks back at Dreys…who is still watching, and chuckles.
“I figure Lord Frindos (the current ruler of Triboar) may give decent coin for the weapons and such for the local militia, but not probably what they are worth. Still it’s hard coin and better than you’re like to get anywhere in town. You can always look to do some trading at the Cart and Coin but…” he shrugs and eats the last of his eggs and doesn’t finish his sentence.
Mirko looks at Dreys and the dwarf sucks his teeth and says, “They got any potions in town, ye think? Maybe at this Cart and Coin place?”
“Maybe,” Borth says. “They buy and sell and trade all kinds of things over there…so I’m told. While you are at Goldhand’s, I’ll venture down there and sniff around for you.”

From Prologue 5:
“For decades, the Northern Underdark (or Northdark) has been a place of festering evil…at best! There are some pockets of good-aligned beings but those are few and far between. And from my brief time in…limbo…I was made aware of a threat to the surface world…a threat from the lower depths of the Northdark. Far below the city of Waterdeep, several miles below the surface, lies what once was the most powerful Illithid metropolis in all of Faerun. Ch’chitl is a city ruled exclusively by powerful undead mind flayers known as the Concord of Elders. Illithid cities are normally ruled by a single elder brain, but about 100 years ago, the elder brain of Ch’chitl died, so the elders decided to seek lichdom so they could increase their powers and split the powers of the elder brain between them. Each elder became an illithilich – an extremely powerful undead mind flayer. Each has absorbed the memories of thousands of Illithids among them, but there is no unified rule – the illithiliches jealously guard their individual memories and plot and scheme against one another.
“But one thing they are united on is raiding, and they are not satisfied with the Underdark and the trade routes from Skullport – they seek to establish raiding forays onto the surface.”

I am Shaun Taunador, a merchant from Skullport and a servant for one of the elders of the city of Ch’Chitl. My master sent me to find you.
In the city of Ch’Chitl, we have a large number of…thralls, servants of the elders. The majority of those thralls are deep bears, quaggoth in your language. My master told me of a large group recently captured by a raiding party near the Dark Lake. He said that group may hold a particular interest to you, Mirko of Uthgar. He said the deep bears kept chanting ‘Bah’rym Quah!’ over and over while they fought, and during their march through the Northdark.
My master wants your help…in destroying the city of Ch’Chitl.


From Prologue 7:
While another band of thunderstorms slowly passes over the town, Shaun Taunador tells you in detail how he came to be sitting in a bar in Triboar trying to convince you to help his master destroy their home city of Ch’Chitl.
(See attached file entitled Ch’Chitl – do you still have this file?)

Our guide through the Underdark…is stationed here in Triboar. He has been here for many years and is an expert in the ways of the people here as well as those with whom he trades. He is in disguise, of course, but you will meet him soon enough. His name is Ilserv, but here he is known as Ilrin Sharadin, a renowned guide in this region. He will lead us from here, through the Northdark, and finally to the city of Ch’Chitl.
So…here is your chance to liberate your people, Mirko of Uthgar. And you, Dreys of Clan Stoneshaft, Jundar Swordbreaker reborn, you have the opportunity to fulfill your destiny and lead your people to war against those who have oppressed them for ages. And in so doing, you aid my master in destroying the power of the Elders of Ch’Chitl. Revolution, my friends! Tell me, is this something you are ready to do?


From Prologue 8:
“Payment for your stuff,” Borth murmurs, looking back and forth from Dreys to Mirko to Amra to the mind flayer. His hands twitch as if he is not sure what to do. “You got some good coin for most of your goods; Lord Frindos will buy the rest most likely. I sent the common weapons and armor over to his keep.”

“I have already conveyed my master’s desires to you. He wishes to bring down the corrupt Council and rule alone. I know not how to convince you of the truth of my intentions and the plans of my master. I risk much by just coming to you like this. If my presence here is detected – the Council of Elders has many spies – then my master will be destroyed and my life is forfeit. But…perhaps there is a way to gain your trust.”
Shaun reaches inside his robes and gently removes what looks like some sort of crystal on a chain from around his neck. When looked at closely, it is a small globe filled with mucous. Shaun holds it out to you and you can barely see a tiny bud about the size of a walnut floating in the mucous.
“This is my brainmate. In the colony, we feel the gentle hum of the elder brain constantly – or as in the case of Ch’Chitl, the presence of the elders. It is very comforting to those of us who travel outside the city, outside the presence of our elder brain. It is a means of staying attached to our home.”
His clawed hands shake and for the first time, you can sense some type of emotion from the mind flayer, although it is almost instantly squelched.
“While on our journey, I offer my brainmate to you to carry. I…I just ask that you care for it, protect it, as you would something you highly value of your own person.”
He hands the crystal globe to Mirko and then sits back in the chair, hands locked firmly in his lap, tentacles twitching and writhing.
“Now…do you trust me, Mirko Blue Bear, Child of Uthgar?”

Current group:
Mirko
Dreys
Amra and Samson
Shaun Taunador


From selling the goods, Borth brought you the following:
2500 gold (that’s all of the equipment, armor, weapons, etc)
There were only two things, he wouldn’t sell to Goldhand, Uldinath, or the Cart and Coin, or to the militia:
1/ Magnificent Captain’s Coat – Lord Frindos offered 1000 gold for it; do you accept or counter?
2/ Trident of Warning +1 – Lord Frindos offered another 1000 gold for it; do you accept or counter?

Answers to some of Mirko’s questions:

Re: Samson being charmed – here is Amra’s reaction:
“I was shocked and angry at first…but I trust Samson not to hurt me. So after I dealt with my initial shock and listened to what Shaun was saying, I accepted it. I didn’t like it, but I accepted it. Samson wasn’t injured and that was my primary concern.”

Re: what kind of forces to expect to be fighting:
Amra says, “Undoubtedly there will be battles with other mind flayers, the citizens of Ch’Chitl. And who knows what kind of thralls they will have in their service. There could be any Underdark race including…quaggoth. Only Shaun can answer this question with certainty.”

Re: how to protect against psionic attack or intrusion:
Amra says, “There may be some spells to guard our minds and thoughts. I will see what I can find out tonight in my prayers. Perhaps the Oak Father or the Lady of the Forest will reveal something to me.”
Borth chimes in, “There are also magical items known to offer protection from mind blasts and such. Never had such myself, but I’ve heard of ‘em.”

Unanswered questions:
- what is the layout of the city?
- how many quaggoth are there? Individual’s names?
(These will be answered on the way.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>

As supper ends and you sit by the fire sipping wine or something stronger, Borth says, “There is supposed to be a break in the weather in a day or two. Figure you guys are planning on heading out then, eh?”
Dreys nods and Amra says, “Wonder when we will meet our guide, this Ilrin Sharadin person? Didn’t Shaun say he was in Triboar?”
“He’s a scout and has lived here for years,” Borth replies. “He’s shady and I don’t trust him, but he’s good and he gets paid well for his services. Me and him crossed paths once…and now we respect each other, but that’s about it.”
The rest of the evening is spent quietly by the fire, talking about the trip, and wondering about the outcome. You close down the place, as the last of the patrons either heads home or upstairs to bed, and the barmaids extinguish all of the lamps and candles. The fire is barely flickering and the strong drink has taken its toll on you and your eyelids are heavy. In fact, Dreys is snoring softly in his chair, his feet propped up on Samson’s broad back, also asleep, his tail twitching in dreams.
My friends…
The mind flayer’s voice causes you to flinch and almost wakes Dreys…almost.
I apologize for my absence these past days, but I have been busy making ready for our departure. We shall leave Triboar in the early hours of morning, two days hence. Our guide will meet us and we shall begin our perilous journey. We may also have another traveler in our group – you will meet him then. Make your final preparations on the morrow and I shall meet you on the outskirts of town just past The Triboar Travelers – a fitting name for a meeting place for our journey, don’t you agree?
Until then…


The presence in your mind disappears and as soon as it does, Dreys sits upright and looks around wide-eyed. His heels dig into Samson’s ribs and the great tiger growls in discomfort and simply rolls over.
Dreys smacks his lips and looks around at his companions and says, “What ye looking at me fer? Was I snoring? Did I fart in me sleep?”
Mirko smiles and says, “Something like that.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>

Alrighty then – are ye ready?
Before we officially start the next chapter, I need to know a few things:
1/ Equipment – what do you have and/or what do you want to purchase before you leave town? You have to figure that you might not be able to buy “surface” goods in the Underdark.
2/ Do you accept Lord Frindos’ offer on the two items? And what do you do with all of that coin? How much do you take with you? Where would you leave it if you don’t?
3/ Any final preparations before leaving – last will and testament, tying up any loose ends, one more roll in the hay, etc…

Talk to me – it’s almost time for a REVOLUTION!!!
__________________


Last edited by hedgeknight; 14th of June, 2010 at 21:42.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren