Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > elmer_jok's Games > Even Gods Cry

Unread 27th of August, 2009, 07:40
FatmanVonBlubberfellow
Tiny Zombie

Member: #7537
Oh no, two cold-based dragonborn in the same party? This means we're gonna have to put up with each other's breath all the time!
Unread 27th of August, 2009, 09:44
Scythe
Bodak

Member: #2925
I'm certain that having two similar dragonborns won't create any problems whatsoever.

I'm still unsure about feats though...
Unread 27th of August, 2009, 12:45
FatmanVonBlubberfellow
Tiny Zombie

Well, the obvious ones would be:

-Bastard Sword proficiency or Dragonborn Frenzy if you wanna dish out a bit more damage.

-Enlarged Dragon Breath to help with minions/groups more. (This probably won't be a problem with two defenders, a Sorc, and a Wizard, but the thought is there.)

-Improved Initiative to ensure that you can hook a monster before it gets to the squishies.

-Multiclass into something for some versatility. Battle Awareness (Fighter) makes you a better defender, Student of Battle (Warlord) or Initiate of the Faith (Cleric) would give you some additional healing that doesn't cost you any surges, Disciple of Divine Wrath (Avenger) lets you really pummel on a guy for a couple turns.

-Toughness to make you... tougher, since Paladins don't use Con as a class stat.

All of this is from a mechanical perspective, of course. I don't really know what kind of character you're going for RP-wise, so I can't offer much advice there.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 05:49
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

Member: #1746
Thae server being down this week really threw a monkey wrench into my posting plans this weekend. Deadline for character creation has been extended to the 8th.

I did some thinking based upon everyone's opinions about Fumles and Critical Success and Failure house rules. I have decided that I will not use the Fumbles rule as it stands currently and will do away with the Critical Success and Failure rule outright. I see your reasoning that is not very fair given the new rules set. I am leaning towards the -10 roll variant one of you suggested. Let me have a chance to do the math before I put it in stone.

I have a long work week ahead of me so I may not be back online until tuesday. I will be taking my books with me to work though just in case I get some down time.

Quick question... Who al has access to the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide? I need to know who needs some more info on background regions and who is good.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 07:22
Stringbean2142
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #7644
I've got a copy, so I'm good when it comes to the Forgotten Realms setting information.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 07:23
Scythe
Bodak

I've got a borrowed copy, so I'm good as well.

Concerning languages, do we have access to our regional language freely, in addition to racial languages and bonus languages?

Last edited by Scythe; 28th of August, 2009 at 10:52.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 09:53
FatmanVonBlubberfellow
Tiny Zombie

I've got access to all the relevant rules stuff via Insider, and the various wikis have a fair amount of info on them. The questions I sent you aside, I should be fine.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 15:23
Viro
Ghoul

Member: #408
Have all books - FMVBF and I share, so what one has we both have.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 17:26
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
I do need some info. I also need to hammer together my sheet and background. So far I've got:

Eladrin orphan
|
Raised by humans
|
(Something)
|
Money
|
House near Goatsmeet (possibly near the next largest town)
|
(Something)
|
Adventure

So it's hardly fleshed out. He's quite a friendly chap in a slightly distant way though and renowned in the local area as a man with a good deal of knowledge about all things Flora. Possibly having lost his lovely house for some reason and be in need of money.
Unread 29th of August, 2009, 11:13
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #1474
I have all the 4E books except for dungeon delve so I'm good. In fact if anyone has a specific question about something i can probably look it up for them.
Unread 30th of August, 2009, 05:46
Stringbean2142
Ghoul [GM]

Originally Posted by BigRedRod; I do need some info. I also need to hammer together my sheet and background.
Hmm, well here's the basics on the Dalelands, since that's where we're at:

It's a group of loosely allied communities that have lush forests, fertile farmland, and value independence over all else. In the north, Myth Drannor is actually in the Dalelands but considered an independent political entity. The ties between the Dalelands and Myth Drannor is strong. To the southeast, Sembia's quietly trying to take over the Dales. We're in the northwest, in Daggerdale. I've always thought of the Scottish highlands in terms of what's there.

The people are usually very democratic in nature. They believe in personal freedoms and collective responsibility. They do not like being lorded over in any way, and tend to be mistrustful of those who look to be trying to take power.

The regional benefit for the Dalelands is +1 to Initiative, and you can reroll a Nature check but must keep the second roll, even if it's worse.

If you want to come from somewhere else and have moved into the Dales, do you have any ideas of what you want to childhood to be like? There's options of nearby countries (Sembia, Myth Drannor, Cormyr) or those further away that would work, but without some idea I'd have to type out the book to give you the full range of options available,

As for your background, how hard was it not to put step 3 as "?" and step 4 as "Profit!"?
Unread 31st of August, 2009, 01:05
Scythe
Bodak

I'm pretty much done with my sheet, besides background information.

Question: Can an attack have multiple damage types? Say I used my Frost Bastard Sword and Holy Strike, would the damage be "radiant cold"?
Unread 31st of August, 2009, 01:11
FatmanVonBlubberfellow
Tiny Zombie

Originally Posted by Scythe # I'm pretty much done with my sheet, besides background information.

Question: Can an attack have multiple damage types? Say I used my Frost Bastard Sword and Holy Strike, would the damage be "radiant cold"?
Attacks can have multiple damage types (many arcane powers do, and it's not uncommon for other casters to get some as well). However, I'm not sure about the Frost Weapon- it says that "all (its) damage is cold damage," but isn't specific as to whether this replaces the normal damage type or adds to. I have run it the latter, but it's really sort of a toss-up, and as far as I know there's no specific errata about it.

(Also note also that multiply-typed damage works differently than the PHB says- you must be resistant to ALL of the types in order to apply your resistance, and if they are different values you use the lowest.)
Unread 31st of August, 2009, 01:14
BigRedRod

I think having him come from the Dalelands would work.

Also elmer, I'm going to use a fortune telling plant along with a group who burned Mr Botanists house to the ground in order to get at such a thing. Given that these are setting/campaign details, I thought I'd toss the vague ideas out there before I put any meat on the bones.
Unread 31st of August, 2009, 03:08
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

thank you all for helping your fellow players on background information. I will sit down and answer all questions put to me tomarrow. It's been a long and rough weekend at work and i still have 12 hours to go.
Unread 1st of September, 2009, 02:15
BigRedRod

My sheet is done, I just need to type it up (working from the character builder as I'm still no 4e expert). And my background is more or less there, in my head.

The two main plot hooks being the mysterious group who attacked and razed whateverhisname's house in order to get at the rare plant specimen (which I want to have some kind of divining/prophecy element to). And the second being his parentage, which he was attempting to cultivate the plant so that he could produce a tea/fruit/fancy plant hat which would give him some knowledge.
Unread 1st of September, 2009, 09:04
Stringbean2142
Ghoul [GM]

I've got everything up except my background, which I just need to get the time to type up. Tomorrow, hopefully...
Unread 1st of September, 2009, 14:21
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

I have everything pretty much done to. just need to post it.
Unread 1st of September, 2009, 17:18
Viro
Ghoul

Some quick tips for people about my character (game mechanic stuff):

I'm a mixed melee/ranged leader. I have 3 at-wills, one for melee, one for ranged, and one is implement (my songblade covers that). So I'll typically be near one or both defenders, though the paladin benefits less from my Misdirected Mark. But not always sharing the actual front line.

I can use 1 ritual per day for free - which if we do much traveling will simply be to grant the party a free +2 speed every day.

I'm a skill monkey. My untrained skills have a +3 bonus - so I won't be as good as one of you with a strong skill, but I've got a decent roll at everything. My actual strong skills are diplomacy, bluff, arcana, perception, insight, religion, and history (all +7 or better).

Once per round I can slide an ally 1 square after an enemy misses them with an attack within 8 squares. And if I choose to, I can slide the enemy into the vacated square.

While resting, all your healing surges heal +4 hp (and that will increase as my CHA goes up).

I have two "utility" style encounter powers. One gives me +5 diplomacy, and other gives EVERYONE +2 to the next skill check they make (choose one skill, then it applies to everyone).
Unread 2nd of September, 2009, 00:30
FatmanVonBlubberfellow
Tiny Zombie

Ah, right, party mechanics are sorta important. So, mechanics-wise:

Deskal is one of our two strikers, so I'm going to spend most of my time hurting people and trying not to die. He should have reasonable defenses throughout his career (thanks to using a primary stat for AC), but he goes down fast once he gets hit. He's going to be a close/mid-range guy, since he wants to use a lot of close blasts and such. His main tactic is a "one-two punch" deal involving dropping an AoE onto a bunch of guys and then nailing the strongest of them with a follow-up that hits extra hard. Most of my utilities are probably going to end up dealing with elemental damage and messing with it (giving people resistances, changing enemy resists/vulnerabilities, etc).

I'd also like to get a little discussion going here in terms of RP stuff and character relations, if people don't mind; I've got a personality blurb posted up for my guy, but I'd be very interested in hearing about other people's characters and what they're like in terms of interacting with the rest of us and how we variously bounce off each other. I've found it can be a good way to help develop characters and lead to interesting scenes or things that weren't considered before. (For example, BRR mentioned that the plant his char had been cultivating had something to do with prophecy or fortune telling, which Deskal would be extremely interested in. Is he traveling to see it? Is he a suspect in the theft? Has he even heard of it before? Who knows, but it seems like an obvious link between the two of them.)
Unread 2nd of September, 2009, 08:14
Stringbean2142
Ghoul [GM]

Following that line of thought up, Gwenn is the other striker but is focusing more on ranged chaos. AC is probably going to be Gwenn's weakest defense, but considering except for archers all rnged tends to be Reflex or Will, she should be fine. She has at-wils that target all three non-AC defenses (although the Fortitude attack is slightly gimped) and I'm looking for her powers to both attack and lay on status effects. Lots of targeting Will for the encounters and dailies, which goes very well with the fey pact feel.

Personality-wise, Gwenn is strange mix of wise beyond her years and girlish. Through her dealing with the fey, she's learned deception and is inherently mistrustful of offered help. That's thanks in large part to Therani, her familiar and the fey spirit she made her pact with. It present itself as just a friend, tagging along, but she's starting to wonder what it's really getting out of the deal. I think it's hiding from someone it angered in the fey world in the past, hence it's willingness to so firmly attach itself to Gwenn. Gwenn likes the finer things in life when she can get them, seeing wealth and comfort as a sign of a person's worth.

Now, I just need to bang all of that out for my background on the character sheet...
Unread 2nd of September, 2009, 10:00
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

H ya'll. I ended up working the overnight shift last night so I got thrown way off my usual schedule. I'll jump in the discussion when I get to my computer later, but it looks like you all are coming on pretty well without me.

One quick answer though for BRR... yes I will work with you on all the elements that you've suggested for your background (property, plants, and prophesy.)

As for everyone else's inquiries... I'll get back to each of one at a time and I'll get you BRR some more details on location and circumstances of your background.

Whoever wishes to have their characters know one another before the beginning of play is both welcomed and encouraged to do so.
Unread 2nd of September, 2009, 11:00
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Okay following this vein i guess i should explain a bit about Korgul. With the exception of Acid arrow most of his spells focus on AOE fire damage. He uses a force staff so when he deals a critical hit he knocks enemies prone.

Personality wise having spent most of his recent years with waterdeep as his home Korgul is fairly open minded and friendly. Before that he lived with an orc tribe (His mother being an orc and all. A fact that tends to weird people out which has provided alot of amusement on Korgul's part). When he discovered his talent for magic he left the tribe to root through old ruins in search of spellbooks to teach himself how to use his talents better. He moved to Waterdeep soon after that and managed to get apprenticed to a wizard there and he's lived in the city ever since, though since his apprenticeship ended he prefers to travel around and root through ruins so he can come up with new spells.

As for a physical description I think I'll just draw a picture.

If anyone has a suggestion about who from the party would know Korgul before hand just say so and we can work something out. It would be pretty cool

Last edited by Prince Yami; 2nd of September, 2009 at 11:05.
Unread 2nd of September, 2009, 13:00
Viro
Ghoul

Well Yami, seeing as how we're a pair of adventurers from Waterdeep who both wield arcane power, it would have been quite a coincidence to be traveling East with the same caravan

So we can easily have meet and "been adventuring since the beginning", perhaps a month or so since we met before encountering the other PCs here. And it's an excellent in-character/out-of-character reason to have different rituals (I only have 1 non-bard ritual), on the vein of thought that as long as my PC took care of conjuring magical floating discs, there was no need for you to acquire the ritual yourself.
Unread 2nd of September, 2009, 16:10
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

That works. the rituals i picked were brew potion, Comprehend language, and create campsite.