Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > LeadPal's Games > City of Shattered Dreams

Unread 30th of January, 2010, 13:36
Rothe
Ghoul

Member: #7529
I have been thinking about the combat challenge applications.

While I agree it is tedious if you don't just enjoy the narrative part of it, it is needed to balance out the encounters/day. In 4e you need quite a few encounters to tax the PC resources enough and in a PbP game such a thing is not viable because playing those encounters without plot importance will take a looooooooong time.
Too long to sustain a game. I speak from experience...

Playing combat will always take a week easily, and that is even if you skip some player's actions if they are not posting.

One possibility is that the DM describes the encounter (non-important one) and then the players make one post each to describe how they deal with it. Then the DM just resolves it using the combat challenge system and tells the players how it went. Players would give the DM some instruction if they wish (like "I'll go for broke on the last round if it is the only way to win") and the DM can just see what works best for the characters based on their narrative description.

That would save time and reduces the amount of posts needed to solve the encounter.

What do you think?

Seems like the game is a bit frozen at the moment. I am not checking in every day, but I was expecting a faster pace.
Unread 30th of January, 2010, 14:45
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Yeah, I know. Honestly I'm thinking it might be too late to sustain the game at all, though. It might be best to move back to the world-building side; the characters would still be used, but in a freeform, vignette style, to showcase the setting.
Unread 31st of January, 2010, 04:55
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7487
I'd still like to actually play...

EDIT: If we revert back to active world building without any hopes of starting an actual game, I don't think I'll continue to contribute. The world building was amazingly fun, but only when we were soon to be playing in the world we were creating. As a stand-alone exercise, world building has never really appealed to me.

If things don't get started in the next week or two, I'm going to drop out of the game. I have a lot going on in my life and it's hard to keep the game in mind when it's not really happening. I'd still love to play at this point, but after nearly a year of activity without actual game play, I am starting to get bored.

It's been a lot of fun and if you go back to world building I wish you the best of luck, but you'll have to go on without me. No lost love here; I'm glad to have been a part of this.

Last edited by Croaker; 31st of January, 2010 at 07:28.
Unread 1st of February, 2010, 22:51
Rothe
Ghoul

Member: #7529
I kind of feel the same as Croaker. I was hoping for a game to play in. For me, any effort to build the game world is mostly motivated by being able to play in it.
Or to DM it obviously, but I am not ready to commit to DM'ing at the moment so I am looking for a player position.

For the next month or so, I will be on a really unstable schedule. I am working in an insanely intense project - basically I am working 12-14h days if things get really hectic. It will get easier later, luckily for me.
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 17:50
LeadPal

Hmm. Soon I'll be spending some time offline anyways; I'll use it to think deeply about what to do with this game.
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 13:17
LeadPal

Ultimately, I've decided that I'm not really cut out for DMing PbP. I love the idea of doing so, but I don't have the stamina to keep it going, and there's just too little reward for me to force it.

So, while I hate to see you guys go, I'd rather you did than end up running a campaign that never becomes very enjoyable. I am going to continue working on the world-building (I've even got a few fresh ideas to throw in), and you're always welcome to drop in whenever you feel the desire. This is a collaborative effort, after all.
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 18:26
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

I shall be around, poking and prodding and occasionally contributing.

Unread 27th of May, 2010, 11:11
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

LeadPal, my dear friend, if ever you decide to start this game up, I will be a player. All this stuff is STILL exciting to me, months after I stopped thinking about it quite so much.

Unread 27th of May, 2010, 14:25
LeadPal

A campaign is not as out of the question right now as it was when I called it off. It'd take time, though. I'd use a fresh adventure, and I'd need a solid co-DM to keep me upright. Assuming we even used the same characters I'd probably drop everyone to level 1--easier to manage, and the power level in Lam is a little ridiculous anyways. And we definitely wouldn't use the skill challenge combat, since that was much more a headache than a help.

...And even then, I'm uncomfortable with the idea. But the setting still excites me, too. I really do want to use it somehow.
Unread 7th of July, 2010, 16:27
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Let me sink into my current games and perhaps I'd be a capable co-DM for this. I'll think about it long and hard.