Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > hedgeknight's Games > The Darnathian Prophecies > Finished Adventures

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 8th of December, 2006, 07:39
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.41 per day)
Scenario 5 - Intro

Scenario 5 – Intro

Moving out, the weary band of survivors picks their way along the edge of the mere, hugging the shoreline as much as possible. And as dark falls upon them, they see lights ahead and hear a…horn? Squint begins to chuckle and then laugh and when asked if he has lost his mind, he says, “Nay, lads – our boys did good! That horn belongs to a patrol of the Lances of Leilon!”
Sure enough, in no time, an armored patrol of men on horseback rides into view, splashing through the swamp on sturdy mounts that seem bred for the work. A closer look, however, shows that the mounts are really sturdy ponies with shaggy manes that cover most of their faces. And the riders are Dwarves!
Squint wipes the sweat out of his eyes and stares at the approaching riders for several long seconds. The lead Dwarf waves and calls out to the sea captain and Squint shakes his head in disbelief. “Well, poke me in the arse with an electric eel! Them be Stoneshaft Dwarves! We must be near Thornhold!”
“Hail Captain Squint!” the lead Dwarf says, his grin shiny and silvery.
“Hail Karlov Silvertooth!” Squint says, striding toward the ponies. “Damn me eyes, but, I thought ye were dead!”
“Har! That’s what me wife says ever time I return to the Hold!”

Rafe is with the Dwarves and greets his captain with a stout handshake and a grin as big as Waterdeep. “Got a hot breakfast and cold ale awaitin’ ye, Cap’n Squint!” Rafe says, nodding at his mates; his eyes showing the hurt of finding so few still alive.
Squint turns to the four companions and says, “Lads, there ain’t no finer Dwarves on Toril than Karlov and his clan! As long as yer with me, they’ll treat ye right, and I’ll pay fer yer meals and boarding. I owe ye much, lads. And maybe one day not too long from today, I can convince ye to return and salvage the Orca! Come now, that hot breakfast damn sure sounds good!”

When you get a good look at the Dwarves, most of ‘em appear to be veterans of battle, worn and weary. Every one of them bear scars along their faces or arms and more than a few have missing teeth or ears. Karlov has several teeth crowned with silver and is so round, you wonder how he stays on his pony.
Squint introduces all of you and then the Dwarves turn the ponies around and you follow them off the beach and swamp and up a narrow path that eventually winds its way up the cliffs to a gray stone fortress that is set against and near the top of the hill. A curving wall sweeps around the side and you can see a tall tower and the top of what looks to be a keep behind it; another tower can barely be seen opposite the one closest to you. As you get closer, you can tell that the fortress is fairly plain and unadorned, but there are narrow arrow slits in the walls, and evenly spaced, wood-shuttered crenellations atop the walls. The Dwarves lead you around near the back of the fortress where the steep path passes through a double gate. Dwarves atop the walls see you coming and open the gates, allowing the ponies and you inside the fortress. Inside the wall, clustered around the bailey, are numerous small, wood-and-plaster buildings. A quick glance around and you see a smithy with a glowing forge, a shop where three Dwarves and a human are repairing a wagon, a laundry with steaming vats of water, a candle shop, several corrals for animals, and two or three other places of interest; one has the distinct odor of a brewery.
Karlov dismounts with a grunt and you would swear that his pony heaves a sigh of relief. “Well lads, welcome to Thornhold – if’n ye be a friend of Squint, then ye are welcome here. We have some fresh cots if you need ‘em and...” he pauses and loudly sniffs the air. “Ah, it smells like Cook has taken some fresh biscuits out of the ovens. Better get along to the kitchens lads, if’n ye can stomach Dwarven fare this early in the day.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well fellers, welcome to Thornhold! You can post what you want to do or you can sit tight and I'll post again on Monday - something to get the blood flowing. Heh. Lots to do here - Veit still want to trade in them boots?
Anybody need healing?
Make sure you post your characters in the new Characters for Scenario 5 thread.

Current Stats:
Almego – 19/11
Bra’kan – 35/12
Mirko – 39/33
Veit – 25/12

That's it for now - back at you soon!
-g-
  #2  
Unread 8th of December, 2006, 09:03
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
"Ah, to be among my people," Veit says. He casts a quick spell, just about the last he has....well, last of anything big(H1d8+3). "You know where I can maybe buy me a wand for battle healing?" he asks Silvertooth. And if I'm lucky I can get rid of them damned boots, too.....
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #3  
Unread 8th of December, 2006, 09:53
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,265 (0.50 per day)
Almego limps in, favoring the leg that got crushed by that dinosaur, and looks around. Drab looking place these dwarfs stay at, I'd expected some fansy stonework from what I've heard of their people. As he sees Viet casting a spell, he goes over him and quietly says, "If you can spare some more prayers of healing for me, I could sure use it buddy. Looks like we all could." He then looks for the kitchen to get a bite to eat. Stomach dwarven fare this early? Why not, feels like it's been days since I've eaten. I'm sure I could even stomach orc fare if that was all that was available. After eating his fill he will take an early light nap to rest up for a night of late heavy drinking.
  #4  
Unread 8th of December, 2006, 10:10
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
Mirko heads for the cots tries to relax his massive muscles at rest
closes his eyes trying to sleep

he dreaded the moments between battles, the times when the objective was not clear and he had time to remember

a somber and hard exterior is all other saw

the faces of his dead comrades come to him, so much blood
sits up, no use, trying to rest, he heads out looking for some hard liquor to drown the memories
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #5  
Unread 8th of December, 2006, 11:36
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
"I have VERY little left..." Veit says. Still, he touches the spot where Almego's leg seems to be the most damaged, and utters three short sylables(sp?)[H3]. The bone and tissue tries to heal itself back together, but its futile. He needs something a little bigger than that.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #6  
Unread 8th of December, 2006, 22:41
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.41 per day)
Quick Post 1

Scenario 5, Quick Post 1: Thornhold


"Ah, to be among my people," Veit says, stretching his arms wide. This causes him to grimace in pain and he casts a quick spell. (H9) The priest of Chauntea breathes a sigh of relief and although still very sore and bruised, he feels much better. "You know where I can maybe buy me a wand for battle healing?" he asks Silvertooth. And if I'm lucky I can get rid of them damned boots, too.....
Karlov smiles and says, “Damn near liable to find just about anything in here! Ain’t that so, Squint?”
Captain Squint nods and turns to you. “This is the last safe stop…perhaps the only safe stop between Waterdeep and Leilon. I see a handful of merchant wagons here now.”
Karlov nods and says, “Ye might find what yer looking fer at Cranston’s – he buys and sells a lot of shit.”
“Speaking of,” Bra’kan says, looking around nervously, “where’s yer shitter? (OOC: Spoken in the best imitation of ‘Fat Bastard’ ) “I got a crap on deck that could…”
“It’s over behind the corrals!” Karlov interrupts, not wanting the details of the Half-Orc’s bodily functions.
As Bra’kan fast walks toward the corrals, Almego limps over, favoring the leg that got crushed by that dinosaur. Drab looking place these dwarfs stay at. He thinks, looking around the hold. I'd expected some fancy stonework from what I've heard of their people. Having seen Veit cast a spell a minute earlier, he goes over to him and quietly says, "If you can spare some more prayers of healing for me, I could sure use it buddy. Looks like we all could."
"I have VERY little left..." Veit says. Still, he touches the spot where Almego's leg seems to be the most damaged, and utters three short syllables. (H3) The bone and tissue tries to heal back together, but it’s futile. He needs something a little bigger than that. “That’ll have to do you for now.”


As Mirko heads for the cots to try and relax, Almego goes looking for the kitchen to get a bite to eat. Stomach dwarven fare this early? Why not, feels like it's been days since I've eaten. I'm sure I could even stomach orc fare if that was all that was available.
The smell of hot biscuits draws the others along too (unless Veit wants to go looking for Cranston’s place) and within a few minutes, everyone is tucking under as if they’ve never seen food before.
Almego eats his fill and then excuses himself, asking to be shown the location of the cots. As he leaves, Bra’kan comes in with a frown on his face. He looks around for Mirko, but not seeing his fellow barbarian he takes Almego’s seat and asks, rather loudly, for eggs and ale!


Mirko closes his eyes to rests, always dreading the moments between battles, dreading the times when the objective was not clear and he had time to remember…the faces of dead comrades…so much blood.
A loud “CRONK!” jerks him from his dose, his face clammy with sweat. At the window a large raven pecks on the sill, attempting to crack open a snail. It caws loudly when Mirko sits up, and flies away.
Mirko shakes his head and staggers to a wash basin and fills it with cold water. After washing his face and arms, he hears tapping at the window and looks to see that the raven has returned. This time the bird appears to be looking in the window…watching him! Mirko slowly approaches the window, lifts the latch, and opens it. The raven flaps in the air to avoid the window (it opens outward) and then lands again on the sill. Mirko observes the raven for a few seconds and is about to shoo it away and close the window when it bobs its head and looks at Mirko’s face, and says, very clearly, “Trap! Don’t go! Trap!” Mirko gawks at the raven which suddenly turns and flies away. “TRAP!” it caws loudly as it flies.

Downstairs, Veit and Bra’kan push themselves back from the table at the same time. The Dwarf and the Half-Orc belch loudly, glance at each other, and break into a fit of laughter. “I’ll take that as a compliment!” Cook yells from the kitchen while scraping bacon drippings into a large bowl for later use.

“Damn good food!” Bra’kan growls, patting his stomach, and yet wincing in pain from the effort. “Say, Veit, you wouldn’t happen to have any more…er…healing…would you?”
The Half-Orc’s voice is a loud whisper. “Not that I really need any, you see. It’s just…”

Suddenly the door to the kitchen slams open and two Dwarves come staggering inside. Between them is a human in leather armor and the man looks near death.
Karlov and Squint jump up to help them and they lay the man on his back on one of the long tables. The man groans softly and shudders a few times, then lies still…and dies.
His body is riddled with large wooden spikes of some kind.
“What the hell?” Squint says, his face frowning, looking at Karlov.
Karlov sucks his silver teeth and without taking his eyes from the dead guard, asks, “Were there any others?”
The two Dwarves shake their heads, and then one says, “He rode up to the front gate a few minutes ago, his horse all lathered up and barely able to stand. Poor beast might not live either. When we got him off his horse, he mumbled something about a caravan and an attack, but that’s all we could get out of him.”
Karlov nods and looks up at Squint. “Looks like our resident manticore has claimed another caravan.”
“Reckon there be any survivors?” Squint asks.
Karlov shrugs. “Might be, but if there are I pity the poor bastards.”
Bra’kan nudges Veit and in a loud whisper asks, “What’s a mannycore?”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Current Stats:
Almego – 19/14
Bra’kan – 35/12
Mirko – 39/33
Veit – 25/21


Here you go fellers! Looks like yer about to get knee deep in...sheep...again! Talk to me and each other and we'll get cracking. Going out of town tomorrow and Sunday, but should be able to answer some questions and do preliminary stuff tonight and early in the morning.
Oh, and Noo said I could NPC Bra'kan to keep him with the group!
-g-

Last edited by hedgeknight; 8th of December, 2006 at 22:43.
  #7  
Unread 9th of December, 2006, 06:20
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
Mirko sees the bird fly away with a puzzled look on his face, his brain trying to wrap around a talking bird,

says to himself
maybe it was a black elven parakeet

Hears the commotion down stairs and walks down

Manticore….

walks over to Veit and Brakan feeling a bit awkward of what he’s about to say, and then just blurs it out

a black bird came to my window to warn of a trap

he sits down wondering if it sounded as ridiculous as he thinks
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #8  
Unread 12th of December, 2006, 11:05
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
"A trap?" Veit asks. "What kind of trap, ya know? I think this very well could be that......I mean, how often does a manticore attack, anyway? And with us just HAPPENING to be here at the time...."
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #9  
Unread 12th of December, 2006, 13:06
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.41 per day)
Karlov grunts and runs a hand through his balding hair. "The manticore has lived along the Red Rocks for a handful of years, and usually stays well clear of our walls. But lately there have been tales that the beast is in league with some type of were-creatures of the sea. Wolves or something like that."
  #10  
Unread 12th of December, 2006, 18:06
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,265 (0.50 per day)
****Almego found himself walking along broken earth in a deep greenish mist that blocked out anything more than a couple feet away from him. Through the broken landscape he walked, knowing his brother was responsible for it as well as all the tragedies that have befallen him since leaving home. Home... he thinks, with a dry chuckle he wipes the thought from his mind and continues on.

After what seems like hours in this hellish world, his feet being sore from walking upon the uneven ground and his throat parched from lack of water, he comes to a great sheer wall. The wall stretches off to the left and to the right as far as he can see, as well as up, up into the green mist. He knows this is his path, for to turn back now would mean defeat.

With his hands raw and bleeding he climbs ever upwards into the mists towards his destiny. At the top of this mountain he knows his brother awaits. He doesn't know how he knows, just that it is the 'truth'. From hand-hold to foot-hold he continues up, up and up.

When he beleives he can continue no further he sees a redish glow from above him, perhaps another twenty feet or so. He summons what little strength that remains in his body to continue on, on to face his brother and wreak his vengence.

Just pulling himself over the lip he sees what is emanating the red light. Stuck into a black onyx stone stands a sword wreathed in flame. The hilt and blade have streams of fire flickering up and down the sword in a never-ending dance. A great red ruby tops the hilt of the sword and this is where the light seems to be originating from.

Almego takes but a few steps closer to the sword, mesmerized by its dark beauty before he hears something familiar, a voice from his past. "Dost thou wish for this this sword to be yours?" He can't quite put a face to this voice, but he finds out soon enough who it is. Stepping out of the shadows from behind the onyx stone is his father! He walks forward to stand before Almego, appearing just as he did the last he saw him alive. "This blade causes destruction and decrepifies the soul of all who touch it. To wield this blade would be your doom son. Go back and live a long peaceful life, away from such dangers." Almego feels sadness and anger well up from inside of him. Why won't he let me have the sword, he's dead, what does he care. Unless... Almego reaches forward to touch his dad's face, but his hand passes straight through it as he recognizes it as the illusion it is.

Brother, you have stood in my way long enough. You will not defeat me he thinks while turning back towards the sword. Instead of the onyx stone with the beautiful sword he beholds his brother upon the back of a great green dragon. "Give up your quest, you will never be able to best me little brother!" Brawnson screems at him. Then a giant taloned claw strikes out at Almego and knocks him back to the edge of the cliff. He struggles to maintain his balance for a moment and his brother says, "Go back to your farm-stead and raise cows you whelp, you're nothing to me!" before Almego looses his footing and falls. He plunges through the green mist while watching the cliff race past him into the air. I will best you brother, in this life or the next...****

Almego awakes from his dreadful nightmare screeming. He jumps to his feet and finds his hands upon his quarterstaff in a white knuckled grip. He swings it around, battering at invisible attackers, before he realizes that he is alone. With his body trembling and covered in sweat he closes his eyes and counts to ten, slowing his pulse and bringing the shaking under control. He decides he's had enough sleep though and goes in search of a bath, food, and some strong liquor.
  #11  
Unread 13th of December, 2006, 07:25
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.41 per day)
Originally Posted by generaljimX "A trap?" Veit asks. "What kind of trap, ya know? I think this very well could be that......I mean, how often does a manticore attack, anyway? And with us just HAPPENING to be here at the time...."
Bra'kan guzzles some ale, belches, and points a finger at Veit. "I'm with him - I don't think this is a random attack. I betcha that damned Beast Lord feller has something to do with this. What's his name? Anybody?"

Mirko gives Bra'kan a look and is startled to see nervous fear on the Half-Orc barbarian's face.

Bra'kan drains the rest of his ale, slams the mug down on the table and pulls his double Orc axe from his back. "I say let's hunt down and kill the sumbitch and any who are helping it. Be it man or...beast!"
  #12  
Unread 13th of December, 2006, 08:06
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,265 (0.50 per day)
"I'm in... whatever you're doing... I'm in." Almego says while walking in on the group. He takes a seat next to Bra'kan, gets his cloak stuck on a loose nail in the floor and rips it out angrily. He has murder writen all over his face. "I didn't hear what 'sumbitch' you're planning to kill, but I'm down for whatever." The young human is in rare form this day, the likes of which none of you have seen him in yet. He casts a dirty look at Bra'kan and asks, "Where do I get some drink?"
  #13  
Unread 13th of December, 2006, 11:28
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
"Ok, ok..." Veit says, trying to calm down his two companions. "We'll go get these bastards...again. But first, we drink, and I'm going to take a trip to Cranston's. Directions, anybody? And I thought DWARVES were angsty....

After getting the needed directions, Veit heads off. Once he has found the merchant's place, he walks in, and looks directly at the shopkeep. "I heard you sell wands. Got any ones that heal like a low powered cleric's heal? Also..." He looks around, making sure no one else is around. The dwarf slowly swings his pack onto the counter, and pulls the boots out. "How much will you give me for these? I picked them up off an orc a while ago....They're too elfy for me....I don't even know if they fit...." Veit sells the boots, regardless of how little the shopkeep offers, just to get rid of them. He also buys the wand, probably becoming broke in the process. Glad to be rid of those gods be damned boots...And I should be able to keep everyone alive with this new wand...

Once back at the bar, Veit orders up one strong brew. One mug. He downs it all at once, and gains a ton of courage. "AlrRRRRIIIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT!!!!!" He yells. "Let's do this!!!"
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #14  
Unread 13th of December, 2006, 22:19
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.41 per day)
Veit goes shopping

"Ok, ok..." Veit says, trying to calm down his two companions. "We'll go get these bastards...again. But first, we drink, and I'm going to take a trip to Cranston's. Directions, anybody? And I thought DWARVES were angsty....
"Drinkin' is good!" Bra'kan shouts. "Another ale and something stronger for my friend, Amigo!"
"Al-ME-go!"
"That's what I said, dammit!"

After getting the needed directions, Veit heads off. Once he has found the merchant's place, he walks in, and looks directly at the shopkeep. "I heard you sell wands. Got any ones that heal like a low powered cleric's heal?"
The Dwarf behind a low counter arrayed with all sorts of interesting...junk...looks up at Veit, takes a sip from a steaming mug, sniffs loudly...and sneezes.
"Scuse me - got a colt."
"A colt? You mean a cold?" Veit asks curiously.
"Dats what I said, dammit!" the Dwarf says, blowing his red nose, and taking another sip from his mug.
Veit shakes his head and tries again. "I heard you sell wands."
"Well you heard wrong!" Cranston says, slightly irritable for a Dwarf with a bad head cold. "This ain't no magicky shop fer damn doorknob wizards! This is a...mercantile! Now...just so happens I might have a wand lying here abouts. Let me look."
Veit waits while Cranston rummages through a half a dozen shelves and boxes and finally the sneezing, coughing Dwarf comes back to the counter with a thin scrolltube. He uncaps the scrolltube and takes out a twisted stick of some pale wood - smells kinda like pine.
"This should do da trick," Cranston says, handing it to Veit. "Don't know how many charges it has left, but more than a few I'd say."
Veit nods. Also..." He looks around, making sure no one else is in the shop, and slowly swings his pack onto the counter, and pulls the boots out. "How much will you give me for these? I picked them up off an orc a while ago....They're too elfy for me....I don't even know if they fit...."
"Dems some purdy boots - plan on going dancing, are ye?" Cranston asks before breaking into a fit of chuckles and wheezes and coughing. He takes a long gulp from the steaming mug, making his eyes water, and seems to settle down a bit.
He examines the boots and says, "I'll take 'em fer trade on that there wand if you like, and give you a vial of something you won't find anywhere else!"
Before Veit can reply, Cranston ducks under the counter, rummages some more, and plops a heavy stoppered flask on the counter top. Cranston grins and points at it and says, "That there will help you fight the manticore."
Veit's mouth drops open. "How'd you know..."
"Small place - word travels fast around here. Besides, you being adventurers and all...well, ain't that what adventurers do? Fight manticores and seawolves and such?"
"Seawolves?" Veit asks, frowning slightly.
Cranston nods and sips his mug. "Listen, gulp down that potion and you'll be able to belch out a gout of flame like a dragon! At least three times worth!"
Veit looks at Cranston and then the potion and then the wand.
Cranston chuckles and drains the last of his mug and asks, "So tell me priest - we got a deal?"
  #15  
Unread 14th of December, 2006, 09:04
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,265 (0.50 per day)
After his second or third strong drink Almego turns to Bra'kan, then looks around, confusion being the look upon his face. "Where's Cap'n Swuint? He's payin' ain't e?" His sight is doubled and the look of two Bra'kan's is quite intimidating, at least twice as frightful as one he thinks to himself. Then he laughs hard at Bra'kan and slaps him on the back. "You 'eally are quite a piece of work ain't ya my big orcy friend." He continues to have a good drunken time well into the wee hours of the night.
  #16  
Unread 14th of December, 2006, 11:50
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
as the alcohol freely flows the female dwarves look better and better,
Mirko looks around trriying to find some companionship for himself and his comrades calls over some dwarven girls to continue celebrating they are still alive and the party is going as if its their last


Come now ladies, in the morn we go to fight the manticore but tonight you’ll swear the manticore already turned some parts of me to stone!
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #17  
Unread 14th of December, 2006, 15:15
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,265 (0.50 per day)
"Isn't that a basilisk? Ah well, all is good here in the hood." Almego then leans close to Mirko and wispers, "Didn't know elves swung that way. Aren't elves and dwarves mortal enemies? I wonder what a half-elf/half-dwarf would look like." He then laughs loudly at his joke. If Bra'kan looks puzzled at this outburst he fills him in on what he told Mirko.
  #18  
Unread 14th of December, 2006, 17:15
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
Mirko looks around the tavern looking for the female elves Almego is talking about

dont know if it'll be a basilisk or a manticore but i'm still hard as a rock

holds tighter whatever female is closer to him

what? there’s female elves too?
hey, dont hold out on me Almego, bring’em over
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #19  
Unread 15th of December, 2006, 05:41
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.41 per day)
Post

Scenario 5 – Quick Post 2: Getting Ugly

"C'mon boy. Remember, what I taught you. Step lightly and quickly on the thorns and they won't hurt you. Faster boy. FASTER!"
The frantic young Hin tries to spur his best friend onwards quickly. They recently have been working on running over difficult terrain with no pain and no slowing down. He's confident the pair with find help soon. He doesn't know why, but he just has a feeling that something strong and familiar is actually waiting for him. The miles pass quickly and as the late afternoon sun is starting to fade, the road levels out and offers a magnificent view to weary eyes and feet.

A fortress of gray, weather-worn stone looms ahead, just off the main road where a gravel-packed path leads to a set of gates flanked by two squat towers. Bone-tired, Babelson calls out to the gate tower and the way is opened for him to enter the fortress. A quad of Dwarves meet him as he enters the gates – stern warriors, laden with armor and armed to the teeth! A few tense seconds pass and then one says, “What brings you here, lad?”
Babelson explains that he was with a caravan that was attacked almost two days ago by a manticore and its minions. He mentions that some of the travelers were carried off into the Red Rocks. He doesn’t know if anyone else survived.
“Well, one feller made it besides ye – a guard – rode a horse into da ground ta get here just ta die.”
Babelson swallows, trying to find some moisture for his dry throat. “When?” he croaks.
“This morning – he was alive when he got here, but died afore we could get him to a priest.”
“Wh-what did you do with his body?” Babelson asks, feeling slightly sick to his stomach.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Glad to be rid of those gods be damned boots...And I should be able to keep everyone alive with this new wand...
Veit thinks as he stomps back to the kitchen, hankering for a cold mug. But when he steps into the place, and sees what is going on, he wonders if one mug will be enough. A few of the surviving pirates are playing a loud game of dice in the far corner, while most of their comrades are passed out. Bra’kan, clearly drunk, is leaning back in a chair, cradling his double Orc axe like he would a…woman. And what’s worse, he appears to be talking to it and even (gulp!) kissing it!

As if that isn’t bad enough, the first real snatch of conversation he understands comes from a severely drunken Mirko.
“Don’t know if it’ll be a basilisk or a manticore, but I’m still hard as a rock!”
Veit’s cheeks turn red and his mouth drops open and for a few seconds he can’t move. Why in the name of all that’s holy, he wonders, is Mirko and Almego hugging each other? And giving each other the once over? He knew wizards were a bit queer at times but damnation that’s just wrong!
Stepping quickly past his companions, and trying to ignore the leering looks that they give him, he quickly orders a strong brew and downs it all at once! This gains him a ton of courage and he turns to the few who are still somewhat conscious.
"ALLLRRRRIIIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT!!!!!" He yells.

This does indeed get their attention and all of the bleary eyes in the room turn to Veit. He takes a step forward and puffs up his chest, preparing to launch into a scolding tirade when suddenly the door to the kitchen bursts open. Four Dwarves come stomping in, escorting a familiar face (at least it would be familiar if Mirko and Bra’kan could focus!).
“Where’s Karlov?” one of the Dwarves asks. When no one answers, the Dwarf says, “Cook! Where’s Karlov? We need him NOW!”
The Dwarf simply known as “Cook” goes looking for Karlov and Babelson walks quietly forward, his hands tucked behind his back (old habits are hard to break).
“What’s going on?” Veit asks. “Who’s this?”
“HE-E-E-E-EYYY!!!” Bra’kan yells, staggering to his feet and approaching Veit. “It’s our little friend – Babbling…Baby…It’s him! Hey Mirko – it’s the, the, the Halfling feller!”
Ol’ Red barks a greeting at Bra’kan, wagging his tail, but stays close to Babelson.
“What’s going on here?” Karlov asks, striding into the room with Captain Squint not far behind him. “Give me a report, Vann.”
The Dwarf watchman explains Babelson’s arrival and then mentions the Hin’s strange request – to see the body of the dead guard.
Karlov Silvertooth frowns and then jerks a thumb over his shoulder. “Cook put him in cold storage until we could fetch a burial detail.”
“But I thought…” Cook begins, scratching his tangled beard, “…I thought the burial detail already come and got him.”
“Why would you think that?” Squint asks, glancing at Veit and raising an eyebrow.
“Cause the body is gone,” Cook says. “Been gone for about two hours.”
Babelson gasps and looks at Karlov whose face has gone white. For a few tense moments no one makes a sound or a move – all eyes are on Karlov. Then he says, “Vann, double the guard at the gates and alert the towers! Cook, send a raven to Leilon, and tell ‘em we are under attack! Squint, get yer men and sober ‘em up! We got infiltrators in the Keep and things are about to get ugly!”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Current Stats:
Almego – 19/14
Babelson - full hp
Bra’kan – 35/12
Mirko – 39/33
Veit – 25/21


It's coming down, fellers! I need to know what your immediate actions will be for the next few minutes. And then it's gonna get nasty! Man, I love being the DM.
-g-
  #20  
Unread 15th of December, 2006, 06:32
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
Mirko stumbles over to the kitchen looking for a bottle of hot sauce and drinks it whole looking to sober up
Shakes his head, quickly checks his weapons and heads out of the room looking for any sign of trouble
he smiles to Babelson and Pats him on the shoulder as he walks out

looks around expecting to see enemies climbing the forts walls

if there’s no immediate sign of danger he’ll head to support the guards,
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #21  
Unread 15th of December, 2006, 10:14
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,265 (0.50 per day)
Almego blinks hard a couple times while listening to Karlov bark out orders, not quite beleiving what he's hearing. Why would anyone steal the body of a dead man? He then jumps to his feet and pulls his wand and quarterstaff forth and to the ready. "Where do you need us?" he asks Karlov.
  #22  
Unread 15th of December, 2006, 13:04
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
"I was just getting started..." Veit sighs. He follows along behind Mirko, shield at the ready.

Holding out a hand to Babelson, the dwarf says, "Names Veit Balderk. Any friend of his is a friend of mine." Regardless of whether Babelson accepts the hand he offers or not, Veit takes absolutely no note of his "condition".

Wonder how much more battle we're going to have to indur today....I don't know how much longer some of these guys are going to keep chugging along...
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #23  
Unread 15th of December, 2006, 16:01
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.41 per day)
Quick Post 3

Scenario 5 - Quick Post 3: Outside

Squint starts shouting orders and his men begin running here and yon to obey them. Mirko stumbles into the kitchen looking for some hot sauce. Cook helps him find some and the barbarian guzzles it down. It takes about five seconds to do its "magic" and Mirko bursts out the back door and hurls his breakfast and most of his drink for the past two hours into the alley. Shaking his head, he checks his weapons, and heads outside, patting Babelson on the shoulder and smiling as he goes. Once outside, he takes a deep breath of the cool air...and then turns to the wall and pukes again.
"I was just getting started..." Veit sighs. Holding out a hand to Babelson, the dwarf says, "Names Veit Balderk. Any friend of his," he points at Mirko's back, "is a friend of mine." He then follows Mirko outside, shield at the ready, his mind awhirl with doubt. Wonder how much more battle we're going to have to indur today....I don't know how much longer some of these guys are going to keep chugging along...

Almego blinks hard a couple times while listening to Karlov bark out orders, not quite believing what he's hearing. Why would anyone steal the body of a dead man? He then jumps to his feet, sits back down as his head feels like it's about to burst apart, stands up again, and pulls his wand and quarterstaff forth and to the ready. "Where do you need ush?" he asks Karlov, blinking rapidly.
Karlov glances at him and curses a blue streak. "First, I need ye to put yer prick back in yer britches! Then get yer ass outside and go find Jolly - he's in the temple near the front gate. He'll know what to do when he takes a look at ye!"
Almego glances down and realizes the "wand" in his hand isn't a wand at all! He quickly adjusts himself and pulls the real wand from his belt and staggers outside.
Bra'kan grins at Babelson, reaches for the Halfling's hand, and falls on top of him! Babelson cries out in surprise and just a little fear (for Bra'kan still cradles the Orc axe!) as the barbarian sprawls on top of him. Red barks, then growls, then sinks his teeth into Bra'kan's sleeve in an attempt to drag him off of his friend. Babelson squirms his way out and sees Bra'kan shaking all over. Fearing the barbarian is choking, Babelson grunts and strains and rolls Bra'kan over on his back...to only find out that Bra'kan is laughing his ass off!
Babelson grins then frowns then shakes his head and walks outside. Bra'kan calls out for him and then somehow gets to his feet and follows the Halfling out into the courtyard of the Dwarven hold.
(see attached map)

Once outside, you see that the quiet hold is abuzz with activity as the late autumn sun is setting fast. Dwarves are moving along the walls and towers and the gates are being barred and wood and coal are being thrown into the firepit. Cook appears atop the three story building that serves as a kitchen, a bar, and an inn with a rookery and small garden on top! You see him fiddling with a cage where nervous ravens await.
Near the kitchen is another low building with a trio of guards out front. You see Karlov glancing frequently at the building while trying to survey his men and give occasional orders in a booming voice.
Suddenly, the sound of a horn comes from one of the front towers near the gates. "I see movement in the shadows of the road, Silvertooth! I think we are about to have company!"
Karlov licks his lips and takes a warhammer from his belt. He turns to you and says, "Better find a good spot, lads and keep yer eyes peeled. The "dead" guard is still in the Keep, which means he has a plan. Don't know what it is, but I'd bet me right nut it has to do with the gates."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Talk to me fellers! I can't believe I'm up and awake! Must be the beer! Take a good look at the map and figure out where you wanna be.
-g-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thornhold 1.JPG (49.2 KB, 10 views)
  #24  
Unread 16th of December, 2006, 11:47
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,265 (0.50 per day)
Almego blinks his red eyes hard several times, trying to bring Karlov into focus as he barks out orders to his men. As for actually grasping what he is supposed to do, Almego is at a loss. "Aye aye!" he says and nods to Karlov. Ah hell... "Hicup!" ... I'll head, uh... He spins around and nearly loses his balance. He stops for a brief moment to balance himself and starts putting one foot in front of the other.Watch yer step Al... there we go, bloody damn strong spirits... "Hicup!"...this way?... He braves a look away from the ground for a moment and sees himself heading towards a trio of temples. Three temples?... which one....As he makes himself over towards the southwest section of the keep he struggles to remember his password. Prot'ectus... Pro'tecti... er, what was that again... Pretec'tese... damnit! Magic and brew don't mix like two dicks and no bitch, find yourself in serious shit... He nearly stumbles and bites it a few more times before making his way across the courtyard. "Heya!... uh," he spins to see if anyone is happening to make their way in the same direction, "Bvrak'in! Wanna see something cool!" Was there a command word for that necklace as well?

When the drunken sorcerer makes his way over to the temple he scans the faces of all those around while trying to remember what the 'dead' guard looked like. Brown hair... blonde? iono... uh, eyes?... damn I'm wasted... He attempts to cast his wand upon himself, hoping he remembers the trigger correctly, "Prot'tecti!" Not knowing whether or not it works, nor really paying attention, Almego tries to put his wand away. He keeps missing the hole and finally gives up and unceremoniously shoves it into a pocket.

While waiting for trouble to rear it's ugly face his thoughts wander back momentarily to the dream he had earlier.Could he be responsible for this? I wouldn't be surprised... that arrogant traitor has already killed both our parents, why would he stop at them. I almost hope my brother does show his face, they waiting and not knowing is killing me inside. He shakes his head and tries to focus his thoughts a bit more to his immediate situation. "Otay, why did the dead guard get out... or, how?" he thinks aloud to himself.Magic... could be. He makes the somantic gestures of seeing the dweomer of things and says an ancient power word in the draconic tongue of magic, "Detec'tum!" He then concentrates on his surroundings looking for traces of dweomer in everyone and everything.


(ooc: Not sure of the exact effects of drunkenness and spell failure so I'll leave the mechanics of that up to you. Nor do the following abilities take any reduction of dexterity or such ability mods into effect due to drunkeness.

Arcane Spell Failure 15%
Balance +4 to avoid tripping
Untrained Spot +0 to spot 'dead' guard

Shield duration: 1 minute
Detect Magic duration: 1 minute (concentration)

Sorry if I forgot to add anything here. Please edit as necessary in case Almego actually does trip or fail at a spell, etc.)
__________________
"Only the Truth is revolutionary."

Last edited by elmer_jok; 16th of December, 2006 at 11:49.
  #25  
Unread 17th of December, 2006, 06:55
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
Let's see....Need to be close to use anything I have...But I don't want to be too close. I remember what happend to me on that boat....

With thoughts of what to use, and wear to stand, racing through his head, Veit moves to just the south side of the firepit. He sees Almego struggling, and, knowing they need everyone at full strength, helps him to the temple like the mage was directed. "Come on, keep moving." He says, pushing his friend with his shield, making him move faster than he proably wants to. Once Almego is at the temple, Veit takes up a defensive position halfway between the temple and the firepit, drawing his mornignstar.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 17:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren