Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans > Campaign Information

Unread 6th of June, 2008, 02:07
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
General Logistical Information

This Thread will, as the title states, general logistical information. That means any rules-related material will go here. Likewise, if there is a rules-specific question that doesn't seem to fit in the OOC, ask it here. I'll also put up character generation guidelines, and House Rules.

General Logistical Information

Basic Posting Guidelines:

We've all been doing Play-by-Post for a while now, and we know what to to. This is a simple style guide so that we are all on the same page.

1. When posting in a In-Character thread, all text will be assumed to be, indeed, from the character. If you write a paragraph of narrative, that will be from the character's POV. That means that certain in-game effects, should they be targeting a character at a given moment, could potentially act on thoughts, actions, and speech of that character.

2. I encourage banter in the IC. We have an OOC thread, but that is for our general conversation. I expect that we throw jibes, make jokes, and make statements of clarification within the IC. It's a good lesson from LB that helps the "tabletop" feel. See #3 for how to present that clearly.

3. Narrative text, dialog, actual thoughts, banter, and logistical statements need to be clear. See below:
  • Narrative text, like this wall that you are reading now, is in the default typeset. This includes any IC actions, blocking, and general statements of intent. As a rule, please speak in first person. With the smaller games in which I've participated, I've found that it helps with the verisimilitude. We have a nice small group, so it will work well.
  • Out of Character statements, including banter, points of clarification, and other non-character statements should be made in double parentheses, like so:
...I didn't know what to do.

((Oh yeah I do, clearly))

The statement of confusion is clearly IC, and the player statement is set off. If you have a call to the OOC thread for a point of order or out of character discussion, you can let the group know in this same format.
  • Dialog, when the character is actually speaking, should be in color. Pick a color that has good contrast to the dark background (the "Coal" skin). I have found that this greatly aids in the flow of the game. See below:
I look at the man behind the counter, and smile.

Now I can at long last finish what I came to do, but I'd like a cup of coffee first.
  • Thoughts are similarly outlined, but will be marked in Italics, thusly:
I am never going to put that shirt on. She can forget it.
  • Logistical Information, that is, any rules-related statement needs to be removed from the main body of text, placed at the bottom of the post, bracketed and italicized, like so:
I need to get on him to help Bruce, but let's soften him up first.

I throw my sturdy javelin toward the orc, then close in, drawing my falchion!

Die, you miserable dog!

[Throw +2 Javelin at the nearest Orc, +14 (1d6+7+1d6 electrical/x2), then move adjacent, drawing my falchion on the way]

You don't have to detail your attack like this above; you can simply give me a logistical intent like "I plan on throwing that cool new javelin I just found, then move up to him while I draw my sword" in the narrative format. That is, you don't have to put down your logistics if you don't want. That will work for me. I can take care of the crunchy.

4. If you make edits to a post, let us know what might have changed in the edit note box, unless you make a change immediately after posting (which I commonly have to do). This will let the group know that something is different. If what you edit is markedly different that what was initially posted, please make a note of that in the OOC.

5. Out-of-character knowledge and other metagaming is strictly forbidden in the IC. If there are metagame questions that need to be asked, do so in the OOC. Honestly, though, fight the urge unless there a legitimate reason to ask the question.

6. For the most part, the details of the game will be in this narrative form. I will create some maps, on an as-needed basis, and I'll provide visuals where appropriate. This does mean thought, that combat will be less structured than on a battle-grid. Should the need arise for more precision, I'll provide it, of course.

The Known Worlds

Here are some quick references for you for use when we are in needHere's a map of the Nibenay region of Athas. Yes, there are some readability issues. That's fine. You all won't have every last think memorized anyways.

(I'll add more later. Feel free to provide any feedback necessary)

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!

Last edited by Chris Chandler; 16th of June, 2008 at 07:12. Reason: Added world-specific links, map
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 02:42
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
Whptcha!!!
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 03:16
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
You actually prefer first person, eh? Cool beans.

Ok, I want to make sure I have this right:

OOC: general talky about anything
Tiki lounge: visitor thread which is also general talky about anything?
And this:the technical ultra crunchy OOC thread?

BECAUSE, I honestly originally thought it was

OOC: game related but not in char
Tiki: anything goes talk

I know you're not gonna be an uber tightwad about it and we're going to ebb and flow and get off topic everywhere, but the introduction of a third OOC when I thought the other two covered it makes me question my place in the universe. Ok not really, but I just want to be straightened out.
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 03:58
Chris Chandler

You've got it right. I mean to say that this thread can be for overarching crunchy, not just rules questions. Campaign, rather than character/party. Is that a little bit more clear?

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 04:20
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
Forgive me if I lapse into third person; it's all I'm used to in pbp.

I'll try to get you a rough draft sometime over the weekend (f2f tonight, work tomorrow).
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 04:22
Chris Chandler

I understand that. It took me some time to break into and out of 1st depending on the game.

Unread 9th of June, 2008, 03:06
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

so, if I want Malek to walk across the hallway and brain Rowan with a greataxe (dang, I've been wanting to brain Rowan!!) Then I would post as follows?

Damn, I've been wanting to brain Rowan ever since we met in my last incarnation!

I walk across the hallway and swing my greataxe mightily at Rowan's head.

Die you smug self important arrogant jerk!

[Power Attack (full) @ Rowan + 24 greataxe, +36 ((Hunters Mercy:swift action = Auto Crit) 6d6+36 +2d10 electrical)]
Something like that?

*innocent smile*
Unread 9th of June, 2008, 03:59
Doombot

Likewise:

Oh gods, he's doing it again. I wish he'd stop attacking people that aren't here.

I approach Malek and chop him into little pieces with my awesome sword of awesome awesomeness.

Will you stop attacking people that aren't here? It's really freaking annoying!

[Cast Wraithstrike as swift action, power attack Malek (-19/+38), arcane strike for +5/+5d4: +18 7d6+5d4+52, continue until Malek is in little pieces]
Sorry MD, couldn't resist.

Last edited by Doombot; 9th of June, 2008 at 04:14.
Unread 9th of June, 2008, 04:05
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

FWIW, Rowan is the character Chris played in the last game I was in with him.
Unread 9th of June, 2008, 04:15
Doombot

I kinda figured that was the case.
Unread 10th of June, 2008, 00:16
Chris Chandler

And by gum Rowan earned every itty bitty chunk that he'd be cut into. I think LG'd get on that action too... Might even take the greataxe from the bear.

But yes, that looks just right.

Unread 10th of June, 2008, 00:41
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
Naw, a greataxe to the noggin is far too merciful.
Unread 10th of June, 2008, 01:49
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
Hey now, don't pick on Rowan. He's a nice guy, just a little misunderstood.
Unread 16th of June, 2008, 07:13
Chris Chandler

I added some more information to the initial post, mostly links.