Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > beowulf's Games > Changeling: the Lost

Unread 8th of May, 2011, 08:48
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Member: #9289
Can we all post our Seeming, Kith(s), and concept in one line? I've had so many in-depth conversations about your characters that I can't keep track of who is what. =D
Unread 8th of May, 2011, 09:37
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #7805
I forget do the 5/4/3 dots in primary/secondary/tertiary abilities count the base 1 dot for each ability?
Unread 8th of May, 2011, 10:54
AbidingDude
Zombie

Member: #9299
You get the 5/4/3 after starting with 1 in each ability.
You get the 11/7/4 after starting with 0 in each skill.

Seeming: Fairest
Kith: Elemental Dragon (name for the kith still up in the air, and is pending ST approval)
Concept: a wheel-and-dealer prized in the freehold for his ability to craft pledges, and like all of his kith, smooth enough that even the elements listen to him.
Unread 8th of May, 2011, 11:02
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Oh hey, let's talk about that kith. What were you interested in having it do, again? Before we make up a whole new kith, why don't you check out Winter Masques or whatever the Seeming and Kith sourcebook is? I'll go through it too and try to find something that works for you.

Basically, you wanted to be an Elemental, but they get a penalty to Craft rolls, so you're looking for a way around that? Let's see what we can do.

Last edited by beowulf; 8th of May, 2011 at 11:52.
Unread 8th of May, 2011, 11:25
AbidingDude
Zombie

Actually, they get a penalty to all social rolls, which is a rather large part of the character concept.
Unread 8th of May, 2011, 11:52
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Social rolls, that's what I meant. My bad! Getting everything all mixed up.

I'm gonna go read for awhile and see what we can't come up with.
Unread 8th of May, 2011, 17:22
Chrononaut
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #9319
Late, late, late, late...

Do you play to win?
b) Good play isn’t a win/lose kind of thing

Am I the only one who thinks we win when the pizza arrives?

Player characters are:
b) expected to work together; but major conflicts might erupt but you’ll patch them up given some time

Really? D) All of the Above, but for this game's intents and purposes, B is best. And as a player, B. I've played with all types, and generally, one group always has "THAT guy". You know who I'm talking about. He hordes the loot, he argues morality issues for twenty minutes at a time, his oWoD Nos carries holy water "just in case". I have had to forcibly REIGN in one guy in my local PF group time and time again, and I'm glad to hear we're all agreeing on this more than any other topic.

The GM’s role is:
c) The GM has no plan – the GM simply plays the NPCs and has them act or react based on their motivations

I lean heavily towards A on this. Very heavy. That being said, some of the best times of my life were in a Sandbox game.

Dibs on the Tonka Truck.

The players’ roles are…
b) …to set goals for their characters, and pursue them proactively

"Proactively" here should be used loosely. As long as PCs pursue something other than a rent check and a bag of In 'n Out, it's all good.

Doing the smartest thing for your character’s survival…
b) …sometimes isn’t as important as other choices

Characters are inherently the kind of person that goes looking for trouble, or feel motivated by some grander sense of the universe to do stupid, life-endangering shit that could benefit others. Go figure.

The GM’s role to the rules is…
b) …ignore them when they conflict with what would be good for the story

I'm a cheeto, storyist, buttkicker in that order. Story takes precedence over everything in my opinion, but so long as I'm having a good time with friends... Eh, screw it.

After many sessions of play, during one session, a player decides to have her character side with an enemy. This is…
e) …a meaningful moment, powerful and an example of excellent play.

Allow me to point out that I've had this happen before, several times. Nothing makes you want to kill a friend's character faster, and nothing comes off as being more dickish when done improperly, which is why I lean towards GM assistance with such things. However I trust we all know what we're doing.

Oh, I answered that questionnaire backwards.

For my initial character concept, I'm making a character based off of my favorite poem by John Keats, "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" (The Beautiful Lady Without Pity). It's about a Knight who's seduced by a fairy lady, and wakes up in Fall. Or Hell.

http://www.bartleby.com/126/55.html

For those interested in the read.

More to come as I actually make the character my own and put him into hard copy numbers.
Unread 8th of May, 2011, 18:48
obgoblin
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #9307
Seeming: Darkling
Kith: Antiquarian/Mirrorskin
Concept: A gruff archivist of the Ashen Court who remembers others' histories better than his own. He is a compulsive keeper of secret and reluctant solver of problems—the perpetual "man who knew too much."

Good to see you, C(h)rono. Is your character based on the knight or the lady?
Unread 8th of May, 2011, 23:12
GIJ00
Ghoul

Member: #7593
Seeming: Wizened
Kith: Artist
Concept: Hedge Ranger and Goblin Fruit Farmer/Merchant.
Unread 9th of May, 2011, 00:14
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Originally Posted by obgoblin # Concept: A gruff archivist of the Ashen Court who remembers others' histories better than his own. He is a compulsive keeper of secret and reluctant solver of problems—the perpetual "man who knew too much."
I was thinking of throwing a dot into the Archive merit since we all seem to have a dot dedicated to a group hollow...maybe we could pool some dots because "knowing is half the battle"
Unread 9th of May, 2011, 09:20
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

That's a great poem. Based on the knight, right? Are you going to be some sort of Autumn Court knight? Or a Summer Court knight with Autumn leanings? Man, you could go so many places with that. A Summer Court knight that hates the Autumn Court?

Looking forward to hearing about it!
Unread 9th of May, 2011, 17:34
obgoblin
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #9307
Originally Posted by Captain Gavis # I was thinking of throwing a dot into the Archive merit since we all seem to have a dot dedicated to a group hollow...maybe we could pool some dots because "knowing is half the battle"
That sounds like a good idea to me, Cap'n. You have my dot! (... and my axe!)
Unread 10th of May, 2011, 06:37
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

How are we doing wrt character creation? Anyone hit any snags? Did I promise anyone information that I never got to them? Have I forgotten to answer any questions?

Let's try and get all the discussions we need to have done by Wednesday or so, and plan on having characters completed by the end of the weekend. I'm shooting for a tentative first post Monday of next week.

Also, the general program for posting will probably be along the lines of 3-5 times per week from me, but it will vary in both directions. Let me know if you have a problem with that.
Unread 10th of May, 2011, 07:01
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

I will try to put the finishing touches on my character by tomorrow (working out what he did during his tenure in Arcadia)
Unread 10th of May, 2011, 23:28
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Lukas is now complete for statistics...please look him over and see if there is anything i missed
Unread 11th of May, 2011, 06:10
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

I didn't look at him super closely yet, Gavis, but after a glance there are two things:

One, you can just take a "blacksmithing" specialty instead of both armor and weapon crafting. I know realistically there is a huge difference between crafting nails, swords, and chainmail (just for example), but as far as the game goes I don't care if we fold all that under one specialty. Go ahead and take another specialty.

Second, I'm not sure one-handed weapons is specific enough for weaponry. That applies to a claw-hammer as well as a sword. That's a little too diverse, maybe. If there's precedent in the book (do they list "one handed weapons" as an example specialty?), then your fine. If there isn't anything in the book, I'll have to decide. I'm not sure which way I'll rule; I'll have to think about how much it will actually affect things.

Other than that, he looks pretty good! I'll go over the numbers in detail when I get home.
Unread 11th of May, 2011, 06:48
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Ok i will change to blacksmithing...and the whitewolf wiki said that one handed was a specialization you could take (other examples included two handed. weapon and shield, pole arms...etc.)
Unread 11th of May, 2011, 08:09
GIJ00
Ghoul

At first glance your stats seem high to me, well at least the Physical ones. I see that you put your 3 points into social stats, 4 into mental and you have.. 7 in physical? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should only have 5 points to divide amongst your physical stats.

Don't forget that due to your Kith you get 'the Forge's Endurance'. I didn't see it under your Seeming Blessings is all!

Oh and finally, it seems to me that you have gone over by 1 merit point. You have 5 dots and a Wyrd of 2 (it eats 3 dots).

Changeling is new to me, so if I'm wrong about anything feel free to call me an idiot and point me in the right direction!
Unread 11th of May, 2011, 09:00
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

@Gavin: Okay, that's fine then. I realize that I don't really care about it, so why nitpick.

Still haven't checked the math; sorry. Will be home soon.
Unread 11th of May, 2011, 09:05
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

@Beowolf: Eh, I changed it to 2 hander weapons

@GIJOO: yup my physical stats are off....as for merits first paragraph of the merits section in the character build step by step it says you get a free dot in Mantle if you have a court so i would technically have 8 dots in merits yes but one is free
Unread 11th of May, 2011, 10:02
GIJ00
Ghoul

Durp, I missed the free bit. I was just counting dots, so that's my bad.
Unread 12th of May, 2011, 05:23
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

So we have the following, I think:

obgoblin- Darkling Antiquarian/Mirrorskin of the Autumn Court, a collector of lore and knowledge with some hard-boiled detective flavor.

GIJ00- Wizened Artist of the Autumn Court, a Hedge ranger with a good knowledge of Goblin activity (Fruits and Markets).

Cpt. Gavin- Elemental Metalflesh of the Summer Court. Master-at-arms/blacksmith.

Chrononaut- Fairest ______ of the Autumn Court (?). A knightly-type who was lured into a Faerie realm by a beautiful lady.

AbidingDude- Fairest Flowering/Woodblood of the Spring or Autumn Court. An odd breed of Fairest who somehow lost access to the Contracts of Vainglory, but can use the Contracts of Elements. Pledgesmith.

We've got a good spread of abilities and concepts. I think this is going to be a lot of fun.

We're trying to get everything submitted by this weekend, remember. If we can do that the first post will be up on Monday. Cheers!
Unread 12th of May, 2011, 06:26
AbidingDude
Zombie

I think I have to make Al Spring court - after his first bad experiences messing with contracts as compulsions, he's devoted himself to making deals that favor everyone involved (when possible), and takes pleasure from doing so.
Unread 12th of May, 2011, 23:59
AbidingDude
Zombie

Double Posting a day apart should be forgiven.

Also, I believe I am finished with my character, other than a flaw and starting pledges (or do you want us to develop all of them during play?), also, what would you guys like for a motley pledge? Do we want to start as a pledged motley?

For the motley pledge, if anyone's interested, the one from the book is pretty solid, so here it is with some explanation to go with the numbers, for anyone who didn't want to learn all about pledgesmithing:
Type: Vow
Tasks: Greater Alliance (-3 - loyalty to the motley)
Boons: Adroitness (+1 - +1 to a skill of your choice), Medial Blessing (+2 - +2 dots worth of mortal merit of your choice)
Sanction: Greater Poisoning of the Blessing (-3 - -1 to the skill you got with adroitness and the merit dots take away equal amount from what they gave you for the rest of the duration of the pledge)
Duration: One Year and One Day (+3)

Example: Changeling Doe with 3 weaponry and fighting stlye 1 could bump themselves to 4 weaponry, fighting style 2 and resources 1. If he broke the pledge, he would be reduced to 2 weaponry, and no fighting style and would be plagued with terrible financial luck as there was no dot of resources for the curse to take away.

Last edited by AbidingDude; 13th of May, 2011 at 01:35.
Unread 13th of May, 2011, 08:55
GIJ00
Ghoul

Looks good to me mate.