Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Black Plauge's Games > DŁnya

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 23rd of February, 2008, 06:58
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
IC - Chapter 1 - Shipwrecked

With the ship well and truly out to sea, life on board settles into a kind of routine for the hafta it takes to travel towards the way point. The sailors are up and down the rigging, adjusting the sails to the wind. The captain, his first mate, and the navigator spend most of their time at the wheel, setting and adjusting their course based on markers none of the party can see or understand. The cook makes basically the same meal everyday, three times a day, and the sailors invariable complain about it.

It's on the day that they are scheduled to make landfall that the routine is broken for the first time. Io rise finds the day clear and almost cloudless, but by 3rd saat, clouds have begun to fill in rapidly from starward, heralding a fast moving cold front, and a powerful storm. Soon the sky is almost as dark as the caves of Vilmos' home and the boat's lanterns are the only light to see by.

Worried by the fact that the ship has already entered the relatively shallow water that marks the presence of the nearby island chain, the captain orders the passengers to their quarters for the duration of the storm so that they won't obstruct the crew as he battles to keep the ship on course and off the rocks that he knows are coming.

In their cabins, each of the passengers are cut off from the sight of the storm, but the sounds of the wind whistling through the rigging, the ripping of sails, and the creaking of wood transmit its intensity in a way that none can deny. Add to that the intense rocking and pitching of the ship from time to time, and more than one passenger loses their breakfast, compounding the intensity of the experience with an unpleseant smell.

Isolated as they are, saat pass like gŁn and it isn't until the sound of a crunch overwhelms all others, and a shudder rip through the hull that the passengers realize just how far the ship has been blown in the storm: right into the rocks just off the island they had been sailing for.

Not really knowing what to do, the passengers look at each other as the crunch becomes a grating, and then a creaking and finally a tremendous cracking before an eiriey silence settles over, broken only by the howl of the wind.

Into this silence the sound of the doors to the passenger compartments being slammed open breaks one by one and each group of passengers is greeted in turn by a crewman with dire news, "Abandon ship! Head for the life boats now!"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 23rd of February, 2008, 08:14
Grognard
Spawn of Kyuss

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member: #2862
Location: South Africa
Posts: 518 (0.13 per day)
Teliq sticks his head through his men's porthole.
Stand to! Full kit. We head for the lower boats. If there is a panic we kill our way to the nearest. Make sure to grab some of the crew if that happens.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 23rd of February, 2008, 09:37
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.27 per day)
Vilmos quickly checks to ensure that his money pouch is indeed secured on his person as it always is, and quickly grabs his beloved suit of breastplate before racing to the boats.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 24th of February, 2008, 07:32
Benicus's Avatar
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1716
Location: Miisk, Wharf District
Posts: 2,813 (0.61 per day)
Gel, glad that he always keeps his money in a sock near his bed, grabs the pouch and his double ax and moves near the lifeboats with a mindset to return to the wreck should he ever get the chance. He wasn't one to let his peoples equipment go to waste in the depths of the sea.
__________________
-Taking a hiatus from ORP. Have had rl things come up. Feel free to drop me from games. -
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 24th of February, 2008, 11:44
Grognard
Spawn of Kyuss

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member: #2862
Location: South Africa
Posts: 518 (0.13 per day)
Noting that the lifeboats are already being hoisted on the davits and that his men are responding blankly to his perfectly clear Centaur, Teliq changes to They load, hurry! He then grabs his pack and legs it for the long longboat.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 27th of February, 2008, 06:18
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Having grabbed what they had at hand, the passengers head for the ship's deck where they meet the teeth of the storm for the first time. Wind and rain lash at their faces. Salt stings their eyes. The deck shudders beneath there feat. Fighting to see, and to follow the shouted orders of the crew, the passengers are divided up according to the capacity of each lifeboat. Teliq in particular causes some consternation as one of the younger crew members initially points him towards one of the forward lifeboats, those which the captain took are to point out were to small for the centaur, but on of the more experienced crew members corrects the error before Teliq has time to more than stamp his foot in anger.

Suddenly the boat heaves dangerously to one side, accompanied by the sound of boards snapping under the pressure.

"CAST OFF THOSE BOATS NOW!" the captain's voice barely pierces the storm.

As the passengers rush to take their seats, now thoroughly soaked, the sailors cut the lines holding the lifeboat to the ship and immediately they are thrown away from the ship by the waves. Sailors bend their backs to the oars and tiller, trying to control each little boat in the rough sea.

As lightning flashes, everyone sees the main mast, hung with little more than tatters now, rip free of the ship and is flung towards one of the boats. Darkness follows the lightning, leaving the after glow image of the oversized spear seared into every man's memory as only moments later the sounds of boards tearing and screaming men ring out only to be cut of second later by the thunderclap.

If saat were like gŁn before, now each ikincni feels like a saat as the little boats fight through the storm. Eventually they make shore, scattered and seperated, and the sailors haul them up the beach and everyone makes for what ever cover they can find under the trees.

The storm breaks about midnight, but the clouds hide Pelor's perpetual rise/set for much longer than that and everyone falls asleep, exhausted from their ordeal, in the unnatural darkness.

Io rise brings the welcome sight of the ship still mounted to the rocks it had run aground on, though now it looks like a children's toy that has been treated to a royal temper tanturm: it's main mast gone, the mizzen and fore masts broken in the different places and hanging by their rigging, the whole ship canted off at some obscene angle, and a gapping hole in the bow where the ship first hit the rocks. It's not much, but it is there and that means a chance to recover supplies.

The bad news, however, soon comes home to rest as the passengers of each boat make their way towards the point on shore closest to the ship. The captain, first mate, and navigator were on the boat that was hit by the main mast.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 27th of February, 2008, 07:00
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.27 per day)
"Well, I always did say that a captain should go down with his ship."

Vilmos clearly is agitated, not enjoying being in such a small boat with.... others.

"Let's git on wit it!"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 27th of February, 2008, 09:17
Benicus's Avatar
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1716
Location: Miisk, Wharf District
Posts: 2,813 (0.61 per day)
Gel wasn't smiling today, he'd liked the captain though he only knew him a little. He said a quick prayer to Gruumsh for the captains soul in the afterlife before moving toward Vilmos."Should we get our stuff or do you think the wreck is too hazardous?"
__________________
-Taking a hiatus from ORP. Have had rl things come up. Feel free to drop me from games. -
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 28th of February, 2008, 00:29
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.27 per day)
"Of course ya should get ya stuff! I be gettin' mine!"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 28th of February, 2008, 12:00
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Agreeing that a trip to the ship is in order, the sailors go about taking stock of the life boats. What they find is okay, but defininately not good news. The large long boat, the only one capable of carrying Teliq, was damaged when it was brought ashore during the night. It can be fixed, but only by stripping one of the two smaller boats for the wood necessary to do so or by salvaging parts of the ship, which requires a trip out to it first. Obviously, a decision is in order as not everyone will be able to go to the ship immediately.

Unless, of course, some people are up for a swim to reach the boat.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 29th of February, 2008, 04:37
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.27 per day)
"Bah! So we won' all be goin' then!"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 29th of February, 2008, 16:02
Grognard
Spawn of Kyuss

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member: #2862
Location: South Africa
Posts: 518 (0.13 per day)
Tell them that Bob (shieldbearer) will go in my stead.Everything should be in my stall Bob.
Teliq pulls flint and tinder out of his pack and sets to making a fire and brewing Caf.

Last edited by Grognard; 29th of February, 2008 at 16:09.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 1st of March, 2008, 06:55
Benicus's Avatar
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1716
Location: Miisk, Wharf District
Posts: 2,813 (0.61 per day)
Gel volunteers to go first to get supplies and salvage from the ship.
__________________
-Taking a hiatus from ORP. Have had rl things come up. Feel free to drop me from games. -
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 1st of March, 2008, 07:54
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
"We won't be able to carry much supplies back on the first run," one of the sailors says as people climb into the smaller boats, "These little cockshells aren't meant to handle much cargo and we'll need room for the materials to repair the long boat. Once the long boat is repaired, however..."

Once the small boats are out on the water, the sailors put their backs into rowing out to the ship, a process which is surprisingly quick and easy given the difficulty of getting to shore the previous night. Once on board, the sailors start by gathering tools and looking for good wood to salvage while Bill heads straight for his employer's quarters to start gathering up the goods located there. Gel, and Vilmos, however, are left to their own devices.

* * *

Back on shore Teliq and the others who remain behind start the process of making camp, gathering wood from nearby forest and then getting a fire going. Once that's done, Teliq is able to spend some time trying to figure out how to make caf without any grounds. In the end the conclusion is that he can't, but he did find some leaves in the forest that would probably make a good tea if he didn't want to wait for the sailors to retrieve the foodstuffs from the ship.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 2nd of March, 2008, 04:29
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.27 per day)
Vilmos, in an even worse mood than usual, stays away from everyone.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 5th of March, 2008, 14:22
Grognard
Spawn of Kyuss

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member: #2862
Location: South Africa
Posts: 518 (0.13 per day)
Teliq hands out hot tea,asking those still on the beach about survival and navigational skills. He politely asks Gel if he is actualy competent with his net, if not then make it avaliable to one of the sailors who is, else lead others in fishing.He then moves along the beach gleaning crabs,clams and mussels, then back along the forest-line gathering wild roots,truffles and mushrooms.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 6th of March, 2008, 07:58
Benicus's Avatar
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1716
Location: Miisk, Wharf District
Posts: 2,813 (0.61 per day)
Gel tries to find his own supplies and salvage any valuables that might have been forgotten by the crew.
__________________
-Taking a hiatus from ORP. Have had rl things come up. Feel free to drop me from games. -
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 6th of March, 2008, 08:49
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
On board the ship, most (7, for those counting) of the sailors manage to find the various wood working tools that are necessary on any wooden vessel and start taking apart various parts of the super structure. While there is no real coordination to what they are doing, they appear used to working with each other to accomplish a task and rarely get in each others way and soon a pile of lumber begins to grow on the deck.

Bill makes several appearences on deck as he carefully brings up his employer's equipement, as well as the remaining equipment of his fellow hierlings one load at a time.

Gel and Vilmos both find their stuff in their cabins, though strewn about a bit from the tossing the ship took in the storm. It isn't very difficult for them to gather it all up.

Two of the sailors disappear into the hold fairly quickly, and from time to time the sounds of cargo being shifted around and of splashing water can be heard emminating from below.

Indeed, were it not for the fact that this was the first time any of these people had been shipwrecked, one could say that their activities were routine.

Until the scream echoed from the hold, that is.

* * *
The three sailors who remained on shore respond easily to Teliq's questions. One is still, in many respects, a landlubber to his compatriots, this being just his first voyage. He grew up on a farm until he ran away to see and so knows something of plants and such, but really isn't all that knowledgable about survival in the wilderness. As for navigation, his only experience is in following roads, not currents and winds.

The other two are more experienced sea hands, having already been on several voyages. They know the basics of sea navigation, enough to sail or row a straight line, but don't have any of the broader knowledge necessary to know the direction to a particular place nor how to chart a course when a straight line is impossible. As for their other skills, they've only ever used them in relation to the sea and don't see how they might be of use in their current situation: one is fairly good at sail repair while the other is more used to working with rope.

The other men on shore are Teliq's own hierlings, whose skills he is already familiar with.

Since Gel is on board the boat, he'll have to wait to make his suggestion to him, but he finds it fairly easy to start gleaning food from the land around him. By himself there won't be enough to feed everyone, but maybe if he can get some help later on he'll be able to do so.

*snort* *grunt* *sniff*

As he kneels to check some mushrooms to see if they are edible, Teliq hears the sounds of rustling in the bushes near him and quickly realizes that there is probably a large animal in there.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 6th of March, 2008, 09:21
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.27 per day)
Vilmos hears the scream, has no idea what it could mean, and so does what any rational dwarf would do: grab his stuff, get off the ship, and get dressed and ready to defend himself and his belongings.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 6th of March, 2008, 15:50
Grognard
Spawn of Kyuss

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member: #2862
Location: South Africa
Posts: 518 (0.13 per day)
Teliq backs slowly away, watching for a charge.
Bill sticks his head over the cargo hatch "you have an accident down there?"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 7th of March, 2008, 05:02
Benicus's Avatar
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1716
Location: Miisk, Wharf District
Posts: 2,813 (0.61 per day)
Gel holds off from going into the direction of the scream but he does want to garner something for his troubles of coming out here. He checks the captain's quarters, crew quarters, passenger quarters, and then finishes by going into the cargo hold cautiously. He also draws his sword while looting, and avoids other people.
__________________
-Taking a hiatus from ORP. Have had rl things come up. Feel free to drop me from games. -
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 8th of March, 2008, 09:26
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
On board the ship, most of the sailors drop what they are doing and head for the hatch to the cargo hold like Bill. In response to his question, a voice calls up "Something bit Abaza!" Ikinci later, they see one of the sailors dragging the other behind him and quickly lend a hand drawing the unconcious Abaza onto the deck, where one starts to treat his wound: a missing foot.

Vilmos, meanwhile, hastily dons his armor and then heads for the cockshells. As he passes the clutch of sailors on the deck, one of them calls out to him, "Slow down, metal man. Since you're so anxious to get back to shore do you think you could give us a hand with Abaza?"

Below deck, Gel heads for the captain's quarters where he finds clay dishes and mugs, as well as a set of steel untensils (the same used as the dinner several nights ago). They aren't fine china, but they're better than the wooden plates most of the sailors eat off of. He also finds a compass, spyglass, and a few navigational tools that he could use to set a course by. If he knew anything about navigation, that is. Finally, there's the captains sea chest, which presumably holds his remaining belongings and valuables, but which is also locked, and the various furnishings and drapery.

* * *

On shore, Teliq slowly backs away from the source of the sounds and is rewarded when whatever it is fails to notice his presence. After a few more moments of backing carefully, Teliq hears the sounds of the animal moving away through the bushes, and is able to resume his gleaning.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 9th of March, 2008, 03:10
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.27 per day)
"Help the durn one who was dumb 'nuff to get his foot bitten off?"

Vilmos starts to grumble, clearly not liking it, but not having much of a choice.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 11th of March, 2008, 07:31
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
With Vilmos' help, it only takes a pair of sailors to load Abaza into one of the cockshells. Meanwhile, the others load the same cockshell with wood and tools until there is only room in it for Vilmos, Abaza, and the two men who are needed to man the oars. They then settle in to arguing over who gets to go back to shore, and who should stay to continue salvaging supplies. In the end, two men are chosen, and the cockshell begins the journey back to shore, clearly slowed by being full of so much cargo and only having two oarsmen instead of four.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 11th of March, 2008, 07:56
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.27 per day)
Volmos gets back, and prepares himself for a fight, spoiling for one. He is clearly agitated, and grumpy, and as everyone knows, dwarves are surly enough when they aren't having a terrible day.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 23:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren