Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Black Plauge's Games > Dünya

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #76  
Unread 18th of January, 2006, 07:56
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
The night passes without incident. Well, okay, that's not entirely true. During Manweh'mato's watch something did fly overhead headed starside, but it was so high up that he couldn't really make out any details as to what it was and it didn't stop, so you could say that the incident was only incidental.

As the group gets underway the next morning, their mounts complain a bit, as they are still tired from yesterday's push. Meat especially makes a stubborn stand about not wanting to go, seeing as he hasn't completely recovered from the encounter with the crocodile, but Skasa is able to convince him with a few gentle words and alot of patience.

Unable to push their mounts very hard, the group nevertheless makes decent time, much better time than if they had been walking, and the road presents few obstacles. Around midday they encounter a trading caravan (really just a wagon full of sealed pottery and driven by two kobolds with a hornless minotaur walking behind) heading towards Kikötõ. The two groups stop to trade plesantries over their midday rations, and the party is able to find out that they are almost caught up to the caravan. In fact, they should catch them that evening, about the same time they reach Bivio and the fork in the road. The kobolds, for their part, seem unconcerned about the raiding party that the halflings and lizardfolk encountered yesterday. They assure the party that their minotaur is more than capable of handling them if they decide to make trouble, but that they will keep their eyes peeled nonetheless.

After saying good bye to the fellow travelers, the party mounts up again and continues on their way. Again, Meat protests a bit, but he seems to have gotten used to the idea of traveling while injured and tired and it takes far less time for Skasa to convince him to move this time.

As Io begins to set and the perpetual twilight of Pelor starts to take over, the party sees a walled town up ahead. As they approach, its apparent that the gates are closed, but a sentry stationed on the gate calls down from above once they are in ear shot.

"You'll have to wait a bit before we can let you in. The captian is still busy checking over the merchant caravan that just got here and assessing their taxes."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman

Last edited by Black Plauge; 19th of January, 2006 at 04:43.
  #77  
Unread 19th of January, 2006, 01:59
My Fellow Gamers's Avatar
My Fellow Gamers
Favored of Orcus

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1506
Location: a rapidly melting Igloo in Canada
Posts: 1,515 (0.31 per day)
" We will wait. Will it be very long? Also, any good Inns or taverns in town? "

Manweh'mato chats for a while with the guard to find out basic information about this town. ((gather info check attempt))
  #78  
Unread 19th of January, 2006, 02:34
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
"It shouldn't be too long. Maybe half a saat at the longest," the guard replies before returning his attention to what is going on inside the wall, where the party can hear two men discussing something.


[OOC: Gather Information 3-1=2 vs. DC 10. Fails. Manweh'mato fails to learn anything about the town. Manweh'mato Listen 1+11=12, Skasa Listen 1+7=8, Soltlak Listen 8+3=11 vs. DC 5. Everyone succeeds and can make out that two people are talking on the other side of the gate, but cannot discern what is being said.]

***

"Sara, Siad," their maenad employer says, calling the two over as the guard captian and the caravan leader move on to the next wagon in the train. "Gemma has informed me that she plans to remain here for two nights, so that she can use tomorrow to trade some of the goods she got in Kikötõ for goods that have come up from the gnoll lands recently. It would seem that she timed things just right and a caravan from the gnoll lands arrived earlier today. Since you are in my employ, I will pay for basic room and board, but any amenities or drinks are up to you. Gemma recomended an inn which caters to us larger folk, and the captian has given us permission to go. I'll warn you now, do not attempt to sell anything here in Bivio. The kobolds take their trade taxes very seriously and the captian was kind enough not to inventory your supplies after I assured him that we were only traveling with the caravan, not trading."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman

Last edited by Black Plauge; 9th of February, 2006 at 11:50.
  #79  
Unread 19th of January, 2006, 04:12
Aethyc's Avatar
Aethyc
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Member: #1582
Posts: 55 (0.01 per day)
"Very well. I did not bring anything to trade and am set for supplies and goods; I will take your warning about trading with these kobolds. I'm assuming I won't need to watch my pockets like in Kikötõ"

Last edited by Black Plauge; 19th of January, 2006 at 04:43.
  #80  
Unread 19th of January, 2006, 04:41
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
"No, your pockets should be relatively safe. Bivio is a smaller town than Kikötõ and less prone to open theft. I wouldn't leave any coins unattended, but the chances of a cut purse relieving you of your coin is relatively small."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #81  
Unread 19th of January, 2006, 10:45
Vaniver's Avatar
Vaniver
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1492
Posts: 102 (0.02 per day)
Soltlak looked around slowly. Bluh. A town. From Soltlak's experiences with towns, they were noisy, loud, deafening, tumultuous, and even cacophonous. They looked bad too, but he had never asked Anselmo about other words that meant ugly. The traveling had been good to him, except for their scuffle with the kobolds, and to join the teeming throng of life again left him jittery. Just imagine your claws in soothing muck, he thought.
  #82  
Unread 19th of January, 2006, 11:28
Jop's Avatar
Jop
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1526
Location: Canada
Posts: 355 (0.07 per day)
Skasa looks up at Soltak... and kinda figures out what he's thinking from his body language...
"Yeah. Me too big guy..."
__________________
I am a Simpsons fish wannabe. You?
  #83  
Unread 20th of January, 2006, 04:40
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
The wait doesn't last nearly as long as the sentry had predicted and fairly soon the two halflings and the lizardman find the gate in front of them opening to reveal a kobold dressed in well polished half-plate, holding a writting board.

"Welcome to Bivio. What buisness do you have here?"

***

Following the maenad's lead away from the gate, Sara and Siad soon find themselves in a small, but well cared for inn. Or rather, it would be considered small by human standards. Its actually one of the larger buildings in town, though that's probably because many of the buildings don't look like they're built to accomodate anything larger than a kobold. It would seem that Bivio's population is fairly homogeneous. Sure, there are signs of larger creatures about, with what probably qualifies as vaulted ceilings on the first floor of some of the obviously more public use buildings, but almost all of the buildings that seem residential are built exclusively to kobold size, giving the impression of a town built to half scale in places.

"Women are on the right of the second floor, men are on the left as you come up the stairs," the kobold innkeeper says as he hands Sara and Said numbered trunk keys. "The trunks at the ends of the beds are numbered, just find the one that matches your key. If you need more space to store your stuff, I've got a strong room down here."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #84  
Unread 20th of January, 2006, 06:08
Aethyc's Avatar
Aethyc
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Member: #1582
Posts: 55 (0.01 per day)
Sara heads up to her room, finding her trunk and putting away what she can. She strips her armor down to fully reduced and heads down to the common area, ordering a common meal. She sits down in a corner, watching the other occupants of the inn go about their business, watching for anything different going on.

(Sara has fully reduced armor, sword and shield with her)
  #85  
Unread 20th of January, 2006, 13:08
Reuban
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member: #1568
Posts: 86 (0.02 per day)
Siad follows Sara up to the rooms and heads off to the left. Finds his truck and stowes his saddlebags. He heads down and sees Sara and wonders over to her table. Orders a meal, and sits about watching the other patrons.
  #86  
Unread 21st of January, 2006, 06:10
Aethyc's Avatar
Aethyc
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Member: #1582
Posts: 55 (0.01 per day)
Speaking in the Human tongue, and trying to keep her conversation private, Sara asks Siad "So, have you heard anything about the troubles the manead has? Maybe some of the patrons here could give us some idea of what we are going up against. I would wager msot of the people here would spill their life story for a couple coins."
  #87  
Unread 21st of January, 2006, 08:47
Vaniver's Avatar
Vaniver
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1492
Posts: 102 (0.02 per day)
"We're looking for a job. We've been following the manead in the caravan ahead... supposedly they're offering something." Soltlak looks at the halflings. "Can you think of anything else?"
  #88  
Unread 21st of January, 2006, 08:54
My Fellow Gamers's Avatar
My Fellow Gamers
Favored of Orcus

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1506
Location: a rapidly melting Igloo in Canada
Posts: 1,515 (0.31 per day)
" No, we were trying to catch up to the Caravan and it seems we did. We have nothing to trade but I would like to get some supplies and arrows. Where can I find that? "

I hope not all these Kobolds are like the ones we encountered on the road. Be careful....don't say too much about that....
  #89  
Unread 22nd of January, 2006, 01:46
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
"The maenad? He's gone on to the Probo Gufo, which is I imagine where you'll want to be staying too," the captian looking up at Soltlak. "Its the only place that'll be able to comfortable accomodate a lizardman. Or rather, the only decent place."

"On the other hand, I'd recomend the Cervo Ballante for you two," he continues, turning his attention to the halflings, "Unlike the Probo Gufo you can get private rooms at a decent rate there. Foods a bit better too."

"If you're not selling, then I just need to know your names and how long you intend to stay. Beyond that, your buisness is your own. I warn you, however, if you're caught selling within the town limits without permission, the tax penalties are severe."

***

The other patrons look strangely at Sara when she returns with her armor stripped down. The looks are more curiosity than anything, however, and they soon return to whatever it was they were doing before Sara came in.

Dinner turns out to be some kind of meat that's been spitted and roasted back in the kitchen. Neither Sara nor Said recognizes the taste, but if pressed they'd probably compare it to chicken, though its quite a bit tougher than that.

As they "study" the common room, it looks much like any other common room they would have expected to find in their homeland, except there wasn't another human to be seen. Instead the patrons are a mix of lizardfolk, hornless minotaurs, and large contingent of gnolls. In one corner a gnome, suprisingly enough, occupies a small platform singing in what Sara recognizes as his native tongue and accompanying himself on a strange stringed instrument that neither have seen before. His song, however, seems to be falling on mostly deaf ears, as none of the patrons seem to be paying that much attention.

In the other corner, a roar goes up at a table. Glancing over, the two humans can see one gnoll reaching into the center of the table and raking in a pot of coins as a couple others gather up the cards with serious frowns on their faces and dwindling piles of coin in front of them. It would seem that at least one of them was having good luck tonight.

All in all, the scene is much like one would expect, but their employer is no where to be found.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #90  
Unread 22nd of January, 2006, 05:14
Jop's Avatar
Jop
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1526
Location: Canada
Posts: 355 (0.07 per day)
Skasa will avoid eye contact and wait for the others to respond before saying anything...
__________________
I am a Simpsons fish wannabe. You?
  #91  
Unread 23rd of January, 2006, 23:28
Reuban
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member: #1568
Posts: 86 (0.02 per day)
In response to Sara's question, Siad glances around the room then turns back to her and says in human, "It is possible that someone here could tell us about Manead ancestors, but I wouldn't count on it. I have as little idea as you do, as to what we are in for. I'm hoping that we get some clarification soon. However, I'll see if I can get any information." (Gather info willing to use up to 5 gold to "grease" the wheels.)

Last edited by Reuban; 23rd of January, 2006 at 23:43.
  #92  
Unread 24th of January, 2006, 03:31
Vaniver's Avatar
Vaniver
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1492
Posts: 102 (0.02 per day)
"I'm Soltlak, and I don't know how long I'll be staying. Probably less than a hafta."

Last edited by Black Plauge; 27th of January, 2006 at 02:58.
  #93  
Unread 24th of January, 2006, 04:28
Aethyc's Avatar
Aethyc
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Member: #1582
Posts: 55 (0.01 per day)
While Siad is asking the other patrons of the inn about the manead, Sara will head out to the town and window shop, looking for any signs of their employer or potential contracts after this job is finished.
  #94  
Unread 25th of January, 2006, 08:36
My Fellow Gamers's Avatar
My Fellow Gamers
Favored of Orcus

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1506
Location: a rapidly melting Igloo in Canada
Posts: 1,515 (0.31 per day)
" I am Manweh'mato and I hope to stay less then a hafta. "

Last edited by Black Plauge; 27th of January, 2006 at 02:59.
  #95  
Unread 25th of January, 2006, 22:28
Jop's Avatar
Jop
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1526
Location: Canada
Posts: 355 (0.07 per day)
Looking up, and not really sure of exactly what he's supposed to do, Skasa answers:
"Skasa"
__________________
I am a Simpsons fish wannabe. You?
  #96  
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 03:03
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Writing down the names, the captian comments "Less than a hafta? I don't suppose you can be more specific than that? Though I suppose that if you're looking for the maenad that just arrived, then you'll be leaving when he plans on leaving. Tell you what, I'm going to put you down for leaving the gün after tomorrow for now, since thats when the maenad said he'd be leaving. If you don't end up leaving with him, then you'll need to come back and let me know what your plans are. Does that sound reasonable?
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #97  
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 04:21
My Fellow Gamers's Avatar
My Fellow Gamers
Favored of Orcus

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1506
Location: a rapidly melting Igloo in Canada
Posts: 1,515 (0.31 per day)
" Yes. We will do as you suggested. We will report back if we end up staying any longer. Thank you. "

Last edited by My Fellow Gamers; 28th of January, 2006 at 02:28.
  #98  
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 05:00
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
"Good then," the captian replies as he makes a couple more notes on his writing board. Glancing up, he notices the group making ready to leave, and quickly speaks up to stop them, "Hold on a sec. Just one more question. Anything unusual happen to you on the way here?"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #99  
Unread 27th of January, 2006, 15:34
My Fellow Gamers's Avatar
My Fellow Gamers
Favored of Orcus

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1506
Location: a rapidly melting Igloo in Canada
Posts: 1,515 (0.31 per day)
" We had some trouble with a giant crocodile that attacked us....."

At least I am not lying about that...
  #100  
Unread 28th of January, 2006, 01:56
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
"The wildlife in the river delta can be problematic at times," the captian agrees, "Unfortunately there isn't much that we can do about that. I was asking more about any bandits that you might have encountered that would interfere with trade. But if the croc was the most notable event on the journey, then I guess you didn't encounter any. Thanks, and have a good stay in Bivio."

Making another note on his writing board, the kobold captian turns and heads into what is undoubtly the gate house, based on its location.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 14:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren