Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Ergonomic Cat's Games > Time for some thrilling heroics

Unread 24th of June, 2011, 06:47
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
Auditions (Character and history discussion)

Originally Posted by Krypton Ooooooh. I wanna be the Captain. Never been captain in the Firefly Universe. I'm thinking a smooth-talking Face sort of captain, rather than a rough and tumble sort.
Originally Posted by SinbadEV Disfigured Tinker:
"Smart Hero" (with build focussed on becoming an Engineer or Techie)

Missing an arm and a leg (replaced with semi-functional low-tech prosthetic arm and leg), chemical type burns on one whole side of the body, eyes replaced with "Nightvision Optics" and combat skills built around staying in the back and sniping.

Would act as the ships engineer, weapon crafter, repair person, hacker and whetever is appropriate to the setting., probably a "functional addict" to painkillers, maybe that Neutrad Dependency thing... personality would be a genial but cynical, gruff... thinking a disillusioned former Federal mechanic from the war... proudly carries his formal discharge papers.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...HaYn2KoGsDXU8w

I view my Cyberarm as just a prosthetic limb that duplicates the functions of a normal arm but shuts down in the case of electrical damage or emp etc... so that shouldn't be too weird and I can wear a greatcoat and leather gloves to hide it's nature.
Originally Posted by 5Solas Sounds like a plan...I'm thinking an "acquirer of antiquities and historical artifacts" that's a jack-of-all trades and can fill in as engineer, pilot, or hired gun though not necessarily expert at any of these areas.
Feel free to carry on discussions here, especially as it relates to:

Prior history. Ship's role. Long term goals. Crew member role.

Originally Posted by 5Solas As to the crew, are we starting before we get together and narrating from the beginning, is this our first run together as a crew or are we established somewhat as a group with a few missions under our belt?
Unread 24th of June, 2011, 08:12
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Member: #1798
Location: North And East, But Not Far Enough East to be French.
Alright, so my 'Verse lore check failed when I referred to the Alliance as "Federal" so forgive any other slip-ups and correct me so I can resolve glitches in my back story... anyways...
basically I'm thinking that my character was likely a pretty good field mechanic until his "accident" which was not his fault and likely involved a combat explosion... he's going to say he "got shot by a tank" if asked.

He would have been discharged from the Alliance army because his injuries rendered him "useless" and have spent a very long time recovering from his injuries and reclaiming and improving his engineering skills. He was initially resentful of the Alliance military for labeling him "a cripple", but being negatively inclined towards the Alliance allowed him to perceive their darker side and eventually decided he was lucky they had let him go.

When he reached a level of recovery where he felt independent and useful again he hitched a ride on a freighter carrying supplies to [some non core planet] hoping to make an honest living without the constant reminders of the Alliance. When the freighter had an engine failure which he was able to juryrig a solution to. He decided that spaceship maintenance was the life for him and he stayed with the crew back to an un-allied port where he found an engineer willing to take him on as an unpaid "apprenticeship" instead of resettling.

At some point in time between then and now he strikes out on his own and meets the crew.

===

Personal preference I think we should all meet in a pub with the captain having recently won the ship in game of chance... having been a "number two" on a ship prior to today... because all campaigns should start in pubs.
Unread 24th of June, 2011, 12:05
5Solas
Ghoul

Member: #7474
My character would be the ship's pilot and an "item seeker" of some repute. He has no real scruples as to what it is he finds, who he finds it for or whom might currently posses it though he has a true love for the history and rarity of the item itself. He also might (or might not) be known to detect forgeries or pass forgeries off as the real deal to larger collectors.

Possible meeting scenarios might be getting a contract to retrieve something from the ship and being caught red handed by the Captain and being somehow pressed into service offered a position or being broke after a good deal gone very bad and needing to get away in a hurry and make some money to replace the losses. Of course, to meet the required pub scenario, he could also over hear their meeting and simply have an anterior reason for joining (aforementioned job or loss).

Just some thoughts.
Unread 24th of June, 2011, 20:56
GIJ00
Ghoul

Member: #7593
My character would be the ship's doctor, and being from the Core he's quite well versed in cybernetic surgery (possible tie to Sinbad?). I'm thinking he's a former Alliance surgeon who had a change of heart (it's that pesky whole do no harm thing) and is now out and about in the 'verse and trying to do some good. As he has no idea where to start, signing on with a crew seems like a logical choice.
Unread 24th of June, 2011, 22:23
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

</sarcasm>We met on a "cyberarm enthusiasts" forum and wanted to meet in person?</sarcasm>

I think we should discuss potential "goals"... for example if the GIJ00's Good Doctor is out in the black with the intention of giving free healthcare to the needy he's going to be put out when we start committing self-serving crimes.

If we have some kind of unifying "Robin Hood and his band of Merry Mercenaries" concept going on, steal from the rich, give to the poor, take jobs in between to keep solvent... then I feel like 5Solas's Retrieval Expert will be working at cross purposes.

My character just wants "his own ship" to take care of to make himself feel useful... so he'll fit into either case.

I suppose some of this will come down to the story Ergonomic Cat wants to run... but it sounds like at this point he's moderately open minded on the subject.

Also, I think I'm going to call my Character "Henry".

Also, Also, Are we good for player numbers?

We didn't lose Krypton did we? Did he take Captain?
Unread 25th of June, 2011, 07:56
GIJ00
Ghoul

Well I think that having characters that may not see eye to eye on everything makes for a good story, hell just look at the series. Now yes, I agree with you on the whole goals thing, but if they don't mesh just perfectly it simply makes for a better story is all (provided nobody shoots anyone in the head).

As for free healthcare to the masses, while the character may be something of an idealist, he does recognize that without money, the ship don't fly. However, I do see him trying to act as a moral compass of sorts in regards to what jobs they take and how they do them (IE let me get up on my soap box here...).
Unread 25th of June, 2011, 08:15
5Solas
Ghoul

I agree in that cross-purposes can help create necessary tension as well as make for more exciting roleplay but yes, we do want to make sure that we're not too disparate here. Sinbad, if Krypton Jio Weh Sung Chiuhs, I nominate you for the Captaincy. I can (and would happily do it if you'd like) but it sounds like you have a bit of plan put in for just this Ma Fuhn.

I vote for starting the adventure with everyone coming together either at a central location via postings for crew on Santo which incidentally is a gambling planet and would be a perfect backdrop for the arc that Krypton won the ship (legitimately or not, I'll leave up to him).
Unread 26th of June, 2011, 01:33
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Member: #7768
Heh. Sorry guys, we're transitioning at work, and that means I'm especially busy just now, closing one project, opening another. Anyway, I'm still around. Just computing primarily on nights and weekends.

I'm especially fine with the idea I won the ship gambling - it was what I was planning anyway. Reading the mind of strangers over the internet is very rude, you know.

Morris Arsaid is the classic tall, dark, and unfairly handsome personified. In flight school, the women wanted to be with him, and the men wanted to be him. As if his looks weren't unfair enough, he was charming, personable, likeable, smart, and top in the class in his flight tests. Of course, he knew all these things were true, and behaved accordingly - entirely certain he was untouchable.

All that came to a stop when his little head dragged him into the bed of his attractive female flight instructor, who was everything he sought in a woman, physically - olive skinned, doe eyed, full breasted and curvaceous. With an unfortunate twist of luck, the woman's husband interrupted them mid-coitus, and the scandal rocked Londinum and the Core Planets' Society pages. Morris' father, a struggling soap star cursed with the family's luck, bought him passage on a small ship, and then promptly informed him never to come back, and not to call. And if he would be so kind as to stop using the family name, Wallace, that would probably be in everyone's best interests.

For a short time, Morris was lost with what to do. He drifted from colony to colony, picking up what work he could as a pilot or mechanic. But work there was few and far between, and poverty didn't suit him in the least. He was too pretty to be poor.

He caught on with the crew of the Sylvia, captained by the notorious captain Horatio Blyleven. He worked with them for a spell, piloting the Sylvia long enough to learn the hard truth of the 'Verse - Sometimes, rich was fuel in the tank and somewhere to be in a week.

They found themselves on Santo, and Morris found himself in a 5-card stud game for stakes he had no business playing for, with people who didn't like to lose. And he crushed the table, including winning one perfectly fine spaceship - The Second Chance.
To the Arena! To the Death!
Unread 26th of June, 2011, 05:32
5Solas
Ghoul

Completely understood Krypton. Also, I'll be sure to turn off my ESPviaWiFi while roaming these boards...starts as a Windows process and I forget about it sometimes.

As to characters, great background and it should allow for some helpful side story though a "problem" I see is that we now have two pilots on board (the other being yours truly). Are you planning on being the Captain and pilot or just Captain? There's nothing wrong at all with two people sharing similar skills but I could also easily rework my character to incorporate traits other than pilot to help fill in any gaps the crew has. Thoughts?
Unread 26th of June, 2011, 05:44
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Member: #7768
Just Captain, though I was a pilot before. Having two guys who can drive things is always helpful, should we need to pull a crazy Ivan. As I'll just be dabbling, I doubt I'll be stepping on any toes with my more limited piloting skills.
To the Arena! To the Death!
Unread 26th of June, 2011, 06:21
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

... so maybe Henry is enjoying a drink with GIJ00, who wanted to look at his cool mechanical arm... and nearby Morris wins a Ship from people "who didn't like to lose", while Minnasota has folded out of the hand ...
Unread 26th of June, 2011, 08:57
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by Krypton # Just Captain, though I was a pilot before. Having two guys who can drive things is always helpful, should we need to pull a crazy Ivan. As I'll just be dabbling, I doubt I'll be stepping on any toes with my more limited piloting skills.
Also, someone's got to fly the Mule....

I'm very much open at this point. If y'all don't have a specific purpose, I certainly have a story that I can thrust upon you without much issue.

I'm fine with four players. I'll work with Krypton a bit on the ship and the character. Right now it looks like you have pilot, captain, medic and mechanic, which is really all that you need to set out. I'll likely add a couple NPCs to flesh out the crew, and provide me a nice GM Fiat option, once we're a bit farther in. Unless things go differently than I'd imagine they will, I have the perfect NPC for y'all.

His name is Dallas. He's the ship's muscle, as well as the cook. He has a vast repetoire of dishes he provides, ranging from "biscuits with gravy" through "biscuits with chili" and ending at "chili with gravy." One of them is not necessarily haute cuisine. He's a former bare knuckles boxing champ who became a victim of his own success, and fell out of the ring quickly when he refused to throw a fight (although he did, in point of fact, throw a fight *promoter*. Through a window. Only 2nd story, though). He's good people.

It's possible his on again, off again girlfriend Kitten Malloy may join. She's a bit, shall we say, earthy, but she's got contacts in a number of places that are helpful, and a few more that you hope you'll never find out about....
Unread 26th of June, 2011, 10:19
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by Ergonomic Cat # I have the perfect NPC for y'all.
Does he come with the ship? Like he refuses to leave "his" kitchen when the former crew vacates?
Unread 27th of June, 2011, 21:00
5Solas
Ghoul

Hmm...not sure it eh 'verse is ready for a crew with two city/state names but we'll see if they can handle. Crazy Ivan, absolutely. Mule, we'll see.

Sinbad, excellent idea with both the poker game and Dallas "coming" with the ship. Could lead to some interesting plot hooks.

As to our first mission, here's my stab:

"A convoy of Alliance ships went missing during the war. Seems the crew members of several of the ships were afflicted by a mysterious disease. Due to the rapid spread of the deadly sickness, the ships were abandoned and in the confusion of the war and the enforced peace that followed, the location and information about convoy was filed away and forgotten.The ships were never recovered though every now and again you’ll run across someone who’s heard about a lost convoy from his uncle’s wife’s brother’s aunt's college roomate, who seemed to recall hearing the story. But you won’t find anything in the history books and you won’t find anyone in the Alliance who claims to know anything about it. Until now."
Unread 27th of June, 2011, 21:32
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by 5Solas # As to our first mission, here's my stab: "...lost convoy..."
Yay! A Chance to use my "Salvage" ability.
Unread 28th of June, 2011, 05:53
5Solas
Ghoul

Don't say I never gave you anything.
Unread 28th of June, 2011, 09:15
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by SinbadEV # Does he come with the ship? Like he refuses to leave "his" kitchen when the former crew vacates?
"Gorram it! I finally got biscuits secreted 'bout this damn place just where I need 'em, and got the pots just right for cookin'. I'll be twice-cussed if I'm leavin' now. You ain't got a cook neitherways, so we'll just pretend we're all close friends, kay?"

So are we all good with the games starting shortly after The Second Chance has been acquired? And I can totally run with that idea, if y'all are good with it. That's a rather derring-do sort of a thing - setting out for the secretest of secrets on your first run together. Kinda thing that makes a crew. Also the kinda thing that makes a dead crew.
Unread 28th of June, 2011, 09:59
GIJ00
Ghoul

Sounds good to me mate.
Unread 28th of June, 2011, 19:57
5Solas
Ghoul

Originally Posted by Ergonomic Cat # "...Kinda thing that makes a crew. Also the kinda thing that makes a dead crew.
I'll take that as a challenge! Ready to start whenever you all are.
Unread 28th of June, 2011, 20:24
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

I was thinking the game would start with the hands being revealed and us all rp-ing our meeting and becoming a crew... But i supposed if we've worked that out we can move on... Really, at this point i'm just getting excited to get started!

(DID YOU KNOW THIS FORUM CORRECTS "ALL CAPS"... NO FUN AT ALL ON ALL CAPS DAY)
Unread 28th of June, 2011, 20:36
5Solas
Ghoul

Hmm...it could go either way, really. I have no problem with rping the final hand and then everyone getting on the ship or we could also start with the ship leaving atmo, everyone still very wary of each other as we've only been together for less than a week.

No, no fun allowed here. Policy and all, you understand.