Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Mercutio's Games > Pirates of the Spanish Main

Unread 20th of June, 2010, 22:05
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Nice, Darius. And you picked one of the best pirates in cinema history for your picture.

Diplomat is probably best used as Quartermaster, but z's laid claim to that position.

But us'n can solve this 'ere conundrum wit' one shot. Here be two pistols. Back-to-back, ya's walk five paces. At me whistle, ya's turn an' shoot. That man that draws first blood be winnin' an' shall be me Quartermaster.

Other suggestions include Boatswain (pronounced bo'sun, for any who wonder) who is directly in charge of the crew and its efficiency and morale, or a musician--not an official position, but leading sea shanties and religious rites aren't that far apart.
Unread 20th of June, 2010, 22:13
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
So the fact that I soaked z's charges beforehand won't be held against me?

I'l take bo'sun. Might drop a few ranks out of diplomacy, but was going to max intimidate anyway.

And let's face it, Rathbone was always way more badass than that nancy boy Flynn.
Unread 21st of June, 2010, 00:27
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Doom, are you super-set on being a doctor? I am more interested in the 'wilderness expert' aspect of my character.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 21st of June, 2010, 09:21
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I did some cleaning/editing of the Buccaneer class and submitted it to http://www.pathfinderdb.com/ for approval. Not sure how long it takes before they put it up, but once it does, I'll link it here.* I changed the name to Pirate because there's already a Buccaneer class listed and I didn't want to step on any toes.

*Stupid me did some editing there and forgot to save it on my native file...so until it goes live, there are a few small edits that I just didn't keep track of.

<----Retard.

Last edited by Mercutio; 21st of June, 2010 at 09:24.
Unread 21st of June, 2010, 12:08
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
I'll have to think about it treehouse. Like I said earlier, I don't have any concepts that are really screaming at me; doctor just seems to best fit my natural inclinations. I don't want to take your role from you, so let me think on it a bit, and I'll see if we can work something out.
Unread 21st of June, 2010, 12:14
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Don't worry about it - Merc just gave me the go-ahead to play a completely different concept. Doctor is freed up.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 21st of June, 2010, 22:14
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Hrhm... I also thought about going for rogue... maybe even rogue/assassin!

Career: thin male scullion with deft hands and a quick mind who moved up in rank rather quickly after he learned where it really hurt from the ship's doctor.

But maybe I'll just go for a fighter type. Hrhm...
Edit: Just saw the rules on armor - bucaneer is much more interesting in that case.

Note: I'm pretty busy this week and have to work all weekend so it's going to be a while until I'm ready`('cause I need to post in the games I'm already playing in first). Any idea when you want to get this off the ground, Merc?

Last edited by Tashalar; 21st of June, 2010 at 22:21.
Unread 22nd of June, 2010, 02:26
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Okay, the Pirate class is live at Pathfinder Database - http://www.pathfinderdb.com/characte...ses/735-pirate

You guys can still call it Buccaneer or whatever you want. I only renamed it to Pirate because there was already a Buccaneer in the system there. Note that I have one editing error that's at pathfinderdb that I have fixed in the entry here in Buccaneer's Code.

Last edited by Mercutio; 22nd of June, 2010 at 03:02.
Unread 22nd of June, 2010, 02:29
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by Tashalar # Hrhm... I also thought about going for rogue... maybe even rogue/assassin!

Career: thin male scullion with deft hands and a quick mind who moved up in rank rather quickly after he learned where it really hurt from the ship's doctor.

But maybe I'll just go for a fighter type. Hrhm...
Edit: Just saw the rules on armor - bucaneer is much more interesting in that case.

Note: I'm pretty busy this week and have to work all weekend so it's going to be a while until I'm ready`('cause I need to post in the games I'm already playing in first). Any idea when you want to get this off the ground, Merc?
When I get everyone with character sheets and ready to post. That'll be a little while, I suspect, which is good because it gives me more time to plan and prepare.
Unread 22nd of June, 2010, 08:24
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

FYI, if you want to incorporate this into your backstories, the island of St. Kitts was a French haven in the Caribbean, one of the few they still had by the time period we're dealing with. Most of the French expansionism was tied up in Canada by this point, but King Louis had held onto the island like a desperate man. When they started to lose ground in North America to the British, and over a huge section of Europe, they signed the Treaty of Utrecht (other signatories include the British and Spanish--they were interested in a very European concept, the balance of power), in 1713. This Treaty meant the French would cede some control in North America to the Brits, and agreed to increased trade with the Indian tribes in the Hudson Bay and Saint Lawrence river areas. It also meant they had to give up St. Kitts to the British.

Your captain, Olivier Levasseur (La Buse - The Buzzard) was given a Letter of Marque by Louis XIV, but when the Treaty of Utrecht was signed, instead of returning home to France, and leaving his adopted home of St. Kitts, turned to piracy. He has a horrific scar crossing his right eye, which, while not totally blinding that eye, has limited his sight.

An extraordinarily bright man, and skilled captain, La Buse has his own alphabetic cipher* for keeping notes and ship's logs. The man is fair and equitable to his whole crew, and despite his hatred of the British Empire, has no such disgust for individual citizens of the realm. His egalitarian attitude has left him with perhaps the most diverse crew in all piratedom, as they hail from just about every developed nation, including French Canada, Italy, Scotland, Portugal, and the American colony of the Carolinas (and wherever else your characters hail from). He even has a freed slave onboard as his personal guard, Black Caesar, a prominent tribal war chieftain who was tricked onboard a slave trader's ship with promises of watches and gold, but met only pistols and cutlasses.

* EC - I'll grant you a bonus language, Levasseur Script, since you're going to play the Navigator. It's not a spoken language, just written, and, like the Thieves Cant and Sylvan languages of D&D, any discussion of disseminating the language will be met with death. This way you can read the charts and logs that La Buse keeps and also keep logs in the same manner. Incidentally, to this day Levasseur's script has never been broken. Suspicions are that it relies on a key that was lost at sea with one of his ships. It's triple encoded through a rebus, and scholars have broken two of the codes, but without the last key, they're unable to break the last part. And, if you've read The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, you'd recognize the term rebus as being a code system used extensively by the Freemasons, which, obviously, makes Levasseur a Mason as well.
Unread 22nd of June, 2010, 09:02
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
Yay, bonus language!

Hey Merc, I have a question. Can I wield a Wheelock pistol and a dagger at the same time? And can I then, using a full attack, attack with the pistol and two hits with the dagger?

What about wielding/shooting two pistols at the same time?
Unread 22nd of June, 2010, 09:07
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

In answer to both questions -- Yes, but it counts as Two-Weapon fighting, with a pistol being considered a light weapon, so the penalties would apply.

Also, if you're firing the pistol in melee, it's just like using any ranged weapon in melee range--that is, it provokes an Attack of Opportunity.
Unread 22nd of June, 2010, 09:11
Explosive Cheese

Okay, thanks.

Also, with Rapid Reload, I need just one full action to reload a single pistol, right?
Unread 22nd of June, 2010, 09:28
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Yes. A full action takes a full round.

And even that is unrealistically fast. Reloading a pistol once a minute (10 rounds!) is really fast for the time period.
Unread 23rd of June, 2010, 03:24
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

This is still rough (roughly 2 hours of work), but this will be your main home at least for the start of the game.

The forward section is where the mates all sleep (that'd be most of you), with the captain and doctor in the aft section. The rest of the crew sleeps below, some in the hold and some in the gun deck. There'll be two small decks above the one pictured - the poop deck is above the captain's cabin and the forecastle (pronounced foc'sle) deck above the mates' cabin.

The ship itself is hand drawn (including the wood decking, which is why it looks like crap), and the water texture is from CGTextures.

Last edited by Mercutio; 23rd of June, 2010 at 03:27.
Unread 23rd of June, 2010, 04:20
Doombot

Is there going to be a strongly enforced system of rank in this setting, or is it going to be like most pirate movies, where thar be a captain and a first mate, and the rest be scurvy dogs?
Unread 23rd of June, 2010, 04:57
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

It's not so much rank as it is position, training, and ability.

Doctors have specific tools and need a place to keep them. In addition, they're actually (usually) captured and forced to work or else just happen to have the most skills with hand tools (like carpenters and coopers), but since you're playing the doctor it's up to you.

I see it like this--PCs are likely mates (check the share distribution I laid out in the code), but in reality it's a difference of a quarter share of the plunder.

Remember, pirates are egalitarian to the point of anarcho-syndicalism (yay Monty Python reference) and everything is put to a vote, majority rules, with the captain as tie-breaker. But everyone has one vote, and if the captain or a mate breaks a rule or violates a group decision, the crew takes matters into its own hands. Captains can be marooned, hanged, or simply stripped of position and made regular crew.

Last edited by Mercutio; 23rd of June, 2010 at 04:59.
Unread 23rd of June, 2010, 05:07
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Also of note - the Code I wrote is not hard and fast. As ship's crew, you all have a say in the agreed upon code. So if you want to change something, add or deleted articles, etc, this is a good place to decide upon them.

I will lay down one hard rule - no more than 2 nor less than 1.5 shares for the captain. The other share distribution issues you can decide upon. Like, if the ship's doctor is also the carpenter, that line would change.
Unread 23rd of June, 2010, 05:22
Darius

Already discussed this with Merc- but as Emilio is going to be the bo'sun, I have him whip proficiency and focused on Improved Trip and Improved Disarm. I'll be staying back behind the reast of you hearties and working some field control.
Unread 23rd of June, 2010, 20:42
Doombot

Things ought to free up a bit for me after this weekend, so I'll try to get something up next week.
Unread 24th of June, 2010, 00:11
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Glad to hear it.

Question for you all--I intend to try to be realistic in terms of enemies, politics, and other issues of the time, but to still keep the cinematic flair of "PIRATES!" from movies and pop culture. Since it is no magic for PCs, I don't want to delve into fantasy, at least not too much. "Here be seamonsters" is still very much a product of the time though. Especially considering things like Kraken, mermaids, will o'wisps, and the Flying Dutchman. Would you like to completely avoid such paranormal (but cinematic) encounters in favor of true realism (pirates robbing, murdering, whoring, and avoiding ships-of-the-line)? Be advised that if the paranormal things do occur they would make up freak and rare encounters in the game, and movie-realism would still be the cornerstone of the game.

I have mixed feelings either way. I realize the the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are very much a part of pop culture and are fun. And they have paranormal encounters, but what makes them succeed is that they have true human interactions and some realistic fighting. But at the same time, I don't want to capture Pirates of the Caribbean as a game world because it tends to push too much into fantasy.

Thoughts?
Unread 24th of June, 2010, 00:32
Explosive Cheese

I vote for the "some fantastic monsters" setting. I'm not usually much into very realistic games (or books/movies), as what I get out from Roleplaying (and fiction) is the opportunity to experience things completely different. But that's just me.
Unread 24th of June, 2010, 00:43
Darius

I am all for sea serpents, giant squids (goes double if you don't call them Kraken- we're pirates, not Vikings), the Flying Dutchman, mermaids, and the Black Spot.

I am against undead skeletal pirates. Does that help?
Unread 24th of June, 2010, 00:56
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by Darius # I am all for sea serpents, giant squids (goes double if you don't call them Kraken- we're pirates, not Vikings), the Flying Dutchman, mermaids, and the Black Spot.

I am against undead skeletal pirates. Does that help?
It does indeed. And it's kind of the direction I would prefer.

I don't want to do fantasy, but there are aspects of the time period that are included in the pirate histories.
Unread 24th of June, 2010, 01:51
Doombot

Sounds good to me. Leviathan stew, anyone?