Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Saint Alphonzo's Games > Mercury Ascending

Unread 16th of May, 2002, 09:55
TheCrookedPath
Ghoul

Member: #61
Let's meet the crew.

Ok, maybe I'm out of line, but each of you has played well enough, and quirky enough, to prod my curiosity awake. That, and in spite of how great this story is going, (or maybe because of it) I find it odd to play with people I don't know at all.

So, I thought maybe I'd put up a thread for everyone to say hi and a little about themselves. Mind you, I did this without the Fonze's permission, and I will understand if he deletes this and has a pterodactyl eat my character. But I digress.

Feel free to tell what you want, and leave what you want out. If you don't feel comfy telling strange internet people about yourself, then just pop in and say something witty and cryptic.

I'm Jake, and I'm a 23 year old college student in Ohio. I do a lot of job hopping, but most recently I am a security guard, and a truck loader for United Parcel Service. I'm also a member of the Army National Guard. (For you non-yanks, that like State Militia.)

I enjoy martial arts, chess, and tinkering with computers(I built the one I'm on now...it's only got a 28k modem, but heck, it's free, and I'm here typing, aren't I?).

I'm not a big sports fan, but I'll watch boxing and football (real football, not American).

Most importantly, I love the Game. Doesn't really matter what game, just whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Pen and paper, PC, Console, board game, you name it.

I also love a good story. Cheesy fantasy fiction, to The Stand, to The Tempest, to Pride and Prejudice, and so on. Those last two loves bred my love of RPGs, I think.

Ok....I think that's about it...

Last edited by TheCrookedPath; 27th of July, 2002 at 05:18.
Unread 16th of May, 2002, 11:13
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

Member: #35
Excellent idea Crooked, or should I say...Jake. :-)

My name is Justin. I am 21. I am graduating college with a BS in Computer Information Systems in 4 days.

I am working currently doing web development / application devleopment / IT support / everything else computer related with a small industrial consulting firm. I've self-taught myself about a dozen different computer languages which I use almost everyday.

I am using those paychecks to save up enough money to leave the house by the end of the summer.

Uhh...let's see...

I am a very intellectual-based person. I don't really like physical things too much. I end up spending about 16 hours a day in front of a computer. I play lots of games, roleplaying, hanging out in coffee shops (I have a horrible caffeine addiction).

I read a lot, both fiction and non-fiction. I really like Science Fiction (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the source of the 42 at the end of my handle) in the fiction and philosophy or sociology in the non-fiction (and if you've never read Rand's Atlas Shrugged I highly recommend it).

I also play chess, board games, cards, online games, roleplaying games, real-time strategy games, etc. Right now I am highly addiction to Age of Empires PC game.

Well, that's about all there is to know about me. Oh, and I'm extremely sarcastic to the point where no one ever knows when I'm serious.

That's me. How about the rest of you? And Saint Alf, don't think yr precluded...
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 00:51
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

Member: #57
"I'm a god. I'm not the God... I don't think."
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 00:58
osiris
Ghoul

Member: #106
Ugh, okay let's see. I'm a genuine paranoid, so this is going to be tough.

Name's Alex, I'm 26 years old, and work for a pretty big computer corporation (for not nearly enough money) in quality assurance and tech support, whilst finishing up a degree in CS.

I'm also a bit of a martial arts enthusiast... I used to enjoy Judo and Tae Kwon Do, but a knee injury has limited me to styles that focus on the upper body -- most recently Kendo and Iai-do (hence, my and Zack's obsession with Japanese swordsmanship). Of course, I never get to behead vampires at the Dojo...

I really enjoy role-playing, but haven't gotten to do it much recently-- no time. I'm usually the GM for our group... my first love is Cyberpunk, but most of the gamers I've been playing with seem to prefer fantasy, so that's usually what we do. I'm trying to get together a big CP game, but need to find an interested group of players (hey, maybe I could run it here...). We finally had a pick-up (fantasy) game last night, which is why I was out till the wee hours of the morning and am falling asleep at the keyboard here at work. I'm the only person in the office who hasn't seen Star Wars Part 2 yet. I'm now going to post this before my rampant paranoia forces me to delete the whole thing and put some cryptic statement instead.
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 02:04
TheCrookedPath
Ghoul

Justin- AOE Rocks, although I never get to play the newer versions...my friends here are die-hard Starcraft fans.

Alex- (slap on the shoulder) Good job, I know that was hard. The Closest to Cyberpunk I've played is a brief shadowrun game, but I'd be all for it if I could get ahold of the rules. Tae Kwon Do was my first style, but I found it too direct...I've moved on to Aikido and Tai Chi.

<commits their information to memory, so that he may stalk and kill them in the future.>
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 02:27
osiris
Ghoul

I've played Shadowrun, but left with a bad taste. It could be that I had a bad GM, or just that I'm too much of a CP purist (Neuromancer is my bible), so elves running around with tactical neural implants kinda turned me off.

I've been getting into Starcraft lately... I came across the whole "Battle Chest" for $20, so I couldn't resist. In fact, it's been a motivating force behind my latest sci-fi gaming endeavors. But I don't think the Protoss and Zerg are going to fit that well into a Cyberpunk setting...

I've been interested in Aikido for a while, but have never studied it. What do you think of it? Is it hard on the legs (or specifically, the knees)? I'd be interested in Tai Chi as well, mostly for the sword forms, but again, haven't studied it.

<reads the last line in Jake's post, then goes and starts lining his windows with tin foil and using a cigarette lighter to burn off his own fingerprints>
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 04:29
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

starcraft is a great game as well - but aoe is like tenfold more complex and awesome

i've been desperate to get my hands on the cyberpunk rules...what is the best way to do this, if any?

i took martial arts at one time - Tai Kwan Do - but like i said, i'm not a physical person

it seems that everyone that has posted so far can find there way around a computer - that's cool

we should start a post for geek-talk :-)

justin
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 06:00
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Member: #109
Jake - We'll have to play a game of chess sometime. I love it and need the practice. :-) The only requirement is it has to be on one of my good days. When I'm in a bad mood, I tend to not think about any move I make. Heh.

Justin - By horrible caffeine addiction, you mean that coffee has actually replaced all of the blood in your veins. That's what you meant to say, right? ;-)

Oh and you, sarcastic?? Never noticed.

Osiris - what's Cyberpunk?

Ok, I guess I'll move on to myself. I like to talk a lot. Especially when it's about myself. So be prepared. ;-)

First of all, I'll be the first that will break the whole computer thing. While I know my way around a computer and it's basics, that's as far as it goes for me. I know basic HTML and coding for my webpages and I love web design. I use Photoshop all the time.

I also don't really play any computer or video games. I've heard of most of the ones mentioned because my friends and family play them but I've never really had the interest for them.

I've never done any martial arts and I've only done sports with friends or in gym, with the exception of being swimming manager in 9th grade. I've started going to a gym recently but I'm no where near what you would call a physical person.

I do watch a couple sports though. I absolutely love Baseball (Go Red Sox!) And tennis is another sport I enjoy watching.

And now I'll actually tell you my name. :-) It's Malorie and I'm 16 years old. I'm a junior in high school and jobless until school ends this year. When I do get a job it will be the typical part time crappy one. I'm hoping for the local ice cream place but I'll take any paying job. ;-) I basically get straight A's in school, I'm in the NHS and so on. My favorite subject in school is History. I love everything that has to do with it. Government, World History (Past and Present), U.S. History, Politics, etc. I want to major in Political Science in college and right now I want to be a lawyer. That's subject to change of course. American University is my dream school right now but I haven't seen it in person yet, so that's also subject to change.

I love playing chess. I started 3 or so years ago and I've really improved. I actually beat Justin once in a while now. ;-)

I also like reading the sunday newspaper. My Dad only gets that and the thursday, so I spend the entire week going through everything in Sundays.

Surfing the internet is something I do often as well. I visit a lot of different sites. There's a posting board I talk on, the three writing things I'm involved in, news sites, art sites, music sites, etc.

I love to read. I read everything I can get my hands on. Non-fiction, fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, philosophy, horror, biography, plays, etc. You name it and I'll read it. I like Ayn Rand as well. Atlas Shrugged is my favorite book.

I'm actually reading way too many books at the moment. Hiroshima by John Hersey for school. Insomnia by Stephen King, The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Revolutionary Voices: A Multicultural Queer Youth Anthology edited by Amy Sonnie.

I'm an artist. I have a drafting table in my room and I paint with acrylics or watercolor. Pastels are one of my favorite mediums. I also just sketch and draw with pencil. I mentioned web design before as well. And I love photography. I don't have a decent camera at the moment but it's something I'd like to pursue. Take classes or something.

Above all I'm a singer. Singing is my passion. I'm in the chorus in my school and also in a 20 member by-audition group called Madrigals. And outside of that, I just sing for myself, at home, in the shower, outside, while I'm listening to headphones, etc. all the time.

I love movies. Going to the theaters is one of my favorite pasttimes. Renting them isn't bad either. My favorite director is Baz Luhrmann, my favorite movie being his most recent, Moulin Rouge. But again, I like all sorts of genres and types of movies.

I'm obsessed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I know everything about that show and have seen every single episode. And I talk about it way too much. :-)

Speaking of TV, I love Comedy Central. Kids in the Hall may be the funniest show ever. Jon Stewart is one of the funniest people ever. I've also recently gotten into Anime. Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite shows now. I'm a mild TV watcher and there are a few shows out there that really grab me.

I'm also obsessed with musicals. My favorite is the Phantom of the Opera. I know it by heart and started acting it out and singing to it with my best friend when we were 4. I just recently saw it for the first time this year at a local theater. I listen to the 2 Disc London Cast recording I have of it at least once a week.

Music in general is a huge love of mine. I like so many different kinds and have way too many favorite bands/singers. :-) I'm almost always listening and/or singing to something.

I'm a perfectionist and one of those anal retentive people who makes a list for everything. Everything of mine has to be in it's place and so on.

I like to write. I'm currently writing in three things online, including this game, a DnD game that just started and a story I'm writing with a bunch of other people. I also write poetry and short stories. I try to write lyrics but I'm no good at it. :-) I'm also in two other DnD games in real life which I really enjoy but don't play often enough.

This is just me rambling about myself though, something I love to do. :-) If you'd like to see any specifics, you can go here:

http://mal.coffeegeek.net/about.html

It was a part of my old page, which is no longer up. You can find any specifics there about me. Basic stats, favorites (movies, shows, actors, artists, writers), likes/dislikes, my CD list and my mp3 list (both of which have been added to since I updated those lists a couple of months ago).

But I'm sure this has all been more than enough that you wanted to know about me. :-)

BTW, this was a great idea Jake. :-D

Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 06:38
osiris
Ghoul

Justin-- I haven't tried AOE, but if it's that cool, I'll certainly check it out. That's all I need... another video game addiction...

As for Cyberpunk rules, I use the various GURPS books. They work out pretty well-- I'm just a big fan of the GURPS system. Cyberpunk 2020 rules are hard to come by anymore... I've seen some books on Ebay, and at a really cool used book store we have around here, but that's about it.

I love programming (C++ and Java are my prefered langs right now), but I'm still a far cry from a full-fledged geek. More like a geekling, or geek-aspirant. But I'm working on it... I've been trying to learn Debian Linux (ARGH!!!), and I figure if I can, I'll have passed some sort of Geek Right of Passage.

Malorie-- Cyberpunk is a kind of sci-fi. The first "true" Cyberpunk novel was Neuromancer by William Gibson... he also coined the term "Cyberspace." It's usually set in the near future, and very dark and gritty. Anime like Akira and Ghost in the Shell and movies like Robocop and Blade Runner are Cyberpunk.
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 10:45
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

Well Alex, if you've been coding in Java and C++ you are certainly geek enough in my book. I know about a dozen different languages, but those aren't on my list. I use a lot of internet-based languages: PHP, Coldfusion, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, ehh.........SQL.....there's plenty of others but I can't remember. oh, and linux is cool...you should learn it - it will come in handy i guarantee...

and, if anyone is interested in a boring site which me and my colleague just completely revamped, check out:
http://www.newstandardinstitute.com
bear in mind, very boring content

oh, and about Cyberpunk and GURPS, can you do me a favor and tell me exactly what books i would need to get Cyberpunk running in a GURPS-based system, cause I've never used either before...

justin
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 13:26
osiris
Ghoul

Let's see... to get a Cyberpunk game going in GURPS, you'd really only need the Basic Set for the general rules and the Cyberpunk sourcebook for genre-specific rules. If you want a pre-made setting, Cyberworld and Transhuman Space are both pretty good. Ultra-Tech and Bio-Tech have lots of gadgets and cyberware, but also a lot of "pulp sci-fi" stuff that won't be that useful. The thing about GURPS is that they don't do too much of the work for you. They usually don't go into great detail on any particular setting, but they give you lots of options for filling in the details or making your own setting.

Well, C++ and Java are pretty close, so it's almost like only knowing 1 language. And mind you, I'm not a wiz by any stretch, I'm still learning the finer points. I'd like to learn SQL as well, but I've been too lazy--er--busy here lately.

(I can't deny being a role-playing geek, though...)
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 13:55
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

huh - i looked into gurps a bit and it seems that the cyberpunk rules books are out of print :-(

i can't say i don't know Java and C++ cause I know the syntax, class rules, etc...but i don't feel comfortable with them because I never have a need to use them...i loose it with pointers in C++ and abstract classes in Java :-)

for application development of the rapid nature we use Visual Basic where i work

oh no - now you've got me started talking geek boring nonsense :-)
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 23:08
TheCrookedPath
Ghoul

Malorie, I'd love to play you in chess sometime. I was First Board on my high school chess team, but it was a VERY BAD chess team. And I haven't played but 20 times in the last 4 years since. Still, if you would like to beat me, you can sign up for a Yahoo ID and we can play at their website, sometime.

Alex- Aikido isn't half as hard on the body as the more linear styles...as long as you have a nice mat to land on. As far as Tai Chi' Chuan, I've been learning it as a meditative style, and have just now gotten to defense applications. Still, the stances are easy, and the movements really flow...it concentrates a lot on economy of movement.

Justin- I do so wish I had some access to programming trianing. My comp experience so far has been with my genius-friend, who is also my college proffessor. He's 19, and just finished his last certification for Cisco...alas, he's mostly a networking guru, and I have no interest in that, other than running cable for him. And the only programming aids I've found online are for Visual Basic, which I've found to be a blast.

Oh...as for Age of Empires.....You might be happier with Starcraft, Alex. AoE is steeped in historical lore, although there isn't much difference between the civilizations you choose from. I like it because I'm an Anthropology major, and I like to look at the different architecture as my army advances, and just like the "feel" of it. I must say the graphics are better and the play faster as well.
Unread 18th of May, 2002, 00:12
osiris
Ghoul

Out of print?!? What a ripoff!! Well, they reprint their "classic" books every so often, so you might still be able to find them. I bet you could find them on Ebay or somewhere on the 'web. You -could- make do with just the Basic Set, Ultra-Tech and Ultra-Tech 2, which I'm sure are still in print. I could take a look around here and see if I can find them, if you're really interested. I might even have some extra copies myself.

As for Java and C++, I'm in about the same boat ... I know the syntax, and can write code that works, but I'm still getting a handle on abstract classes, inheretence hierarchies, etc. Pointers are evil... useful, but evil. I'd love to learn Visual Basic (add it to the list of the 5,000 other things I am doing)... Jake, where are the programming aids you've been using?

Hmm. I'll look into Aikido-- the more I hear about it, the more perfect it sounds, especially as a complement to the Sword Arts. I have a friend who studied it for a few years, and he really liked it as well. I wish they taught it at the Dojo I'm going to now... the Sensei is awesome, but he only teaches the Sword Arts and Shotokan Karate. Oh, well. I'll check into it.

I enjoy some historical content in my video games... it makes me feel like I'm not completely wasting my time. I have studied a lot about warrior cultures and the ethical codes that they give rise to, like Chivalry and Bushido. I'll ask this... how much does AOE resemble the Civ series? I didn't like the Civ games very much, so if it's like that, I'll probably take a pass.
Unread 18th of May, 2002, 05:55
TheCrookedPath
Ghoul

I've never played them, but AoE 2 does closely resemble starcraft/warcraft, and slightly Command and Conquer. The upgrade system is a lot like starcraft, with the addition of different "ages", which you reach by meeting certain prerequisites and putting the research time in. starting out in the dark ages, you get more tech as you pass through an age, until you reach something along the lines of 16th or 17th century europe....gunpowder and the like.
Unread 18th of May, 2002, 06:12
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

it is similar to the civ series (which i do like) only in that it covers the development of real-world civilizaitons. playability is much closer to starcraft, but with extra layers of complication (more units, more research possibilities, and more complex strategy - some units do better than other in certain things)
Unread 22nd of May, 2002, 04:59
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

well, i suppose it's time to expand a little more on that obscure Groundhog Day reference. don't forget, though, i am a god, just not the God.

i'm 27, a chemist trapped in an engineering job, and a Southerner trapped in the Midwest.

i'm originally from south mississippi. my wife of 2.5 years and i came here about 4 years ago; me for grad school, her for work. we would like to move back South and build some kids, hopefully soon.

ummm... what else?

i don't computer game, save a little GTA2 every now and again. i'm much better at the hardware part of computers than the software, but i can get around html and unix well enough to hurt myself. by contrast, i've built every computer i've owned since i was 15 from parts. just don't ask me to program anything.

i started my gaming career with 2ndEd AD&D and Rifts/Palladium when i was about 17. my younger brother actually got me into it, then in college i found a group and played White Wolf and D&D pretty much exclusively. after leaving for grad school, i quit gaming until 3rdEd D&D came out, and hooked up with a group up here via the internet.

this is my first foray into any type of online-gaming, and i'm having a lot of fun. hopefully, this game will last a while and curb my hunger for gaming, as i only get to play D&D once every two weeks now.

well, that's enough for now. can't divulge all my secrets at once.
Unread 22nd of May, 2002, 08:14
curmudgeon42
Ghoul

a chemist / engineer would say "build some kids" :-)
Unread 1st of June, 2002, 01:32
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

anyone play the board game, "Settlers of Catan"? very nice, IMO.