Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Saint Alphonzo's Games > Mercury Ascending

Unread 11th of May, 2002, 05:49
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Member: #109
Juliet's jaw drops open and she stands unmoving on the sidewalk, unable to rip her eyes from the check in her hands.

After several failed attempts, she finally closes her mouth and swallows, still staring at the small piece of paper in her hand, specifically the 10,000 part of it.

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god.

"Oh my god."

The sound of her voice seems to break the frozen state she was in and Juliet finally returns the check to the envelope. A small grin starts to form on her face and her eyes trail down the street, where the sleek car had gone.

"Thanks."

She pockets the check and then looks around herself. All of a sudden, she starts to laugh, unable to contain her excitement and disbelief any longer.

"10,000 dollars. 10,000 dollars!!"

She finally gets control of herself, smooths her clothes out, clears her throat and starts walking down the street. Her brain starts working normally again and her thoughts now voice some doubts.

But what is it for? What did I do to deserve it? Why did Mr. ... or Dr. Hamburg give me 10,000 dollars?
Unread 13th of May, 2002, 22:52
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

Member: #57
Juliet barely contains her enthusiasm as she walks down the side-street. Ahead, she sees more people along one of the more populated avenues. Anxious to celebrate her newfound wealth and discover more of her surroundings, she scampers toward the sights and sounds of Mercury.

Evidently in a downtown district, Juliet is inundated with pedestrians, and the open-air restaurants are packed with late-night diners.

With her stomach still turning over from the thought of the check and her new prospects, Juliet is content to walk the length of the downtown district, window-shopping and perusing her new home.

<ooc: anything specific Juliet wishes to do, please feel free to.>
Unread 14th of May, 2002, 20:06
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliet passes each shop slowly, peering through the windows, but nothing really catches her eyes. She already knows what she wants. She starts walking a little more quickly down the street, looking for a specific store. After ten minutes or so, she finds it.

Creative Works

She peers through the window and sees easels, paints, brushes, palettes, etc. The store is like her Disneyland and she resists the urge to skip inside, the giddy smile covering her face.

She buys new brushes, oil paints, 10 new canvases, palette paper and a new easel. They deliver so she gives the clerk her address and walks happily out the store.

Now I need a place to put everything. I want a studio.

She sighs a very happy sigh and starts looking around for a phone, with a phonebook attached. She finds one almost immediately and searches through the yellow pages. Finding the number she wants, she calls and makes an appointment to see a studio this afternoon.

Hmm. What now?

The money is already burning a hole in her pocket.

Well, there's always drugs. But that will be a bit harder. I have no connections in this city. I'll have to look for the users and see if they're any help.

"Great. That's always fun."

She heads for downtown, figuring she'll have the best luck there. She can tell as soon as she reaches the center of the city. Everything is dirtier and more crowded. And people tend to keep to themselves more, rushing through or loitering on the corners, depending on what kind of people they are.

Juliet now uses her life vision on the people around her, checking for a certain chemical in their systems.

C'mon. Don't fail me now.

<ooc: Life1 to do the search for the chemical>
Unread 15th of May, 2002, 07:30
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

Walking along, Juliet, as non-chalantly as possible, sings several notes aloud, focusing the rhythm through her own Pattern, allowing it to feel the rhythm of those Life Patterns nearest her. Eventually, the song she begins repeats in her mind, fluctuating mildly with every new target she focuses on.

She does receive some strange looks, but the people of Mercury are pleasant, especially considering the recent drought and heatwave. The Life Patterns of those residents show a distinct vibrancy as well, almost as if they were more alive than normal.

Eventually, she does find the tell-tale physical signs of drug use in a group of young college-student types, two male, two female. Nothing heavy, three of the four show signs of recent marijuana consumption, the fourth's Pattern races and ebbs with the distinct "sound" of LSD.

They are waiting to enter a small club, "Club Iguana".

<ooc: crap. forgot to add that to detect the actual presence of a chemical substance in a Pattern, you'd need Life and Matter 1. Having had experience with drugs and drug-culture, though, you can recognize familiar shifts in Patterns closely enough to guess what someone's on.>

<ooc2: crap again. i have no idea how much art supplies cost, so we'll say that Juliet spends, what, $500.00?>

Last edited by Saint Alphonzo; 15th of May, 2002 at 07:32.
Unread 15th of May, 2002, 21:13
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliet follows the college students into the club without a second thought. They are the only drug users she can find and the club looks pretty interesting.

It's obviously not going to be like the raves I went to in the city but I'm definately not picky.

As soon as she passes through the doors, the great sound of techno music, laughter and conversation hit her and she smiles.

Maybe it's more like home than I thought.

The place is packed, most of the people college students like her "friends", and almost everyone is out on the floor, dancing. Juliet recognizes the song and starts dancing to it, blending in easily. She follows the four drug users deeper into the crowd.

<ooc: alrighty. the spheres and how to use them and so on is still the hardest part for me in the game. I'll have to read up on it more.

And 500 for the supplies sounds perfect.>
Unread 15th of May, 2002, 22:08
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

The place is buzzing with movement, and the party here rivals any that Juliet visited in NYC. With one exception... the crowd here is much more friendly. Instead of the usual gatherings of tiny cliques, each staking its own claim to a certain section of floor or bank of seats, everyone here acts as if they had known each other for years. Juliet is welcomed in heartily, and finds herself dancing amidst the group she walked in with.

One of the girls, a small, elven-looking waif pipes up, "I like your suit, sweetie. Hi, I'm Jane."
Unread 16th of May, 2002, 03:21
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliet looks down at her suit and laughs.

"Oh yeah, this. Thanks. I don't wear them often but I had a job interview today. Oh and it's nice to meet you. My name is Juliet."

She sticks her hand out, shaking Jane's small hand.

"I really love this place. The club I mean. I came from New York City and I didn't think it could get better than that. Especially not in Mercury, Az. But here I am, having the best time I've had in a while."
Unread 16th of May, 2002, 08:19
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

The two make as pleasant a small talk as one could under the droning music and flashing lights. Retiring to a clear plexiglass table on an outside deck, Jane and her tall, lanky boyfriend, Tim, invite Juliet to join them for a break from the nonstop party indoors.

Tim, after scoping the area, produces a small pipe, packs a bowl of some beautifully aromatic bud, and offers the first hit to Juliet.
Unread 17th of May, 2002, 10:20
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliet takes it and sighs with obvious pleasure.

"Oh I have needed that all day. Interviews are hard, stressful work and I am so glad that was my first AND last. And I'm so glad I found this place and you guys and"

She looks dreamily at the pipe.

"And this old friend."

She laughs and passes the pipe onto Jane.
Unread 22nd of May, 2002, 03:30
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

"Consider yourself hooked-up, then. If you're looking to buy in bulk, that is. We got no time for pin-rollers, but the way you hit that pipe, you're pro."

The trio dance and smoke until the small hours, when Jane and Tim bow out and head for home. Feeling the first pangs of a marijuana hangover, Juliet follows shortly thereafter.
Unread 23rd of May, 2002, 22:04
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliets head is spinning with thoughts of her interview this morning, the faces of her new friends, their conversations and exhaustion. She walks slowly down the street, trying hard to stay alert and just find her home.

I hope I'm going the right way.
Unread 24th of May, 2002, 21:43
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

Collapsing at the front door, Juliet's head swims in euphoria. Lurching inside, she fumbles over the many packages stacked inside the foyer. A hastily scrawled note from her roommate reads, "Clean this Shit up." He is nowhere to be found.

In a dream-like stupor, Juliet readies herself for bed, and falls asleep quickly.

Violent dreams haunt her fitful slumber, visions of monstrous beings with rows of sharp spines up and down their backs flit between other visions of people she has never seen before.

A beautiful, raven-haired, pale-skinned woman, whose eyes flash with an unearthly red glow.

A disfigured, nauseatingly ugly man, his bulbuous bald head pulses.

A dignified man of many years. His flowing white hair perfectly frames his alluring face.

A gaunt young man, with close-cropped brown hair and an intellectual air about him.

Juliet wakes with a start aroung 10 am, covered in sweat and nearly blind from the morning sun that streams through the window. Not used to this strange bed, she panics momentarily, then the details of the previous night come rushing back.

Trudging to the bathroom, she splashes cold water on her face and reflects quietly with the cool towel pressed against her face.

Lowering the towel, the vision in the mirror startles her enough that she lets out a blood-curdling scream.

<ooc: Juliet's Appearance score has risen 2 points, mysteriously, during the night. i'll ask you to please describe the changes, as i don't have a real good grasp on what she looked like before. the effect is prevalent over her entire body, not just her face.>
Unread 28th of May, 2002, 22:36
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliet stares at her reflection, mouth open and eyes wide, for almost half a minute. The scream becomes silent but her mouth stays open, in the shocked O. She can't take her eyes away from the mirror or even close them, fascinated and horrified at the same time. She finally squeezes her eyes shut.

That's not me. I'm seeing that as part of my hangover. I'm still waking up and I'm just hallucinating. That can't be me.

She opens her eyes again, reluctantly, and lets out a small gasp, her hand flying to her mouth.

"Oh my god."

What happened to me?

Her curly hair had fallen out of its ponytail at some point last night and now tumbles in shiny ringlets around her shoulders. Where it should be frizzy and wild, it's smooth and defined, the curls loose and shiny. The dull black color of her hair is now almost blinding.

Her face still has the same pale complexion, always contrasting beautifully with her raven colored hair, but it's smoother and clearer. The small scars she had from her teenage acne or scratching a chicken pox too many times are completely gone. Her cheeks are flushed a perfect rosy color and her lips a deep natural red. Even her eyes seem bigger, more open, and their green color sparkles back at Juliet. It's as if she had gotten the perfect makeover and the makeup had seeped into her skin, making her flawless forever.

Juliet brings her hand up slowly, to touch her perfect skin, and let's out another small gasp. Her hands have changed as well. The once bitten and stubby nails are longer, manicured and shiny. The skin around them shows no sign of the abuse she inflicts on her fingers with the nervous habit. And her hands are infinitely smoother, the signs of her trade gone from her skin. She finds her feet in the same condition, nails manicured and skin smoother. Even the soles show no signs of the small rough patches she had from walking.

In fact, her entire body is smoother and firmer. She inspects her arms and legs, to find them still slim and small but the muscles more defined. Her stomach is a little flatter and a little stronger, faint muscles lining it. Even her chest has changed, increasing in size just perfectly.

She stands in front of the mirror, unable to move or stop looking at herself. The change is shocking and Juliet feels as if she's in a dream.

"I'm ... gorgeous."

She whispers this and it snaps her out of her daydream.

This is too weird. I must be hallucinating ... or ... something.

It's so real though and she doesn't believe herself. Looking doubtfully at the mirror one more time, she turns away and starts her shower, staring at her manicured hand as it turns the knob.

Right. Just a hallucination.

<ooc: tell me if I changed her too much. I wasn't sure how far to take it.>
Unread 29th of May, 2002, 00:12
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

<ooc: fine by me.>

Given the rough night coupled with what little sleep she got, Juliet expects to be dragging her feet all day, listlessly shambling through until she can get a nap or just some quiet reflective time.

Not so, however. Once overcoming the initial shock of her mysterious transformation, she feels energized and full of vigor. She even squeezes the shampoo bottle a little too roughly, squirting half the bottle down the drain. When she reaches for the towel, she pulls it down with such force that the rod it had hung on falls off the wall.

Dressing in a faded blue T-shirt and jean-shorts, she admires herself once again. The shirt, once tight across her middle and loose across her chest, is now oppositely so, and she ponders a new wardrobe with her newfound income.

That can wait a bit, I think. First thing's first. New home, new studio.

She walks down to the First Mercury Savings and Loan to open an account and deposit the check from Mr./Dr. Hamburg. Immediately upon entering the bank, she gets an odd sensation, like there's a smell here she's familiar with. Not perfumy or flowery. More like a primal, musky odor. The bank's management are very helpful, and provide her with complimentary checks while her others are being printed.
Unread 29th of May, 2002, 21:07
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliet walks into the bank and stops mid stride. The air seems different, familiar and the smell of it keeps her feet glued to the floor for a couple of seconds.

I know this. It's so ... so good.

She heaves a sigh, wavering slightly on her feet, before continuing toward the desk, the scent mingling around hers and filling her head.

She smiles to the teller and hands him the check.

"I'd like to, uh, open an ... account."

She feels dizzy, intoxicated and struggles to get control of herself.

Where have I felt like this before?

The question remains unanswered, the musky odor blocking intelligent thought for the time being.

Geez. I need to get out of here.
Unread 29th of May, 2002, 23:52
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

As pleasurable as the aroma is, Juliet focuses on the task at hand, remembering the dinner engagement she has for later that evening. Gathering all the information she has obtained from the bank officials, she takes one last, endearingly deep breath before leaving.

The midday sun blinds her momentarily, and all the moisture in her smooth skin is seemingly whisked away, as a dry wind blows through the parking lot.

Hopping a bus for the downtown district, she marvels at the vibrancy of the few people on board. Even though they are blasted by the scorching heatwave, these residents of Mercury are happy and talkative. She notices several looks from the males on board, and recalls again that she really is more beautiful than she was yesterday. Pondering this drastic change, she nearly misses her stop.

Lunching in a small coffee shop, she picks up the Real Estate section of the local newspaper, searching for listings for studio apartments.
Unread 2nd of June, 2002, 22:37
Malfunctionk
Zombie

After about ten minutes, Juliet finds a few potential apartments and randomly calls one of them. The man that picks up is very businesslike and polite and an appointment is made quickly.

"Ok, I'll see you at 2 then. Thank you."

With that done and some time to spare before the appointment, Juliet decides to go check out the local art. At the club she heard someone talking about a block away rom Club Iguana that showcased local talents.

She grins and starts walking toward it.

Now I can check out the competition.
Unread 3rd of June, 2002, 23:50
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

The "museum" Juliet finds is more of an add-on to an existing business, a bakery, in fact. The air is permeated with the smell of bread and cinnamon, but with the ovens in such close proximity to the small room, the temperature is nigh unbearable. There are numerous small tables and chairs, all empty.

Business in the bakery must be good, because no one comes out from the back to disturb Juliet as she meanders through the gallery. She hears the sounds of sifting, rolling, and pans banging in and out of open oven doors.

The pieces in the gallery are modest, mostly realistic, charcoal drawings. Some desert landscapes done with sepia ink, cityscapes, and a few portraits round out the amateur collection. From the signatures and minute plaques hanging below each piece, it appears that most of the art has been provided by local high school art classes.

Feeling more than a little superior, Juliet travels across town to the small gallery Hamburg told her about the previous night. Inside the air-conditioned building, Juliet's breath is taken away as she steps in. From the outside, the building appears to be nothing more than a three story office building, situated amidst coffee-houses and a music store. Inside, the building has been drastically transformed from its previous state.

Juliet looks up to see an immense skylight, three stories above her. One wall of the gallery is covered entirely in a mosaic of colored glass and mirrors, sheets of water pouring down into a large fountain at ground level. The reflections from the running water and mirrors light the entire room brilliantly.

Wide catwalks line the three other walls, and, as Juliet admires the art, all done by young professionals such as herself, she swells with pride that Hamburg considers her work suitable to be included here among the many fine pieces.
Unread 6th of June, 2002, 07:55
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliet walks slowly around the gallery, staring in awe at the paintings. The giddy feeling, brought on by the fact that she's going to be displayed with these fellow artists, is still bubbling inside of her.

I can't believe this is happening. It really is too good to be true. I've got a new job, a place to showcase my art, lots of money and a new place. All in a little over a week. Way too good to be true.

But she doesn't dwell on her luck, but instead becomes engrossed in a large abstract oil painting to her left. She keeps thinking of a rain storm as she gazes at the painting, admiring the composition and vivid colors. When she finally wrenches her eyes away from it and looks at her watch, her jaw drops.

1:58

"Shit!"

She rushes out of the gallery, swearing under her breath.

I'm really doing well with the first impressions in this city.
Unread 7th of June, 2002, 00:34
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

Due to her tardiness, Juliet misses her appointment with the realtor, and reschedules for the next day. Rather than acting superior and condescending, the office assistant is cordial and assures her that, "these things happen, darling, don't worry about it." Juliet is provided with numerous listings and encouraged to narrow down the options based on her own proclivities and price-range before returning the next day. The friendly assistant even circles a few locations on a map of the city, informing Juliet of the "bad" neighborhoods.

Apologizing profusely, she steps back into the midday heat. The sweltering atmosphere drains her energy instantly, and, wanting so much to be engaging and aware for her dinner-meeting tonight with her new bosses, she decides to spend the rest of the afternoon at home, lounging in air-conditioned comfort.

Arriving back at her temporary lodging, she finds that the Cultist roommate is still nowhere to be found, and no nasty notes taint her arrival.

What is waiting for her is a package from Hamburg, along with a note...

Dearest Ms. Montague,

Please do not think me too forward. My days as a lecher are far behind me. My driver will pick you up at 8:30.

Sincerely,

Max
Hamburg's Copperplate script is perfection, and nearly as beautiful as any painting or sculpture Juliet has seen. She subconsciously raises the note to her nose, and breathes in Hamburg's scent, an intoxicating mixture of sandalwood, soap, and something unnamable.

The package is a vinyl hanging bag, inside is the quintessential "little black dress". Although a simple, strapless, unadorned thing, it is a beautiful piece, obviously handcrafted by some expert. It fits Juliet perfectly.
Unread 10th of June, 2002, 23:09
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliet spins around in front of her mirror, laughing.

Last night I would have really laughed at this dress. But now ... now it's perfect.

She gazes into the mirror, smoothing her hands down her sides, for several more minutes.

"Hello Mr. Hamburg. It's wonderful to see you again."

"Good evening Mr. Hamburg. This is a lovely place you have here. Thank you for inviting me."

"Hello Sam. This is a great place you have here. And it's wonderful to see you again."

She shakes her head and steps away from the mirror.

It'll be Mr. Hamburg and you won't be mentioning how wonderful it is to see him.

She grins and reluctantly takes off the dress, slipping into her jeans again. She still has a lot of time to waste, so she decides to do some work. An easel is already set up in her bedroom and she stays by it for several hours, painting.
Unread 11th of June, 2002, 10:28
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

Juliet starts on a piece she's had in mind for several weeks, an abstract landscape. Ever since moving out west, she has been in awe of the myriad of natural features the land has to offer. She dips the fan brush in some sky blue, and, touching it to the canvas, it breaks through the material, leaving a dripping scar on the blank void.

CRAP!!

After throwing away the ruined canvas and brush, Juliet approaches the easal stealthily, but has no more difficulty transferring her vision to reality. Time passes, and she readies herself to meet the driver that will take her to Hamburg's residence.

The black dress accentuates her new figure perfectly, and she finds that only the minimum of accesories are necessary to finish off the outfit.

The driver drops her off at an understated hacienda, a stucco clad one-story dwelling, covered in ivy and surrounded with local shrubberies.

She adjusts herself one last time, steeling her will against the onslaught of Hamburg's charismatic prowess over her. When the door opens and Hamburg greets her, as stylish as ever in a black turtleneck and dark red sportscoat, she is ready for him.

"Welcome, Ms. Montague, to my home..."
Unread 11th of June, 2002, 23:12
Malfunctionk
Zombie

She flashes a smile at him.

"Good evening Mr. Hamburg. You have a beautiful place here."

She steps inside his home, the door shutting with finality behind her and her low heels making small clicks on the hardwood floor.

She stops in the middle of the small front room and turns back to Hamburg.

"So, what's on the agenda tonight? Good food I assume ... and hopefully more of that wonderful wine."

She grins widely at him, laughing.

This is easier than I thought it would be...
Unread 12th of June, 2002, 13:47
Saint Alphonzo
Wraith [GM]

Hamburg smiles widely, and, without any attempt to hide it, admires Juliet's physical form.

"I must say, it has been so long since I have seen anyone as beautiful cross my door. It's a pleasure to see you again, Juliet. Please, come in..."

Hamburg places his arm around her waist, his touch is warm to the point of being almost feverishly so. He leads her gracefully into a dining room, already set for dinner. The room, in fact, the whole house, is decorated in a strange melange of southwestern and egyptian motifs.

Seated at the table, rising as Juliet enters the room, is a young man, familiar to Juliet, even though they've never met.

Scott, the buyer, the short haired guy from my dream...

Scott bows slightly, his arm held to mid-chest. He states, without any recognition of the stunning beauty that Juliet is, "Greetings... Ms. Montague".

Juliet recognizes a tenseness between Hamburg and "Scott" instantly <Perception + Intuition=8 successes>.
Unread 15th of June, 2002, 02:10
Malfunctionk
Zombie

Juliet looks between the two men carefully and then turns to Scott.

"Good evening Scott. It's a pleasure to meet you."

She smiles at the two men, wondering what how this meeting will play out.