Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Tournaments

View Poll Results: Choose your Favorite
Lily Moonsong 5 62.50%
Wang Xiao Yun 1 12.50%
Both 1 12.50%
Neither 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Unread 9th of October, 2005, 02:08
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Gladiator Winner's Bracket Round 3 Match 1

Well folks, things are getting tougher. We're down to just 4 undefeated gladiators at the Intermediate level, and two of them are going to lose in just a few short minutes. Who will they be?

That's right, half of the current winners will be entering the loser's bracket tommorow. Will one of them be Lily, the beautiful dancer? Or maybe Wang, the orc with the allies? Will the little Lone Halfling and his trusty companion D. Biscuit lose? Or will the oversized Burning Sand find his way into the braket below?

Well, we're about to find out.

That's right, and there's a twist. Up until now the matches have been in fairly confined subsections of the arena, and the original plan was for that to continue until the very end. The Duke, however, has decided to spice things up. He's ordered the Keepers to set-up the arena for a full arena match, and then order the wizards to maintain a divide through the middle.

That's right folks, for the first time, we're going to see the whole arena used at this level. That means larger obstacles and the menagerie are in play.

How will the gladiators react? Let's find out, shall we?

On the Victor's Arch end of the arena, we have Lily and Wang. And it seems Wang's Bear is going to be busy right from the start. That Dire Boar is breathing down his neck.

Well, let's find out. Lily and Wang, introduce yourself to the crowd.

Lily:
Crowd Attitude: 15.125 (Liked, +2 morale bonus attacks & damage)
HP: 61

Wang Xiao Yun:
Crowd Attitude: 9.625 (Appreciated, +1 morale bonus attacks & damage)
HP: 85

Brown Bear:
HP: 51

Heavy Warhorse:
HP: 30

Lily, Wang, you have 24 hours to post your round 1 actions. This action is supposed to be for showmanship.

Also post your equipment list, and if diffrent from last round, how the changes effect your stats.
Unread 9th of October, 2005, 02:11
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by Lord Twig Lily looks out at the arena. She is happy to have room to move, but realizes that the mounted Wang has many advantages as well, not the least of which is his bear companion. Determined to take the lead in the upcoming dance Lily begins.

Her moves are precise and disciplined. Each ends in a martial form, she holds it for a fraction of a second before moving again, leaving behind an image which then quickly follows after her. Her movements carry her up onto a platform where she ends her dance.

Cast Mirror Image, dance/tumble/jump to K19. Use Perform: Dance using Tumble to assist.

Adamant Rapier in hand. Dodge opponent is the first to attack her or Wang if I can't do that.

Equipment: Adamant Rapier, MW Rapier, MW Composite Longbow (+2 Str), 20 Arrows, Spell Component Pouch

Spells Remaining:
0: Acid Splash, Flare, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1: Mage Armor, Magic Missile (x2), Shield
2: Scorching Ray (x2)

Edit:
Okay if Lily goes second. She will NOT move to K19, that would be stupid. She would instead move to J16.
Unread 9th of October, 2005, 02:11
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by Jiriku At last! Room to move. Moonsong is a deft opponent as well. This will be a good match.

"Clear waters and cool skies to you, Lily Moonsong!" Wang Xiao Yun calls out, and bows to his opponent. "My strength against your skill! We shall see who emerges the victor!"

With a crackle of muscle and sinew, he leaps into the saddle and slips into the familiar world of his animals. The snarls and yowls of the chained beasts resolve into angry complaints and threats as their speech becomes clear.

Laughing, he kicks his horse into a gallop and thunders across the dusty ground of the arena.

---------
Xiao Yun activates his speak with animals spell-like ability.
Xiao Yun moves to LM19/20. Xiao Yun rides to impress the crowd.
Xiao Yun readies his glaive as he rides.
Bear withdraws to IJ18/19.

Power Attack is set to +0/+0 for the duration of the match, unless specified otherwise.
During round 1, neither Xiao Yun nor his animals will take attacks of opportunity against Lily.

Equipment: masterwork greatsword, masterwork glaive, masterwork mighty (+8) composite longbow, tanglefoot bag, heavy warhorse with tack and masterwork saddle

Spells:
Level 0: guidance, light, resistance
Level 1: obscuring mist

Also, a request for the map. I can't see the poles that the critters are chained to. Would you please add those poles, so I can judge how far the critters are able to move?
Unread 9th of October, 2005, 02:12
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Initiative:
Lily: 4+5=9
Wang: 17+1=18
Dire Wolverine: 11+3=14
Dire Boar: 20+0=20
Dire Wolf: 2+3=5

Initiative Order: Dire Boar, Wang, Dire Wolverine, Lily, Dire Wolf

Round 1:
Dire Boar is restrained and takes no action.

Wang activates his speak with animals ability.
Wang rides to impress. 19+15=34 vs. DC 25. Success. Crowd attitude towards Wang improves 2 steps. Wang is now Liked (+2 morale bonus attacks & damage).

Warhorse moves. Jump check to clear low wall. 6+4=10 vs. DC 10. Success.

Brown Bear withdraws.

Dire Wolverine is restrained and takes no action.

Lily casts mirror image.
Lily moves, dancing and tumbling to impress. Tumble check vs DC 10 is automatic, even with accelerated movement penalty, to get +2 circumstance bonus on dance. Perform (Dance) 7+10+2 (circumstance bonus from Tumble)+2 (circumstance bonus from spell)-10 (accelerated movement)=11 vs. DC 20. Fails. Crowd is not impressed. Jump to hop up onto low platform is automatic.

Dire Wolf is restrained and takes no action.

Round 2:
Dire Boar steps in the direction of the withdrawing Bear, but stops when his chain pulls tight.

Lily:
Dodge Target: Wang
Mirror image (4 images) (expires in round 71)

Wang Xiao Yun:
Crowd Attitude: 11.625 (Liked, +1 morale bonus attacks & damage)
Speak with animals (expires in round 31)
HP: 85

Brown Bear:

Heavy Warhorse:

Dire Boar:
HP: 97

Dire Wolverine:
HP: 107

Dire Wolf:
HP: 112

Well, things are getting way in an impressive manner for Wang.

And while her start wasn't quite so impressive, Lily's certianly found a tactically sound position.

Wang, you have 24 hours to post your round 2 action.
Unread 9th of October, 2005, 02:12
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by Jiriku "Clever girl. But such beauty and wit should not be admired from a distance. I think we should get closer. Much closer!"

With a snarl, Xiao Yun vaults from the saddle onto a high platform, crouching to absorb the impact of landing. The glaive drops with a harsh clang as he leaps again, hoping that fortune is with him as he tackles an elf-maiden who might be the real Lily.

---------
The horse takes a 5' step to LM/18-19 and takes full defense.
Xiao Yun fast-dismounts into K17, attempting to impress the crowd.
The bear squeezes to HI/17-18, then to HI/15-16.
The bear makes a claw attack against Lily, attempting to start a grapple.
Xiao Yun rages.
Xiao Yun drops his glaive and makes a full attack against Lily, attempting to start a grapple.
Unread 9th of October, 2005, 02:31
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Warhorse steps and goes on full defense.

Wang dismounts, attempting to impress the crowd 20+15=35 vs. DC 25. Success. Crowd attitude towards Wang improves 2 steps.

Bear moves and knocks over a low wall so that he can position himself to attack next round.

Wang rages and attempts to start a grapple. Targets image 4 of 5 (Lily is 5). Grab 7+14=21 vs. Touch AC 15. Hits. Image is destroyed.
Wang attempts to start a grapple. Targets image 2 of 4 (Lily is 4). Grab 10+14=24 vs. Touch AC 15. Hits. Image is destroyed.

Dire Wolverine steps towards action, stopping when it reaches the end of its chain.

Lily:
Mirror image (2 images) (expires in round 71)

Wang Xiao Yun:
Crowd Attitude: 13.625 (Liked, +1 morale bonus attacks & damage)
Rage (+4 Str, +4 Con, +2 Will, -2 AC) (expires in round 10)
HP: 103

Brown Bear:

Heavy Warhorse:

Dire Boar:

Dire Wolverine:

Dire Wolf:

Two Lily's down. Two to go to find the real one.

Lily, you have 24 hours to post your round 2 action.
Unread 10th of October, 2005, 13:10
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Member: #1477
Lily is hard pressed and knows it, but there is nothing to do but fight on and hope her luck holds.

"No offence Master Yun, or is it Master Wang? But I must refuse your advances."

Lily deftly casts behind the defense of her slashing blade and two beams of heat spring towards the Half-Orc towering over her. She then dances always and dodges behind a hedge.

Cast Scorching Ray on the defensive, take 10 on the roll, both rays aimed at Wang. Lily then Dances/tumbles away from Wang and the bear and dances to M13. Wang is still her dodge target.
Unread 10th of October, 2005, 13:52
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Lily casts scorching ray on the defensive (check is automatic when she takes 10). 18+15=33 and 3+15=18 vs. Touch AC 9. Both hit. Deals 12+2=14 & 10+2=12 fire damage. Crowd attitude towards Lily improves 1 step.
Note: Since Lily needs to tumble to avoid provoking AoOs for movement, tumble has to be the primary skill check instead of Perform (Dance).
Lily moves tumbling and dancing to avoid AoOs and impress. Jump to hop up onto low platform is automatic. Tumble 1+19-10=10 vs. DC 15 to avoid AoOs. Fails. Lily provokes an AoO from Wang (she has cover from Brown Bear, so he doesn’t get an AoO). Wang attacks. Targets image 3 of 3 (Lily is 3). 8+16+2 (flanking)+1 (higher ground)=27 vs. AC 18. Hits. Deals 1+10=11 damage. Perform (Dance) 14+10-10 (accelerated movement)=14 vs. DC 10. Success. Lily gets a +2 circumstance bonus on the tumble check to impress. 10+2 (circumstance bonus from Perform (Dance))=12 vs. DC 25 to impress. Fails. Crowd is not impressed. Jump 9+11=20 vs. DC 20 to clear low wall. Success.

Dire Wolf steps towards the action, stopping when it reaches the end of its chain.

Round 3:
Dire Boar cannot reach any competitor, nor move closer to one, and therefore takes no action.

Lily:
Crowd Attitude: 16.125 (Liked, +2 morale bonus attacks & damage)
Mirror image (2 images) (expires in round 71)
HP: 50

Wang Xiao Yun:
Crowd Attitude: 13.625 (Liked, +2 morale bonus attacks & damage)
HP: 77

Brown Bear:

Heavy Warhorse:

Dire Boar:

Dire Wolverine:

Dire Wolf:

Lily's not holding back the fire power this round.

Wang, you have 24 hours to post your round 3 action.

Last edited by Black Plauge; 11th of October, 2005 at 22:40.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 01:09
Jiriku
Skeleton

Member: #1501
***BP, I didn't specify it earlier, because I hadn't considered that Lily might draw an AoO, but Xiao Yun prefers for all of his unarmed attacks to deal nonlethal damage. Since his improved unarmed strike feat allows him to deal nonlethal damage with no penalty, can we go back and convert that 11 damage to nonlethal?

--------

Xiao Yun grimaces as the twin blasts of flame sear his hide. "Now that's what I call a scathing retort, Miss Moonsong. But I think you'll find that I'm persistent!"

Suiting deeds to words, Xiao Yun expertly returns to the saddle and spurs his mount forward, then vaults once more onto high ground near the elf maiden.

"Wang is my surname. But this is only our first time out together, and already you're asking about my family? I really think you're moving too fast for me."

With a grunt of effort, the orc barbarian once more tries to close range and grapple with his opponent. "Let's see if we can't pin you down for a bit."

---------
The bear moves to HI/11-12, then to KL/10-11, then to LM/11-12. This should draw an AoO from the dire boar, but avoid an AoO from Lily. If this is not a legal move, please choose an alternate path for the bear that ends in LM/11-12.
Xiao Yun fast-mounts onto his steed and rides to M14-15, then fast-dismounts into N14. Xiao Yun is attempting to impress the crowd.
While Xiao Yun is still mounted, the horse makes a hoof attack against Lily.
After Xiao Yun dismounts, he makes a grapple attack against Lily.

From now on, all of Xiao Yun's unarmed strikes will deal nonlethal damage. All AoO's by Xiao Yun or the bear will be grapple attempts.

Last edited by Jiriku; 12th of October, 2005 at 02:13.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 03:07
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Note: Since the change doesn’t involve any rerolling, I will adjust the damage. I also forgot to add the crowd attitude bonuses for Lily fooling an opponent with mirror image, that has been fixed now.

Brown Bear moves, drawing an AoO for movement from the Dire Boar. Dire Boar attacks. 18+17=35 vs. AC 15. Hits. Deals 7+13=20 damage.

Xiao Yun mounts. 10+15=25 vs. DC 20. Mounting is a free action.

Warhorse moves and attacks. Targets image 1 of 3 (Lily is 3). 18+6-4 (squeezing)=20 vs. AC 19 (+4 cover). Hits. Image is destroyed. Crowd attitude towards Lily improves 1 step (fooled opponent with illusion).

Xiao Yun dismounts. 15+15=30 vs. DC 20. Dismounting is a free action.
Xiao Yun attacks, attempting to start a grapple. Targets image 2 of 2 (Lily is 2). Grab 2+16+2 (flanking)+1 higher ground=21 vs. Touch AC 18. Hits. Hold 5+19=24 vs. 3+10=13. Hold established. Deals 1+10=11 non-lethal damage. Xiao Yun moves into Lily’s space. Lily and Xiao Yun are now grappling.

Dire Wolverine rears up and places its front paws on the platform, looking to get closer to the fight.

Lily:
Crowd Attitude: 19.125 (Liked, +2 morale bonus attacks & damage)
Mirror image (1 images) (expires in round 71)
Non-lethal damage: 22

Wang Xiao Yun:

Brown Bear:
HP: 31

Heavy Warhorse:

Dire Boar:

Dire Wolverine:

Dire Wolf:

Well, Wang's managed to grab a hold of Lily now. Though with the way Lily dresses and that mirror image spell it looks more like a menage á trois than a wrestling match.

Lily, you have 24 hours to post your round 3 action.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 04:06
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Lily's banter gives way to a scream of frustration as she struggles in the massive Half-Orc's grasp.

Lily attempts to escape the grapple. If her first attempt succeeds she tumbles/dances away (and attempts to impress the crowd) and moves to O9. Her dodge opponent is still Wang, so her AC against him should be 19, not 18. Not that it would have mattered so far.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 04:32
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Note: Damn Dodge feat.

Lily tries to escape the grapple. 4+10=14 vs. 17+19=36. Fails.
Lily tries to escape the grapple. 17+10=27 vs. 18+19=37. Fails.

Dire Wolf steps closer to fight.

Round 4:
Dire Boar steps closer to fight.

Lily:
Crowd Attitude: 19.125 (Liked, +2 morale bonus attacks & damage)
Non-lethal damage: 22

Wang Xiao Yun:

Brown Bear:

Heavy Warhorse:

Dire Boar:

Dire Wolverine:

Dire Wolf:

Get your mind out of the gutter! This is a serious fight. Not some erotic fantasy.

Wang, you have 24 hours to post your round 4 action.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 05:05
Jiriku
Skeleton

Xiao Yun chuckles as another illusionary duplicate vanishes. "Please don't take this the wrong way Miss Moonsong, but I'm looking forward to seeing less of you." He gives a cry of triumph as he finally catches hold of her. "Now, now, don't struggle. Here we are finally, up close and personal. Why should you fear my tender caresses?" His actions bely his words however, as he buries a knee savagely into her solar plexus and wraps his great paws around her throat. "Don't worry. My beasts and I won't do anything too painful, like burn you with magical fire, for example."

------
Xiao Yun makes two grapple checks, attempting to pin, then, if successful, attempting to deal damage. All damage dealt will be nonlethal. If Xiao Yun successfully pins Lily, he will prevent her from speaking.
The bear makes a full attack against Lily, attempting to enter the grapple. All damage dealt will be nonlethal.
The horse stands quietly and chews on the hedge.

BP -- Xiao Yun was attempting to impress the crowd last round. What was the outcome of that attempt?
Also, it didn't impact the previous round, but please recall that flanking and crowd attitude benefits apply to the bear and horse as well.

Last edited by Jiriku; 12th of October, 2005 at 05:09.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 05:44
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Note: Last round’s ride checks were 25 & 30. Both beat the impress the crowd DC, but you only get it once. Crowd attitude towards Wang should be 2 points higher.

Wang attempts to pin. 18+19=37 vs. 3+10=13. Success. Lily is pinned and cannot speak. Crowd attitude towards Wang improves 1 step. Crowd attitude towards Lily worsens 1 step.
Wang attempts to grapple for damage. 7+19=26 vs. 13+10=23. Deals damage. Deals 3+10=13 non-lethal damage (max damage). Crowd attitude towards Wang improves 1 step.

Brown Bear attempts to enter the grapple. Targets image 2 of 2 (Lily is 2). Grab is automatic. Hold 12+16=24 vs. 11+10=21. Success. Deals 4+10=14 non-lethal damage (max damage). Brown Bear enters Wang & Lily’s space. Crowd attitude towards Wang improves 2 steps. Wang is now Beloved (+3 morale bonus attacks & damage).
Brown Bear attempts to deal damage via an opposed grapple check. 16+16=32 vs. 10+10=20 and 7+16=23 vs. 18+10=28. One attempt deals damage, other does not. Deals 1+11=12 non-lethal damage. Lily is staggered.

Warhorse munches on the hedge.

Dire Wolverine cannot reach anyone or get closer to the fight and takes no action.

Lily:
Crowd Attitude: 18.125 (Liked, +2 morale bonus attacks & damage)
Pinned
Staggered (may only take a standard or move action)
Non-lethal damage: 61

Wang Xiao Yun:
Crowd Attitude: 20.625 (Beloved, +3 morale bonus attacks & damage)

Brown Bear:

Heavy Warhorse:

Dire Boar:

Dire Wolverine:

Dire Wolf:

Whatever it is, its going to be over soon. With that Bear in the grapple now Lily doesn't stand much of a chance.

Lily, you have 24 hours to post your round 4 action.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 06:31
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Lily fights on like a wild cat, but it is obvious that she is fading. With a final surge she attempts once more to escape Wang's hold, but finally darkness claims her.

Attempt to escape using Escape Artist. Then pass out.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 06:53
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Lily tries to escape the grapple. Escape Artist 14+11=25 vs. Wang 12+19=31 and Brown Bear 18+16=34. Fails.

Dire Wolf cannot reach anyone or get closer to the fight and therefore takes no action.

Round 5:
Dire Boar cannot reach anyone or get closer to the fight and therefore takes no action.

Lily:
Crowd Attitude: 18.125 (Liked, +2 morale bonus attacks & damage)
Pinned
Staggered (may only take a standard or move action)
Non-lethal damage: 61

Wang Xiao Yun:
Crowd Attitude: 20.625 (Beloved, +3 morale bonus attacks & damage)

Brown Bear:

Heavy Warhorse:

Dire Boar:

Dire Wolverine:

Dire Wolf:

------------------
Map is unchanged.
------------------

She may be on the ropes, but Lily's willing to give it one last effort, it just doesn't seem to be enough.

Wang, you have 24 hours to post your round 5 action.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 09:56
Jiriku
Skeleton

"Well-fought, Miss Moonsong. If ever I was in a battle for my life, I'd be glad to have you at my side. But I'm afraid now it's lights out."

Xiao Yun continues to apply pressure as Lily's struggles weaken and finally cease, then he calls off his bear and lays Lily down on the ground, his touch oddly gentle for an orc who was choking the life out of her only moments ago.

Turning to the crowd, he lifts up his empty hands, then clasps them together in a symbol for victory.

------
Xiao Yun full attacks, grapple to pin, then grapple to damage once Lily is pinned.
If Xiao Yun fails to inflict any damage, the bear makes grapple checks to damage until Lily is unconscious.
All damage dealt will be nonlethal.
The horse taps out the first 100 numbers in the fibonacci sequence against the low wall using one of its forehooves.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 23:47
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Wang attempts to maintain the pin. 7+19=26 vs. 11+10=21. Success. Crowd attitude towards Wang improves 1 step. Crowd attitude towards Lily worsens 1 step.
Wang attempts to deal damage via an opposed grapple check. 9+19=28 vs. 19+10=29. Fails.
Brown Bear attempts to deal damage via an opposed grapple check. 14+16=30 vs. 12+10=22. Deals damage. Deals 4+11=15 non-lethal damage (max damage). Lily is unconscious. Crowd attitude towards Wang improves 4 steps (+1 max damage, +3 for not killing opponent).

Warhorse doesn’t know what the Fibonacci sequence is.

Final Crowd Attitude Score:
Lily: 17.125
Wang: 25.625

Well folks, Miss Moonsong put up quite a fight there at the end, but in the end being grappled by both an orc and a bear proved to be too much for her.

Its quite alright though. Lily will move into the loser's bracket, where she'll have a chance to redeam her self.

Indeed, and her first match up should be interesting. Both Callen and Lily use magic to augment their fighting styles, but in very diffrent ways. Which will prove victorious? Come back tommorow to find out.

Match is over. Wang wins.